• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

Per a few sources from WDWMagic.com - mainly MagicFeather, Martin and Ghost with the most - expect MK and Epcot to open tomorrow - JC took a lot of damage, and may be closed a while, DAK has a ton of tree damage as well, and may open late, DHS also may open later.
Epcot had some flooding in some areas.

certainly not trying to minimize what damage was caused but seems like the end result was much less than was feared on Friday or so - very thankful for that! (for WDW area but really all/most of Florida)

From work experience I have to disagree...

True, people will be on flight of passage tomorrow and be enjoying their exclusive fireworks viewing...

But I only ever expected "minor discomfort" to vacationers in wdw. First world problems.

The whole of Florida - however - suffered severe damage from waters all up and down the state and many have no recourse to deal with it...10s of billions of dollars. It's a long road ahead for them.

But Orlando didn't get much.

Per a few sources from WDWMagic.com - mainly MagicFeather, Martin and Ghost with the most - expect MK and Epcot to open tomorrow - JC took a lot of damage, and may be closed a while, DAK has a ton of tree damage as well, and may open late, DHS also may open later.

I'm drawing a blank on what "JC" is?

True, people will be on flight of passage tomorrow and be enjoying their exclusive fireworks viewing...

But I only ever expected "minor discomfort" to vacationers in wdw. First world problems.

The whole of Florida - however - suffered severe damage from waters all up and down the state and many have no recourse to deal with it...10s of billions of dollars. It's a long road ahead for them.

Actually people might not be on Flight of Passage tomorrow...

hey-- nothing big that we can see-- one broken tree branch on all of the savanna visible from inside. Our homes by best report possible are fine but out of power. (venice area but mainland) AKL staff is doing an amazing job. We can't go outside until 6 at this time because of area curfew, Most think it will be lifted early. Check out at AKL extended until 6 pm.

on further look, the pool area looks rough, but mostly leaves and small plants moved about. there is one large oak i believe near the exit under the building to get to the mara that is leaning into some of the room balconies. the pool is full of leaves.

I was thinking Florida more broadly - and as my business is to cover losses related to this we have been all over analyzing this and there was fear this could have been much, much worse ... much worse that "only" tens of billions. Compared to some prediction what happened is not a blip of what was feared

Saw this post on another site that had a good summary of damage at WDW:
http://thedisworld.com/2017/09/11/2752/

• Animal Kingdom – lots of trees down, debris
  • Epcot – trees down and flooding
  • Disney’s All Star Resorts – several trees down
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – flooding in the lobby area, trees down
  • Disney’s Art of Animation – trees down
  • Disney’s Beach Club – tree debris
  • Disney’s Boardwalk – tree limbs down, debris
  • Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – tree down, debris
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort – 90mph wind speeds recorded and transformers exploded near the resort, some trees down
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – leaky roofs
  • Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – large trees downed, some longhouse roof damage
  • Disney’s Pop Century – trees down/uprooted, lots of tree debris
  • Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter – main building closed due to flooding, several downed trees, lots of tree debris, some pool fencing and light fixtures down
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside – large trees down and uprooted
  • Disney’s Saratoga Springs – trees down, lots of debris
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – large pine tree down blocking bus entrance, trees down in parking lot
  • Disney’s Yacht Club – tree limbs down, debris

So this is the quote from DIS main page on what actually happened in Orlando:

"Hurricane Irma has passed over the Orlando area, but with less impact than initially feared. However, winds up to 43 mph and gusts up to 69 mph are still being reported near downtown Orlando."

I'm trying to put this into perspective, because we had wind gusts of 40 MPH here in Saskatchewan yesterday and no one blinked. People were golfing, doing yard work and going about their day. That's just a regular windy day here. We get thunderstorms all the time here with 60 MPH wind gusts. Nothing gets damaged and no one even stops what they are doing.

The 180 MPH winds thats crazy, but what hit Orlando last night just seems like a regular summer thunderstorm to me.

"Hurricane Irma has passed over the Orlando area, but with less impact than initially feared. However, winds up to 43 mph and gusts up to 69 mph are still being reported near downtown Orlando."

I'm trying to put this into perspective, because we had wind gusts of 40 MPH here in Saskatchewan yesterday and no one blinked. People were golfing, doing yard work and going about their day. That's just a regular windy day here. We get thunderstorms all the time here with 60 MPH wind gusts. Nothing gets damaged and no one even stops what they are doing.

The 180 MPH winds thats crazy, but what hit Orlando last night just seems like a regular summer thunderstorm to me.
Last night they had 90+ MPH winds. That is not a regular day. You also had tornados, and several inches of rain in a short amount of time.

The 43mph winds with gusts up to 60 is what is still being experienced today from the remaining outer bands. Orlando/Disney experienced much higher sustained winds last night and into the early morning hours.

Were you here? This was no regular thunderstorm. Orlando got a direct hit by a category 2 hurricane. While not catastrophic, we have a lot of damage in my neighborhood. My fence is gone, a tree fell on my neighbors house, etc.

Edit - Winds were MUCH higher than what you saw reported. That may be based on after she passed us. Were still getting little gusts.

Same here. We regularly get the same winds you mention here in the mountains of NC. Never any real problems. This fact, did not, however, prevent people from descending like vultures on every WalMart, grocery store, and convenience store in sight, and emptying them out. People have no perspective. Also, can someone tell me why when a big storm threatens, people rush to buy perishable items (milk, bread, eggs) first? I find it odd because these items will be spoiled first, especially if the power fails. Seems like canned foods and nonperishable items would be what people would stock up on, but the exact opposite seems to be true. You can live a long, long time without ever eating milk, bread, and eggs. In fact, your entire life :)

I live about 10 miles from WDW. This was the worst storm I have been through in 22+ years. There is a lot of flooding even in Central Florida. Downed trees and power lines. No one is allowed on the roads until later this evening. Even though WDW might not have had much damage, there are cast members who did. In my parents subdivision the streets are flooded. About 90% of their neighbors have damage to their homes. They live just off of 192 right down the road from WDW.

It was a long night for us locals. Please be patient with the cast members who are working. My friends went in Saturday afternoon, left their families, because they were called into work. They are tired and worried about their families and homes. Working 3 days and spotty phone service is very hard on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter