I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have UR's- a few MR's, Hilton,IHG, Southwest points. I'm wondering hat I can do with some of these....I know UR can be turned into cash(But I'm hanging onto those till the last) and I'm feeling like all these stashes are a waste. Maybe I'm jumping too fast...
You should be able to buy gift cards with SW and MR points, then sell them. I'm not sure about the others. I think I'm going to turn my MRs into Home Depot GC, I have an offer to buy the gift cards at a discounted rate. I can buy $500 GC for 40K MRs. If I can make $400 for selling the card I'm okay with that.

I have a question (which might be the opposite of the intent of this thread)
But I'm starting to consider my options with all my various travel points..... I don't see travel happening right now, and thinking about how I could potentially turn some of this into cash. (I'm horrified that I"m thinking this BTW) Is there a resource of the best ways to do this? Something that gives a rundown of the various programs that can be used for other purposes? I just don't know what to think anymore, but I don't see travel getting any easier anytime soon . (I may be 100% wrong,who really knows?) Anyway, altho it saddens me to think this, I'd appreciate any tips you all might have....:sad:
For URs I have been using the pay yourself back on my CSR to cash out

I have UR's- a few MR's, Hilton,IHG, Southwest points. I'm wondering hat I can do with some of these....I know UR can be turned into cash(But I'm hanging onto those till the last) and I'm feeling like all these stashes are a waste. Maybe I'm jumping too fast...
I’m cashing out all my URs thru PYB as well. At 1.5 cpp it makes total sense for me.

I’ve been doing this too. We’re finishing up our master bath remodel and between buying amazon gc at the grocery store and all our Home Depot trips, I’ve ran through a ton of our URs. Makes me sad but also a fantastic way to save on our bathroom. We bought our shower glass and bathtub from amazon cause they were already so much less. Combined with using URs and it was all such a great deal!!

The coffee tastes better? It's just a more flavorful experience, and once I get my own machine I'll let you know how it works for me.

Years ago I had a Tassimo and loved it because there were a lot of varieties. I could make crema, espresso, and lots of different drinks. Problem was although it was very popular in other countries, it didn't take off here. I actually got a second machine when the first one died. They also had Starbucks products and then Starbucks went away from them.

Then, there was a good deal somewhere on a Keurig so I went to that. It wasn't the same but along the way I had 3 Keurig machines. I kind of stopped my coffee thing and just drank a regular cup once a day. I still would make the occasional espresso or latte with my Tassimo.

Meanwhile older daughter (while recuperating from her car accident) got attached to my Tassimo, took it home for a while and started to enjoy my drink hacks from it. Hacks because of such limited variety. She branched out to Nespresso. I was secretly jealous but did not want to buy another machine. She just recently returned my Tassimo with one capsule left over <g>.

Anyway, Keurig broke, and I'm back to more interesting (to me) choices.

One note - the machine is not the pricey part, even with Keurig. It's the pods. I probably should have made my change before my machine broke - that way I wouldn't have $30 worth of K Cups sitting in my kitchen unused.

Older daughter is saving. She had a serious Starbucks problem - every day she went there either on the way to work or at the one near her job. Plus on weekends. When we were together, it was 'pull in to Starbucks drivethru'. Plus she would get food also. Once she got the machine it probably paid for itself in a month. Still has an occasional visit to SB's but usually when out of town.

Anyway, my new toy will up my coffee price to double or more, but I don't really care. It's just me and I rarely drink more than one cup a day, plus an odd cup for friends or family. Younger DD doesn't have the habit yet. Meanwhile I need a Keurig to finish off those K cups....

I drink way too much coffee - and have had Keurigs for 9 years. Also got a nespresso 4 years ago, and just last month I graduated to a Breville Barista Bambino Plus and Breville grinder. I buy beans freshly roasted from a local coffee roaster and am having a lot of fun experimenting with different grinds and coffee blends. It has really brought back the joy of drinking coffee and noticing subtle flavor differences depending on the grind.

The nespresso still gets some use, but the Keurig is now largely gathering dust in the the corner, while my non-coffee drinking DW complains about the amount of counter space occupied by coffee machines. :coffee:

Yes. Right now the Nespresso website has a gift for new customers which includes a sleeve of coffee, a couple of glasses and a recycling bag. I'm trying to decide if I want to order that much coffee without tasting a lot to see what I prefer, as I don't have my machine yet. They want you to order a minimum of 10 sleeves. Maybe I'll just go for it later today.

My friend that has the Vertuo agrees that the capsules are not cheaper anywhere. My daughter with the 'original?' gets the less expensive ones in addition to the ones she likes, as she has a lot of traffic (husband's friends) come through her kitchen. He drinks whatever as do they.

Also, nice to hear that others are enjoying this machine. I 'almost' bought another Keurig the day it died, but tend to like to do research a bit at least. So I dawdled and figured out how to spend more money.
You might want to wait until you get your machine. My machine came with a sample pack of about 12 different capsules as well as a code for a discount on your first order. That way you can try a few different ones and see what you like. Also, you only have to order a minimum amount of sleeves if you want the “free” extras. Otherwise, there is no minimum order requirement, although there is a minimum for free shipping but it’s not a lot. The recycling bags are always free. I really like the Odacio and Melozio capsules for coffee, and Amy of their double espresso capsules are great. If you like iced coffee, their new iced coffee capsule for the summer has been really great.

Coffee - I have a Keurig, which is what I used to use daily, until DH at age 60 suddenly decided to switch from tea to coffee. So we now use a 12 cup pot daily instead, and the Keurig occasionally if he wants something after dinner (I can't do caffeine after noon). You all have me intrigued with the Nespresso stories!

This article is helpful is you are wanting to leave the US for travel right now. Americans are barred from many places. This list tells you where you can go with a US passport, but testing or quarantine is still mostly required.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/...6-46qNOep6fFxDiakUPQHkdilmj9A5Tm57uzPZTuyrpy8
Thanks. We were hopeful that our October trips would happen, but that hope continues to dwindle. Cayman Islands probably won't open to Americans if we keep going on this trajectory.

Just popping in to say that I texted (yup!) Virgin Atlantic and after a few days they responded saying that if I needed to cancel our trip because Japan wasn't letting folks from the US in in November, they would refund me all the points and fees minus a $50 cancellation fee.

Do you all think I should just cancel now and start looking for next fall (which I won't be able to do for a few more months)? The fees were paid on a CIP for which I already got the SUB so that might be an issue...

I'm not sure if you are aware, but Virgin are taking over 3 months to issue refunds - I just received a refund this week 108 days after cancelling a flight back in March. I still have a December booking with them that I am thinking of canceling just to get the ball rolling on that refund which is over $1,500.

I am somewhat concerned about Virgin surviving, especially if the US Market does not return to some semblance of normality soon. It is a tough call, especially if you think there is a chance you might still travel this November, but if you think the odds are favoring moving the trip to next year, then canceling sooner rather than later is what I would lean towards.

Noticed this morning that Southwest has finally confirmed that their scheduled will open up for flights after Jan 4 on Aug 27. For a while the extension date was unknown.

"We are currently accepting air reservations through January 4, 2021. On August 27, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through March 10, 2021. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."
Tks! I was going to check for that today.

I’m cashing out all my URs thru PYB as well. At 1.5 cpp it makes total sense for me.
all of them? Not trying to pry, just wondering what others are thinking/doing perhaps in all of this.... I could pay a chunk down on my mortgage with all of this....

AH! I wa just gonna ask this question about WM grocery curb pickup.... I was gonna use my BCE the other day and forgot and used my CSR (it was still on acct from last month) so it codes as grocery?
I don't know about the CSR, but the BCP codes as grocery.

AH! I wa just gonna ask this question about WM grocery curb pickup.... I was gonna use my BCE the other day and forgot and used my CSR (it was still on acct from last month) so it codes as grocery?

WM grocery delivery codes as grocery on CSR. Only 1x UR earned now that the 5x promo has ended. But can be "erased" with pay yourself back at 1.5x with CSR.

Hilton points can be used on Amazon at 0.2 cent per point. Pretty bad redemption, unless you really wanted to liquidate.

Y'all have me intrigued cause I love coffee! What is so special about a Nespresso? Asking at a time when I cannot buy one as I just got a new keurig from my mom as an early bday gift. But maybe in a few years...

My DM was interested in Keurig or Nespresso, not sure which one, so DH did a "deep dive" doing research, etc. We have friends who love their Keurigs. We loved the Nespresso from all the hotels we stayed at. His research for her led us to getting a Nespresso for ourselves (oops) and we love it. It steams my almond milk perfectly, there are lots of pods to choose from, and unlike the larger ones with the beans, it's not a pain that I want decaf and DH wants regular all the time. Recycling the pods is very easy (and that was important to me when we were choosing - there is already far too much plastic out there). About a year ago, DH's work added a Keurig and all the special coffees and he can't stand it, so I guess we made the right choice for us. :rotfl: He thought it was so bad that he walked up and down 3-4 flights of stairs to a brew machine whenever he wanted coffee.

Also, our Starbucks habit was getting expensive, and we felt that the service and the coffee itself had been going downhill for a while, so it made sense to just get our own machine. We have the original because we want espressos/lattes and not cups of coffee. What we make at home is far, far better than Starbucks, and about as good as the lattes that our favorite, fancy, expensive and not so convenient bakery offers. So it was a win-win for us. Now that DH is WFH for 2020 he's really glad we have one here.

Sorry if that was too much information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter