HS Toy Story Mania: [Merged Threads]

Wow! So much great information & pictures!! :thumbsup2 :cool1: Thanks to everyone for posting all of this!! It's great that we can know ahead of time (without a shadow of doubt) that DH will be able to board this ride in his power chair & work the gun! Can't wait for our next trip to check it out!!

Just got back on July 1st!

The first time when went to see the line it was later in the day (3:30ish) and it said the wait time was 420 minutes!!!! Don't know how that is possible. SO we were staying at the Dolphin and it was a MAGIC HOURS night for resort guests. They opened the FASTPASS at 10:00 pm and at 9:30 people were lined up to get them. They went before we could get one and the regular line was 120 minutes. We didn't want to spend all of our magic hours waiting in line!
The next day we went early and we got fast passes early in the day. The fastpasses go VERY quickly. I'd say if you are not there by 12:00 (at the VERY latest) you may be too late to get one. We got to the handicapped ramp with one family ahead of us and the ride broke down. They gave us "anytime use" FPasses. We rode the ride later that evening and had a blast but the wait time in the wheelchair line was still 35 minutes. On our last day we wanted to go one more time so we got our FP at 9:00 and the return time was 12:25. OK so we got to the FP entrance RIGHT AT 12:25 and walked in and right into the wheelchair load ramp. We thought we were set to get on quickly and make our 1:20 reservations at Mama Melrose's. This is where things went downhill again. The wheelchair line had 4 families (two of them large familes) ahead of us. Because there are only two special cars (there are 2 cars on the ride where you have the choice to transfer or where the chair can go right on; these cars hold fewer people because if the one seat is not being used for a WC it stays empty) and these cars only come over to the handicapped loading zone every five or more minutes, the loading process was excruciatingly long. For example one family of four took the special car that is able to hold 6-8 and then it takes a good 10 minutes for that car to come back. It took us one hour (we got off the ride at 1:25) even with fastpass. That was discouraging even though my three boys said it was SO worth it because it is truly an awesome ride! But I felt badly that with FP we still had to wait an hour because our son needs a wheelchair and were late for our lunch reservations.

We kindly told the CM's there our frustrations and they said they were doing their best and we acknowledged that they were doing their best with what they had to work with. What we didn't understand was that every person in the wheelchair line ahead of us was able to transfer into the car, including us. With the wheelchair line backed up, they could've taken regular cars in the wheelchair track and gotten us through quicker.

Just got back on July 1st!

The first time when went to see the line it was later in the day (3:30ish) and it said the wait time was 420 minutes!!!! Don't know how that is possible. SO we were staying at the Dolphin and it was a MAGIC HOURS night for resort guests. They opened the FASTPASS at 10:00 pm and at 9:30 people were lined up to get them. They went before we could get one and the regular line was 120 minutes. We didn't want to spend all of our magic hours waiting in line!
The next day we went early and we got fast passes early in the day. The fastpasses go VERY quickly. I'd say if you are not there by 12:00 (at the VERY latest) you may be too late to get one. We got to the handicapped ramp with one family ahead of us and the ride broke down. They gave us "anytime use" FPasses. We rode the ride later that evening and had a blast but the wait time in the wheelchair line was still 35 minutes. On our last day we wanted to go one more time so we got our FP at 9:00 and the return time was 12:25. OK so we got to the FP entrance RIGHT AT 12:25 and walked in and right into the wheelchair load ramp. We thought we were set to get on quickly and make our 1:20 reservations at Mama Melrose's. This is where things went downhill again. The wheelchair line had 4 families (two of them large familes) ahead of us. Because there are only two special cars (there are 2 cars on the ride where you have the choice to transfer or where the chair can go right on; these cars hold fewer people because if the one seat is not being used for a WC it stays empty) and these cars only come over to the handicapped loading zone every five or more minutes, the loading process was excruciatingly long. For example one family of four took the special car that is able to hold 6-8 and then it takes a good 10 minutes for that car to come back. It took us one hour (we got off the ride at 1:25) even with fastpass. That was discouraging even though my three boys said it was SO worth it because it is truly an awesome ride! But I felt badly that with FP we still had to wait an hour because our son needs a wheelchair and were late for our lunch reservations.

We kindly told the CM's there our frustrations and they said they were doing their best and we acknowledged that they were doing their best with what they had to work with. What we didn't understand was that every person in the wheelchair line ahead of us was able to transfer into the car, including us. With the wheelchair line backed up, they could've taken regular cars in the wheelchair track and gotten us through quicker.

We tried to ride it during the preview in May, the manager I spoke with said they could not bring the "regular" cars to the wheelchair line. (I don't know if that is true-or if it has changed since he said it). We were waiting to ride with one couple ahead of us and it brokedown again after being down for most of the day. We did not get to ride it.

We tried to ride it during the preview in May, the manager I spoke with said they could not bring the "regular" cars to the wheelchair line. (I don't know if that is true-or if it has changed since he said it). We were waiting to ride with one couple ahead of us and it brokedown again after being down for most of the day. We did not get to ride it.
I think that was true during the preview.
Cheshire Figment had spoken with a supevisor there and it sounded like it was a situation of the CMs needing to get familiar with the attraction and with loading the wheelchair car.
If they use just one wheelchair car, they have one whole ride cycle to load before that ride car comes around again for unloading. If the use 2 wheelchair cars, spaced half the ride apart, they have half the ride cycle to load. From what I understand, it sounds like if they add 'regular' cars, it shortens the time they have to load.

I know, for example, the first few times we rode in the Imagination wheelchair car or in the Buzz Lightyear car, it took a long time for the CMs to load DD's wheelchair. The last few times we rode Buzz, the CM didn't even slow the moving walkway - she was that fast.

It's really discouraging when they make people board at the handicapped boarding area that would not have to board there if they hadn't put steps into the 'regular' line. We have no choice but to wait for the accessible car, but I know how frustrating it is to see the 'regular' line boarding people who were behind you. It must be even more frustrating to see that and know you would be able to board that car, if you could get there.

It's really discouraging when they make people board at the handicapped boarding area that would not have to board there if they hadn't put steps into the 'regular' line. We have no choice but to wait for the accessible car, but I know how frustrating it is to see the 'regular' line boarding people who were behind you. It must be even more frustrating to see that and know you would be able to board that car, if you could get there.

Yes, Sue! I added this on the other thread "On Toy Story, from the ramp, you can see the people in the regular line through a glass wall going up and down the steps to the regular loading point. We watched people who were in the FP line right behind us get on in five minutes. Once you're on the stairs it's pretty quick. On the WC ramp it really depends on how many people are ahead of you...""

Resons for separating...even those who can transfer need a little more time and often need the chair there when they get off. I think they put the steps in to make a clear distinction for this and I think that they tried to keep it very seperate for this attraction for very good reasons. I do know that WDW takes a lot of time to evaluate how these things are working and tracking line speed and such. Had they given us a line speed tracking card that day it would've proved unsatisfactory that we waited an hour with FP. I think that as they are learning this ride they will have to start to be flexible and able to evaluate their WC line and see just how many people are able to transfer and who needs the special car and make adjustments...like to bring in a regular car if the line has 30 people waiting where 5 are in chairs and can all transfer. One family had a very pregnant mom for example. It was so hot for that poor soul but at least the line was cool!

It was obvious that they could bring in the regular cars to that area. I do understand though, that because of the cycle of cars they want to make sure that a WC accessible car is always not too long to wait for for those who cannot transfer. That is important. They'll get it down, I'm sure. These are pretty typical obstacles with a new attraction such as this. I expressed our frustrations here so people would be aware to allow time. We were kind of crunched for time with a reservation waiting and a limited time to use the FP. With a wheelchair you always need to be prepared for and account for problems/issues!

I think that was true during the preview.
Cheshire Figment had spoken with a supevisor there and it sounded like it was a situation of the CMs needing to get familiar with the attraction and with loading the wheelchair car.
If they use just one wheelchair car, they have one whole ride cycle to load before that ride car comes around again for unloading. If the use 2 wheelchair cars, spaced half the ride apart, they have half the ride cycle to load. From what I understand, it sounds like if they add 'regular' cars, it shortens the time they have to load.

I know, for example, the first few times we rode in the Imagination wheelchair car or in the Buzz Lightyear car, it took a long time for the CMs to load DD's wheelchair. The last few times we rode Buzz, the CM didn't even slow the moving walkway - she was that fast.

Oddly enough this is one of the reasons I spoke with the manager when I did. And one of the reasons I have not gone back to try and ride. I did not want to "take away" a car from someone who needed a WC car. But I am not able to do the stairs. The couple in front of us at the ride when it broke down were so ugly and mad that we would be "allowed" to use the handicapped access without a wheelchair. (Before anyone flames me, yes I have a GAC with appropriate stamps, NONE of the CM's had an issue, they were wonderful and very helpful). But because my issues are not visible I am made to feel I have no right to ride.

Oddly enough this is one of the reasons I spoke with the manager when I did. And one of the reasons I have not gone back to try and ride. I did not want to "take away" a car from someone who needed a WC car. But I am not able to do the stairs. The couple in front of us at the ride when it broke down were so ugly and mad that we would be "allowed" to use the handicapped access without a wheelchair. (Before anyone flames me, yes I have a GAC with appropriate stamps, NONE of the CM's had an issue, they were wonderful and very helpful). But because my issues are not visible I am made to feel I have no right to ride.

If you can't do stairs, you have every right to be in the accessible line. Some people are ignorant of the situation. The couple in front of you need to get a personality transplant. Please don't stop going on rides and enjoying things because of those people. Also, please don't stop going on rides thinking you are "taking away" a car for a person in a WC. You are there to enjoy Disney just like my b/f. Go, ride, and have as much fun as you can while you are there.

It's amazing...people's ignorance. You would think people needing assitance would be understanding that not all handicaps require a wheelchair.

Fortunately we saw the opposite experience from what you had. When they were not able to fill the car once during our long wait, they pulled a party of two people, with a GAC from the back of the ramp line. We and trhe other families waiting were glad that they were able to go ahead and fill the car even though those people got to go first.

We went on the ride twice in june. First time we went thru the single rider line. I went to the no stairs way, DH, went the regular line, he was out so much faster than me. I didn't know how single rider line works, if you happen to be going w/ you. They did ask if I was w. someone. I said no, I'm a single rider, didn't want to take advantage.

Later, that day, the single rider line wasn't open, so be aware of that.
Its not always available

Later, we used the fast passes. I think both times we had like a 10-20 minute wait.

I really think they need to allow more cars in the wheel chair loading section, so when large parties, or those not needing to be in the wheel chair car can load more quickly. Not every party takes 5 mins to load. now some do need that time, others not.

Its like the AK safari ride. When the waiting area is packed, you have to wait and wait and wait, even if its walk on in the regular section.

I really think they need to allow more cars in the wheel chair loading section, so when large parties, or those not needing to be in the wheel chair car can load more quickly. Not every party takes 5 mins to load. now some do need that time, others not.
I don't think the extra time was for the people without wheelchairs boarding, I think it had to do with the time it took them to get an accessible ride car ready for a person who needed to get on with their wheelchair, get them loaded and send that car out. The ride is a loop with and extra little piece at the handicapped boarding area.
If a there is only one wheelchair accessible car, they have lots of time before the next car gets there. If there are 2, they have less time.
I know when the CMs were first learning how to use the wheelchair car at Imagination, it frequently took several CMs and several extra minutes to get DD's wheelchair on. As they got more experienced, it took less and the last time we got on, it took them no longer to load DD than it would to load any ambulatory guest.

The situation becomes even worse if your circumstance requires you to do a "rider switch". We were told one in our party ( my son who can't do stairs right now due to his cardiac issues) could ride first then we'd have to go BACK into the FP w/c queue line again for me to ride with my W/C and have my son watch my SD since SD's can't ride. After waiting over an hour for my son to ride ( he doesn't need a w/c car, just no stairs) we weren't about to go back again and wait another hour or longer. Two hours for two people to ride one attraction was unacceptable to me. I decided after watching the ride vehicles whip around that I might not be comfortable or safe anyway so this is one new ride I'll never get to experience.---Kathy

If you can't do stairs, you have every right to be in the accessible line. Some people are ignorant of the situation. The couple in front of you need to get a personality transplant. Please don't stop going on rides and enjoying things because of those people. Also, please don't stop going on rides thinking you are "taking away" a car for a person in a WC. You are there to enjoy Disney just like my b/f. Go, ride, and have as much fun as you can while you are there.
::yes::
If they have made the attraction with stairs and you can't do stairs, you don't have a lot of options.
Accessible doesn't mean just for wheelchairs.
And, if there is no one waiting for the wheelchair accessible car when you get there, you are not taking it away from anyone. It sounds like at this attraction, if no one rides in it, the car could be sent out empty because the ride has to keep cycling. So, if you didn't ride it, it's possible no one would.

The situation becomes even worse if your circumstance requires you to do a "rider switch". We were told one in our party ( my son who can't do stairs right now due to his cardiac issues) could ride first then we'd have to go BACK into the FP w/c queue line again for me to ride with my W/C and have my son watch my SD since SD's can't ride. After waiting over an hour for my son to ride ( he doesn't need a w/c car, just no stairs) we weren't about to go back again and wait another hour or longer. Two hours for two people to ride one attraction was unacceptable to me. I decided after watching the ride vehicles whip around that I might not be comfortable or safe anyway so this is one new ride I'll never get to experience.---Kathy

:scared1: That really isn't on! I thought that rider swaps meant that you queued together then took it in turns to ride; I didn't know you had to go to the back of the line again!! I'm so sorry you didn't get to ride, Kathy, and I hope they sort out all of these kinks soon, so we can all ride without an extra hour's wait!

:scared1:
:grouphug:
That is certainly not fair. I'm afraid that in order to make sure people with disabilities don't get on faster, they are going way overboard in the other direction. The same thing happens in Spaceship Earth; when we went last time, the wait in the 'regular' line was pretty much as fast as you could walk in. Our wait = more than 25 minutes.
It happened in Small World too. We were there in the evening when they were even sending boats thru not totally full because enough people were not coming fast enough to fill them. Our wait = 30 minutes. Quite a few of the people in line with us had GACs, but not wheelchairs or ECVs. I would suggest for Small World that everyone without a wheelchair or ECV look down at the boarding area (which you can see pretty well from the queue above) before going down there. If you see a long line, you will have a long wait. Unless you need to walk in the ramped boat rather than step down, the boarding is the same.

I was trawling round online today, and thought some of you might find this video interesting:

http://wdwnews.com/viewvideo.aspx?videoid=109862&siteid=1

It's from the Disney press pages, and shows a sort of 'advert' for the ride, without a voice over (intended for news programs to use when reporting on the new ride). It has some fairly helpful shots of the cars moving and stationary, as well as showing the guns in action.

Hope this is of some help to someone! :thumbsup2

I too always thought "rider switch" meant you stayed in the same area but for this attraction we were told we'd have to return with our "rider switch pass" meaning we could go back through FP vs. the regular line. Of course for us it meant we'd be once again behind all the others in the accessible line with w/c's or GAC's. I really feel for people who need to do a switch and have to endure that line twice. It would've been different I guess if the accessible line weren't needed and we could go back through FP as quickly as those who could do stairs. I hope they work out the kinks- I was so excited when I read about and then saw the way the accessible cars were pulled out to allow boarding time vs the entire attraction having to stop. I thought it would make things easier and quicker for guests and CM's. In our experience that was not the case.---Kathy

Just an FYI on this ride also. I have a 6 year old son with a developmental delay. We rode in June of this year and it is very whippy when you transfer from one scene to the next. My son has some trunk control issues and he had some problems keeping his head from banging against the non padded back rest. I spent more time holding his head then we did actually playing the games. It is a fantastic ride, probably the best interactive ride in all of the parks, but be careful if your child doesn't have good head/trunk control.

This is why I didn't attempt to ride. I figured even with my neck support brace and the side supports on my w/c I'd have not been able to hold my neck up or stay in a comfortable position in my chair. It helped that I could see the cars whipping around from the accessible queue line. Also hearing that SD's could NOT ride made me realize it was probably too rough for me too.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter