I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m doing pay yourself back also. It totally makes sense to do this in conjunction with May/June grocery purchases. I paid my bill in May before I figured I’d do this so I’m a little delayed on cancelling out purchases. I don’t want to get a huge negative balance on my card. So I used my CSR this morning to pay ahead on my electric bill since I got the 1500 UR bonus on paying two utilities bills. I was pleasantly surprised to see no fees to pay my electric company with credit card anymore.

I drink way too much coffee - and have had Keurigs for 9 years. Also got a nespresso 4 years ago, and just last month I graduated to a Breville Barista Bambino Plus and Breville grinder. I buy beans freshly roasted from a local coffee roaster and am having a lot of fun experimenting with different grinds and coffee blends. It has really brought back the joy of drinking coffee and noticing subtle flavor differences depending on the grind.

The nespresso still gets some use, but the Keurig is now largely gathering dust in the the corner, while my non-coffee drinking DW complains about the amount of counter space occupied by coffee machines. :coffee:

We have a Jura with automatic grinder. DH's work was throwing it out because it broke, so he took it home and fixed it. We used a Keurig before for many years, always felt bad about the plastic waste. Not sure if I can ever go back. If the Jura ever becomes unfixable (knock on wood!), we may just have to buy one. 😆

all of them? Not trying to pry, just wondering what others are thinking/doing perhaps in all of this.... I could pay a chunk down on my mortgage with all of this....

I am not cashing anything out at this point. I have around 450,000 UR"s right now. Mostly used for cruises. This would get me at least 2 cruises with CSR for the 4 of us. I may consider cashing in maybe 100,00 points to get Disney Gift Cards. Really want to go back next May - but really don't want to go until everything is mostly back to normal also...

Hoping to be traveling again within the next year anyway - so going to keep holding on to most of my points for the future.

I’m doing pay yourself back also. It totally makes sense to do this in conjunction with May/June grocery purchases. I paid my bill in May before I figured I’d do this so I’m a little delayed on cancelling out purchases. I don’t want to get a huge negative balance on my card. So I used my CSR this morning to pay ahead on my electric bill since I got the 1500 UR bonus on paying two utilities bills. I was pleasantly surprised to see no fees to pay my electric company with credit card anymore.
The first time I did the pay yourself back there was a large credit balance on my CSR...I sent a secured message and they sent me an email where it was transferred to my bank account

When you go into your online account and click on the pay yourself back feature...it will show you the purchases that are eligible...if I’m remembering correctly I think for the last 90 days
Yep, definitely 90 days. I went in the end of June and was able to wipe out restaurant charges all the way back to the beginning of April. Pleasantly surprised.

I am not cashing anything out at this point. I have around 450,000 UR"s right now. Mostly used for cruises. This would get me at least 2 cruises with CSR for the 4 of us. I may consider cashing in maybe 100,00 points to get Disney Gift Cards. Really want to go back next May - but really don't want to go until everything is mostly back to normal also...

Hoping to be traveling again within the next year anyway - so going to keep holding on to most of my points for the future.
I thought I was the only one holding on to points. I still hoping next year I can travel so I don’t want to cash out just yet.

all of them? Not trying to pry, just wondering what others are thinking/doing perhaps in all of this.... I could pay a chunk down on my mortgage with all of this....
This is specific to my situation, but yes basically all of them. I will leave a small amount behind for the occasional Hyatt need but 1.5 cpp is the same as I’d get using them for any travel experience so I’m taking the cash now and can always pay cash later for travel if I need to.

I thought I was the only one holding on to points. I still hoping next year I can travel so I don’t want to cash out just yet.

I'm still holding and accumulating. My plan hasn't changed though with chase changing biz cards I did have to make a hard left to an unplanned plan q and a citi card. I'm on my 3rd msr since Feb and am still planning to start booking Asia this fall for next fall. We feel ok still going forward with it and we'll see what happens. This has been over 2 yeara in the making now so we'll move it if we have to but for now it's still full steam ahead.

I drink way too much coffee - and have had Keurigs for 9 years. Also got a nespresso 4 years ago, and just last month I graduated to a Breville Barista Bambino Plus and Breville grinder. I buy beans freshly roasted from a local coffee roaster and am having a lot of fun experimenting with different grinds and coffee blends. It has really brought back the joy of drinking coffee and noticing subtle flavor differences depending on the grind.

The nespresso still gets some use, but the Keurig is now largely gathering dust in the the corner, while my non-coffee drinking DW complains about the amount of counter space occupied by coffee machines. :coffee:

I went through the grinding my beans and buying fresh roasted coffee beans and would love if I had some one to do it for me in the early morning! I also love french press coffee. But, mostly - I just want to slap a pod in and push a button to get a decent cup between 5 and 6 am.

I used to be much more motivated to do a press pot, and I certainly enjoy the coffee!

I received an offer for the Hilton Surpass for 175k for $4k spend. From DOC, it seems that this is the best SUB on this card so I'm really tempted to go for it. I am 1/24 (Amex Plat on 4/19) and we have no hotel cards. Since we are 6, I like Embassy Suites and the suites options for our family although we've moved away from hotels to Airbnb for the most part. The house remodeling should make it easy to spend the $4k and while we have no real travel planned, I still hope to do a road trip from Chicago to New Orleans which was the trip that we were most likely to do this summer. I think I'm talking myself into it. Oh, this is considered a...credit or charge card? This difference from Amex always trips me up and I know there are limits on the number of them you can hold.

Other card plans I've tossed around:
Blue Cash Preferred
Amex Gold
Churn the CSR at the end of this year/early 2021 (my preferred currency as we travel coach and we can usually get good rates available through the portal)

I know the Aspire is one I should eventually add as our kids age out of traveling with the family and I can plan (slightly) higher end vacations to use the FNC.

We have a Jura with automatic grinder. DH's work was throwing it out because it broke, so he took it home and fixed it. We used a Keurig before for many years, always felt bad about the plastic waste. Not sure if I can ever go back. If the Jura ever becomes unfixable (knock on wood!), we may just have to buy one. 😆

A Jura is way beyond my dreams, lol!

I received an offer for the Hilton Surpass for 175k for $4k spend. From DOC, it seems that this is the best SUB on this card so I'm really tempted to go for it. I am 1/24 (Amex Plat on 4/19) and we have no hotel cards. Since we are 6, I like Embassy Suites and the suites options for our family although we've moved away from hotels to Airbnb for the most part. The house remodeling should make it easy to spend the $4k and while we have no real travel planned, I still hope to do a road trip from Chicago to New Orleans which was the trip that we were most likely to do this summer. I think I'm talking myself into it. Oh, this is considered a...credit or charge card? This difference from Amex always trips me up and I know there are limits on the number of them you can hold.

Other card plans I've tossed around:
Blue Cash Preferred
Amex Gold
Churn the CSR at the end of this year/early 2021 (my preferred currency as we travel coach and we can usually get good rates available through the portal)

I know the Aspire is one I should eventually add as our kids age out of traveling with the family and I can plan (slightly) higher end vacations to use the FNC.
The best I had noted was 150K for $3k spend, so that looks pretty good.
I believe this is a Credit Card, so this would be one of your four max Amex CCs.

Last edited:
Have we ever decided exactly when "24 months" occurs? Card was opened 7/11/18, is sometime after 7/11 safe to assume it's dropped or better to wait until end of the month? I have a second card opened 7/13/18. One of these is Amex and one Chase if it matters.

I'm 5/24 (with them) and wanted to app for a Chase Biz (and cross my fingers), trying to decide when to do that. I'm wondering if 7/16 would be an okay time.

I was gonna hold onto my URs too, but wouldn't it be better to Pay Myself Back (even at 1.25 for my CSP), then earn 3% on future travel purchases, which would not be earned if spent through the portal. Does that make sense?

I was gonna hold onto my URs too, but wouldn't it be better to Pay Myself Back (even at 1.25 for my CSP), then earn 3% on future travel purchases, which would not be earned if spent through the portal. Does that make sense?
I have booked Shades of Green for Nov and Jan. I'll be paying cash and cashing out to cover. So, yes, that's my line of thinking.

ETA: car rental. I had booked via UR, but switched over to cash at the same $ rate and then paid myself via UR cashout.

Last edited:

It depends on what you normally or plan to book with the points. I'm not cashing out ur to pay cash to fly economy to Japan when I can use the points for 1st or biz on ana. I'm also not going to cahs out and pay cash when I can do better than or equal to 1.5 redeeming for hyatt.

If I was going to use them to book economy domestic flights or cheaper hotel rooms it'd probably make sense. You'll have to decide what and when they'd be used for and how easy you can accumulate the points for when you do want to use them. Or if you have a ton of points keep some and cash some out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter