How to survive the heat....

horse11

DIS Veteran
So the weather seems to have been very mild in Florida but is going to quickly change literally the day after we arrive 😕. Temps could reach upper 90's to 101... We have always gone to Disney a few weeks earlier in May and have not had to deal with that level of heat and humidity... In fact these temperatures seem unseasonably high... Any suggestions on how to handle the heat and still make this trip enjoyable?

All my trips have been in August - drink at least a full bottle of water prior to going to the park. Get well hydrated before leaving. Bring multiple bottles of water with you to parks, if possible freeze them the night before - they will melt quickly. Drinking water while at breaks or in line will help. If you have kids, push them to keep drinking. Try to do rope drop and stay til 1 or 2 pm, maybe returning in the evening. Get in as much as you can in the mornings, we always return to hotel during the afternoons to cool off and swim. Always duck into shops to cool off in the A/C when you can. Attractions like Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, or other A/C indoor attractions are good as it heats up in the late morning / afternoon.

We like to arrive at the park for rope drop, do as much as we can until about lunch time, head back to the resort for the hottest part of the day, and then back to a park in the evening when it has cooled off. If you don't want to take a resort break, another option is to plan a sit down meal around 1-2pm, which will get you out of the heat for a bit. I would also plan some of the cooler, indoor attractions during the peak afternoon as well. And of course drink lots of water and wear cool comfortable clothing.

In order of most helpful: drink more water than you think you need to, UV blocking umbrella (yes, it looks ridiculous but better than running from patch of shade to patch of shade. It also feels 10 degrees cooler underneath one), light clothing choices, cooling towel for your neck, neck fan. Don't wear full hats-they trap your body heat in. Visors are fine.

Some of it will depend on how you handle heat in general. I live somewhere that has hot and humid summers and I also lived in FL for a few years. It is never pleasant at 100% humidity but if you don't mind being a little sweaty it isn't that terrible. If you normally take breaks take one between noon and 3pm. You don't have to head back to your room or resort if you don't want. As an example if you are in MK you can head to WL for lunch and some down time in the lobby.

What you wear will also be bery important. Don't wear cotton. I have some tech shirts that look like normal shirts I wear in the parks. Some of the shirts I have are:

Tracksmith Harrier
Tracksmith Horizon
Arc'teryx Cormac
Rhone Swift

and the only shorts I will wear into the parks in the summer any longer are Birddogs

A lightweight wicking runners hat is also very useful and you can drench it throughout the day to keep you cool.

Last edited:

1a. Water.
1b. Water.
2. Loose/breathable clothing.
3. Gatorade gummies.
4. A cooling towel can be handy.
5. Take a break.
6. Make an indoor ADR where there is air conditioning.
7. Try to schedule a lengthy, indoor attraction in the mid-day, for instance, CoP or SE. That's a good 15 - 25 minutes of cool A/C.

We use Liquid IV (can buy online or at Target or Sams Club/Costco) in our water bottles to stay extra hydrated!
We carry a personal rechargeable fan (from Amazon) as well as a charging cord to recharge midday if needed using our portable charger.
We also get to the park at Rope Drop and do as much as possible until lunch time. After lunch we do long indoor activities (shows / films / etc.) We start back up again around 4 or 5 around dinner time. The mid day heat is truly the worst.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and start before you go!

We went to DHS recently on a 98 degree day. I won’t lie, it was brutal and we had to wear masks most of the time. The mask policy changes should make it more bearable.

If you search for old Star Wars Weekend threads, you can find posts about how to deal with the heat.

Here's what we do:

Book lunch at an indoor restaurant for a break from the heat.
Drink Smartwater. Maybe it's psychosomatic, but I swear it makes a difference.
Pop in stores for a break from the heat.
Enjoy indoor attractions such as Mickey's Philharmagic.
Leave midday and return after dinner.
The parks are more tolerable when the sun goes down...stay as late as you can.
Wear moisture wicking clothing.
A hat makes me more hot, so I don't wear one.

Everyone here has some tips that we use. Couple additional things we do.

1. Don't forget about nutrition as well. Bananas / Cuties (we order these as a part of every kids meal we can and keep them for little snacks along the way) are great. We have also found these little waffle snacks called UnTapped Organic Maple Waffles (available on Amazon) to be awesome. My wife uses them when doing long runs for nutrition so figured they would work for long park days as well.

2. One thing we also do and it may seems kind of silly but we set an alarm on our phone each hour we are in the Park so we have a reminder to take actually stop for a few minutes take a break / drink some water / eat a snack. It's so easy to get lost in all of the surroundings and fun of the parks sometimes you can forget.

Everyone here has some tips that we use. Couple additional things we do.

2. One thing we also do and it may seems kind of silly but we set an alarm on our phone each hour we are in the Park so we have a reminder to take actually stop for a few minutes take a break / drink some water / eat a snack. It's so easy to get lost in all of the surroundings and fun of the parks sometimes you can forget.
Very good advice , especially for the pool. I remember the lifeguards would blow their whistle hourly and everybody knew it was time to sit out of water check for safety , etc plus a good time and reason to get those potty breaks . Or snack.Frozen Grapes perfect snack .
I hope Disney brings back the fresh fruit stands in parks. I always bought a banana or watermelon as I exited.
once upon a time land when Disney gave a ****?
In a World far far away. ?

I hate tea but have learned to order Joffreys or SBX lemon tea iced with extra small glass of ice. It really is refreshing.
I used to order the child’s Piñata in Epcot double fisted and big tip for bartender... Doesn’t Disney know they can charge more for children’s drinks just sticking a paper umbrella in it? And future guests hooked on a swizzle stick guarantee?
$$$$

So the weather seems to have been very mild in Florida but is going to quickly change literally the day after we arrive 😕. Temps could reach upper 90's to 101... We have always gone to Disney a few weeks earlier in May and have not had to deal with that level of heat and humidity... In fact these temperatures seem unseasonably high... Any suggestions on how to handle the heat and still make this trip enjoyable?
For some reason nothing feels air conditioned anymore?
Another cutback?

I would not say that. All of the DVC rooms that I have been in this week were set to 68 degrees when I walked in. Quite chilly right now. I have been changing the setting to 70 which works for me. Keep in mind that some of them have a motion sensor and will shut off when you leave the room for an extended period of time. This can mean that the room is quite warm when you return from the park. Closing the drapes when you leave can help with that. Most of the restaurants I have been in this week were also comfortable.

Good to know since I was wondering about that frozen feeling in the hallways at BLT....
I guess I have only been invited to use my AP at Disney Springs lately and not staying at resorts.
I don’t think the restrooms inside the parks are very air conditioned tho.
So let’s talk about the restrooms now...
I know the guys are not familiar with the trashcans that reek as you enter a restroom filled with sanitary products and baby diapers.
I don’t think they make a candle for that memory smell.
If they did I would gladly buy one to send to a certain couple of guys named BOB
Celing fans in restrooms should be mandatory.
I really liked the guest rooms with ceiling fans too

Back on topic....

Last edited:
In order of most helpful: drink more water than you think you need to, UV blocking umbrella (yes, it looks ridiculous but better than running from patch of shade to patch of shade. It also feels 10 degrees cooler underneath one), light clothing choices, cooling towel for your neck, neck fan. Don't wear full hats-they trap your body heat in. Visors are fine.

The umbrella on a hot day was something I had never really done before I took a trip to Japan in the summer. I can confirm it feels so much better. I'm debating whether I'll need one for my June trip.

(1) Cooling towels. Dick's Sporting Goods has 6 packs of Frogg Toggs for about $12.
(2) Rechargeable fan. I bought them on Amazon before my August 2019 trip - I had one for each person. They charge with a USB charger, so you don't need to worry about batteries.
(3) Mid-day break. Hit the parks in the morning. Go back to the resort after lunch and swim or nap. Change your clothes and go back to the park at dinner time.
(4) Choose indoor attractions when it's hottest or raining. Save things like Carousel of Progress and the American Adventure for mid-day.
(5) Frozen lemonade, dole whips and other cold snacks are very refreshing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter