I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So (sorry to be dumb), when you say "for a week at PVB In November 2020...." what are you looking at? Is that something that I, as a non-DVC person, can look at somewhere? (I am thinking "no").

And then as far as availability- that's a good thing to consider. If I went to David's (where I was looking), it does list a price and of course they'd have to get back to me once they see it's available I suppose. I see they have a method for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.

Very confusing for someone like me!

You were thinking correctly ... I logged into our DVC account to snoop around a little. I think you said you have friends with DVC? If so, they could check on availability for you too. I don't think there is any other way to do this.

I have no experience with renting points from anyone or any site, so I'm not much help there.

Very good thoughts, all. Thank you.
And I really don't know whether to laugh or cry at the comment about FL and AZ! I've been thinking the same thing! Both of them trying to keep out the other! *sigh* what a mess this year has been!!!!
We are in CO and are going to WDW 7/21-29. My dh is back to work here but he has to quarantine for 14 days after we come back from FL. People keep asking if we are really still going...uh, yeah, we are...Maybe we all should quarantine after we get back :faint: Yes, total mess...

Thank you all so much. Now I have more questions.

Based on the feedback we are good choosing a cheap (good grief whats the word. VALUE!) hotel, and we just saw a walk-through-the-grounds video at Pop Century and it looks fun so we will likely do that.

Now- dining. As I mentioned, we are generally more quick service kind of people, but for a week, we would be happy to do maybe two table service meals. I'm not a particularly adventurous eater but to give you an example of what we enjoy at DL, we have done Chef's Table at Napa Rose a handful of times (although I'm not a huge fan of their regular menu). We could enjoy a nice steak dinner, or something along those lines. An added bonus would be the ability to use a reservation to check out a nice resort that we might not otherwise get a chance to see depending on the situation of the times. (We really do want to see the Polynesian and maybe the Grand Floridian). And if it has an amazing lounge/bar with a great Old Fashioned (for him) and something fruity and delicious (for me), so much the better!

So now I'm playing around on the website, and if I am looking at it correctly, 2 6-day park tickets (alone) are 1101.44. A 7 night stay at Pop Century in a pool view room (alone) is 1296.00 That total is 2397.44. However, if I book them together as a "vacation package," the new total becomes 2553.88. Does anyone know why it would cost $150 more to book as a package? Do I get something more with a package that I wouldn't otherwise get?

Based on the feedback we are good choosing a cheap (good grief whats the word. VALUE!) hotel, and we just saw a walk-through-the-grounds video at Pop Century and it looks fun so we will likely do that.

Now- dining. As I mentioned, we are generally more quick service kind of people, but for a week, we would be happy to do maybe two table service meals. I'm not a particularly adventurous eater but to give you an example of what we enjoy at DL, we have done Chef's Table at Napa Rose a handful of times (although I'm not a huge fan of their regular menu). We could enjoy a nice steak dinner, or something along those lines. An added bonus would be the ability to use a reservation to check out a nice resort that we might not otherwise get a chance to see depending on the situation of the times. (We really do want to see the Polynesian and maybe the Grand Floridian). And if it has an amazing lounge/bar with a great Old Fashioned (for him) and something fruity and delicious (for me), so much the better!

So now I'm playing around on the website, and if I am looking at it correctly, 2 6-day park tickets (alone) are 1101.44. A 7 night stay at Pop Century in a pool view room (alone) is 1296.00 That total is 2397.44. However, if I book them together as a "vacation package," the new total becomes 2553.88. Does anyone know why it would cost $150 more to book as a package? Do I get something more with a package that I wouldn't otherwise get?
We are Pop fans because 1) it honestly is a fun resort and 2) we don't spend much time at the resort. I sometimes wonder what it looks like in the daylight lol as we always seem to leave in the dark and arrive back in the dark. With reduced hours you could spend more time there so something to consider :)

I'm not sure why a package would cost more...Makes no sense...A lot of weird stuff going on lately on the disney booking system cause of all the changes.

@ten6mom Lots of people gave you good advice on renting DVC points, I just wanted to give you a heads up there are currently NO full weeks available at Polynesian in either a Standard or Lake View Studio in November. So if you do decide to rent it won't matter if you go through someone here on DIS, David's or any other DVC rental agency - we all have access to the same availability and unless you are renting a confirmed reservation, no one will be able to make those nights appear.

Just to add...not sure why the package would cost more (did you go all the way through to see total prices with tax?) but IF you think there’s a chance you will need to cancel, book the package. The entire cost is refundable. If you book hotel and tickets separately and you cancel, you’ll be stuck with the tickets (which of course retain their value but you’ll be out over $1,000 stuck there).
And Pop is a great choice! The skyliner is awesome!

Just to add...not sure why the package would cost more (did you go all the way through to see total prices with tax?) but IF you think there’s a chance you will need to cancel, book the package. The entire cost is refundable. If you book hotel and tickets separately and you cancel, you’ll be stuck with the tickets (which of course retain their value but you’ll be out over $1,000 stuck there).
And Pop is a great choice! The skyliner is awesome!
I did go all the way through to the end. It is very odd to me! But that's a good point on the refundability (if that's a word). Thank you!

Here is a screen shot of the "compare offers", if anyone is interested ( i adjusted the date by one day because I remembered my husband has something here in town on the 15th, and it went up a little)

And here is a screen shot of ONLY the 6 day park tickets:

Does anyone see that I missed anything?

It's weird, right?

Best I can find out is that if you book it as a "package" then you get a little card (?) that is good for some discounts for a bunch of stores (maybe mostly in Disney Springs?) that we would probably never use :D

Side question: If I am very familiar with DTD, is there any need for me to go to Disney Springs (since it's not "right there" like it is at DL?) I mean, I enjoy shopping at World of Disney but it looks a bit far to make a trip just for that.

@ten6mom DVC point rental is something our family did many times before we actually bought DVC. I think it's a great way to stay deluxe but it's not something I'd recommend right now. It's been a total mess and I'm with @SouthFayetteFan, flexibility and ability to cancel and get your money back is key right now.

@ten6mom -I slept through all last night's discussion, but Wendow's comment above says it all. It's just not a great idea right now. There are some instances where I would consider it safe to rent, but those are not the cheap deals. It's highly unlikely any of the cheap deals are NOT distressed points. Distressed points are the high risk rentals, even if tied up in an existing reservation. In normal times, there is also risk, but right now is high risk.

Park days - I think 6 days is a minimum! Someone else already mentioned about how much cheaper it gets after 5 days. DLR limits tickets to 5 days but WDW allows 10 day tickets. We currently have AP's but in the past, we've always bought tickets and even though we go annually, we have never bought less than 7-day tickets. There is just so much to see and do and we still never get it all done! WDW actually has less rides than DLR (so weird to think about...) but everything takes longer to navigate at WDW (transportation & parks are much larger). It's also so nice to build in a resort day as @Judique mentioned. Or even two resort days, depending on length of stay. Resort hopping to eat and shop and check out the resort is a fav pastime for our family. However, what is allowed right now is kind of an unknown and you may need an ADR to visit a resort. Is that a deal breaker? If you'd be up for having a sit down meal anyways, then maybe not. *IF* resort hopping is allowed, I recommend the Poly in MK area and the entire EP area, which includes Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk. This is a super fun area to stay in if you can spend a bit more.

@Judique also mentioned staying at Swan & Dolphin. This is definitely worth considering as these are deluxe level hotels but owned and operated by Marriott. Prices will be in line with a Disney moderate hotel and they will receive Disney transportation of buses to all parks and boats to EP and DHS. They do not receive the Magical Express from the airport so you would need to take an Uber or Lyft. The resort fee is $34 a night, iirc, and not waived even on a points booking.

Christmas decorations would definitely be going up by Nov 15!!! It truly is a great time to go! So excited for you!

I did go all the way through to the end. It is very odd to me! But that's a good point on the refundability (if that's a word). Thank you!

Here is a screen shot of the "compare offers", if anyone is interested ( i adjusted the date by one day because I remembered my husband has something here in town on the 15th, and it went up a little)
View attachment 509010

View attachment 509011

It's weird, right?

Best I can find out is that if you book it as a "package" then you get a little card (?) that is good for some discounts for a bunch of stores (maybe mostly in Disney Springs?) that we would probably never use :D

Side question: If I am very familiar with DTD, is there any need for me to go to Disney Springs (since it's not "right there" like it is at DL?) I mean, I enjoy shopping at World of Disney but it looks a bit far to make a trip just for that.

By any chance did they add in trip insurance that you didn't uncheck?

They used to add some discounts to the package and a 'free' entry to mini golf or something but I haven't looked at packages in 2 - 3 years.(I always used to check small packages to add to my trips when the 2 day ones had stuff that worked.)

View attachment 509010

View attachment 509011

It's weird, right?

I don’t believe your $1341 includes tax. I get a higher total. Same dates, same room type

edit.. but I’m not sure that would be why anyway looking at the package price of $2826 with tax🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 5FA940D7-DD7A-4BB6-A58F-B9F0EA4C42E0.png
    5FA940D7-DD7A-4BB6-A58F-B9F0EA4C42E0.png
    106 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So, thinking on being Platinum and also doing a Disney trip:

Keeping part of my reservation at Boardwalk and extending my trip by using my free night certs at Swan (maybe) and at Gulf area hotels. I would have the 5 suite night awards to possibly use. Do the suite nights renew in January? I still have over half a million Marriott points and will have 2 of the 50K certs by trip time. (Have 1 now that's good until Jan 2021, so want to spend it.)

Any ideas where the combo of Platinum, plus suite nights plus points and certs might provide the best experience between the Disney area and the Gulf area? Other than Swan/Dolphin? I've had a junior suite at Swan in the past when they had a club level, but that's it. Has anyone stayed there with any kind of status recently and how did they treat you? I had always booked a basic non view room, and always got upgrades to balcony and view but it's been quite a while.

Right now, instead of borrowing, I'd like to steal some of my November points and use them to create a full week at Hilton Head in March 2021. I could cancel the whole November trip and be good to go for March, but there is something in me that wants to go for at least a few days at Disney. I'm thinking of keeping 4 nights out of 8 studio nights booked. I have Oct 31 through Nov 7 and then another night on Nov 9, I believe it is.

Without changing anything I could get a Hilton Head studio but I want a 2 bedroom so need to spend a few more points there. And I don't want to borrow into 2020. The spring Hilton Head reservation is my fall back if I don't go to Florida at all - I feel okay about being at this resort, can isolate and still enjoy viewing marsh and birds, can drive there in one day, cook in the room and do carry out and spend mornings on the beach when no one is there. A 2 bedroom so that there is plenty of space if anyone comes with me. I picked my 2 daughters vacation week from the college they work for, but haven't talked to them about it as the room is not completely booked yet. I almost made this a grand villa in January but the girls may have to stop working from home by then.

By any chance did they add in trip insurance that you didn't uncheck?

They used to add some discounts to the package and a 'free' entry to mini golf or something but I haven't looked at packages in 2 - 3 years.(I always used to check small packages to add to my trips when the 2 day ones had stuff that worked.)

I don't think so... I will double check it again!

I don’t believe your $1341 includes tax. I get a higher total. Same dates, same room type

edit.. but I’m not sure that would be why anyway looking at the package price of $2826 with tax🤷‍♀️

WEIRD!

OK so now that i'm about to drop a pretty substantial amount of money on this, I suppose it's time (well, now I'm too late) to look at a new card. Ugh I wish I hadn't given up a few months ago!!!

I don't think I got this answered before.

I have the fuel surcharges for the Japan trip ($500+ dollars) on a CIP that I've already received the SUB on (met the MSR back in January)

I couldn't tell you how much "over" the MSR I went (*hangs head in shame*), so when I get the refund on that $500, am I looking at a point clawback? Is there anything I can do to mitigate that at this point?

Also- does anyone know, if I want to book on Delta but using Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles (which should be instantly back in my account after I cancel that trip), is that a phone call or can it be done online somehow?

I don't think I got this answered before.

I have the fuel surcharges for the Japan trip ($500+ dollars) on a CIP that I've already received the SUB on (met the MSR back in January)

I couldn't tell you how much "over" the MSR I went (*hangs head in shame*), so when I get the refund on that $500, am I looking at a point clawback? Is there anything I can do to mitigate that at this point?
In the past there haven’t been reports of Chase claw backs, but you should put more spend on the CIP to bring you back up to the MSR...go through your old statements and add up what was spent....with the current situation things are changing all the time.

Last edited:
In the past there haven’t been reports of Chase claw backs, but you should put more spend on the CIP to bring you back up to the MSR...go through your old statements and add up what was spent....with the current situation things are changing all the time.
That's a great suggestion.. thank you. I went back and added the monthly balances for the 4 or so months I was using the card and it was actually close to $7K so I am good! Yay!

However, I am getting ready to cancel the hotel I had booked on Chase URs now and it's making me even sadder. Ugggggh this **** darn virus!! First world problems, I know. Sorry to rant.

View attachment 509010

View attachment 509011

It's weird, right?

The price for your room only is actually $1508.65. The lower price you saw under compare doesn't include tax. With the price including tax, if you add the separate ticket cost its $2610.09, which is within a few dollars of the package price. There is always a few dollar difference between package and doing everything separately.

The price for your room only is actually $1508.65. The lower price you saw under compare doesn't include tax. With the price including tax, if you add the separate ticket cost its $2610.09, which is within a few dollars of the package price. There is always a few dollar difference between package and doing everything separately.
Ohhhh ok thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter