• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to go for the $300 Chase checking bank bonus. For those of you that do not have a real DD like me, supposedly T-Mobile Money works. I have T-Mobile so I'm setting up a T-Mobile Money account now and am going to use that for the DD requirement. I'll report back if it works if anyone is interested.

I think you just described me, but I do like bacon as long as it's cooked well and not fatty. I can not stand anything fatty or slimy lol My husband does the majority of the cooking because, uh, no, I don't like dealing with raw meat lol I have a small list of veggies I'll tolerate, but I do try. Smoothies were big with me for awhile because I could cover the veggie taste lol I would live on In-n-Out burgers (#2 no onions, no spread protein style with a packet of spread on the side and even then half the time I pull the tomatoes off halfway through) and tacos from almost anywhere if I could.

I often have days I just don't eat because nothing sounds good.

I'll force myself to eat something I get hangry so I can't not eat though I'll for sure wait longer than I should. This is also why I always have cheerios for breakfast, though I do enjoy them, and if I'm taking lunch for work it's always pb&j on wheat with cinnamon applesauce and either doritos or fritos unless I have leftovers. I'm good eating it everyday and it takes the thinking out of it which is what I need.

I could eat beef or chicken tacos all the time or quesadillas but only meat and cheese, maybe salsa but not if it's chunky. I've finally found a non chunky salsa I like but I've used the stick blender to make them less chunky before.

Disclaimer - I may not get either card I am asking about - LOL - but....

I have my eyes on the IHG 120,000 SUB and Chase Freedom Unlimited (3x for first year). If I want both, which should I get first? How long should I wait between applications? Or should I have DH get one and me get the other and get them at the same time?

I am at 3/24:
Samsung Financing 8/17
Chase SW (now closed) 9/17
Discover IT 1/18

DH at 2/24:
CSP 7/18 (will close at one year)
United Mileage Plus 8/18 (will downgrade at one year)

Unless you have a goal in mind for the IHG card I might go for the Freedom Unlimited. One advantage that I really like about the IHG is that you have to pay the AF but get the annual night. Another advantage is that it is a MasterCard (pretty much only Chase card that is a MasterCard) so you can use it with Plastiq and your mortgage if you wanted. Unless the 3% of the FU is really valuable to you right now I might get IHG first since that offer is elevated. Wait 2 months and get other. Or if you only want two new cards and can meet the spend then each get one. You guys are in good shape count wise. :)

How long have people been spacing the 2nd CIP app with an SSN from their first CIP?

I planned on going for a CIC next month because I want the 5x office supply stores and internet/phone service, but 105,000 UR > 53,000. I already lowered my CIP's CL to $5,000. I did not want to go too much lower in the event I could move some credit to a new business card app if it came to that for approval. My personal CLs are already low and around 15% of my household income. Is it too risky to do a CIC in May and the 2nd CIP in August/September?

I was auto-approved for my 2nd CIP with SSN yesterday. My first was in mid-January with a $9000 CL which I lowered to $3000 before I applied for the 2nd, which also comes with a $9000 CL.

I had recently closed my CSP and lowered the limits on my CF and Marriott cards to $5000 and $8000.

Saw this article making its way around the blogosphere and eventually to Reddit today: United Airlines Plays Hardball With Expedia and JPMorgan Chase - skift.

On the credit card side, executives have been negotiating with JPMorgan Chase on a new contract, asking for terms as generous as Delta Air Lines received earlier this month from American Express. The United relationship is important to Chase, and eventually, the airline likely will get its own rich deal.
[Joseph] DeNardi [an analyst with Stifel] said he expects United will engage in a request for proposals process, if only to put pressure on Chase. United, he said, could solicit proposals from Wells Fargo or Bank of America.

Expedia is another matter.

In February, United said it has been unable to reach a new agreement with the online travel agency, and on Wednesday executives confirmed they plan to pull their flights from the group’s consumer sites by Sept. 30.
“The big question is whether United intends to walk away from Expedia following the contract expiration, or whether it is simply playing hardball in search of better terms[.]”

So, uh... on the credit card side, United is fishing for a better deal, if not from Chase then WF or BofA; and possibly even splitting the portfolio like AA does with Citi and Barclays.

But pulling United fares off Expedia?! Now that the Chase travel portal runs on Expedia? Chase UR is taking some major hits lately with the loss of Disney redemptions, Hyatt and Marriott category changes, the loss of Korean Air as a transfer partner, devaluation of United as a transfer partner due to the end of award charts, and now possibly the removal of United flights from redemption through the portal altogether. :sad2:

I will be seriously irritated if United flights are not bookable via the Chase travel portal. I've actually booked multiple United trips on the Chase portal in just the last couple of weeks. I'll even admit that I cancelled a United flight booked on miles and paid the $75 redeposit fee because I discovered I could book the same United flight via the Chase portal for 16k points less (and I should be getting a refund of the $5.60 fee I paid to book the flight with United, plus I earned 3x UR on the $75 charge since I used my CSR -- obviously would have been better if I'd booked thru the Chase portal initially, but live and learn...) With both of these trips (rountrip BOI to MCO for 2020 runDisney Marathon weekend and one-way return from OGG to BOI), it took significantly less UR to book than it would have taken United miles.

I always need nice bathrooms, too. My dad always joked with me as a kid/teen that I should create a website called Haley’s List that is about bathrooms lol. I would go into bathrooms and rate on my website how they were

I have a friend that stops at hotels to use their bathrooms instead of fast food places, since they are usually nicer. We usually just stop at fast food places.

I don't do a lot of bank bonuses. I just signed up for US Bank one that I received a mailer on. Need to do 2 DD of $2000 or more total for $300. I did 2 payments from my Cap One accounts of over $1000 each . They show us as Electronic Transfer. Do you think this will count for the DD and I will get the bonus on this?

I will be seriously irritated if United flights are not bookable via the Chase travel portal. I've actually booked multiple United trips on the Chase portal in just the last couple of weeks. I'll even admit that I cancelled a United flight booked on miles and paid the $75 redeposit fee because I discovered I could book the same United flight via the Chase portal for 16k points less (and I should be getting a refund of the $5.60 fee I paid to book the flight with United, plus I earned 3x UR on the $75 charge since I used my CSR -- obviously would have been better if I'd booked thru the Chase portal initially, but live and learn...) With both of these trips (rountrip BOI to MCO for 2020 runDisney Marathon weekend and one-way return from OGG to BOI), it took significantly less UR to book than it would have taken United miles.

Totally agree! UR points and UA miles being "equal" (in that the transfer is 1:1), I always check how many miles an award ticket is on United, then check how many points I need to book the same flight as a cash fare on the CSR's UR portal. And a lot of times, the UR portal wins out, and as a revenue flight you earn miles (PQM and PQD if working towards status) too. This would really piss me off.

I've decided to go for the $300 Chase checking bank bonus. For those of you that do not have a real DD like me, supposedly T-Mobile Money works. I have T-Mobile so I'm setting up a T-Mobile Money account now and am going to use that for the DD requirement. I'll report back if it works if anyone is interested.

Please do report back. I've been considering a Chase bank bonus for P2 and I was just looking at T-Mobile Money this morning.

I have big credit card news! And I need help!

I just put the deposit down on a guaranteed week at Riviera. I can’t help it...I love it and after visiting it this last trip I hate OKW (my other direct contract). So my plan is to sell OKW after my trip next month. Considering I have managed to take 4 trips with the points (including the BLT one bedroom for 6 nights) I figure I am coming out ahead if anything. It might make more sense to keep it but at this point I would rather get the money from it. :)

We don’t have the cash right now to pay off cards immediately. So plan is to put the contract on a couple different cards. I just put down payment on my Amex BBP. I am going to put a couple thousand on other cards as well and then the balance on the BBP. Disney is giving me some time; I just need to pay the total $22,000 by June 15.

I want to get cards that are 0% for at least 6 months. I prefer business. I will meet spend of remaining $2k on my Ink cash, and then plan to get the CIU. I am out of slots for possible Amex credit cards and I am 4/24 and don’t want to change that so my plan is to have DH get a couple new cards since he is only 2/24.

Questions:

I was approved for the Cash on 3/15. Do I need to wait until say June 1 for the CIU? I don’t want to wait too long but I don’t want to get into shut down territory.

With Chase DH was finally approved for the Hyatt February 1. I applied weeks before that but because of the security issues we have he wasn’t approved until then. He was approved for Ink on April 11; again after pending a couple weeks. I don’t really want to wait until June 1 because I want enough time for approval for him to get the personal Freedom Unlimited but I also don’t want to be moving too fast. I want the personal FU since it is now the 3% and 15 months 0%.

I have thought about getting DH the Delta Gold Biz since I have the elevated referral offer saved. It has 0% for 6 months. My worry with it though is getting back on the Amex naughty list.

I have also thought about getting him the Discover. It is also 0% for 14 months and cash back first year. Not sure when to get it though.

Any other cards I am missing that are decent sign up bonuses and 0% for at least 6 months?

Unless you have a goal in mind for the IHG card I might go for the Freedom Unlimited. One advantage that I really like about the IHG is that you have to pay the AF but get the annual night. Another advantage is that it is a MasterCard (pretty much only Chase card that is a MasterCard) so you can use it with Plastiq and your mortgage if you wanted. Unless the 3% of the FU is really valuable to you right now I might get IHG first since that offer is elevated. Wait 2 months and get other. Or if you only want two new cards and can meet the spend then each get one. You guys are in good shape count wise. :)

I have no specific goal for IHG, but we do like Holiday Inn Express when we travel. There is no mortgage so I am not concerned with plastique. I have wanted the CFU for a while now - I feel it is a good alternate card to use when not earning 5X categories. If I get these cards I may get the IHG myself (already have an account with points from surveys) and have DH get the CFU

Totally agree! UR points and UA miles being "equal" (in that the transfer is 1:1), I always check how many miles an award ticket is on United, then check how many points I need to book the same flight as a cash fare on the CSR's UR portal. And a lot of times, the UR portal wins out, and as a revenue flight you earn miles (PQM and PQD if working towards status) too. This would really piss me off.

I usually do that comparison too, so I was not very happy with myself when I realized I hadn't done it for my Maui return flight. Rather than stew about it, I just decided to cut myself some slack and do the $75- do over (even less now that you reminded me that I will earn United miles on that flight!). It was only a few days after my Mom died when I was helping my Dad move their Maui trip from August to October so I could join for a week, so I'm giving myself a pass on the travel hacking blunder.

I'm losing my mind! New YNAB is a total disaster for me. I've been trying really hard since Jan 1 and it just doesn't work for me. Right now, for example, my SW Premier balance is -10.00...as in a positive balance. That is reconciled in my accounts column. But in the budget it shows a red
-$10 and says I need to budget another $10 to this account. What the what? Another example...disney visa used by DD19 has a reconciled amount of $72.23 balance. Again, correct in the accounts column, but in the budget says red -$337.09!!! Um no, I don't need to budget an extra $264.86 Mr YNAB because I only owe $72.23 as you are aware from my reconciled account!

I need new software recomendations. Auto import is important, and why I'm not just going back to old ynab.

Haha depending on who you ask, Wawa is the greatest gas station ever created. Do you have Sheetz out there? It's very similar to that. Although if there are any Wawa diehards in here, they may attack me for saying that.

Anyways, it's a gas station, but it also has made to order food and drinks and stuff like that. It's a lot nicer than most just random gas stations.
I think it's actually a convenience store like 7-11 since not all Wawa's have gas, at least in MD. I think they are know for their fried chicken, although I have never had it. We don't have a Wawa near my house but close to work and while it is near the police station, it is still not in a great area.

I don't do a lot of bank bonuses. I just signed up for US Bank one that I received a mailer on. Need to do 2 DD of $2000 or more total for $300. I did 2 payments from my Cap One accounts of over $1000 each . They show us as Electronic Transfer. Do you think this will count for the DD and I will get the bonus on this?
According to Doc's list, Capital One should work for US Bank: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/#US_Bank

I’m still trying to get a handle on this churning business. I occasionally see people talking about booking a dummy reservation to earn points - what is that?
Also, please explain the statement credit for the Citi AA card. Do I need to buy an American Airlines gc to trigger the statement credit?
Lastly, my DS is turning 18 this week and has no credit history. What would be a good card for him to start with? He would love to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter