I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got approved for CIP#2! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

What do you al do with CIP#1? My AF just hit and the 20k URs posted (and moved to CSR already). Close? Downgrade?

1/17 - CSR
7/17 - Disney Visa
3/18 - IHG
7/18 - CIP#1
11/18 - Amex Plat
8/19 - CIP#2
I chose to change it to a CIC. No AF and gets 5x UR at office supply stores and phone/internet, 2x at gas stations. I think the phone insurance is not as good if that is important to you.
My CIP #2 , I will probably cancel at 1 year.

@PolyRob what is the “break even” for Tables in Wonderland? Can I get it when we upgrade to APs?

Someone also posted a way to get Deluxe Dining package and do some more expensive meals but just doing adult in child for the first part of a split stay. Was it @kmc8826? How do we do fast pass reservations if DH and DS aren’t listed in the room?

I come seeking your advice! And I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I am in awe of your miles mastery!! :worship:

Recently issued card and the only card we are routinely using:

01/19 - AMEX Delta Skymiles
Other Cards open / willing to replace:
04/06 - AMEX BlueSky
05/17 - VISA Slate
Our credit scores are in the upper 7s / low 8s. We have had some credit issues early in our marriage so we kept the older AMEX card open for credit longevity. I don’t think this is necessary anymore. We have completed all our credit transactions for our primary residence and our DVC was paid in full (except for downpayment on CC - paid off), not financed.

• We are probably looking at putting $2K - $3K per month on routine purchases. We shop primarily at COSTCO for household goods and gas.
  • We will occasionally carry a balance, but we have the means to pay off monthly.
  • We are flying out of PHX. My business travel takes me to the upper mid-west quarterly, thus the DELTA card. DH used to do a LOT of business travel on Southwest, but no more. His travel is sporadic, and if regional would be on Southwest
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? Yes, me: Delta Skymiles. Both of us: Southwest. DH has United also.
  • Does SOUTHWEST service your airport? Yes.
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? No.
  • Do you currently have any travel points in any program?
Delta Skymiles: 87,838
Southwest: Nominal. We used pts to fly to MCO in July 2019

• We are closing on our DVC resale membership and looking to maximize our CC usage for flights:

• First trip: Aulani /HNL in Sept 2020. We will be traveling from PHX with a party of 8 (5 adults, 3 kids).
    • The direct flight is on Hawaiaan air is prefferrable. However, we could fly Delta and Southwest is also an option. We will be paying for all 8 flights. A card that is non-airline specific would also work. I am not sure how to maximize this trip to build points for our future trips to WDW.
    • Our next trip would be from PHX to MCO in March 2021. Our usual part of travel is 2 adults and 3 kids. We will most frequently be traveling from PHX to MCO. Southwest goes direct. I am hoping that with our 8 flights to Hawaii that we would have enough miles to off-set this trip.
    • Our long term plan is WDW every 18 months - 2 years for a week long trip.
I welcome your expertise!! THANK YOU!! (and I have no idea why I cannot unbold this post! forgive me!)
If you’re interested in playing this game long term I would consider joining DISchurners. This is where many of our tips are kept in an accessible format. (It is a private group composed solely of DISboards members from this thread). It also has a news thread that can help in keeping up with this thread that generates 10+ pages daily of chatter and fun mixed in with churning talk.

It also would allow you to support a fellow DISer when signing up for a card which is a great way to give back to our awesome little community.

Thanks! I’ll give them a try! They have gone two rounds with some sort of stain spray/gel and they are much lighter but I still know they are there.

Dawn dish soap is going to get a ton of things out, especially grease based stuff. There's very little, mustard maybe, things I can think of that my mom hasn't been able to get out with dawn. She always started with it, don't often use the shout spray though it will work for some stuff. In jr high I spilled a plate of spaghetti in my lap on new shorts that were white with thin blue stripes the first time I wore them. Mom used dawn and you couldn't even tell I'd spilled.

I've also been able to get color bleed out with dawn and I think vinegar. Found that from google, which will be your friend. There's a lot of good tips from better homes garden and good housekeeping online.

I got approved for CIP#2! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

What do you al do with CIP#1? My AF just hit and the 20k URs posted (and moved to CSR already). Close? Downgrade?

1/17 - CSR
7/17 - Disney Visa
3/18 - IHG
7/18 - CIP#1
11/18 - Amex Plat
8/19 - CIP#2
I’d say this depends on your future strategy. You could downgrade to CIU or CIC. If it has a high CL though you might want to reduce that to allow for future biz card approvals. You can always close it later so I’d downgrade initially until you’re sure what the right answer is. You can’t reopen it later lol.

Came home from Friday night high school football game to approval on CIP3! That makes 5 Chase business cards, 3 CIP open. It was a good week for me. I am loving giftcardmall for $500 VGC. Knocked out DH CSP MSR and finished last $1000 for DH Citi AA Biz. SUB posted for my first AA miles and DH Hilton. Happy that my Staples still doesn't care how many VGC you buy. I think my plan going forward is to use giftcardmall for non AmEx MSR and AmEx for organic spend. Should allow me to get another card. I'll wait until I have these VGC loaded to Serve and then just have to decide if I want to take the chance on another AA.
Do you just buy the $500 VGC and have it mailed to you, then go to FD/DG and load it to Serve?

@PolyRob what is the “break even” for Tables in Wonderland? Can I get it when we upgrade to APs?

Someone also posted a way to get Deluxe Dining package and do some more expensive meals but just doing adult in child for the first part of a split stay. Was it @kmc8826? How do we do fast pass reservations if DH and DS aren’t listed in the room?

For TIW, it depends because you do get some discounts by having the AP. But disregarding any AP discounts you would get, it's $750 to break even. We always get it because it includes alcohol and AP discounts do not.

For the DxDP trick, I think you need multiple rooms to make it work. Put 1 adult and kids in the room with the plan, and all others in the other room. Since credits are pooled, you can pay kids prices and use the credits for anyone including adults. I wouldn't leave any family members off the reservation if you're all in one room though. Unless someone else has a different experience I'd love to hear how you do it!

Many thanks to everyone for indulging me on the stain removal and providing suggestions! I am not sure what actually worked since I put Dawn, baking soda and vinegar, hot water, a scoop of Oxiclean and a Tide stain booster in the washer and they are now sparkly white again! So no MSR for new uniform polos. I have now diverted my attention to PB Harry Potter bedding to help with the MSR :) It’s burgundy damask and looks grown up and not kiddy.

Last edited:
I was able to snag one night at the Grand Californian at the 7 month window!! As soon as my phone rolled to 8 am, I hit the button and I was able to reserve it. Once I completed the process, I went back in and the rooms were already showing sold out. They go super fast! Since I have told our youngest DD that we aren't going to DL, I think we will keep this as a surprise. Of course, our oldest DD doesn't have the same Spring Break and isn't going with us, so she will not be happy when she finds out!

With all the car seat trade in events going on or coming up, I am thinking about trading in an old infant seat to get a travel carseat for DD3. Does anyone have any recommendations for carseats that are easy to transport through airports, then gate check? I'm looking for something inexpensive, lightweight, and not too wide (so it will easily fit in our car seat backpack). Ideally, it would convert from a forward facing carseat to a highback booster. It doesn't need to rear face.

I had my eye on the Cosco Finale, but it says the minimum weight is 30 lbs. DD3 is tiny and just hit 26 lbs. Does anyone have any ideas?

Another Free Night certificate update - I upgraded from the $85 Marriott card to the $95 Marriott card (I'm sorry I am Bonvoy card name illiterate). I got 2 free nights for a single purchase upgrade. It took exactly 1 week for the nights to post after purchase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter