I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know- I technically HAVE a Hilton Honors account that I've never used for anything. Assuming that I book any future Hilton hotel stays (looking at you, Hilton Tokyo Bay) strictly on points, is there any benefit to being an Honors member? (I had gotten it before our trip last year but because my parents made all the reservations I ended up never using it).

What kind of points?

If you book using UR points on the Chase travel portal, that's an online travel agent and usually booking via OTAs don't get you the hotel loyalty program's perks. It's somewhat YMMV with Hilton whether the hotel will recognize your program status and award you points for the stay. So in that case, your Hilton account may not give you any benefit.

There's no harm in already having a Hilton Honors account. You should log in to check if you have any points in there from your last trip. It sounds as if you don't stay at Hilton hotels and haven't used your Hilton Honors account much. It's likely you're just a blue level member, which still gets you some basic perks when you book directly with Hilton. You can find the benefits of HH's various member levels here: https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/explore/benefits/index.html

When you get further into this hobby and start signing up for hotel credit cards like the Amex Hilton cards for signup bonuses in Hilton Honors points, two of Amex's four Hilton cards get you complimentary Gold status; and one of the four gets you the highest level Diamond status. (Note that the Amex Platinum also includes complimentary Hilton Gold status.) Those higher elite statuses will get you more meaningful benefits like your 5th night free when booking with points, free breakfast, and room upgrades.

Last edited:
Smart.
Our APs expire next spring. We’ll get two more trips before then and won’t be renewing.
Smart! We got 5 trips out of our APs. Next year we’re doing DL. We will see what happens after that. Too many places to see to spend so much money at WDW. We’re in Canada now and with the USD worth $1.34 CAD, it’s such a bargain to travel here.

Gave up on seeing my $200 credit for the original SW gift card purchase.

Did a new $100 purchase today in line with the DoC report....wish me luck.

This won't piss AMEX off just buying SW gift cards right? I know I will eventually make use of them so not too concerned about now having a stockpile of them.

So, I sent an SM to Chase to have my dh's CF and CSR removed from my credit report, since I removed myself as AU on both cards. I got this back, which sounds like they don't understand my request.

"
Thank you for contacting us about your credit card account
ending in xxxx. It's important to us that your account
information is accurate on your credit report.

We're reviewing your concerns about how your account is
being reported to the consumer reporting agencies. We'll
mail you a letter with our findings within 30 days of the
date we received your email.

If you have questions, or need immediate assistance with
your account, please call us anytime at 1-800-436-7937; we
accept operator relay calls. "
Just do a dispute through the CRAs..I did that a couple years ago. It was fixed within 2 weeks.

ETA: Lain beat me to it.

So DISchurner friends... I'm working on finalizing our Universal trip plans. We might spend our last night at the MCO Hyatt and take an early flight home.

I know I could do some googling on this but would prefer some real life examples here. Transferring URs to Hyatt - how quick is that? Does it happen instantly? I see that I could book a night in the MCO Hyatt for 12k Hyatt points (which is substantially less than using URs, even with a CSR).

Using Hyatt for a room - anything strange I should be aware of? I would assume that it is the same as using Marriott, Hilton, or IHG points (all of which I have experience with)...just book your room and you're good to go?

Thanks for any insight!

Backreading so I am sure this has all been answered but in case....transfer is basically immediate. Nothing weird to be able to book the room. If the points option is there and available easy as clicking book.

I'm watching UAL business saver fares for my August Japan trip, EWR to NRT , just to see if there is a pattern in when they are released. I'm finding no pattern, but 10 months out seems to be the sweet spot, several business saver fares offered mid April. Absolutely nothing is showing for the month of May, which is the earliest you can book a flight and 11 months out.

4 months and prior nothing at all to be found.

Just booked Swan for Princess race weekend next year.. apparently we are gluttons for punishment. We both missed registration opening earlier this month, but the two course challenge is still available.

Question for anyone that may have experience - I had enough points to book 2 of the 3 nights at Swan, and I did the hold room thingy for the 3rd night. I anticipate receiving the 50k free night from the Ritz card in about a month. Is there any issue with switching that 3rd night with the free night cert?

Just booked Swan for Princess race weekend next year.. apparently we are gluttons for punishment. We both missed registration opening earlier this month, but the two course challenge is still available.

Question for anyone that may have experience - I had enough points to book 2 of the 3 nights at Swan, and I did the hold room thingy for the 3rd night. I anticipate receiving the 50k free night from the Ritz card in about a month. Is there any issue with switching that 3rd night with the free night cert?

Whenever I use my points or certificates I have had to book separate reservations. I could be doing something wrong but it doesn't seem to offer cash + points like Hilton does.

Sorry, not what you asked! I think you can switch the third night to use the certificate you just have to call.

How do you like the Hyatt Regency? Just booked three nights there for next July.

It is a great hotel located in the financial district. If you are there mid week it will be super busy outside and if you are there over the weekend the area will be really quiet. If you are flying in you can take BART to basically the door step and it is super convenient. You can also take the cable cars to union square and the street cars to Pier 39 from right outside the hotel. I am a little biased though since I worked at this property for about 4 years about 10 years ago. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

I'm watching UAL business saver fares for my August Japan trip, EWR to NRT , just to see if there is a pattern in when they are released. I'm finding no pattern, but 10 months out seems to be the sweet spot, several business saver fares offered mid April. Absolutely nothing is showing for the month of May, which is the earliest you can book a flight and 11 months out.

4 months and prior nothing at all to be found.

I've found that United releases their schedules 337 days out, at about 12 am ET. Whether they release saver award availability at the same time is another matter.

You may want to look into signing up for ExpertFlyer to set up alerts for award availability. It does take some learning to know how to properly set up search perimeters, but it could be worthwhile.

I'm looking at purchasing the GoOahu card from Costco. I've done the pricing and it will save us money. The pass is currently $205, just the Ka Moana Luau and an afternoon Makani Catamaran sail totals more than that. Has anyone used it or one from another city?

This will knock out a chunk of my CIP2 spend.

We purchased those, but through Groupon with a sale code and Groupon gift cards. The passes ended up being really cheap and an awesome deal for us. The attractions may have changed since then, but definitely a good deal and they worked well a few years ago when we used them!!!

You shouldn't have an issue. Since it's on a points advance I think you can do it online now when the cert shows up. Since there's no cert attached to it, when you go into the reservation it should give you the option to apply your free night cert (or if you have enough points, order a points cert). They had a bit of a glitch a couple months back where the system automatically applied a free night cert to a booking already paid with points when it was issued (points refunded, cert applied), but in your case that shouldn't be much of a hassle since the nights you booked are 50k anyway. Sucked for people who paid 20k for a night and had a 35k cert applied to it. But I'm hoping that's worked out by now.

It is a great hotel located in the financial district. If you are there mid week it will be super busy outside and if you are there over the weekend the area will be really quiet. If you are flying in you can take BART to basically the door step and it is super convenient. You can also take the cable cars to union square and the street cars to Pier 39 from right outside the hotel. I am a little biased though since I worked at this property for about 4 years about 10 years ago. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
How do we get there from SFO?

How do we get there from SFO?

Follow the signs at SFO to BART. Take BART from the SFO BART Station to Embarcadero Station in the city. It's about a 30 minute ride and costs just under $10/rider. The Hyatt Regency Embarcadero is right there as you come up the escalators at Embarcadero Station. Check: https://www.bart.gov/planner

Uber and Lyft are an option, but SFO recently changed where ride shares can pick up: https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/how-to-use-SFO-rideshare-zone-13950061.php

And it's been a mess:
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Sunday-night-SFO-14014429.php

Last edited:
How do you like the Hyatt Regency? Just booked three nights there for next July.

Here are some previous related posts about the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero and San Francisco:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60365755
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60367402
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60380225
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/post-58942579 (I'll add to this list that since you're staying so close to the Ferry Building, if the weather is nice, you could try to fit in a short ferry trip over to Sausalito. That'll take you across the Bay with amazing views of the city, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz if you don't want to actually visit it. Tickets on the commuter ferries are a lot cheaper than tours.)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60370911
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/post-58943457

Smart.

Smart! We got 5 trips out of our APs. Next year we’re doing DL. We will see what happens after that. Too many places to see to spend so much money at WDW. We’re in Canada now and with the USD worth $1.34 CAD, it’s such a bargain to travel here.

My plan was to get an AP in September or October 2020 and then to use for the next year, getting two Food and Wine trips, etc. We won't be doing that now. The pass rate will likely hike 2 more times before then!

I was also going to buy more DVC points. I am a second class white card holder so no discount on APs for me. I will not pay direct pricing and now I don't see myself getting more points anytime soon.

Quite frankly I think my Disney strategy has shifted a lot over the past 24 hours.

At this rate, my plan is to use/switch to a card where I can get my Disney tickets for "free."

Use the DVC points I have to stay during food and wine and call it a day. 1 trip a year, not 4. That's more than most families ever get anyway.

So now I've been mulling a CapOne card - to use to pay for tickets.

Stockpile discounted Disney giftcards for DVC dues and onsite expenses. Use Hilton points to tack on an extra couple of nights in Orlando is necessary.
Rinse, repeat.
I have to weigh heavily the CapOne since DH and I are so close to being under 5/24, but I swear - getting Disney tickets "erased" is as big a bang as anything Chase offers. At least for me and my vacation strategy going forward.

I'll be using MRs for cruises and flights as usual.

My plan was to get an AP in September or October 2020 and then to use for the next year, getting two Food and Wine trips, etc. We won't be doing that now. The pass rate will likely hike 2 more times before then!

I was also going to buy more DVC points. I am a second class white card holder so no discount on APs for me. I will not pay direct pricing and now I don't see myself getting more points anytime soon.

Quite frankly I think my Disney strategy has shifted a lot over the past 24 hours.

At this rate, my plan is to use/switch to a card where I can get my Disney tickets for "free."

Use the DVC points I have to stay during food and wine and call it a day. 1 trip a year, not 4. That's more than most families ever get anyway.

Stockpile discounted Disney giftcards for DVC dues and onsite expenses. Use Hilton points to tack on an extra couple of nights in Orlando is necessary.
Rinse, repeat.
I have to weigh heavily the CapOne since DH and I are so close to being under 5/24, but I swear - getting Disney tickets "erased" is as big a bang as anything Chase offers. At least for me and my vacation strategy going forward.

I clearly have a lot more to read up on. I can’t believe how many years I simply used the same SW chase card to earn miles and never churned it until last month. I guess I was under the false impression that opening and closing CC was harder than I thought or not good for my credit.
That CapOne seems like an interesting one for sure.
I understand your frustration with Disney right now,

:offtopic: DVC has my BP on the rise these last couple days. Booked at a week after 11m mark for Poly for marathon weekend in January so my wife could run. I couldn't get Thurs-Sat night, but everything was available on either side of those dates. I threw a waitlist in and hoped it would be filled but it still isn't. We are now a bit after the 7m mark where I thought people would switch resorts but things are still full everywhere else and needed to make a decision. I don't want to be moving rooms both before the race day and the day of so that she can rest if need be. Only real option right now is SSR that has availability and room change the day before I need it. Just don't like the multiple bus stops. Glad to have something in stone. Made 2 other waitlists if something comes up, but feeling good that we won't be "homeless" around the race. Rant over!

Rinse, repeat.

I’m considering CapOne for the same reason. I’d hoped to get DD and me AP’s and make several trips over the next year with our new CP. Now I’m thinking maybe one DL trip (never been!) and then maybe a couple beach trips over the winter. Also planning DL Paris next early summer. I’ll get us 3 or 4 day hoppers for our long weekend at the World in November and that’s it for this year. Of course my plans are always subject to change! But that’s what I’m thinking right now! :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter