• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH has a Hilton FNC from a SUB on the Amex Hilton biz card. Soon I will have earned another FNC from spending >$15K. I have some really basic questions (possibly dumb?) on what it's worth and how to use it. When I called, the CS rep gave me the cert # for DH and the expiration date. He said it would work on any "standard night room." I asked him if it was restricted as to the value but he said no - any standard room. Is that right? (seems unlikely). He also said when booking a room online, I should type the cert # under promotion code. I forgot to ask him if I canceled the reservation, would I get my FNC back, lol. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about these type of FNC? Thanks!
I've always been told that you have to call in. There can be some outstanding values, like Times Square on New Years. There can be some dud's but you figure with just a little effort you can get $200-$300 in value. The strategy I've always seen is to look online for a room on points that says standard room reward, then call in to book it.

@ten6mom - regarding your question on DVC, in order to answer this I'm going to take you back to my buying experience with regard to price per point and cost of vacation home rooms, versus hotel rooms.

In 2000, points at BWV were $67 a point and the incentive in Nov 2000, was if staying at a Disney resort, they would credit 1/2 your room stay total to the purchase.

In addition to that, a couple of months earlier I became a Disney store part time cast member. I had been going to WDW for a dozen years (1988 first visit as an adult) and I was smitten. This job was very very limited, paid $6 an hour and they'd call you in for 2-4 hours 2 or 3 times a month on the weekends. Most part time employees were teachers, which is how I made my connection and got into it.

This gave me 15% off DVC bringing $67 to $56.95 in addition to the incentive from 1/2 my Polynesian room cost.

Dues at BWV in 2000 were $3.94 per point. A Sunday through Thursday studio cost 9 points in Adventure and Choice season. So after buy in, the room for 5 nights would cost 9 times 3.94 = $35.46 or for the 5 nights $177.30. The buy in added to this total also, but I want to make the important point that maintenance fees are the larger cost going forward. In contrast, my room at Polynesian was over $300 a night for the concierge building which I really loved and had a hard time giving up.

Fast forward to 2020. Now, prices for new resorts have tripled or quadrupled. Deluxe (that's questionable) Hotel rooms have also increased significantly. Dues in 2020 for BWV are $7.36 per point. Not quite double from my buy in point. And, occasionally I get a bigger room which costs more points.

For my situation (and for other BWV owners, reallocation - a tool that Disney frequently uses, has helped with that standard view studio. I almost never went on a weekend my first few years, as weekends were so much higher. 85 to 87 points for 7 nights versus 76 to 78 points after reallocation for 7 nights. So now, I'm staying longer, helped by Disney, plus adding more points and contracts at other resorts.

For me, it worked out really well.

For you or your sister, you deal with today's numbers and whether it will save you money. You have to analyse the cost over time and understand it won't stay the same. If you stay offsite happily and pay $100 a night now, are you willing to pay more for the onsite advantage? If you stay Grand Floridian CL level suites now, are you ready to take a cut in accommodation? (VGF are nice but so limited getting in is very difficult.)

Another factor is how long you plan to keep it. Lots of people do 5-10 years and are done. Others are 'lifers' like probably me.

It 'can' dip in price and cost less when you go to sell. In general most people have gotten their buy in money back on sale, but maintenance money is gone, as it should be.

I had toured quite a few timeshares before I bought - spent 3 years from learning it existed to pulling the trigger, making it a deliberate act for me. Just the viewing experience was light years apart in how timeshares are sold. Plus they bought me and 4 others in my party, lunch at Spoodles - now Trattoria Al Forno.

It's been a great ride for 20 years for me. I think the experience so much depends on what you want from it. I still get a little thrill pulling up to Boardwalk.

Question on points - I'm loving my new CSP and the 80,000 bonus points hit and I have the Freedom so I'm able to transfer points etc. etc. Have done PYB a few times and poked around on the travel portal. Still exploring my options there.

However - I also have Citi DC and have points there that I have no idea what's the best way to use them... do I need another Citi card to maximize? I use the DC a fair amount when I can't get 2% from any other card, so I'd like to be able to make the best use of those points, but honestly I don't see the big benefit of Citi cards. Can someone who loves Citi TYP tell me what to do lol. I'm at 5/24, but I guess I can apply for another Citi card right now if needed.

Looking for a new iPad (just the 8th gen, not Air) and Walmart currently has it at $395 (list $429). I checked Target, Sam's, Costco, Best Buy, noe are cheaper. With 5% on Discover or CFF, it comes to $375. Anyone think I'll find a better deal if I wait until actual Black Friday??

Question on points - I'm loving my new CSP and the 80,000 bonus points hit and I have the Freedom so I'm able to transfer points etc. etc. Have done PYB a few times and poked around on the travel portal. Still exploring my options there.

However - I also have Citi DC and have points there that I have no idea what's the best way to use them... do I need another Citi card to maximize? I use the DC a fair amount when I can't get 2% from any other card, so I'd like to be able to make the best use of those points, but honestly I don't see the big benefit of Citi cards. Can someone who loves Citi TYP tell me what to do lol. I'm at 5/24, but I guess I can apply for another Citi card right now if needed.
I use TYP for Disney tickets. I have Citi Premier and a Citi Sears with TYP. In the past few years, since Chase took away Disney from the portal, I have earned enough for 2 DLR tickets and currently still have over 100k TYP. They aren't as easy to earn since there aren't many cards that give a good sign up bonus. My Sears Card gets offers for anywhere from 5x-25x points in bonus categories but the Premier doesn't get much love.

Looking for a new iPad (just the 8th gen, not Air) and Walmart currently has it at $395 (list $429). I checked Target, Sam's, Costco, Best Buy, noe are cheaper. With 5% on Discover or CFF, it comes to $375. Anyone think I'll find a better deal if I wait until actual Black Friday??

Amazon has the 8th gen for $299. Depending on how much storage you need, that might be an option.

Im going to be PCing DH’s CSR to a CFF. Anything I need to know before I do so? We’ve got other premium cards, so continuing ability to use transfer partners isn’t an issue. But I’m wondering if there’s a way to use the $300 travel credit before I PC? Or will that anger the Chase gods?

Im going to be PCing DH’s CSR to a CFF. Anything I need to know before I do so? We’ve got other premium cards, so continuing ability to use transfer partners isn’t an issue. But I’m wondering if there’s a way to use the $300 travel credit before I PC? Or will that anger the Chase gods?
Nope, lots of people do it. Book a Disney room that requires a deposit and cancel. why Give away $300.

Amazon has the 8th gen for $299. Depending on how much storage you need, that might be an option.
I'm looking at the 128gb, which is $395 on Amazon as well as Walmart. My current iPad is 64 gb, so the 32 not an option.
I'm only hesitant because I know sometimes Black Friday deals are significant though Apple tends to be some of the lowest discounts out there.

I don't have a CSR presently, but is the bonus working on groceries too right now? If so, $300 gift card at the grocery store sounds like a win.

Nope, lots of people do it. Book a Disney room that requires a deposit and cancel. why Give away $300.
Or book a Disney room and go 😂😂. But if I do cancel, does the deposit amount get refunded to the CFF, and I still keep the travel credit??

The Citi Premier comes with a nice bonus and you can use your TYP at 1.25 cents per point through their travel department. This benefit goes away on 4/10/21, so hopefully you can earn and redeem quickly.

Target will price match Walmart. They are also starting their holiday price matching today. So maybe if it drops further they would make an adjustment.

I don't have a CSR presently, but is the bonus working on groceries too right now? If so, $300 gift card at the grocery store sounds like a win.
I thought that had ended, but I just looked and grocery stores count through the end of the year. Excellent suggestion, especially since my grocery store gives 2x fuel points on gift cards!!

For the DVC members here (and for those of you who have thought about DVC but chose not to):

This may sound dumb but what is the advantage to DVC over just regular hotel stays at whichever resort you choose? If I want to stay at the Grand Californian, as long as I can cough up the $700 a night to stay, I can stay. If I had DVC there and that was my home resort, I could also stay there as long as I could get a reservation (I hear it can be pretty tough at GCH sometimes) but I'd be paying the initial buy-in of about what... $20K? PLUS yearly maintenance fees, etc.

I've been mulling this over since my sister mentioned they were thinking about doing it, and I'm just trying to see what the advantages are. I feel like, if I have the money to spend on a vacation anyway, why not just book at whichever hotel I want and not have to worry about fighting for a reservation 11 months out.

Any feedback is appreciated (positive/negative).

I think how you vacation is just as an important factor as the money. For me, I like staying at pop. I like the location and I like the skyliner. If I could do dvc there I'd be all in. I'm not a huge fan of the locations of most dvc. I do like being able to walk to mk from the contemporary but I don't like that it shares busses. The boardwalk area is nice but really you're stuck walking to 2 parks because it's much quicker than the boats. And I know Riviera is on the skyliner but it doesn't thrill me, esp with the restrictions.

I know some will split stay and go to the parks closer to that resort but I like to hop and I don't want to limit myself to only two parks because I can walk there or something. It just really depends on how you vacation at wdw as much as the cost does.

Now for dlr I'd be most concerned with availability. But also there's lots of decent places off site you can walk from, so how much of an advantage would owning at the grand ca be. Esp when I could use points for a hyatt or marriott and walk. It again comes down to how you vacation and how far out you plan dlr trips.

I thought that had ended, but I just looked and grocery stores count through the end of the year. Excellent suggestion, especially since my grocery store gives 2x fuel points on gift cards!!

I'm waiting for kroger to do 4x fuel points on gc so I can get a $300 dis gc and be done with it.

This is what happens when you grocery shop at 7am to avoid people. Have hyatt for the extra grocery points, pulls out new hilton biz gotta meet msr. Walking to car, dammit I used the wrong card. Go to Safeway to get more apples (they've been so disapointing this year and we're the apple state) and visa gc. Ok I'll use the Hilton biz here. In the car on the way home, why didn't you use your gold to finish the msr abd for the extra grocery points. :sad2: The best laid plans.

I am going to order the instant pot air fryer lid from target today to finish up the big presents since they are price matching their sales starting today. I doubt it'll go on sale but am happy I don't have to wait this way. Just hope we like it.

Here is a question for those of you that use a MasterCard to pay your cellphone bill in order to get the insurance:

I have my ATT bill set to autopay using my CFF MC. My BOA debit card has an ATT offer - $35 back when I spend $15 twice. If I make two $15 payments using my debit card and pay the rest of the bill with my CFF autopay, will the cell phone insurance still be valid for the coming month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter