I am psyched!!! (Atkins)

kidzmom - the reason I started Atkins was to avoid becoming a diabetic. I found out last year that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which is ultimately caused by the fact that my body is insulin resistant and I have to produce 3x the normal amount to do the same job. My blood sugar is fine but if I don't loose weight and eat less carbs I could easily become diabetic. My mother was just diagnosed last year with diabetes and is now on insulin. I would really like to avoid that if at all possible.

I would suggest talking with your doctor - mine is pleased that I am doing this. The key is to eat and take a multi vitamin.

I am a little confused. I am about to start and my book says that lettuce is okay and a chicken caesar salad would be a good lunch. But on induction it says only 1 salad greens per day. Sooo, my question is. Lettuce is okay after the induction faze but not during?

I have been following the Atkins diet for quite some time, and it seems that most people are very happy with it. My father has been on it for almost two years, and weighs as much as he did in high school, and he's reduced his cholesterol. He loves the diet, but he doesn't have children to care for. So, how do you guys do the Atkins and feed your family at the same time? Is it a diet that is easily followable for young children?

kidzmom3, I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'd like to help! Yes, you can have lettuce, yes you can have a green salad or ceasar salad. You can have 1 salad per day on induction, whenever you want to have it. If you don't have a salad you probably will feel horrible! In fact, if you feel really bad, you can have 2 salads a day during induction.

cmbelle- how old are your kids? I talked to my doc about atkins & my 18 month old. She said it's really a good diet for everyone if you think about it as protein & vegetables (which is what I try to do). I don't feed him bacon 3 meals a day, but I wouldn't eat like that myself! My son still sometimes eats toddler meals, but we often give him what we have, which is eggs for breakfast & meat & veggies for dinner. I'll add fruit, bread or other starches to his meals if it makes sense. lunch is more normal kid stuff, especially when he's at school.

He loves eggs, is willing to try different meats & fish, sometimes eats salad & enjoys his veggies! I sometimes give him cheese as a snack. He still drinks milk & water, no juice. I don't forbid sweets, but he is too young to know what he's missing. He eats them at Grandmas :)

I think the younger they are, the easier it is! Basically, I don't have a problem with my son eating any particular food, but at meals with us he eats the atkins way.

I basically feed my family the same stuff I'm eating for dinner! I'll make meat, veggies, salad and usually some kind of starch (rice or potatoes). I just won't eat the starch! They don't notice anything different. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter