Hurricane watch 2018

I am from Ohio as well. If you drive I would suggest going a round about way to get to Florida. I would do more of a "C" shape travel heading west. it will take longer but you would be more out of the path. I would think doing this you will still have some yucky driving since this storm is so big. I would avoid 77 south.

Ok thanks. Our new plan is to go west through columbus, lexington, knowxville and atl. We're leaving friday afternoon and idk if leaving earlier or later would help either way. Leaving earlier would put us (time wise) closer to the hurricane and leaving later will cut into our park days. I'm stressing!! lol

I would leave earlier if you could. Maybe even Thursday night if you can. Going this route I would think the most you will get is rain. The latest model, as of 11:30, shows landfall at 8 am Friday. If you can get to GA by then you will be fine. I have heard some talk of Flo moving a little south.

I understand your stress. I would be too.

Ok thanks. Our new plan is to go west through columbus, lexington, knowxville and atl. We're leaving friday afternoon and idk if leaving earlier or later would help either way. Leaving earlier would put us (time wise) closer to the hurricane and leaving later will cut into our park days. I'm stressing!! lol

Keep watching, as you might want to go down thru Alabama and then over the Panhandle of Florida and down 75 from there. From reports that I have already seen, gas and stuff is already an issue in Georgia.

Just for reference, we lived outside of Columbus, Ohio for 8 years before moving back to the panhandle of Florida. I do have experience with the routes and with hurricanes, but no expert by any means.

Hey everyone! Sending everyone love and positive vibes, especially those in the affected areas.
My husband and I are flying out of Philly to Orlando Thursday night, and reading this thread has me worried our flight may be cancelled- anyone with more experience flying in hurricane season know if that is the case? May try and shift it earlier Thursday if so.
My sister is meeting us flying from Iowa and was due to connect in Charlotte- after 4 hours wait on the phone today with American managed to get her a connector in Dallas instead which seems safer. Get the feeling airlines are swamped right now.

Hey everyone! Sending everyone love and positive vibes, especially those in the affected areas.
My husband and I are flying out of Philly to Orlando Thursday night, and reading this thread has me worried our flight may be cancelled- anyone with more experience flying in hurricane season know if that is the case? May try and shift it earlier Thursday if so.
My sister is meeting us flying from Iowa and was due to connect in Charlotte- after 4 hours wait on the phone today with American managed to get her a connector in Dallas instead which seems safer. Get the feeling airlines are swamped right now.
I would try to shift earlier if you can do so without penalty. If not, you may still be fine since the arrival of the storm seems to creep further and further into Friday with each hurricane center update. Good luck! I am still nervous about our thurs morning flight from PHL as well, but feeling better about it now.

I am so torn about what to do. I'm not supposed to fly down from DC until this weekend, so I don't know if I should chance the storm staying on it's current track and keep my plans, or head down earlier this week just to get down there and avoid any possible delays or cancellations. Such a hard choice!

Leave early. Flights will be a mess.

I would try to shift earlier if you can do so without penalty. If not, you may still be fine since the arrival of the storm seems to creep further and further into Friday with each hurricane center update. Good luck! I am still nervous about our thurs morning flight from PHL as well, but feeling better about it now.

Called in and because our departure/arrival is not listed on the travel advisory, it would be a $200 change fee. Going to sit it out and make a call tomorrow- glad others are in the same boat with me- I'll be thinking of you leaving from PHL on Thurs! I just don't see how we make it from PHL to MCO without a large diversion, and I know airlines don't like taking route diversions longer than a certain distance.

You might have 'real' issues finding gas. Here in the Triangle area around Raleigh, there are long lines for fuel and some places are out, waiting to get more. Especially in the states of N. & S. Carolinas, there are lots of evacuees fueling up to get out, so better really think of your route before leaving home - also hotel availability. Also, be prepared for torrential rain pours and flooded out roads far inland.

Called in and because our departure/arrival is not listed on the travel advisory, it would be a $200 change fee. Going to sit it out and make a call tomorrow- glad others are in the same boat with me- I'll be thinking of you leaving from PHL on Thurs! I just don't see how we make it from PHL to MCO without a large diversion, and I know airlines don't like taking route diversions longer than a certain distance.
Same situ here! I called and they wanted $250/300 for the difference between a night and morning flight! I'm due to fly in from NYC Thursday night. We'll see what happens!

Same situ here! I called and they wanted $250/300 for the difference between a night and morning flight! I'm due to fly in from NYC Thursday night. We'll see what happens!

Here is the latest estimate from the national hurricane center on when/where tropical storm force winds will arrive: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/212435.shtml?mltoa34#contents

Click "most likely." By 8PM Thursday, they're still pretty close to the coast... think positive! (or eat the change fee)

We always took 71 from Columbus to Cincinnati and picked up 75 from there, but if you want to go a little further west you can stay on 71 to Louisville and pick up 65 south to Mobile and pick up 10 there to come in through the panhandle to meet up with 75 in Lake City, FL. I understand not wanting to drive any further west than you have to, and I personally wouldn’t go any further west than that so long as the forecast to stall stays consistent.

I grew up on the west side of Columbus and we made many trips to Florida from there.

Yes, it really depends a lot on your timing. My BIL hit right in the middle of the evening rush and was just stuck. But other times of day it's not so bad, relatively speaking. A good app is worth it for something like this.

A word of advice for those of you going through or around Atlanta. Always use Waze! Day or night, it doesn't matter. There is always construction, accidents, delays, etc. Always!

Looks like the forecast changed a little bit overnight. According to the NHC, Florence now looks to landfall closer South Carolina, and then make a southwesterly turn and stall into more of GA this weekend. Just goes to show how much forecasts and models can change on a dime. Who knows what the next set of models will say this afternoon?

I am a mess this morning over this storm. Saw the shifting southwest into Georgia. We are driving from Chicago so now if my husband's boss agrees he can leave early on Friday we will hit the road Friday by 6pm, spend the night in Alabama Saturday and get into the panhandle of FL by 6am Sunday.
Hopefully this is all before any storm impacts arrive to that area. I'm crossing fingers and toes. And really hoping the storm track doesn't not change again south.

I am supposed to fly out of Atlanta to MCO on Friday evening. We can't leave early because kids are in school. On a scale of 1-10, how worried should I be???

I am supposed to fly out of Atlanta to MCO on Friday evening. We can't leave early because kids are in school. On a scale of 1-10, how worried should I be???

I would say 7. It will depend on how the storms goes. Right now they are saying a dip to the south will happen. If this happens Atlanta could see some bad weather but the worst will still be in the Carolina's.

I am a mess this morning over this storm. Saw the shifting southwest into Georgia. We are driving from Chicago so now if my husband's boss agrees he can leave early on Friday we will hit the road Friday by 6pm, spend the night in Alabama Saturday and get into the panhandle of FL by 6am Sunday.
Hopefully this is all before any storm impacts arrive to that area. I'm crossing fingers and toes. And really hoping the storm track doesn't not change again south.
I think you'll be fine on that route.

Friday? I think the storm does not reach landfall until Friday evening or Saturday Morning.. even if it dips and Atlanta gets some wind/rain that is not expected until Sunday or Monday. Seems like you would be fine for Friday evening.. My worry meter would be set to 3..

I would say 7. It will depend on how the storms goes. Right now they are saying a dip to the south will happen. If this happens Atlanta could see some bad weather but the worst will still be in the Carolina's.

I just watched the local ATL weather this morning, and they're not calling for significant hurricane impacts LOCALLY until Saturday/Sunday. Of course, that could change, but I'm watching it like crazy as well. My Mom is connecting through ATL on Friday afternoon on her way here to keep our kids. In Nashville, we're being told at this time that it really won't affect anything until maybe Sunday, and it won't be a heavy impact. East TN will get a lot more than we will, which, as the crow flies, is just north of ATL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter