How to survive the heat....

a light bag. i see people with very heavy backpacks and it doesn't look pleasant.
I actually have a water bottle insulated (somewhat!) foam holder with a clip that I clip on a belt loop since the water is frozen. It seems easier to carry that way than in a purse/backpack. I also use those convertible Kipling bags that can either be cross body or a fanny pack! There's no such thing as fashionable in Disney! It's all about comfortable!

One thing that is a game-changer for me is wearing one of those 'Australian' hats AND soaking it in water a few times throughout the day. It is like having a cool towel, only for your head.

Ugh....these tips all have me SUPER worried about surviving 2 days in the parks the first week of July! We're in town for a conference, so we're taking the opportunity to hit DHS on July 4th and MK on July 6th. We're staying off property closer to the conference center, so leaving mid-day isn't really an option. We've both got portable fans and cooling towels...plan on drinking my body weight in water throughout the day. I'll be on a ECV due to extended mobility problems. (which is another whole worry in itself!)

Go in the stores as much as possible it might be mid 80s but when it’s humid…boy that temperature feels like an oven.

We are coming the end of August....not the best time weather-wise, but it's just when the timing worked out.

We will be bringing/wearing:
  • cooling towels
  • water bottles or flat portable things (used the flat ones last time at Disneyland...you can fill them with water and very light/compact when not using)
  • UV umbrella to keep us in the shade (Suggest 2 of them for a family of 4?)
  • waterproof sandals
  • light (maybe throwaway) ponchos
  • anything specific to freshen up? (don't want to be smelly...lol)
  • anything else?

Also I'm trying to strategize rides...which may change the Genie+ strategy and am thinking in terms of rides that have the queues outside vs inside. We really don't plan on returning to the resort in the afternoon as we don't come to Disney much so want to experience the parks but can stick to rides inside

What rides have the queue completely outside? I'm thinking the following do:
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • anything else?
What rides have the queue partially outside?
  • Big Thunder Mine Train
  • Splash Mountain
  • Frozen at Epcot
  • Toy Story
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • anything else?
What rides are completely inside with AC?

Any advice or help on the above is much appreciated.

To me, Big thunder mountain is completely outside along with Alien swirling saucers, there is absolutely no AC, you have coverage at a certain point but Slinky Dog has coverage also. So I would put those all in the same category. Mickey and Minnies runaway railway starts outside but ends in the AC. Soarin at EPCOT is completely indoors along with Journey into the Imagination and the land. Spaceship earth is partially outdoors. Pirates of the Carribbean, and Haunted mansion start outside and then head inside. Dumbo has a nice airconditioned section of the queue, and Jungle cruise and the tea cups are completely outside. Buzz Lightyear space ranger spin starts outside and heads into AC and Mickeys Philhar magic is completely inside.

Sorry I just did a brain dump. Thats all I can think of at the moment! We are going end of August too, just me and my fiance!

We are coming the end of August....not the best time weather-wise, but it's just when the timing worked out.

We will be bringing/wearing:
  • cooling towels
  • water bottles or flat portable things (used the flat ones last time at Disneyland...you can fill them with water and very light/compact when not using)
  • UV umbrella to keep us in the shade (Suggest 2 of them for a family of 4?)
  • waterproof sandals
  • light (maybe throwaway) ponchos
  • anything specific to freshen up? (don't want to be smelly...lol)
  • anything else?

Also I'm trying to strategize rides...which may change the Genie+ strategy and am thinking in terms of rides that have the queues outside vs inside. We really don't plan on returning to the resort in the afternoon as we don't come to Disney much so want to experience the parks but can stick to rides inside

What rides have the queue completely outside? I'm thinking the following do:
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • anything else?
What rides have the queue partially outside?
  • Big Thunder Mine Train
  • Splash Mountain
  • Frozen at Epcot
  • Toy Story
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • anything else?
What rides are completely inside with AC?

Any advice or help on the above is much appreciated.
Merged your thread with an existing thread with a lot of helpful information.

To me, Big thunder mountain is completely outside along with Alien swirling saucers, there is absolutely no AC, you have coverage at a certain point but Slinky Dog has coverage also. So I would put those all in the same category. Mickey and Minnies runaway railway starts outside but ends in the AC. Soarin at EPCOT is completely indoors along with Journey into the Imagination and the land. Spaceship earth is partially outdoors. Pirates of the Carribbean, and Haunted mansion start outside and then head inside. Dumbo has a nice airconditioned section of the queue, and Jungle cruise and the tea cups are completely outside. Buzz Lightyear space ranger spin starts outside and heads into AC and Mickeys Philhar magic is completely inside.

Sorry I just did a brain dump. Thats all I can think of at the moment! We are going end of August too, just me and my fiance!
Your last statement is "Sorry, I just did a brain dump". Please don't be sorry...your response is incredibly helpful! Thank you. I am definitely noting each ride as that's exactly what I needed to know.
Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned...and will be tackling the heat as well! :-)

I would not say that. All of the DVC rooms that I have been in this week were set to 68 degrees when I walked in. Quite chilly right now. I have been changing the setting to 70 which works for me. Keep in mind that some of them have a motion sensor and will shut off when you leave the room for an extended period of time. This can mean that the room is quite warm when you return from the park. Closing the drapes when you leave can help with that. Most of the restaurants I have been in this week were also comfortable.
You can leave a balloon in the room, sometimes it will move enough to keep the sensor on.

The UV umbrella I have is pretty small. If you are only bringing 2 for a party of 4, I’d suggest opening them and trying with 2 people under it to see if you’re comfortable. When it’s hot outside, you may not want to be that close to another person as that will make you even hotter. So try it and see how it feels and give yourself time to get a couple more if needed.

The UV umbrella I have is pretty small. If you are only bringing 2 for a party of 4, I’d suggest opening them and trying with 2 people under it to see if you’re comfortable. When it’s hot outside, you may not want to be that close to another person as that will make you even hotter. So try it and see how it feels and give yourself time to get a couple more if needed.
Thank you. Good point. The ones I'm looking at on Amazon are quite compact (RUMBRELLA Mini Umbrella)....so maybe I should just get 4. As a note we are all different heights so maybe another reason (I'm short-ish, DH and DS are quite tall, and DD in the middle)

Is it overkill to have the umbrellas, cooling towels and spray mist fans? We are going end of August which is supposed to be torture with the heat. I'm thinking the umbrellas will help when walking from point A to point B, and also if standing in line where we are in the sun (as shade makes a big difference).

Thank you. Good point. The ones I'm looking at on Amazon are quite compact (RUMBRELLA Mini Umbrella)....so maybe I should just get 4. As a note we are all different heights so maybe another reason (I'm short-ish, DH and DS are quite tall, and DD in the middle)

Is it overkill to have the umbrellas, cooling towels and spray mist fans? We are going end of August which is supposed to be torture with the heat. I'm thinking the umbrellas will help when walking from point A to point B, and also if standing in line where we are in the sun (as shade makes a big difference).
The UV umbrellas are mostly for when you need a sit down and there is no where to go.so if your stuck on a side wall or in a very long line in the direct sun. Walking from point a-b can be done while store hopping. Just my 2c.

I would definitely use the umbrellas when in a line outside standing in the baking sun… as well as when walking from point A to point B.

I’d bring the cooling towels and fans as well, and if you find you don’t use them then you can leave them behind the next time. I honestly could see using all of those things! But better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I would definitely use the umbrellas when in a line outside standing in the baking sun… as well as when walking from point A to point B.

I’d bring the cooling towels and fans as well, and if you find you don’t use them then you can leave them behind the next time. I honestly could see using all of those things! But better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Thanks for the feedback. I also added electrolyte packs to my list.
Just gotta find the right park bag(s)...will probably get myself a new light weight fanny pack (not pretty but practical) and see if DH can carry a light backpack or something for the items mentioned + sunscreen, etc. Just have to be careful and don't want to add too much as that won't help either with the heat.

Gonna go back as well and read this entire thread.

Just wanted to thank all the posters who made suggestions. I put in a big Amazon order for various suggested items and feel much more prepared for the heat.

Without this post I never would have even heard of UV blocking sun umbrellas. I'm counting on mine now both for shading me from the sun, but also for potentially giving me a little more distance when I'm still a bit concerned about covid.

From a scientific perspective, there's only so much you can reasonably do to reduce solar heating so it basically becomes all about evaporative cooling. Wear clothing made with wicking fabrics that are designed to absorb and distribute sweat so that they dry quickly (same material many sports jerseys are made from). Buy a cooling towel that you can soak in water once in the morning, and again at the park mid-day to drape on yourself that will help keep your neck, face, (and if really needed, even though it's gross, yes, even your armpits) cool by drawing heat from your body onto the wet towel. And then also a rechargeable neck fan to wear while you're not using the cooling towel. These three things combined should make a huge difference if you haven't used any of them before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter