Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

True but in lieu of free dining one usually chooses the room discount (after doing the calculations), if they care about saving money.

Of course, at this point if folks will be spending 2-3 days in their room, they won't be using any of those credits they got for "free" while paying full price for the room. If someone can reschedule and still get a promo, awesome for them. But I don't think any discount or dvc points for that matter are worth the risk in this situation. If I were in the same boat I would just try to change to another time, even if that means my child missing a couple of days of school in the process. Thankfully in most cases the travel companies and airlines seem to be making it right for people, even DVC which has restrictive rules in place for point usage.

It has been reported this is the most powerful hurricane to ever form in the Atlantic Ocean. Gov. Scott just stated it is larger than Andrew. MCO handles 800 planes a day and 133k passengers, now add MIA, JAX, IATA and FLL! This is going to be one big logistical nightmare moving these planes and the passengers already in place. Freight Railroads and Amtrak along with Commuter services will shut down due to possible track washouts. Houston already has hundreds of out of state utility companies already working on restoring power and water and won't be any help to this area for weeks. A lot of people are pondering right now whether to come or not. Guess the Governor warnings will fall on death ears. Save the airline seats for volunteers and relief workers. Oh wait and there is another one named Jose just behind.

We called and canceled this morning, supposed to fly out today and return Sunday. Took over an hour on hold to get through to someone but they waived all penalties, even with no official hurricane warning for Orlando. Thumbs up Disney. Trying phone line again now for a separate issue and keep getting the "All circuits are busy now" message. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
We called and canceled this morning, supposed to fly out today and return Sunday. Took over an hour on hold to get through to someone but they waived all penalties, even with no official hurricane warning for Orlando. Thumbs up Disney. Trying phone line again now for a separate issue and keep getting the message "All circuits are busy now" message. Stay safe everyone!
No matter what really happens, you probably made the best choice you could for your family. There are just too many variables at play that could take your vacation from "so-so" to something much worse. It's probably better to be completely out of the equation.

I hope you get to make up the vacation, soon.

Due to the track of Hurricane Irma, American Airlines announced Wednesday it will “wind down operations” on Friday afternoon at its Miami hub, as well as Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Sarasota and West Palm Beach. Operations will be canceled throughout the weekend.

Additionally, flights that were scheduled to arrive in Miami Friday from Europe and South America have also been canceled. American Airlines says it will continue to evaluate operations at other Florida airports, and will make adjustments as necessary.

Have lived through central Florida hurricanes...I can say that the most damaging/impacting storms are those that cross the coastline in close proximity to the I-4 corridor...notable those that feed off the gulf and move inland between fort Myers and Tampa...

This storm...while making it rain like hell...will have winds likely well below the really nasty levels if it moves straight up the peninsula as it seems to be suggesting right now.

Plots.jpg

I'm betting most everything will close down Saturday and all day Sunday (if what I've seen from the track is correct)

They are loath to do that...

I believe September 12, 2001 was the first or maybe second time they ever had a shutdown...they only pull the trigger if absolutely necessary

this is awful :( I feel so sorry for anyone who lives in its path

There are tradeoffs anywhere you live...you get 320 days a year of 80 degree temperatures...occasionally you have to battle the wind...

Green Bay has never once had to deal with a hurricane...but the weather isn't so "tropical"

Hopefully it spins out a little...but this is a massive flood/damaging storm to the US based on the track. Not seen since the Rita/Katrina double feature.

We called and canceled this morning, supposed to fly out today and return Sunday. Took over an hour on hold to get through to someone but they waived all penalties, even with no official hurricane warning for Orlando. Thumbs up Disney. Trying phone line again now for a separate issue and keep getting the "All circuits are busy now" message. Stay safe everyone!

I think that was the prudent choice...even a last minute change in direction at this point would still soak Florida for basically your whole trip...it's a 200 mile wide shower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter