I don't understand why its such a big deal to take your children out of school..

polyfan said:
Our policyi s no pajama and I completely agree with it. It is inappropriate. Do you wear pajamas to church? or to a restuarant? This is why schools are forced to set guidelines otherwise everyone would wear what they want and complain. I do not want my children sitting next to children in school in their pajamas or in a shirt that has an inappropriate saying on it.
Yeah, in my school PJs are against the dress code, so this would've resulted in students being sent home.

graygables said:
I've said it my whole life...if I (or my kid) can learn the material and make the grades without their hineys warming the desk chair, then so be it.
The trouble is that most kids CAN'T do that. Everyone on the boards says their kid can, but 14 years of teaching experience tells me that my students ARE picking up quite a bit from beign present in my class! Students who are absent almost always score significantly lower on a test than their better-attended counterparts.

It amazes me that grown people think that school is not an important necessity, but then again I guess that is why we have young children committing crimes now days, and why there are so many disrespectful, arrogant children in society.

Very well said Ms. Pete. It just seems that some parents think "to heck with the rules" and I will do what I want and teach my child to act the same way and if we get fined then oh well, we will just pay it because we can afford it!
I wonder if that will sit well in the future when they have jobs. Do they tell their boss that they do not agree with the company policy and therefore are wearing pjs to the office and taking 2 weeks off, unscheduled, to go to Disney just because I can?
:confused3

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
I do see your point. The problem is we can pay the fine and just go about our business if we want to, but that doesn't make the policy RIGHT. The policy is up to interpretation by every individual district, and enforcement is also up to the districts. If they feel like prosecuting they can, if not, they don't have to. So should parents be allowed to take their kids on vacation as long as they submit a payment of $500 to the district afterwards? That kind of makes it a socio-economic issue. It really isn't the school's place to determine if a child can go out of town. If the child's grades are not a problem then the district should butt out. Truancy is a real problem in Dallas - I get that. But their time and money would be FAR better spent going after REAL truants, not elementary kids on vacation! It would annoy me to pay $500, but I could pay it if I had to. The lesson my son would get from that is "all things are possible if you have money". So let's hope the district is willing to count the notice as a "warning" and leave me alone!

Apparently the county or whoever is making this rule sees it as ok. I have never heard of anything like this before. THAT is ridiculous!

Do you reralize how many stupid rules, laws, regulations I have to live with every day in business, my personal life, schools, etc.? Just because something seems "stupid" to you doesn't mean you're not required to follow it.

Be an adult and work to change whatever rule you feel is stupid. There are elections for the school board. There are meetings and hearings. A whole host of ways to affect change in the appropriate manner.

Quick example. My DD HS does not allow cell phones within the building. That can be frustrating for me, and her. When there's after school activities, it's tough to communicate. Yet I understand why they have the rule, and we deal with it. Even though she wouldn't be one to abuse the use of cell phones (having it ring in class,etc.) I understand that with 2,000 kids, it would happen constantly. Yet I don't say "that's a stupid rule, honey you can have your phone in school."

WICruiser, I do agree with a lot of what you said.

It is much better to be proactive and voice your opinion for change than to just ignore any 'dumb' rules, and then be made about any consequences. This applies to most everything in life.

If you think that a section of interstate should be 65mph instead of 55, and you choose to speed, you WILL need to pay the fine. But there is nothing wrong with trying to convince the state to raise the limit.

If a senior thinks their 10pm curfew is stupid and decides to stay out late, they WILL get in trouble if they just decide to ignore the 'stupid' rule and stay out until midnight. But if they sat down with their parents BEFORE the fact, they can try to argue their case for a later curfew.

If a parent think that attendance rules are unreasonable, and chooses to ignore them, the students WILL likely be reprimanded in some way at the school. However, if a parent is proactive, attends school board meetings, writes letters, etc. and tries to CHANGE the rediculous rule, then they may be the change that they want to see in the world.

I guess for me, no matter how stupid a rule is, I want to teach my children to follow the 'rules' respectfully, and if they disagree with something, I want to teach them the proper ways to go about getting the change they desire.

Great post, Staci. I'll only add this. I'm convinced many of the same people who have this attitude are the same ones who rant and rave and threaten lawsuits when little Johnny gets in trouble at school. Instead of disciplining Johnny, it's the school's fault, teacher's fault, etc.

At our HS, every athlete must sign a pledge. They can not even be present at parties whre there is alcohol and/or drugs. Regardless of whether the student/athlete partakes in any of it. This is well publicized, and everyone knows it. Yet what do you think happens nearly every year? That's right, little Johnny gets busted being at a party and he's kicked of the team. What do mommy and/or daddy do? Complain to the school, the coaches, sue the school, etc. Do they discipline Johnny? Of course not. Kids know darn well which parties will be like that. Avoid them. If the beer or pot comes out, leave. And I notice how the kid in question is NEVER the one who was actually drinking. All because of a "stupid" rule.

In short, if we teach our kids to ignore rules they think are stupid, look out. Because teens think everything is stupid to begin with. If we lead by example, you can bet they'll follow. And you won't be pleased with the rules they choose to ignore.

Points well taken.

My DS is 9. He still WANTS to be with us (his parents). DH got ONE week of vacation this year. Vacations are assigned on the basis of seniority, DH had no choice. It was in October. We chose to take DS out of school to spend time together as a family. Maybe doing things together now while DS is young will help us develop a strong relationship with him so when he is a teenager he won't become completely alienated from us and make HORRIBLE choices. Maybe it won't matter. I guess we'll see.

Maybe in the future DS will choose to break every rule he encounters, and maybe his reasoning will be "you once took me to Disney for four days and it was unexcused". I tend to think that won't be the case, but it could be.

Education is important and we encourage DS to take his academics seriously. Family is also important. I appreciate what the district is trying to accomplish with their "one size fits all" truancy policy, but it isn't that simple. I appreciate that my child missed classroom instruction while he was gone that can not be made up the way a worksheet can be completed at home. If his teachers had expressed concern at his ability to catch up then that would have been a different circumstance. He made a perfect score on his state standardized test last year, and this year's test won't be until February. He'll do fine. When all is said and done I don't regret taking DS to Disney. DH lost both of his parents when he was in his 20's. Life is short. This time we decided family trumps the truancy policy. That's just us.

Kudos, MrsPete, for an excellent post!

pinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIcruizer
Do you reralize how many stupid rules, laws, regulations I have to live with every day in business, my personal life, schools, etc.? Just because something seems "stupid" to you doesn't mean you're not required to follow it.

Have you ever had this experience? You think a certain rule is stupid, then you become an insider or a leader in the group and suddenly in one big "duh" moment YOU UNDERSTAND WHY the group has that rule in place. Now that you have more information, you understand that it was necessary all along.

I've had that experience a couple times.

WIcruizer said:
Quick example. My DD HS does not allow cell phones within the building. That can be frustrating for me, and her. When there's after school activities, it's tough to communicate. Yet I understand why they have the rule, and we deal with it. Even though she wouldn't be one to abuse the use of cell phones (having it ring in class,etc.) I understand that with 2,000 kids, it would happen constantly. Yet I don't say "that's a stupid rule, honey you can have your phone in school."
Yep, my 2nd period class was interrupted THREE TIMES yesterday by THREE DIFFERENT cell phones. Students at my school are not allowed to have phones either; well, they're allowed to have them in bookbags or purses, but they cannot be visible or audible. We don't actively search for phones, but if one becomes evident, the teacher takes it, turns it into the office, and the student can get it back at the end of the day -- along with his after-school detention date notification.

Back to yesterday, I cannot believe that when phone #1 went off and I took it and sealed it up in an envelope, the other students didn't silently reach into their pockets and make sure theirs were TURNED OFF! If they hadn't received calls, I never would've known the students had them.

Now that you have more information, you understand that it was necessary all along.

That happens quite often. The most common one in all areas of life is when I think a rule is inconvenient for ME. But when I realize it applies to a larger group, it makes a lot more sense.

We don't actively search for phones, but if one becomes evident, the teacher takes it, turns it into the office, and the student can get it back at the end of the day -- along with his after-school detention date notification.

You can't imagine how tempting it is to institute that rule for business meetings!

I’ve read all the posts, although not as carefully as I probably should have. Here are a few things I think.

Missing school, or not, will not effect work ethic. Not to mention, being at school does not equal good grades anyhow. It just teaches kids to show up, not to give a job their all. We all know many people who show up and do next to nothing and/or do a rotten job. Didn’t one poster say their wife quit because she got sick of working with lousy teachers—they were all still showing up though. Therefore, that argument holds no water for me. In addition, that story makes me much more thankful for those teachers who do work so hard for so little—where would kids be without their dedication.

How much a kid will miss from not being in class depends on several things. Like what grade it is, what the class is, how the teacher teaches, what the child’s learning style is, how the child is doing in school, how involved the parents are, how the teacher AND school react to the missed days (if they are bothered, it will be harder), how the parent handles the missed days, what actual concepts are being studied during the absence, etc. Because of this, you cannot blanket statement if it is a bad thing or if it is irrelevant

As far as following the rules because those are the rules and if you don’t like them change them first. Uh, not always. There is this thing (and it has changed the world many times) called civil disobedience. A good example (seeing how we’ve been inundated with the story lately) is Rosa Parks refusing to get out of her seat and sit in the back of the bus. To understand the concepts a little better, read the book. Heck, if it wasn’t for that book, most of the acts (i.e., Boston Tea Party) leading up to the American Revolution wouldn’t have happened.

The school system is set up to educate and it shouldn’t be monitoring attendance and the reasons school is missed. Why excuse a trip to Rome and not to WDW? Or for the flu, but not for family time? A missed day is a missed day. And I think it is a shame if you are more willing to help one student than another. I just see that as a form of discrimination. Go ahead and flame away. Equal rights for all, period, as far as I’m concerned.

In the big picture, no one is going to know or care what someone’s primary education grades are. Once you’re in college (or have decided to skip it altogether), it is irrelevant. Moreover, thanks to community colleges, even those who did poorly in school can still get a college education. What’s that old joke...What do you call someone who graduate first in medical school and last in medical school? Doctor. I guess no one is going to care what your college grades are in the end either. Oh, and NEVER does anyone care what your attendance record is.

The value of an education isn’t based on forcing attendance. My kids don’t know if I was at school every day or missed 2 days a week. What they know is that both Mom and Dad are not only high school graduates, but that Dad has a BS and MBA and PhD and a law degree and Mom has two BAs and two MAs. They know that Mom and Dad were avid book readers, read the news and talk about current events not just around, but WITH them. Our kids are encouraged to think and explore the world. They were also taught to take time out from life and enjoy it, when needed. Life is all about quality. I would hate to not enjoy life. Nor should you have any regrets. Life is short; the time for fun might not be there tomorrow. I don’t think anyone is going to die wishing they had worked more or had better attendance at school. They might wish they had taken that dream trip or spent more time with family or simply enjoyed what they had.

Ask"WhyNot?" said:
I’ve read all the posts, although not as carefully as I probably should have. Here are a few things I think.

The value of an education isn’t based on forcing attendance. My kids don’t know if I was at school every day or missed 2 days a week. What they know is that both Mom and Dad are not only high school graduates, but that Dad has a BS and MBA and PhD and a law degree and Mom has two BAs and two MAs. They know that Mom and Dad were avid book readers, read the news and talk about current events not just around, but WITH them. Our kids are encouraged to think and explore the world. They were also taught to take time out from life and enjoy it, when needed. Life is all about quality. I would hate to not enjoy life. Nor should you have any regrets. Life is short; the time for fun might not be there tomorrow. I don’t think anyone is going to die wishing they had worked more or had better attendance at school. They might wish they had taken that dream trip or spent more time with family or simply enjoyed what they had.

Well said. :sunny: My son is LD and we are taking him out of school for 7 days. I've talked to his 5th grade teacher and he said to go have fun. Not many students work as hard as my son does on a daily basis. He deserves to have a fun vacation at WDW. We will not take him out once he starts middle school. I have a degree in education so I can teach him any new concepts that he misses while we are gone.

Lori

This is for Ask"WhyNot?" - - Can I stand up & cheer for you? Very well said.

daisyduck123 said:

Yes, I'm cheering too! That was well said. I particularly like the part about looking back and remembering terrific trips, not the fact that you missed a week of school one year.

daisyduck123 said:

Yes, a standing ovation for Ask"WhyNot"!! :goodvibes

I stand by my assertion that if DS becomes a menace to society it WILL NOT be based exclusively on the fact that he went to WDW for 4 days in 4th grade. ;)

In case anyone was curious, he got his report card last week for the marking period including our trip. All A's and B's.

Wow, this is quite a thread! I've read most, not all, of your posts and I can't believe some of the things people have been saying!

I am an elementary music teacher. I am currently on maternity (unpaid) leave, but must leave my home at 4pm tonight to go help with the middle school musical. I chose to continue to help with this project, even though I am not even receiving my regular salary (let's not even get into why there isn't any money for the musical itself) because I started the musical last year and wanted to be sure that it continued in my absense. I also wanted to make sure the high school music teacher (and my baby sister) did not have to "go it alone" while I'm off. I'm telling you all this, because some of you seem to think that teachers who take personal days (which are a part of my contract and benefits package that I was given when I signed on) to go on vacation are, oh how was it phrased, negligent. I have to admit that I found that statement (made 28 or so pages ago) really bothered me. I guess if we used this formula, a doctor who took a vacation shouldn't be visited again. I have, once in my career of 10 years, taken two personal days to go on a Disney vacation with my extended family. We chose Thanksgiving because our district closes school for three days for this holiday already. We could not go in the summer because my father-in-law has medical conditions which make Florida in the summer not a possibility. (Not to mention that at the time I was doing graduate work in the summer to keep my job.) I wouldn't question how anyone used there benefits and granted time off in any other profession and I can't believe people feel it is ok to do that to me.

If people are jealous of my summer vacation, then they should have been a teacher. My husband was originally a teacher and switched jobs, he now makes twice as much as I do and I don't begrudge him his money - he CHOSE the profession. I chose the one with less pay, but other things that I love - like my students, the young man who I had when he was little and stood before me today as a Senior and told me that he really hopes his father will come to his swearing in for the Navy on Tuesday because he knows he has never really made him proud and wants to do that before he "goes off to war". This young man made me cry and then turned around with the rest of the chorus and made me cry again when they a sang a beautiful song at our Veteran's Day assembly (yep, this negligent teacher was at school today to accompany the HS chorus while also on unpaid leave!) Not everything that needs to be learned can be taught in a classroom, sometimes kids learn more by experiencing a vacation than they might learn while in the classroom.

As far as taking your student out of school for vacation. My grandparents (Retired Superintendant and teacher) took us out for vacations - mostly to World's Fairs) and my parents (both teachers) who pulled us out once to take us to a political rally (that I really wanted to see in 4th grade), and I'm not scarred from it, in fact I learned a great deal everytime I was out of school - even in Disney!!! It is unfortunate that No Child Left Behind has forced states and districts to come up with quantitative ways to measure a school's progress and that one of those measures chosen is attendance. My suggestion, get out there and vote to have it changed. Start with the President and work your way down to your local school boards. Really look at candidates and figure out who stands for what you believe in the most and volunteer to help their campaign. Talk to other people in your community, get involved with the process.

This is a long post so I'll be quiet. Most parents are trying their hardest, most teachers are trying their hardest, I'll even go so far as to say most administrators and board officials are trying their hardest. What we are missing is compassion for one another and a willingness to get in and "get dirty" to get things changed.

Have fun on your vacations - I'll be on my way to the World this time next week! (We planned another Disney vacation for Thanksgiving before we realized I'd be out on leave anyway! Oh well, my sister-in-law the teacher and mother-in-law the teacher will use their personal days in my honor!)

Thanks,
Amy

We're now on 30 pages of back and forth of impassioned beliefs for and against this issue. Has anyone's position changed? Has there been anything that anyone has written that's made you stop and think that maybe what you thought is wrong? Would any of you admit it?

The one thing that has cropped up that has made me wonder is the talk of civil disobedience and how to go about affecting change. The question I want to raise is: what is the end goal?

Is it the ability to pull your child out of school whenever you feel like it, for as long as you want, without repurcussions? What are the limits? What change(s) do you want?

If your school board were to convene tonight and say they wanted to revisit the rules by which parents can excuse their child from school, what would suggest?

So as to not just raise these questions and not offer a jumping off point - how about this as an idea - what if we gave children "personal days" similar to those in the work place. A student could have up to five days that they could have off no questions asked. Any class work missed, tests skipped, papers due would have to be made up appropriately (i.e. turning in assignments early, accepting the consequences of turning in assignments late, etc.). Any days missed beyond 5 days and extra work would be assigned to the student. Is this effective for all grades, or does is this too geared towards junior and high schoolers? Would this work? Is this even addressing the fundamental issue(s)?

I could embellish this some more, but don't want to bog down this post further.

Instead of the incessant "I'm right, you're not" back and forth, let's see if we can make this constructive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter