I don't understand why its such a big deal to take your children out of school..

afinnteach said:
Wow, this is quite a thread! I've read most, not all, of your posts and I can't believe some of the things people have been saying!

I am an elementary music teacher. I am currently on maternity (unpaid) leave, but must leave my home at 4pm tonight to go help with the middle school musical. I chose to continue to help with this project, even though I am not even receiving my regular salary (let's not even get into why there isn't any money for the musical itself) because I started the musical last year and wanted to be sure that it continued in my absense. I also wanted to make sure the high school music teacher (and my baby sister) did not have to "go it alone" while I'm off. I'm telling you all this, because some of you seem to think that teachers who take personal days (which are a part of my contract and benefits package that I was given when I signed on) to go on vacation are, oh how was it phrased, negligent. I have to admit that I found that statement (made 28 or so pages ago) really bothered me. I guess if we used this formula, a doctor who took a vacation shouldn't be visited again. I have, once in my career of 10 years, taken two personal days to go on a Disney vacation with my extended family. We chose Thanksgiving because our district closes school for three days for this holiday already. We could not go in the summer because my father-in-law has medical conditions which make Florida in the summer not a possibility. (Not to mention that at the time I was doing graduate work in the summer to keep my job.) I wouldn't question how anyone used there benefits and granted time off in any other profession and I can't believe people feel it is ok to do that to me.

If people are jealous of my summer vacation, then they should have been a teacher. My husband was originally a teacher and switched jobs, he now makes twice as much as I do and I don't begrudge him his money - he CHOSE the profession. I chose the one with less pay, but other things that I love - like my students, the young man who I had when he was little and stood before me today as a Senior and told me that he really hopes his father will come to his swearing in for the Navy on Tuesday because he knows he has never really made him proud and wants to do that before he "goes off to war". This young man made me cry and then turned around with the rest of the chorus and made me cry again when they a sang a beautiful song at our Veteran's Day assembly (yep, this negligent teacher was at school today to accompany the HS chorus while also on unpaid leave!) Not everything that needs to be learned can be taught in a classroom, sometimes kids learn more by experiencing a vacation than they might learn while in the classroom.

As far as taking your student out of school for vacation. My grandparents (Retired Superintendant and teacher) took us out for vacations - mostly to World's Fairs) and my parents (both teachers) who pulled us out once to take us to a political rally (that I really wanted to see in 4th grade), and I'm not scarred from it, in fact I learned a great deal everytime I was out of school - even in Disney!!! It is unfortunate that No Child Left Behind has forced states and districts to come up with quantitative ways to measure a school's progress and that one of those measures chosen is attendance. My suggestion, get out there and vote to have it changed. Start with the President and work your way down to your local school boards. Really look at candidates and figure out who stands for what you believe in the most and volunteer to help their campaign. Talk to other people in your community, get involved with the process.

This is a long post so I'll be quiet. Most parents are trying their hardest, most teachers are trying their hardest, I'll even go so far as to say most administrators and board officials are trying their hardest. What we are missing is compassion for one another and a willingness to get in and "get dirty" to get things changed.

Have fun on your vacations - I'll be on my way to the World this time next week! (We planned another Disney vacation for Thanksgiving before we realized I'd be out on leave anyway! Oh well, my sister-in-law the teacher and mother-in-law the teacher will use their personal days in my honor!)

Thanks,
Amy

I hope you have a ball!!

cricket429 said:
Very well said Ms. Pete. It just seems that some parents think "to heck with the rules" and I will do what I want and teach my child to act the same way and if we get fined then oh well, we will just pay it because we can afford it!
I wonder if that will sit well in the future when they have jobs. Do they tell their boss that they do not agree with the company policy and therefore are wearing pjs to the office and taking 2 weeks off, unscheduled, to go to Disney just because I can?
:confused3

This keeps being brought up about kids having jobs in the future and having problems in adhering to company policy. I've said it before but I guess it has to be said again. Two of my kids are older. They work, go to college, and my son's case goes to highschool along with college. Both kids have all the respect in the world for their jobs and wouldn't think of going against work policy. These are the same two kids that have been taken out of school every year in the first 6 years for vacations. One has nothing to do with the other. Stop trying to find fault for taking kids out of school.

They were not "false reasons". They were mearly examples to make a point. It still goes back to teaching your children how to be responsible people, not how to get what ever they want no matter how they have to go about doing it. This had been debated over and over and the two sides will never agree.
It is all a matter of choice and how you choose to raise your child.

cricket429 said:
They were not "false reasons". They were mearly examples to make a point. It still goes back to teaching your children how to be responsible people, not how to get what ever they want no matter how they have to go about doing it. This had been debated over and over and the two sides will never agree.
It is all a matter of choice and how you choose to raise your child.

Unless you have proof that taking kids out of school for a week every year to go on vacation somehow affects their work habits later in life then you have no leg to stand on.

I was really sort of reluctant to pull out my DS for 4 days, at first. I guess partly becuase I am an elementary teacher and would be missing 4 days of work myself. BUT, I really wanted our family to visit at a time when it was not scorching hot and not terribly crowded. SO, last week we went. He missed 4 days of school and I missed 4 days of work and I can absolutely say with no regrets. Our administration was very cooperative. Our trip was absolutely wonderful. My children know the importance of school but I also want them to know the importance of family. It will not matter 10 years from now if they missed a couple of days of school, but the family time we have shared will matter. I, ironically, found a picture frame in World of Disney that I had to purchase when it brought tears to my eyes... It had black and white pictures of Walt and Mickey mouse and said " Memories that Last a Lifetime."

This is just one of the MANY reasons why we homeschool!! :cool1:
I refuse to let *anyone* tell me what I can and can't do with my own kids.

The school district can't tell me what to do with DS - they can just fine me $500 for disobeying them! ;)

Wish I had the time/knowledge/patience to homeschool! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter