How old were your kids when you let them bring a friend?

Our DD brought her best friend along a few times....starting at 14 I think....in all honesty, this particular friend is more like a 2nd DD to us, so it worked out really well. I think you really need to know the person you are inviting and get a sense of whether or not you can spend that much time with them or if your kids can!

We are planning a spring break trip to DHHI and are considering inviting one close family friend to join us for our 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter. One friend each.

We would be driving 12 hours from Ohio and staying 6 nights at DHHI in a 2 bedroom.

Have you brought your child’s friend on vacation with your family before? If so, at what age? Before extending an invite any advice on what to consider first?

Yes, we started allowing friends when the kids were teenagers. It has always been fine. The kids get along well and enjoy showing their friends around and taking them to the TOTWL.

I have two DS and we brought along their twin friends to DL(which is easier to manage than DW) at the age of 11. The twins were experienced DL visitors and had annual passes. We took care of all other expenses. It was a great time for all the boys as they all get along really well. If you feel comfortable having your kids friends over to your house and spending time with them (not just your kids spending time with them, but that you enjoy their company too) it should be a good time for all. Also, DHHI is a great place to relax with friends!!

We have 3 kids. We didn't allow any of them to bring a friend along, until my older two stopped going on Disney trips with us and our youngest son would be by himself. We did one trip when he was 14 or 15 with just him, DH & myself. He really didn't have a very good time and wanted to stay in the room on electronics. So the next year, he was 16 and asked to take two friends. We drive about 10 hours and had room for them so we brought them along. It was great and they had a wonderful time and were great guests. We asked the parents to purchase tickets and we took care of food, room, etc... In order to have access to FastPass + we asked to get their tickets early and both families just asked us to get them and they paid us. Worked out just fine. The next year, he brought along one friend and they had three or four friends that were there with their families and they all planned to go to the MNSSHP on the same night. So they all met up and had a great time. They also would text and meet up for lunch in the parks with their friends. It worked out great for us.

13 for our oldest daughter....but 10 for our youngest. it all depends on the maturity level of the person you are bringing. I know some 16 years old who still cant stand to be away from mommy for more then 1-2 nights.

We asked the parents to purchase tickets and we took care of food, room, etc... In order to have access to FastPass + we asked to get their tickets early and both families just asked us to get them and they paid us. .

That is exactly how we do it.

I overcome the electronics thing by stating months in advance......after we arrive......all phones / gadgets will be put in the safe until I say they can come out. Dint drive 16 hours and spend $4000 for you to stick your nose in a screen all week. you could have stayed home and done that.

We really started letting our 11 year old twins venture off an hour at a time. :love2:. That seems to be a great age to start traveling.

Last edited:

My daughter was 22 when she brought her first friend. While she always wanted to bring friends earlier, things just never worked out. So far, the two times she has brought friends I've ended up paying for everything (tickets, plane, food). Personally I find it a huge pain to try and plan to bring someone else, especially getting them to commit so far in advance.

Great question. Just going to veer off a bit. We were down last month for a long weekend and noticed that our DS15 seemed to be a touch distant while visiting. Thought maybe, as I have read, that he was going through the Disney pause. Getting older and not excited about the pixy dust anymore. Long story short. Not cool hanging with the parents all the time, being board doing what parents want to do. We talked about bringing a friend next time so he can share his excitement and experience's with. He was all about it and now helping (for the first time) plan the next trip. I wouldn't have a problem with any of his friends travel with us along with letting them explore on there own.

Just a note, be sure to get a copy of the child's parent's medical cards and a permission letter from the parents to have medical treatment if needed. We had an injury one trip with a guest and had a terrible time getting help without the above docs.

I know noone wants to think about it, but accidents do happen.

My DD is an only child. I think we started to bring a friend when she was about 10 or 11. I had the parents send me the friend's insurance information and a permission letter as BillPA mentioned. We always pay for hotel (DVC) and food. We will also pay for either airfare or park passes but not both. A trip to WDW is not like going to the local fair and I expect the other parents to kick in a little toward their child's vacation. I laid it all out in advance with the parents before my DD even talked to the other child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter