How soon should I link passes?

1GR8DISNEYFAN

Mouseketeer
Just received our passes from Undercover Tourist in the mail today. Our trip is not until November, but I am anxious to link them on MDE account. Is there any advantage to waiting or does it not matter? Also, will we need to take the actual passes to the park with us on the first visit or will we just use our magic bands. (I am sure I will take them anyway). Our past reservations have always been package deals with Disney which included our passes, so this is a first for us.

If you know for sure you're going to use the tix, I'd just link them now. And once your passes are linked, the magic bands are all you'll need!

You cannot return your tickets to Undercover Tourist after you have linked them in MDE. Also you can't return them if you have opened the plastic sleeve. I kept my tickets in a safe place in the plastic sleeve until the day before my Fastpass+ window opened just in case something bad happened that would cause us to cancel the trip.

The only reason to link tickets early is if you need them for ADRs, to make FPs or if you are worried you'll lose them.

The only reason to link tickets early is if you need them for ADRs, to make FPs or if you are worried you'll lose them.

Tickets do not need to be linked in order to make ADRs.

OP, if you’re sure you’re going, you can go ahead and link them. I have some I’m holding onto for the time being because I’m not 100% sure we’re going. I’ll link them closer to FP day if our plans solidify at that point.

With UT tickets I wait until a month before my FP window opens to link them. It's nice to have the option to return them if something unexpected happens. I do it a month before my FP window so that I can play around with practice FPs. Also if there is some problem with them there would be time to get it worked out before needing to make FPs.

I linked mine 2 days before FP day, kept them locked up & protected until then, you never know when a life changing event will happen between now & then & a trip needs to be canceled, linking is a point of no return, so no real hurry to get there

I also link mine 2 days before FP window just in case something happens either with going on the trip or linking them. Prior to they are in the safe. I also take pictures of each card, then once I've linked them I text the photo to the appropriate person/parent in case their card or magic band is lost.

I have (2) 5-day park-hoppers and (2) 7-day park-hoppers that I bought back in January 2017 from UCT, before Disney instituted the "expiration dates". I am planning to use the 5-day park hoppers for my daughters this October, but I haven't linked them yet, just in case a nice AP deal comes out. The ONLY deal that would work is if Disney comes out with that 13-month AP again (not likely) because we have another trip planned for October 2019. If by some miracle a 13-month AP deal came out again, I would buy those for the girls and hang on to the tickets from UCT and use them at a later time.

As long as the tickets are not linked, they can be returned or sold to someone else if something comes up and you are unable to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter