How much is your child's prom ticket and what does it include?

Interesting. Never heard of a prom with no dinner.

Just the opposite here though a few places are beginning to include the dinner. Historically, that was never the case & even today it is definitely the minority.

Traditionally cost too much and provided very little. Mostly they spend all the money on a "fancy" venue, DJ and a bit of decor. I assume there are soft drinks. My kids were at a nice hotel, the Georgia Aquarium (reserved before it was even built) and the Fox Theater. They had to rent limos/buses to get there and go out to dinner before. Wish it were an inclusive with meals but ... they want to brag about "where" it is. So it ends up a very LONG and EXPENSIVE day. And both look back and just roll their eyes. :rolleyes:

This year their school is doing Mercedes Benz Stadium, our new one, probably reserved it years ago. $60 first week, goes up $5 every week after that. Been standard for years to price that way. Price has varied. Last year they did it at a nice event venue used for fancy weddings. Where DS works they are hosting at a really hip converted urban warehouse. $50 Seniors, $60 all others. Pretty sure both are just the venue, music, themed decor and maybe some soft drinks .............

I don't know exactly how much prom is now at the high school I went to and I don't quite remember how much it was when I was in school..I have kept the ticket but I don't know where it is at the moment.

Prom didn't include dinner nor food at all. I *think* they may have had punch but I can't remember.

Ours was held at a country club though one of the options was the school gym like Homecoming was held--no one wanted that though.

Each school in the district may have been different though.

I do think that it's more common here to put more excitement and whatnot into the dinner place you go to. Limos are done though not by everyone.

$75 per person includes drinks and very little finger food. The kids go out to eat before Prom.

$85 for prom tickets. It’s at a nice venue where they hold weddings and big parties like that, and is generally like a wedding, just no alcohol. Cocktail hour, sit down dinner, dj, dancing.
Some people may drive themselves, but if they do, I haven’t seen it. Limos and party buses.
After the prom, they go down the shore for a few days. *I* want my daughter to drive down the next morning, she wants to drive down right after prom...we’ll see

Just the opposite here though a few places are beginning to include the dinner. Historically, that was never the case & even today it is definitely the minority.

Then I’m guessing the kids go out to eat somewhere as a couple or group of friends, either before or after the actual prom. So you’d still have to include that in the overall cost.

I know I’m biased, but I prefer our tradition here. As others have said, it’s comparable to a wedding reception, minus the alcohol (though I realize weddings vary greatly by region as well!)

Then I’m guessing the kids go out to eat somewhere as a couple or group of friends, either before or after the actual prom. So you’d still have to include that in the overall cost.

I know I’m biased but I think I refer our tradition here. As others have said, it’s comparable to a wedding reception, minus the alcohol (though I realize weddings vary greatly by region as well!)
But overall cost of what?

The question was how much is the prom ticket. Not how much do you typically spend on prom to which I would assume includes everything such as food, dress, suit, shoes, any boutineers and corsages, if hair and makeup was done at a salon, if mani and pedis were done, if tanning was done, transportation if other than own vehicle, etc.

But overall cost of what?

The question was how much is the prom ticket. Not how much do you typically spend on prom to which I would assume includes everything such as food, dress, suit, shoes, any boutineers and corsages, if hair and makeup was done at a salon, if mani and pedis were done, if tanning was done, transportation if other than own vehicle, etc.

Yes, of course there are other expenses. Just saying that not eating dinner at the prom venue doesn’t necessarily save you money if you’re going to a fancy restaurant.

Yes, of course there are other expenses. Just saying that not eating dinner at the prom venue doesn’t necessarily save you money if you’re going to a fancy restaurant.
That wasn't in your comment at all :confused3

You said: "So you’d still have to include that in the overall cost." Your original comment was about not hearing about a prom without dinner. I mean did the other poster mention saving money by not having dinner included in the cost of a prom ticket. I'm trying to find out where the point came into play.

I know I’m biased, but I prefer our tradition here. As others have said, it’s comparable to a wedding reception, minus the alcohol (though I realize weddings vary greatly by region as well!)

There's pluses & minuses either way. Including the meal is going to limit the maximum cost potentially, but it also raises the minimum cost.

Some of my friends & I didn't have dates, so we all ate at home & then went straight to the dance. DD & her friends had planned to go to a local diner (figure $10 per person), then ended up just doing a potluck at a friend's. If the meal were included with the ticket, that would raise the cost for kids in those scenarios.

On the flip side, many kids will drive (or take a limo) an hour to STL and drop $50+ per person on a nice meal. Including the meal with the dance could lower costs for those kids, though I suspect many would just skip the prepaid meal and go to STL anyway.

That wasn't in your comment at all :confused3

You said: "So you’d still have to include that in the overall cost." Your original comment was about not hearing about a prom without dinner. I mean did the other poster mention saving money by not having dinner included in the cost of a prom ticket. I'm trying to find out where the point came into play.

Just discussing it in general. If a dinner is not included in the prom ticket, it makes sense that the price would be lower.

Because a prom in my area is a dinner dance (not just a dance), it was surprising to hear, that’s all.

There's pluses & minuses either way. Including the meal is going to limit the maximum cost potentially, but it also raises the minimum cost.

Some of my friends & I didn't have dates, so we all ate at home & then went straight to the dance. DD & her friends had planned to go to a local diner (figure $10 per person), then ended up just doing a potluck at a friend's. If the meal were included with the ticket, that would raise the cost for kids in those scenarios.

On the flip side, many kids will drive (or take a limo) an hour to STL and drop $50+ per person on a nice meal. Including the meal with the dance could lower costs for those kids, though I suspect many would just skip the prepaid meal and go to STL anyway.

Sounds like there’s not one way that is the norm. Which can be considered a positive, since basically it gives the kids more options. :thumbsup2

Just discussing it in general. If a dinner is not included in the prom ticket, it makes sense that the price would be lower.

Because a prom in my area is a dinner dance (not just a dance), it was surprising to hear, that’s all.
Yeah..but I mean that assumes all schools are thinking about the cost of tickets in the way you are.

Just on this thread you have:
~$75 no dinner
~35 no dinner
~45 no dinner
~$15 no dinner maybe snacks not sure
~$125 mimics a wedding
~$90 dinner
~35 no dinner
~$25 apps
~$100 dinner next year $80 year after that $50 due to fundraising efforts
~$40 light snacks
~$85 dinner
~$45 light snacks
~$75 dinner

I'm not really seeing a connection between dinner or no dinner equaling less price. I'm thinking it's sorta all over the place. Some people's prices included other perks not necessarily dinner (I didn't list those though) like mini golf, laser tag, photobooths, parking space at downtown place, t-shirt. And if you were thinking along the lines you are then a fancy restaurant could actually put you at times more than what a prom ticket could cost if it had dinner included.

I'm not saying dinner included is bad nor good but I think schools take much more into their prom cost than just dinner or no dinner and that will at times mean no dinner included prom costing more than a dinner included prom. I for one would have expected to pay less had my prom been at the school gym versus the country club it had been at regardless of dinner being included or not. But being that it was at the country club that did mean that factored into my prom ticket.

*I get your general discussion viewpoint now though with your additional comment.

You’re right Mackenzie, every school is different, which I think is the point of the OP. What I should’ve said is, if all other factors are the same, food (type and amount, or lack thereof) will generally affect ticket prices.

And I agree with you about venues. Our junior prom takes place in the school gym, while the more formal senior prom is held at an offsite catering hall, which is significantly more expensive, as you’d expect (though both include dinner).

BTW, back in my day, the ticket was called a prom bid, and it was for a couple. You couldn’t go single to the prom; you had to have a date. I’m glad this custom has changed in most places, to be more inclusive of all students.

You’re right Mackenzie, every school is different, which I think is the point of the OP. What I should’ve said is, if all other factors are the same, food (type and amount, or lack thereof) will generally affect ticket prices.

And I agree with you about venues. Our junior prom takes place in the school gym, while the more formal senior prom is held at an offsite catering hall, which is significantly more expensive, as you’d expect (though both include dinner).

BTW, back in my day, the ticket was called a prom bid, and it was for a couple. You couldn’t go single to the prom; you had to have a date. I’m glad this custom has changed in most places, to be more inclusive of all students.
Oh my yeah I'm glad times have changed there.

For our prom it was for juniors and seniors both together and if you were a sophmore or freshman you had to be asked by upperclassman but otherwise you could def. go by yourself.

We also had WPA that you could go to by yourself too, as well as Homecoming by yourself.

Just curious - I can't for the life of me think of a reason for this rule to be in place. Is it common? Can you enlighten me? :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter