How much is your child's prom ticket and what does it include?

Last year my son was a senior it was $100 a ticket. It was held at Heinz Field football stadium .
It included dinner, snacks, beverages and a DJ.
He was in a group of about 20, they rented a Hummer limo and took pictures on one of the outlooks overlooking the city before prom.
They had an afterprom party at someones house after and all slept over

I think he had a fabulous time. He isn't home yet! HAHA.

Before you think he found someone and got a hotel room, a large group of them (the theater kids as that is his "scene") had an after party at one of the houses, where they all hung out, played games, talked, etc....and then crashed. Parents were home. No alcohol and no hanky panky (trust me, my son is so straight laced I have other parents commenting to me about it!)

He had no date, just a large group of friends all went to dinner, then to Prom, and then to someone's house together, guys and girls.

We had an after party until about 1, I have several girls sleeping upstairs now, no complaints from neighbors!

[excerpt] BTW, back in my day, the ticket was called a prom bid, and it was for a couple. You couldn’t go single to the prom; you had to have a date. I’m glad this custom has changed in most places, to be more inclusive of all students.

Just curious - I can't for the life of me think of a reason for this rule to be in place. Is it common? Can you enlighten me? :confused:

I'm not sure of the reason for the rule either, but my high school was the same. (I don't think we called them 'bids', but individual tickets were not available.) And, my school (catholic school) had so many rules about who could be your date that basically if you didn't find a date within your class, it wasn't even worth going.)
-- Couples had to be boy-girl, so you couldn't split a ticket with a same-gender friend.
-- All attendees had to be juniors or seniors. Sophomores and graduates could not go, even if invited by a junior/senior (which really sucked for kids who were dating someone from a different class.)
-- If you brought a guest from another school, there were all sorts of hoops that had to be jumped through. They had to be 'registered' as your guest in advance. The guest had to get a form signed by his/her high school principal saying that they were a junior/senior in good standing, and had to sign a code of conduct document prior to being "approved." Nothing like saying "Hey, would you go with me to my prom? There's kind of a background check."

I just looked on the school website to see if I can tell whether the rules are the same or not, but I can't tell. All it says on the website is the date and time and that information will be distributed at the school.

Last edited:
We still have to follow the" guest rule" from another school , they have to have to go though the principal and get their parents to sign off that they could go . This goes for kids that are dating people in other grades . Catholic school as well but we can have singles go. My daughter is going single , but her whole group of friends are too so they will get a table together. They can reserve a table up to 8 people.

We still have to follow the" guest rule" from another school , they have to have to go though the principal and get their parents to sign off that they could go . This goes for kids that are dating people in other grades . Catholic school as well but we can have singles go. My daughter is going single , but her whole group of friends are too so they will get a table together. They can reserve a table up to 8 people.

When my daughter went to the prom last year her bf was from another school. My daughter forgot until the last minute that his school had to sign a form saying he was in good standing and one of his parents had to sign off also. She got it handed in just in time. But this is also how any dances are also. She had to get it for homecoming also.

not sure what the school is charging this year, but a couple of years ago (when I still had an attending kiddo) it was very reasonable at about $40 pp. it was held in conjunction with a couple of other high schools on a local air force base (there was extensive paperwork that had to be filled out ahead of time if a 'date' was a non student of one of the participating high schools as well as for non student drivers-aka 'parents'). the price included drinks, there was some food (not a full dinner-but more than just snacks) AND the venue had other activities to do-bowling and a karaoke 'lounge'. some of the best photos were of the girls in their formal dresses in bowling shoes:cutie::cutie: they were well attended, and often kids went in groups vs. as couples.

it would be interesting to see how the attendance is at this years-they've gone to a more traditional (just dancing) venue at about the same price.

I know last year Prom tickets were $125 per person. don't know if it included dinner. DD didn't go as she was a sophomore and her friend (senior) asked someone else. Prom last year was at Caesar's. this year DD's school prom was free (she has switched schools) and her boyfriends prom- no clue. her Prom was last night and his prom is next saturday.

Junior prom in 2016 was $35. It included food but my daughter came home starving so I don't think it was that great.

Senior prom was $90 and included dinner plus post prom with all kinds of junk food.

When my daughter went to the prom last rejectyear her bf was from another school. My daughter forgot until the last minute that his school had to sign a form saying he was in good standing and one of his parents had to sign off also. She got it handed in just in time. But this is also how any dances are also. She had to get it for homecoming also.

My daughter's boyfriend goes to a different school than she does. He has to be interviewed by the vice principal before she can get him a ticket - and I know some students in the past have not been given permission to bring an outside date. He goes to a much smaller private school - I don't know if she needs to get approved to attend his prom or not yet. I don't think either of them have anything to worry about.

The dances at our high school got way out of control about a decade ago and they stopped having them. They still did a winter semiformal for a while, but that met the same fate a few years later. They have tried an annual charity dance more recently with mixed results. The only high school dance most kids ever go to is their grade 12 Prom.

M.

Just curious - I can't for the life of me think of a reason for this rule to be in place. Is it common? Can you enlighten me? :confused:

I have no idea why, that’s just the way it was at my school at the time (public HS, 1980). Couples only.

I didn’t date much in HS and did not attend my prom. Neither did most in my circle of friends. The majority of kids who went, went with their steady boyfriend or girlfriend. I was asked by a guy I barely knew and would’ve been awkward going with, so I declined. Instead, my 3 BFFs and I went to a local bar that night and had our own celebration (we could legally drink at 18 back then).

If we had been allowed to go as a group, without dates, I’m sure we would have. But I never felt bad about it, and later on found out that DH didn’t go to his prom either, for the same reason.

Last edited:
My daughter's boyfriend goes to a different school than she does. He has to be interviewed by the vice principal before she can get him a ticket - and I know some students in the past have not been given permission to bring an outside date. He goes to a much smaller private school - I don't know if she needs to get approved to attend his prom or not yet. I don't think either of them have anything to worry about.

The dances at our high school got way out of control about a decade ago and they stopped having them. They still did a winter semiformal for a while, but that met the same fate a few years later. They have tried an annual charity dance more recently with mixed results. The only high school dance most kids ever go to is their grade 12 Prom.

M.
:idea: I did not realize the idea of American-style proms, separate from grad, were becoming a thing in different parts of Canada. I've asked around; it's not done here. Do they still also have an event for grad?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter