I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try this and did it work? I'm trying to hit the free night on my Hilton Surpass but the offer showed on my Hilton Biz. The fine print says "Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases". Is $1k a bulk purchase?

I still have $10k to get the free night. I need to get back onto the horse with this. I've been slacking!
I'm going this morning. I'll report back after I do. I don't think $1k is a bulk purchase.

A few brief thoughts on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the month of AUGUST
Hello DISchurners friends and welcome to the month of August. If you're anything like me, you have no idea that it's August because you're still waiting for March Madness, the Masters, the NBA Finals, and a bunch of other things to happen before it could possibly be August...but I assure you, it is in fact AUGUST.

A bit of backstory on the CSR:
August has a very interesting history with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. You see, back in August 2016, the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (CSR) was released. Newer churners may not even remember a time before the CSR existed but to many long-time churners it was a defining point in churning history.

The CSR and it's all-time high bonus of 100,000 UR POINTS (yes you read that right) for just $4k MSR was indeed a game changer. What was once a fringe hobby suddenly got thrust in to the mainstream. People were talking about this new credit card and it's sign-up bonus worth $1,500 in free travel! A $450 annual fee seemed like a non-issue. This card, and its big-time bonus brought a bunch of people into the churning game and in my humble opinion, too many of them stuck around. What's done is done, and there's no sense in crying over spilled milk but the Pre-CSR churning days are thought of as the "good old days" by many a veteran churner.

Nonetheless, this new card came along...and attracted a ton of new people, BUT most churners at that time weren't going to be eligible because of that pesky 5/24 which at that time was still a fairly new concept (it first came along in mid-2015).

The LEAKED link:
Monday August 15th, 2016... I'll never forget it. Sometime during the Monday work day, a LIVE link for the CSR was found, and the card wasn't going to be released for another week. And even crazier...the link did NOT have a 5/24 restriction!!

I ALWAYS perused r/churning on Mondays... I was bored, it was Monday, you know the drill. Well this Monday...I didn't. I was busy...doing who knows what... by the time I caught my "T" home...the link was DEAD!

Close to a hundred of my friends on r/churning took advantage of the link in the couple of hours it was up. And then a week later, when the card was officially launched, 5/24 was in place, and everybody who missed out on the leaked link got denied.

For those that care to read a bit more here and here.

August 2017... The ONE Sapphire to rule them all.
On or around August 27th, 2017 - Chase implemented a new rule on the Chase Sapphire card lineup. As we all know now, the "one Sapphire rule" basically tied the bonus eligibility on the 2 cards together. If you earned a bonus on either Sapphire card in the past 24 months, you were now ineligible for a bonus on the other one. So all of those new CSR fans who thought, wow I could get some more URs by grabbing a CSP... were suddenly not able to do so. CSR holders clung to their card stating "My Precious!" (Ok that last part is a little Gollum humor)

August 2018... no CHURN for you!
AGAIN On August 27, now in 2018 (what a crazy coincidence), just weeks before people would officially be able to churn the CSR due to the 24 month restriction... Chase dropped a hammer on churners: 48 MONTH RESTRICTION on the Sapphire line. So now not only was the one sapphire rule in affect, but if you earned a sapphire bonus on either card in the past 48 months you were shut out! Support links lived on for another 3 weeks or so but then those were gone too.

Also in or around August 2018 is when rumblings started about the death of the double dip as Chase began manually closing cards that were applied for on the same day. Of course, as we know now, there still is the MDD which is alive and well to this day, but the death of the double dip was scary for many churners. You can read more about that here.

If you haven't been around this game long, you need to realize that we basically expect doom and gloom. There's a LOT of bad news in this game, lol. You just learn to roll with it!

TODAY... August 2020
So why write all of this now? Well, an interesting milestone is about to arise. Some unknown churner out there will soon be the first person to churn the CSR. If the earliest you could apply was 8/15/16 via a leaked link or 8/22/16 via public link, then even if you met your MSR immediately, that first statement close would not have occurred until Sept 2016 meaning 48 months would happen in Sept 2020. I wonder if there's somebody out there who grabbed a CSR via the leaked link and is still under 5/24 ready to be the first to churn the CSR??

If you're one of those early CSR applicants, it might be worth looking back to see when you earned your CSR bonus because you soon might be eligible for a new Sapphire card.

To be eligible for a CSP and/or CSR bonus here's what I believe are the restrictions:
  • Not currently a cardholder of a CS, CSP, or CSR (if you have one you can simply PC to a CF or CFU to get around this - you don't have to close the card).
  • 48 months have passed since you earned (and posted) any signup bonus on a Sapphire card.
I hope you enjoyed this little walk down memory lane. I am somewhat of a churning historian so it was fun to put this together!
This is great! Thank you.

I had a nice surprise email this morning from Delta. Back in April I had cancelled our flights for our Alaska Cruise as the cruise was cancelled. One way of the flights were paid with a combo points/cash. When I cancelled I got the points back but was told that the cash part was nonrefundable. Something must be going on on their end as I got an email saying I am getting $180 credit. I like emails like that, especially since I was not expecting a refund.

Did you try this and did it work? I'm trying to hit the free night on my Hilton Surpass but the offer showed on my Hilton Biz. The fine print says "Not valid for gift cards in bulk purchases". Is $1k a bulk purchase?

I still have $10k to get the free night. I need to get back onto the horse with this. I've been slacking!
Just got back from Staples and purchased VGC with my amex BBP and got the email for using the offer.

3 calls to chase later...1st I don't think he understood what I wanted to do and transferred me to a dept that couldn't help me. 2nd I had to diaconnect cause it was staticy and I couldn't her her. 3rd was able to help me but they couldn't transfer the 1k, it didn't say why but it said it wasn't available to move. So I cancelled it and she said the af would be refunded.

So I guess in Nov I have to hope they'll increase my 1 cip to 5k from 1k so I can pc it. Would've felt better with it at 2k but we'll see.

Well, it’s a good news/bad news/good news kind of day.

Good news. Power back on after 4 days. Didn’t expect it until Sunday night.

Bad news. Pretty much all my perishables are gone.

Good news. Uuuhhh, I get to use either 5x groceries on SW or pay yourself back on Reserve to replace all that stuff.

there is a specific way to do bulk purchases. IE it requires some forms to be filled out.
if your doing just regular purchasing via cash register, then its not Bulk.
No worries for u.

I know there's a few runners/walkers in here. Does anyone have a treadmill they recommend? I'm starting the search for a potential purchase but don't have much/any space so it would need to be small or fold up when not in use. I would run on it 2 to 4 days a week. I'd prefer something more sturdy than I imagine both of these options offer but as my mom already said she won't use it :-)confused3 she uses them at the gym but has never used any equip they bought for the house) so I don't want it in the way any more than it already will be.

I just know if I'm not comfortable going to work I won't be at the gym. And while I've enjoyed running outside that's going to wear off quick once it starta raining more, gets cold and gets dark at 4.

is there a way to know ahead of time what counts as home improvement store from Chase? I know Home Depot and Lowes count.... does Harbor Freight count?

Enjoying using the Hilton Resort Credit for restaurants on the Amex Aspire. I had used mine up last year and it reset a few weeks ago. Spent $35 at a local restaurant and received a $35 hilton resort credit and a $5 small business credit. :cool1:

There may be claw back risk to this, similar to when people used the Dell credit combined with the 10% off Amex Offer. Probably good to spend past the Hilton credit to cover the small business credits.

I know there's a few runners/walkers in here. Does anyone have a treadmill they recommend? I'm starting the search for a potential purchase but don't have much/any space so it would need to be small or fold up when not in use. I would run on it 2 to 4 days a week. I'd prefer something more sturdy than I imagine both of these options offer but as my mom already said she won't use it :-)confused3 she uses them at the gym but has never used any equip they bought for the house) so I don't want it in the way any more than it already will be.

I just know if I'm not comfortable going to work I won't be at the gym. And while I've enjoyed running outside that's going to wear off quick once it starta raining more, gets cold and gets dark at 4.
Treadmills, especially those that you'd want to last long-term, will most likely take up a fair bit of space. Have you given any thought to a Peloton for the days that you can't run outside? Or maybe contacting a local gym and see if they are renting out any treadmills (several gyms around are here renting out equipment for the short-term). If not a Peleton, then maybe those supports for the rear wheel of a bike that you can use to ride indoors in the winter?

Where I am everyone but Kroger seems to be on top of providing clean carts. Even Food Lion. Kroger leaves a variety of products out if you want to clean the cart yourself but no one standing by the carts and cleaning them. I have too many other options to deal with a store that I don't think is prioritizing cleaning. Unless I need a gift card!
Nobody around here is cleaning carts. And half them don't have any wipes or anything at the front. I was at 2 grocery stores yesterday plus Target and Walmart in the past couple weeks and Aldi a few weeks ago. Nothing.

Nobody around here is cleaning carts. And half them don't have any wipes or anything at the front. I was at 2 grocery stores yesterday plus Target and Walmart in the past couple weeks and Aldi a few weeks ago. Nothing.
No one is cleaning carts at any stores here on LI either...I have wipes in my car to use when shopping, pumping gas etc

Last edited:
Treadmills, especially those that you'd want to last long-term, will most likely take up a fair bit of space. Have you given any thought to a Peloton for the days that you can't run outside? Or maybe contacting a local gym and see if they are renting out any treadmills (several gyms around are here renting out equipment for the short-term). If not a Peleton, then maybe those supports for the rear wheel of a bike that you can use to ride indoors in the winter?

I don't bike, I only run. But we've got it figured out. We only have chain gyms around here, they aren't that helpful. Nice to know somewhere does it though.

No one is cleaning carts at any stores here on LI either...I have wipes in my car to use when shopping, pumping gas etc
I guess I’m spoiled. Publix is doing such a good job. And food lion even had someone outside making sure people have masks and offering masks if they don’t. And all their carts are cleaned. and both stores have people inside constantly wiping down door handles. And Publix cleans between every person at self checkout.

something good, and something odd:

Good: The AF has disappeared from the CIP that I closed via SM yesterday. Yay!

Odd: My Chase "home page" (??) lists all the business cards first, like usual, then the personal cards, like usual, and then after the personal cards there's an additional section that says "payment activity" and then under that it says "Business Card" (again!) and just lists the CIU... which is already listed up top in the first business card area.

Is anyone else's looking like that? I am pretty sure it has NOT been like that previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter