I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brief thoughts on the ABD...

The ABD begins in London and we stayed at The Landmark Hotel. I had several options for our pre-night in London but chose to book and stay at The Landmark so we could receive transportation from ABD from LHR and not have to change hotels. While I understand why ABD uses The Landmark (pool, large-very large really for London-rooms, and across the street from an Underground station), we really were not impressed with their service. Check in was painfully slow and although a room was guaranteed by 3, I had to go up to the desk at 3:30 and request a room assignment-finally being told if we wanted a room I'd have to downgrade from the type I'd prepaid more for. Desperately wanting a shower and to sleep, I agreed. Check out several days later was almost as chaotic-20 minutes to "express" check out. There were several other service issues but I'm trying to stay semi-brief. Needless to say I won't stay with them again in London.

The Paris hotel was the Paris Hilton Opera-it had a very convenient location and the service, in direct contrast to The Landmark, was very good whereas the room was very small (much more consistent with European rooms). My favorite parts of the Paris days included the Chocolate Museum visit, as well as short walking tour of Montmartre and a wine tasting at a local cafe. Both the chocolatier and sommelier were very passionate about their jobs and made excellent presentations. I didn't shop much, but I can't say that for everyone on the Adventure 🤣 .

DL-Paris was the special add on-we had our guides for the days there as well. The Disneyland Hotel reminded me of both Beach Club and Grand Floridian. Picky folks would note some broken tiles and peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, but I was delighted with beautiful roses- an arrangement in the room and a single (same color) in the bathroom, as well as a bathtub (so missed in Paris) with bath salts. I would definitely return to DL Hotel.

Our private tour with an Imagineer was amazing-despite the cold, the wind, the rain, our group was fascinated by his wonderful presentation for three and 1/2 hours. It was the highlight of the trip and definitely a unique experience. The time with him made the trip, without a doubt!

We also received VIP Fastpasses and were able to use them at the few attractions that accepted FPs. DL Paris is a beautiful park and I would return to it before WDW at this point. The farewell dinner was at Walt's-an intricately designed and decorated restaurant that features different rooms representing the different lands of DL-P.

I surprised myself by enjoying Montmartre more than I expected, and the tour with the Disney Imagineer exceeded my expectations. As always, the ABD was tiring and frankly I'm not sure the format is for me anymore. That said, I'm glad I went. John and Kevin were good hosts and it was nice to meet them and other DIS-ers IRL.

Took advantage of “I still feel resentful it cost me so many ridiculous amount of miles October trip.” Today we had a morning flight instead of our usual late night arrival to WDW. 200,000 SkyMiles to fly in economy. Oh well. I will get over it. I couldn’t use my companion certificates as they were sold out and the cash price was ridiculous.

We checked into AKV and then went to Epcot. (I really want the AP Minnie coasters). My poor Epcot! Construction walls all over. I miss the fountain and the open feeling. I don’t know why they put all the walls up at once and then do nothing. But it was a super fun night and the girls were way happy to be all there together again with just our little family. Last time it was just the five of us was May 2018. For us with AP’s that is a long time! :)

@Haley R - saw these gifs today and just had to share in light of our convo on steak the other day:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Gollum and I probably enjoy a similar level of done-ness when it comes to steak!!
Blech gross. I could never eat it less than medium. I don’t want a bunch of blood in my steak

Question for other SAH spouses. What do you put for income source? I put in household income but this is the first application that asked for income source. I didn't want to pick employed since it wasn't the person applying that was employed even though income was from employment. Curious what others do.

There's usually an 'other' option if nothing else seems to fit. That works.

Regarding cell phone coverage/protection.

I will be buying a new phone soon. Which card would be best for the purchase of the phone? Purchasing from apple, at&t, or best buy if that makes a difference.

Do any of my cards have insurance like the ihg that was mentioned?

I have:
CSP
CF
CFU (currently earning 3x)
Amex Everyday
Discover It
United Mileage (the no fee one)
Disney (the no fee one)

Generally for ongoing cell phone protection it doesn't matter what card is used to buy it, it's what card you're paying the monthly service bill with that would cover it. The card used to buy it could give you purchase protection for the first X number of days though.

:wave2:

I (DH 😉) received an offer to upgrade SW Plus to SW Priority.

Does anyone know when the $149 AF will post? Is it immediately or when my next AF was expected to post next August?
Chase Annual Fees on an upgrade offer or product change are one of churning's great mysteries...
  • What I've come to find through reading lots of DPs is that your AF will likely post on the 1st of the month between 3 and 6 months from the date you upgrade.
  • So if you upgrade now, your AF will probably post between January and April of 2020.
  • If it doesn't follow that pattern, I'd be highly interested in when it does post, lol!
The other nice part is you would get a pro-rated refund of the $69 you paid in August. So you might get back $50ish from that.

A few quick questions for you now:
1) Did that upgrade come via snail mail, email, or did you see it in the app or somewhere else?
2) What is the upgrade offer? Are there bonus points and is it for a certain MSR or just make 1 purchase?

...I may have personal motivations for asking these questions as I REALLY wish I could get an upgrade offer on my wife's SW Plus that would be worth accepting, lol!

Last edited:
FYI - Those of us with an Amex Rose Gold card, Check your emails. I received an email offer to enroll in pay over time and get 10k MRs.

Thanks for the heads up!

DoC keeps a running list of targeted links to enroll in Pay Over Time for 10k MR: [Targeted] 10,000 Membership Rewards Points For Enrolling In Pay Over Time.

I periodically encourage everyone with an Amex charge card (Platinum, Gold, or Green, or their business versions) to check these links when DoC updates the list. These links are often pulled from targeted emails like the one @calypso726 received, shared on r/churning and posted by the good doctor.

The thing is, these links may work for you even though you didn’t get a targeted email or mailer about it. This was true for several of my cards, and it’s the easiest 10k MR ever.

The only one of my Amex charge cards still waiting to be targeted for Pay Over Time for 10k MR is my converted MB Platinum. I swear that card is forked because it can’t generate support links and hasn’t yet been eligible for these Pay Over Time offers. It’s on the chopping block next year.

No new comments today - I just checked a few minutes ago actually. It’s just been a quiet churning day (week?). It seems in general there is a lack of exciting churning news lately. No new cards, no new exciting offers, most of us are pursuing a pretty boring (but lucrative) strategy. I’ve also commented that we’ve seen a similar trend on r/churning. The game happens in waves.
Nice to know I’m not the only one thinking that!! Although I’d much rather it be quiet and boring than alight with bad news!

Nice to know I’m not the only one thinking that!! Although I’d much rather it be quiet and boring than alight with bad news!
Yeah, I seem to recall there was a TON of activity on this thread around the following events:
  • 1 Sapphire Card Rule and death of Double Dip
  • 1 Southwest Card Rule and concern over future of CP
  • 48 month Sapphire rule
  • Clawbacks of Amex Self-Referrals
Those are not events I look forward to discussing although they do generate page after page of collective gnashing of teeth!

EDIT: Wow am I a downer with this comment...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Haha thanks for keeping it a secret and helping me with the cruise stuff! I got a long sleeve swim shirt which should work great for mosquitoes. My legs will just have to get sprayed a lot because I’m not wearing pants.

Have fun on your cruise!
Congrats sorry for the delay finally caught up since phone gets so many pop ups.
I use the bug soap from the basin and it works great for everyone in my family. Haven’t used bug spray this summer thanks to the bug soap. Haven’t gotten mosquito bites either. Use it in the am and outside all day and night while camping.

Question for other SAH spouses. What do you put for income source? I put in household income but this is the first application that asked for income source. I didn't want to pick employed since it wasn't the person applying that was employed even though income was from employment. Curious what others do.
There's usually an 'other' option if nothing else seems to fit. That works.

This question pops up every now and then. I always recommend “other,” since “unemployed” has such a negative stigma and SAH spouses, mothers and fathers don’t just “stay at home”; they do valuable work for the family that have real economic worth even if it’s not in the form of a paycheck. Like @miztressuz, selecting “other” works — many have been approved, and it certainly won’t sink an application.

Yeah, I seem to recall there was a TON of activity on this thread around the following events:
  • 1 Sapphire Card Rule and death of Double Dip
  • 1 Southwest Card Rule and concern over future of CP
  • 48 month Sapphire rule
  • Clawbacks of Amex Self-Referrals
Those are not events I look forward to discussing although they do generate page after page of collective gnashing of teeth!

Death of Plastiq 3x on the CIP due to a hit and run. Witnesses spotted a douchebag driving away in a Tesla Model 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter