I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s my fault. I’ve been on vacation and just got back.
Look I did my best to keep up with that NEWS thread. But I'm TOTALLY not as thorough as you. It has to be pretty big news to hit my radar, LOL!!

I say this ALL the time...and I'm gonna say it again. I freakin' appreciate you dude! Almost NOBODY has a full appreciation for the time you put into making DISchurners work. We are blessed to have you around these parts!!

@Lain....
tenor.gif

A few quick questions for you now:
1) Did that upgrade come via snail mail, email, or did you see it in the app or somewhere else?
2) What is the upgrade offer? Are there bonus points and is it for a certain MSR or just make 1 purchase?
[/QUOTE]

*DH and I have both had our own SW Plus cards since 2013. Which received all of our spend. Until this thread entered my world 😉

*DH just had SUB post today for CSP (yay) 65k UR.

*So after DH SUB posted he coincidentally received an email today offering 5000RR bonus after 1 purchase if he upgrades his Plus to Priority. It states he would receive a letter in the mail after accepting the offer letting him know about the new AF etc., but no clear indication of when that AF would occur after taking the offer.

My plan was to cancel both our Plus cards next August when our AF hits so we can churn them in the future. I’ll take their 5000RR if I DON’T have to pay the AF before August. If I have to pay it now (or soon) I don’t think 5000RR is worth $149 on a card I don’t intend to keep.

Comments, questions, criticisms?....(as my 12 year old loves to say). Haha

A few quick questions for you now:
1) Did that upgrade come via snail mail, email, or did you see it in the app or somewhere else?
2) What is the upgrade offer? Are there bonus points and is it for a certain MSR or just make 1 purchase?

*DH and I have both had our own SW Plus cards since 2013. Which received all of our spend. Until this thread entered my world 😉

*DH just had SUB post today for CSP (yay) 65k UR.

*So after DH SUB posted he coincidentally received an email today offering 5000RR bonus after 1 purchase if he upgrades his Plus to Priority. It states he would receive a letter in the mail after accepting the offer letting him know about the new AF etc., but no clear indication of when that AF would occur after taking the offer.

My plan was to cancel both our Plus cards next August when our AF hits so we can churn them in the future. I’ll take their 5000RR if I DON’T have to pay the AF before August. If I have to pay it now (or soon) I don’t think 5000RR is worth $149 on a card I don’t intend to keep.

Comments, questions, criticisms?....(as my 12 year old loves to say). Haha
Well you'd get $50ish back and then pay $149 in 3-6 months. You get 5,000 URs worth about $75 plus all the other benefits of having that card... You'll get 7,500 points at your anniversary vs. 3,000 (so that's a 4,500 pts difference worth another $67ish).

Interesting question would be if your anniv. points would post in August or when the new AF posted. I'm thinking August...but could be wrong. Your card benefits would also reset on the upgrade anniv so you'd have a few months to use them a second time before the AF hits the 2nd time.

It's a lot to process, lol. I'm not sure I can even give you a clear answer... I think I'd probably do the upgrade if I were you, but that's a gut feeling with a little bit of math behind it...

Last edited:

Yesterday's "day off churning success"...
  • My wife’s BCE and my AU each had the 15% Lowes offers.
  • We also have $150 from 2 Amex Support clicks this year (No self support though, lol!) and a small amount of other random rewards.
  • So off to Lowe's to purchase 20 bags of pea gravel and 14 stepping stones plus other misc materials for < $25 OOP...
  • Add in some sweat labor and put in a small walkway beside my new piece of driveway alongside the garage.
  • When we got the driveway paved, we didn’t pave over this particular area because drainage pipe and rock ran under this area and we wanted to (a) allow for drainage and (b) guarantee nobody drove over the pipe.
  • BUT we ultimately figured out that the driveway was not wide enough to get out of the van without stepping in the dirt. Rather than plant grass, I put in this nice stepping stone sidewalk.
So yeah...Credit Card rewards bought me a sidewalk. I'm cool with that!!

It's not a movie I'd suggest for a lot of people here, but I don't know everyone's tastes plus there's lurkers 😁

If you are a view askew fan (which means you even know what that is) and you've at least seen jay & silent bob strike back, though if you've seen it I'm sure you've seen the other's, you'll enjoy the reboot. It was funny, a total kevin smith movie and the scene after the credits made the whole thing.

Also why do they insist on having movie theatre sound so loud, 40 min later and my ears are still ringing a little. I swear I need to start takong ear plugs like I do for some concerts.

So I was slightly concerned about the timing on some of my cards, because I didn't want to apply for a CIP later than 10/31, but I also had a previous Amex to hit MSR on before then.

I needn't have worried. The MSR on the Amex was 3000 and I'm already at 2500 after that DL trip. YIKES!

CIP on 10/31, here I come!

My DH got a promotion at work! He has been "part time" (really working about 35 hours a week, just shy of the requirement for them to put him on the insurance plan) for about four years at his job at our church. We have a lot of ties to our community which is why he hadn't thrown in the towel there yet. After some recent staff turnover he took on some more responsibility and they offered him a full benefits package today!

The part that makes this tangentially related to churning is that we will no longer be able to put his $500/month health insurance towards our MSRs...but that is OK by me! pixiedust:

FYI - Those of us with an Amex Rose Gold card, Check your emails. I received an email offer to enroll in pay over time and get 10k MRs.
Thanks for the heads up!

DoC keeps a running list of targeted links to enroll in Pay Over Time for 10k MR: [Targeted] 10,000 Membership Rewards Points For Enrolling In Pay Over Time.

I periodically encourage everyone with an Amex charge card (Platinum, Gold, or Green, or their business versions) to check these links when DoC updates the list. These links are often pulled from targeted emails like the one @calypso726 received, shared on r/churning and posted by the good doctor.

The thing is, these links may work for you even though you didn’t get a targeted email or mailer about it. This was true for several of my cards, and it’s the easiest 10k MR ever.

The only one of my Amex charge cards still waiting to be targeted for Pay Over Time for 10k MR is my converted MB Platinum. I swear that card is forked because it can’t generate support links and hasn’t yet been eligible for these Pay Over Time offers. It’s on the chopping block next year.
Thank you both for the reminder! Sadly I have not been targeted on my personal Plat yet 😞

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 1.13.16 AM.png

Two questions: (maybe 2.5 questions)

1. Does the CL on my Citi AA Biz matter when I apply for a CIP?

2/2.5. Does being an AU on any card affect the AU's credit score if the AU him/herself doesn't make any of the purchases? Like, if I wanted to make my 15 yo an AU on a card (but not actually give him a card), and I have really good credit, will it help him to build credit? And if it does help, does the same hold true for making him an employee on a Biz card, or do Biz cards/usage not affect a person's credit score?

I just returned from the Dis Podcast ABD- London, Paris, and DLP.

I paid for the podcast primarily with discounted disney gift cards-usually from 9-25% off. This trip was not inexpensive but I did use points/miles to assist in defraying the transportation costs.

tink flying from home (PNS)-
PNS-ATL Delta Skymiles (open jaw PNS-ATL, MCO-ATL-PNS) first class, 42K Skymiles

DH flying from near his work (ECP)-
ECP-ATL RT comfort +, 25K skymiles

DH, tink flying from ATL-
ATL-LHR, Delta One (biz), 86Kx2=172K skymiles

tink flying from CDG
CDG-DUB, Europe biz-25K skymiles

DH flying from CDG
CDG-ATL, comfort +, 50K skymiles

tink, flying from DUB
DUB-MCO, biz on Aer Lingus, 37.5K MRs (62.5K but 40% transfer bonus from Amex)

Hotels-
ATL-Marriott 35K certificate-ATL Gateway Renaissance

DUB-Fitzwilliam Hotel, prepaid with Hotels.com gift certificates bought on sale

MCO-Hyatt MCO Regency Hotel, 12K URs transferred to Hyatt

***all flights paid for with a combination of skymiles/MRs (some of the Delta flights I used a combination of skymiles including transferred MRs to skymiles).

***sharp eyes might note that Tink's DH was not always in first/biz...well, when P1 makes the flight arrangements and P0.0000002 is difficult about playing this game...he gets comfort + !

MRs can be very helpful for redemption for international flights-I used them for Delta One and Aer Lingus business. As always, I had a good experience on Delta One and Aer Lingus was adequate- not as good as my Delta One and United Polaris experience but not terrible.

I've posted brief reviews on the Renaissance and Hyatt on the I love credit cards hotels reviews.

Brief thoughts on the ABD...

The ABD begins in London and we stayed at The Landmark Hotel. I had several options for our pre-night in London but chose to book and stay at The Landmark so we could receive transportation from ABD from LHR and not have to change hotels. While I understand why ABD uses The Landmark (pool, large-very large really for London-rooms, and across the street from an Underground station), we really were not impressed with their service. Check in was painfully slow and although a room was guaranteed by 3, I had to go up to the desk at 3:30 and request a room assignment-finally being told if we wanted a room I'd have to downgrade from the type I'd prepaid more for. Desperately wanting a shower and to sleep, I agreed. Check out several days later was almost as chaotic-20 minutes to "express" check out. There were several other service issues but I'm trying to stay semi-brief. Needless to say I won't stay with them again in London.

The Paris hotel was the Paris Hilton Opera-it had a very convenient location and the service, in direct contrast to The Landmark, was very good whereas the room was very small (much more consistent with European rooms). My favorite parts of the Paris days included the Chocolate Museum visit, as well as short walking tour of Montmartre and a wine tasting at a local cafe. Both the chocolatier and sommelier were very passionate about their jobs and made excellent presentations. I didn't shop much, but I can't say that for everyone on the Adventure 🤣 .

DL-Paris was the special add on-we had our guides for the days there as well. The Disneyland Hotel reminded me of both Beach Club and Grand Floridian. Picky folks would note some broken tiles and peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, but I was delighted with beautiful roses- an arrangement in the room and a single (same color) in the bathroom, as well as a bathtub (so missed in Paris) with bath salts. I would definitely return to DL Hotel.

Our private tour with an Imagineer was amazing-despite the cold, the wind, the rain, our group was fascinated by his wonderful presentation for three and 1/2 hours. It was the highlight of the trip and definitely a unique experience. The time with him made the trip, without a doubt!

We also received VIP Fastpasses and were able to use them at the few attractions that accepted FPs. DL Paris is a beautiful park and I would return to it before WDW at this point. The farewell dinner was at Walt's-an intricately designed and decorated restaurant that features different rooms representing the different lands of DL-P.

I surprised myself by enjoying Montmartre more than I expected, and the tour with the Disney Imagineer exceeded my expectations. As always, the ABD was tiring and frankly I'm not sure the format is for me anymore. That said, I'm glad I went. John and Kevin were good hosts and it was nice to meet them and other DIS-ers IRL.
Oh my, this trip sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing all of these details. Disneyland Hotel looks beautiful in pictures and considering BC and GF are two of my favorite resorts, I must visit!

giphy (3).gif

I know it is completely different, but I was wondering about the FP situation with tour guides. I am doing the CA ABD and I did not see MaxPass mentioned, but the "vacationista" mentioned the tour guide would provide FP so I guess it is something similar.

Took advantage of “I still feel resentful it cost me so many ridiculous amount of miles October trip.” Today we had a morning flight instead of our usual late night arrival to WDW. 200,000 SkyMiles to fly in economy. Oh well. I will get over it. I couldn’t use my companion certificates as they were sold out and the cash price was ridiculous.

We checked into AKV and then went to Epcot. (I really want the AP Minnie coasters). My poor Epcot! Construction walls all over. I miss the fountain and the open feeling. I don’t know why they put all the walls up at once and then do nothing. But it was a super fun night and the girls were way happy to be all there together again with just our little family. Last time it was just the five of us was May 2018. For us with AP’s that is a long time! :)
At least it wasn't cash! I tend to do morning flights because I like to tell myself I get delayed less. Who knows if it is actually true. I think I just have a problem and I would be too excited getting somewhere late and not doing something like running into a Disney Park on arrival day. 🤣

Sad to hear about the state of Epcot, but I hope you have an amazing time with your family! :grouphug:

Congrats sorry for the delay finally caught up since phone gets so many pop ups.
I use the bug soap from the basin and it works great for everyone in my family. Haven’t used bug spray this summer thanks to the bug soap. Haven’t gotten mosquito bites either. Use it in the am and outside all day and night while camping.
UGH DIS pop-ups are terrible. I disabled my uBlock Origin for 5 minutes when I needed to use a cash back portal since adding it to the allowed list still didn't let it track and I came back here and could not stand the way the boards looked with the ads. I have become spoiled!

I found Norton Ad Blocker works pretty well on mobile and it even integrates with Safari. Another huge plus is that the DVC website still works for me. I had a content blocker I had to disable because it would never let me log-in, BUT now that I have my blue card I may not need to pull the website up on mobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter