• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen it mentioned anywhere (so maybe it is not that great of a deal) but both DH and I got an email yesterday on our Bonvoy Brilliant. It said “Happy Anniversary!” And then spend $25 on “eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels” and get a $25 statement credit. What do you all think?

I told DH about it. Said “maybe it is a sign we should go somewhere this long weekend for a little road trip.” (I also have on one card the spend $200 save $40 offer). He then stated “but what if we are Bonvoyed!” He was actually quite proud of himself. “Bonvoyed” was accompanied by a smile and a ”see I listen!”

I received the same email, but when I went to register it required a 14 digit code...which I couldn't find anywhere in the email. BONVOYED before I even had the chance to make a reservation.:rolleyes:

So my off-topic, kinda on-topic rant/fun fact of the night is - Despite having the largest Chinatown in Canada, and like the 3rd oldest Chinatown community in North America (? something like that, I think I read), the best places for Dim Sum in Vancouver, BC are not in it! :badpc:

I thought we hit the jackpot with the hotel near the cruise pier also being within close proximity to Gastown, Chinatown, and not terribly far from Stanley Park - 3 of the top 10 things to do in Vancouver according to many lists. Hubby being a fan of Dim Sum this seemed great, hop a quick metro to Chinatown, have some dim sum, stroll the gardens, easy peasy. In researching the top places to get dim sum, they're all either in Richmond or outside of Downtown Vancouver. :rolleyes: Evidently the community moved on up (and out) to settle in these areas. The neat thing about it is many say some of the places are pretty authentic to what you find in Hong Kong. The down side is the 30-40 minute commute to try it.

Le sigh, it's always something.

So my off-topic, kinda on-topic rant/fun fact of the night is - Despite having the largest Chinatown in Canada, and like the 3rd oldest Chinatown community in North America (? something like that, I think I read), the best places for Dim Sum in Vancouver, BC are not in it! :badpc:

I thought we hit the jackpot with the hotel near the cruise pier also being within close proximity to Gastown, Chinatown, and not terribly far from Stanley Park - 3 of the top 10 things to do in Vancouver according to many lists. Hubby being a fan of Dim Sum this seemed great, hop a quick metro to Chinatown, have some dim sum, stroll the gardens, easy peasy. In researching the top places to get dim sum, they're all either in Richmond or outside of Downtown Vancouver. :rolleyes: Evidently the community moved on up (and out) to settle in these areas. The neat thing about it is many say some of the places are pretty authentic to what you find in Hong Kong. The down side is the 30-40 minute commute to try it.

Have to say this doesn't surprise me. I don't know what the housing market is like up there compared to other places on the west coast or in canada but just driving through parts of Vancouver it seems like more people don't live there any more. There's a lot of new construction where houses used to be and it's not necessarily new housing. But I would also suggest hopping over to the Canadian board and asking if there's a good place closer than Richmond or further out. I'm guessing Surrey might have one for the further out places. Or at least find out if one of the places on the list is close to the lightrail, it's easy to use.

Seriously. The price for 3 years is less than a 1 day hopper ticket at WDW. I also figured if I watch 7 new releases that I do not purchase over the 3 years I will break even.
I cannot imagine how this wouldn't be a 'win' for most Disney fans. $3.92 a month. A month! That is shockingly low considering Disney money grabs everywhere they can. If you don't normally watch Disney programming or buy the movies, maybe this service isn't for you.

Thanks! I re-added it and made sure to select student loans (for whatever reason it autoadded it oreviously as mortgage and since it was last paid with an MC it wasn’t caught). It gave me a “hey visa doesnt allow mortgage payments but if this isn’t that you can proceed” message and let me submit it this time. I wonder if I should chat tomorrow to see if they want proof so it doesn’t get flagged.
They'll email you if you gets flagged and you can just respond. They tend to fix it within hours.

They flagged my Softball payment. I expect my car loan to get flagged again too, even though it says auto and was already approved. I got the message on it today.

:offtopic:
Is anyone a UPS My Choice Premium member? My account expired and I am looking for a discount code to renew with and haven't been able to find one that works

Guys - off topic but if you have 2ish hours to kill and you enjoy Disney voice actors you should totally watch this! I am sacrificing sleep tonight for it, LOL! (It’s from D23)

Whoa that is almost 2 hours!!!!! Already started it but won't get it all in tonight. I love Brian Hull and loving this so far.

Whoa that is almost 2 hours!!!!! Already started it but won't get it all in tonight. I love Brian Hull and loving this so far.
It’s amazing, informative, funny! I seriously have watched every minute. Jim Cummings is soooo awesome too (voice of Pooh). Probably my favorite part.

I'm not there yet! That's honestly my fav Brian Hull voice is Pooh Bear :)
You have to watch to the end (or pick it up tomorrow). Just finished and it was so awesome!!! I was seeing all the twitter posts last night and was so upset I couldn’t find a live stream.

Sorry everybody - I hijacked the thread to have a conversation with @wendow tonight over D23 LOL!! 🤣

You have to watch to the end (or pick it up tomorrow). Just finished and it was so awesome!!! I was seeing all the twitter posts last night and was so upset I couldn’t find a live stream.

Sorry everybody - I hijacked the thread to have a conversation with @wendow tonight over D23 LOL!! 🤣
I am cracking up that they ask for audience volunteers for the queen of hearts and a bunch of guys stand up lol!

Can confirm. I have extended family in Richmond.

Most of the expats who fled Hong Kong in and before the 1997 handover settled in Richmond (which sounds like “Rich man,” probably helped), where there are now strip malls full of businesses owned and run by these former Hongkongers, including some of the best dim sum and Hong Kong-style Cantonese restaurants I’ve eaten at outside of Asia. By comparison, San Francisco, home to the largest Chinatown in the U.S., has a few bright spots but is generally sorely lacking. Unfortunately, I don’t know what restaurants I ate at in Richmond to recommend. I was taken there, and I ate very well.

My turn for fun facts. While watching Netflix’s Always Be My Maybe and Wu Assassins, which are both purportedly set in San Francisco, they actually shot a lot of B roll in SF but shot most scenes that take place in Chinatown with the actors on location in Canada. Apparently those red lamp posts make the streets look more Asian than what we have going on here.

Last edited:
DoC is reporting a short-term offer on Delta Vacation Packages. Miles are worth double through 8/31/19 - 2 cents per mile.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/delt...es-worth-double-2¢-sale-2-night-stay-minimum/
I had free time while working a night shift tonight, so I played around with some dummy bookings, and I am happy to see that all Disney resorts appear to be available. Additionally, if booking a hotel plus car vacation, it lets you separate the duration of your car rental from the duration of your hotel rental. In fact, it let me shorten the car rental duration to only one hour, effectively turning the vacation package into a room-only reservation. (It required me to sign up for Magical Express because I had no car rental.) I checked a few resorts during our spring break week, and the cost was the same from Disney and from Delta.

This looks like an effective way to use AmEx MR to pay for a Disney resort at 2 cents/point, which is a pretty decent valuation. No way to tell if they will pass along discount rates when they are available.

The promotion is only through 8/31/19, but here's one more potential nugget. The terms say this: "If you cancel your reservation, miles will not be redeposited into your SkyMiles account. The SkyMiles account holder will receive a Delta Vacations voucher for the value of the miles at the time of they were applied to the booking as payment." If I'm reading this correctly, you could book a vacation now, cancel, then use the 2 cents/point value on a future reservation.

I don't have a trip planned until 2021, otherwise I'd be tempted to give this a shot.

ETA: I ran some fall dates, and it looks like Delta is offering the 20% Fall/Holiday discounted rooms.

ETA: Unfortunately, it looks like you must reserve a flight + hotel package to pay with miles.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/shop/delta-vacations/miles-to-go.html

Last edited:
Great to know, thank you! I was reading another F&W menu tonight and salivating. Since I’ve never done F&W, can anyone tell me if they have some additional seating set up in WS? We want to snack through the World for dinner one night, but my FIL is disabled and needs to sit down with an actual table in order to eat. I’m wondering if we should grab a bunch of little things and then head somewhere like whatever the restaurant is in america with a ton of tables and camp out there to eat.
They have additional tables but not much seating unless you count park benches.

My wife has a SW Priority card that we upgraded from the Premier for a bonus. The original opening date of this card was 10/31/17 and we upgraded on 2/19/19 for the bonus points when the priority came out. The 149 AF just hit. I have not used the $75 SW credit available on the card. Can I use this credit on a GC then close the card? My goal is to get the CP 2020-2021 with DW. Any clue when the anniversary points will be credited? Nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter