I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok in all seriousness... can I do a what card should I get post here or do I need to just need to figure out how Reddit works? I’m getting 1% over here with my CF and it makes me sad.

I feel like I’m gonna have to camp out on the website! I’m really so bummed about my current choices and since we need 8 seats, I really don’t want to spend these prices eating food weren’t not even excited about.
I would book whatever works "best" with what is out there and just stalk availability. I bet around 60-70 days out you will find a bunch of new ADRs. FP+ time is when people start finalizing plans and calendars are updated a little bit more so I expect cancellations.

I know it may not be glamorous, but A&C breakfast will be the most affordable and it comes with the "buffet" so you order an entree and have the extra add-ons of a buffet included in the cost. It isn't my favorite breakfast, but not the worst I have attended either.

I believe the DVC number was only necessary because DVC and AP got early access to the ADRs before the general public.

Last edited:

I took my AU CIC to OD to purchase dgc to meet the SUB and finish off the cruise payment. And...the max gc purchase they would allow was $200?!? I was shocked, stunned, annoyed, fill in the blank. I did do a survey but now have to decide whether I should just meet the SUB with the card and only earn 1X points or drive to Alabama and run a similar risk with Staples. Ugh.

Dh and I are debating going to the Halloween party tomorrow night. We went to two last year so we wouldn’t have a ton of must dos. The main things would be trick or treating, special snacks, the new fireworks show, and Winnie the Pooh m&g. There aren’t any good wdw hotel deals so we may just use URs for a DS hotel.

For lunch tomorrow I’m thinking we could use those dining gcs we got for Epcot from the pass holder deal. We’re thinking either garden grill or le cellier.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like fun and a good way to use up the GC. Will you guys be driving to TTC for MNSSHP from the DS resort? My only concern staying there would be getting back from the party if you did not take your own car.

I took my AU CIC to OD to purchase dgc to meet the SUB and finish off the cruise payment. And...the max gc purchase they would allow was $200?!? I was shocked, stunned, annoyed, fill in the blank. I did do a survey but now have to decide whether I should just meet the SUB with the card and only earn 1X points or drive to Alabama and run a similar risk with Staples. Ugh.
$200?! That is absurdly low!

$200?! That is absurdly low!

I thought so too, since the variable load on the from says up to $500 AND they sell up to $500 online. I'm tempted to drive to the other two just to see if it's a manager/surly associate thing. It was fun writing a negative survey that said "if you want to go out of business this is an excellent way to do so."

@Lain - I'd like to lodge a complaint... This is the 2nd time that we've had an extensive debate on Pop Tarts on the thread and you've failed to include it on the DISchurners news thread.
tumblr_onpzulHQgN1tv83zuo1_500.gif

In other news...apparently Pop Tarts has now taken over our thread twice in a 3 week span. We might have a problem folks...

Don't worry...I added it to the news thread myself!

Well, I think the Hilton Aspire may not work out for me after all. Keeping in mind that the ONLY reason I would get such a card is for my Japan stay in November 2020:

• The 5th night free is only on a 4 night stay booked completely with points, and even at the "low" of 66K points per night that I saw last week (looking at this coming November for a general idea), that would be 264K points. Even if, between me and P2, we managed to acquire 2 cards and get their SUBs (probably one at 150K and another at 125K), there is no way we can continue to meet a healthy spend on 2 Amex cards while still trying to meet MSRs for other needed things. So I don't see us being able to even book the first 4 nights on points in order to take advantage of the 5th night free while we are still working on Chase URs to take care of the other hotels (the flights should be taken care of in the next month).
  • And, just for kicks, I tried to go to November 2020, which is, of course, not available yet (to try to see about points). Since it will only accept up to one year out, I changed to search to something like September 15-18, 2020. It says they are SOLD OUT for those dates. I kept going "one week earlier" and finally found availability... in August 2020. I am very concerned about this lack of availability in September, which is after the Olympics are over.
Can any Amex and/or Hilton experts share any thoughts on this? It's perfectly OK for the advice to be "stick with Chase and book at this hotel with URs like you originally planned." It certainly is not going to kill me to not be a Diamond member and get the perks. But now I am worried about there being any rooms at all, whether with cash, URs, or HH points.

Oh and ETA: The Diamond benefits are only for the primary cardholder, so I guess my husband couldn't have breakfast with me or go into the lounge with me... so that doesn't help either!

There. I think I just talked myself out of it for good!

I haven't even had my Aspire a year and I know it's a keeper for me. Between the SUBs for the Aspire and the biz I acquired 275,000 points. I was able to transfer over the points dh had in his account to mine (wasn't that many but I can't remember the exact amount). He put all of his Cdn staff up at the Embassy Suites in Boca for a weekend in December for the past 2 years for his annual holiday party and I got the hotel to allot me all those points. Then I was able to purchase points at a 100% bonus for the remaining nights for my 6 nights at the WA Maldives (that was a sweet deal when Hilton was offering it). You can also use the $250.00 credit to purchase your park tickets (I believe @calypso726 accomplished this I think?). I was able to offset the cost of our boat transfer for the Maldives with the $250.00 credit (will use the credit again next year at the WA Maldives), so you can definitely get creative with it. What I am trying to say is, don't shy away from the card because IMO it has some of the best benefits available on a card (I think it blows the bonblah out of the water).

I bought a scale to use and lost it before our first trip. May have to get this one. I am an overpacker and both my kids are too. (I taught them well). At least going somewhere I know what something weighs but coming home is a different story. Last trip to Disney we get to the airport and the one bag was 49.7 lbs. Boy were we lucky...

My bag was oversized last time. Came in at 51.2 lbs. But we got lucky cause the girl at the scale just went "whatever I don't care" and threw it on the belt. No extra charge or anything thank goodness!

Sounds like fun and a good way to use up the GC. Will you guys be driving to TTC for MNSSHP from the DS resort? My only concern staying there would be getting back from the party if you did not take your own car.
Yeah we would drive our own car. There really isn’t anything cheap for wdw resorts. When Dh gets home we’re gonna run to Lowe’s to use our Amex offers on Disney gcs and then look at our hotel options on the chase portal

@wendow and any other TAs, what is a reasonable response time for a TA? I'm still waiting for a response to an email I sent August 2nd so I resubmitted it yesterday. I was thinking 3 working days? Ideally less but understanding that people have lives.

When I did travel the rule was you had to respond within 24 hours or 1 business day if it was the weekend. Unless you were on vacation or out for illness, family leave, etc. in which case you needed to put an auto reply on your email. Over a month is WAY too long.

ETA: Realized I didn't really answer the question. If you don't hear from them by Friday I would consider getting a new TA.

I would book whatever works "best" with what is out there and just stalk availability. I bet around 60-70 days out you will find a bunch of new ADRs. FP+ time is when people start finalizing plans and calendars are updated a little bit more so I expect cancellations.

I know it may not be glamorous, but A&C breakfast will be the most affordable and it comes with the "buffet" so you order an entree and have the extra add-ons of a buffet included in the cost. It isn't my favorite breakfast, but not the worst I have attended either.

I believe the DVC number was only necessary because DVC and AP got early access to the ADRs before the general public.
I did consider the A&C breakfast but I don't want the early show time. I guess when I call I can specify that. We've eaten there for lunch and liked it. The breakfast buffet looks ok. They have a couple of fish dishes and other seafood on the buffet and I wasn't sure how my stomach might handle any fishy smells that early.

@wendow and any other TAs, what is a reasonable response time for a TA? I'm still waiting for a response to an email I sent August 2nd so I resubmitted it yesterday. I was thinking 3 working days? Ideally less but understanding that people have lives.
For me it's ideally 3 hours when I'm dealing with a customer (I'm not a TA but deal with customers almost all day).

Ok in all seriousness... can I do a what card should I get post here or do I need to just need to figure out how Reddit works? I’m getting 1% over here with my CF and it makes me sad.

Ask away! Only complicated stuff will be on reddit.

When I did travel the rule was you had to respond within 24 hours or 1 business day if it was the weekend. Unless you were on vacation or out for illness, family leave, etc. in which case you needed to put an auto reply on your email. Over a month is WAY too long.

ETA: Realized I didn't really answer the question. If you don't hear from them by Friday I would consider getting a new TA.

In amy biz it should be within 24 hours even if it's just to say I'm working on it and I'll gwt back to you by x. If I hadn't heard since an email on aug 2 or sept 2 I'd have already given them a 2nd chance or moved on unless I had to use them.

Have you read my guide to the 2020/2021 Companion Pass on DISchurners?

It’s in the advanced strategies thread.

Yup, I've read that all! Specifically where it says "if you find yourself wanting to pursue the CP via a personal card, please ask for guidance before applying to make sure you have a good plan." I just get confused sometimes on timing between applications, when its only 30 days vs 90 days, etc.

No. Do NOT do this. You have 90 days after approval to meet the spend. You will need to meet it before Jan 1 if you are approved October 1. They used to give 115 days, but it seems they are sticking to 90 days now. I would not apply before October 15 to give yourself time in January to finish spend. Depending on when your accounts close, you may have a hard time getting CP before 3/14. Not impossible, but timing may be tricky. Hopefully if you hit spend right away on 2nd card you should have by end of February, but it does take time to get the cobranded cards mailed, I don't think they can be expedited.

OMG duh! AND that's exactly why I posted. I just cant do math today. For some reason I was thinking 10/1-1/31 was 90 days. In my defense I work in finance and we're into the last 11 days of closeout so my brain is fried.

OKAY.....SOOOO apply for SW BIZ on 10/15 and the rest should be good right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter