How much influence did you have on your child’s college choice?

I didn't realize that! DH is mechanical, I'm electrical, and we're from the Northeast--met in college (our college had chem eng--it never would have occurred to me that one wouldn't!). Fortunately, we have a little time with that one. Also, he may go CS/computer engineering, it's still a little early to tell. But, definitely the one engineer out of the four.

For whatever reason it seems to be one discipline that is randomly left out at various schools. We were surprised.

I thought my DS had committed to an affordable in-state college, now he's backing out, and wants to go to a different college, at three times more the expense. I"m guessing, because his friends are influencing him. They equate more expensive college to better education - he did just receive a 20,000 scholarship from that college, but it's still a significant amount more. He's driving me crazy - every day he changes his mind, throwing military and tech school in there about every third day. I'm TRYING to say nothing - but May 1st is looming in the very near future!!! The problem is, he doesn't want to go to college, but he doesn't want to work full-time either. NO GO KIDDO!! Where did I go wrong???

As a parent this is where I would step in if I was paying for schooling. No way would I pay tens of thousands of dollars for any of my children to go to school when they don't really want too, or they really have no idea what they want to go for.
You didn't go wrong, it is a big decision and for some not that easy to make. For some it just takes a little more time to figure things out.

I thought my DS had committed to an affordable in-state college, now he's backing out, and wants to go to a different college, at three times more the expense. I"m guessing, because his friends are influencing him. They equate more expensive college to better education - he did just receive a 20,000 scholarship from that college, but it's still a significant amount more. He's driving me crazy - every day he changes his mind, throwing military and tech school in there about every third day. I'm TRYING to say nothing - but May 1st is looming in the very near future!!! The problem is, he doesn't want to go to college, but he doesn't want to work full-time either. NO GO KIDDO!! Where did I go wrong???
Is it possible for your DS to take a gap year?
Some teens really need that extra year to help figure it all out.
Good luck to him!

We too bought in state pre paid plans. So anything above that would be on them and they are aware of that.
1st one - only wanted in state close to home. Luckily she was accepted to the school that was her first choice- received less than $3000 scholarships. She survived 1st year and likes it this year.
second one said didn’t care where went just wanted to learn his field. His choices with scholarships prob will be about the same, one did offer $4000 off room and board too-2 offered honor program. He went with same school as first kid . His best economic choice was 6 hours away by car but I think the closer school will be a better Life fit. And I realize it is $4000 but now we can see both kids one trip, same schedules so worth it for us as family. But if he gets his scholarships all four years with the prepaid paid -he will have no debt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter