I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m planning a wdw trip for my husbands spring break week- and man disney resorts are expensive. We’re currently booked at AoA because I can’t stomach the price of the beach club that I really want.

Seems like I can book the swan reserve for 210,000 points for 5 nights. I’m about 1k points short, but I’d just transfer from UR most likely. Then we’d splurge on the last 2 nights at poly or grand Floridian or something or just pay cash for 2 more nights.

If I change my mind, and decide I want a Disney resort, I can cancel and get all my points back, right? I don’t want to do a point advance booking, I’m afraid it’ll go up a lot with the changes. Seems like a worthwhile use of 1k UR.

I put a question in the Dischurners "Discussion" thread about AA. Not sure if it's a topic for open discussion and decided to hide it 'just in case'. If anyone cares to check and has info to share, I'd much appreciate it.

WWYD? The 16yo is heading to TX to see her other fam (bffs) and probably try and see Harry Styles for the 3rd time <insert eyeroll> over thanksgiving. She's going to fly AA. If she gets stuck down there, she's not going to need trip interruption coverage, as she'll stay with them. And worse case, I'll try to get her on standby w/ Spirit if AA can't get her home.

I have 3 AA cards, and the CSR (which I might be cancelling and churning). Is there any reason to not use one of the AA cards? I'm thinking I'd rather get the AA points, vs the coverage on the CSR. Then again, I could just use my CIC #2 towards the spend too......

I know most like to use CSR/CSP for trip cancellation coverage. If her return got cancelled, and I did use the CSR (and still had it), does that cover a ticket on Delta if needed? I'm sure it would be $$$$$$$ Thanksgiving weekend last minute.

ETA: gotta love her little traveler spirit. She's like mom, there's a flight on Spirit, RT for only $180. It's 8 hours and has a stop. Ummm, sorry sweetie, I'm not about to let my 16yo connect on thanksgiving week. I love my BF and his company, but not about to have her stuck in FL, LOL.

Last edited:
So I’m planning a wdw trip for my husbands spring break week- and man disney resorts are expensive. We’re currently booked at AoA because I can’t stomach the price of the beach club that I really want.

Seems like I can book the swan reserve for 210,000 points for 5 nights. I’m about 1k points short, but I’d just transfer from UR most likely. Then we’d splurge on the last 2 nights at poly or grand Floridian or something or just pay cash for 2 more nights.

If I change my mind, and decide I want a Disney resort, I can cancel and get all my points back, right? I don’t want to do a point advance booking, I’m afraid it’ll go up a lot with the changes. Seems like a worthwhile use of 1k UR.

Sure, you'd get the points back. The UR will be stuck as Bonvoy, but I'd say it's worth it to get it locked in.

Keep an eye on it too, in case the one night that's peak goes down to standard.

Sure, you'd get the points back. The UR will be stuck as Bonvoy, but I'd say it's worth it to get it locked in.

Keep an eye on it too, in case the one night that's peak goes down to standard.

I mean I know the UR will be stuck as marriot, but it’s not exactly a huge amount. I have almost 400k UR, I can probably spare 1k lol.

Good idea on the watching. I doubt it will go down, but I will keep an eye on it

I am Globalist but when I chatted with Hyatt I was told I was only allowed to advance 1000 points or a minimal amount. I would need to essentially have all of the points to make the reservation. 😕
With @wanderlust7 contacting Concierge (is that what you did too, @Alexle2007 ?), that makes me wonder if Globalists who hit the 60 night milestone (and have Concierge) have access to that level of points advance, but the 30 night Globalists (2020-2021 promo) don't.

I mean I know the UR will be stuck as marriot, but it’s not exactly a huge amount. I have almost 400k UR, I can probably spare 1k lol.

This makes me wonder how people decide between accumulation and usage. 400k of UR seems like a lot (to me). We've had CSP (P1 and P2) for just about 2 years and have about 250k between us. Obviously part of each of those was the SUB. We have plans to travel to Ireland for 2 weeks in 2023 so my first thought was to just keep accumulating, but we also have travel plans this summer. I feel like I can't convince myself to use any points. (we don't dabble with Biz cards, so our total points across programs is probably lower than many)

Anyone want to share their accumulate/spend philosophy? :)

This makes me wonder how people decide between accumulation and usage. 400k of UR seems like a lot (to me). We've had CSP (P1 and P2) for just about 2 years and have about 250k between us. Obviously part of each of those was the SUB. We have plans to travel to Ireland for 2 weeks in 2023 so my first thought was to just keep accumulating, but we also have travel plans this summer. I feel like I can't convince myself to use any points. (we don't dabble with Biz cards, so our total points across programs is probably lower than many)

Well I haven’t traveled much since 2020. I cancelled a big trip Easter 2020 and got 170k ur back. Plus ive kept earning since them.

UR are my favorite point currency. You can use them for so much. I generally have trips planned out a few years in advance (at least mentally) but the past few years have mixed that up lol

Booked the NCL Prima for 2023! I'm such a sucker for new ships lol. Goes from Southampton to Bruges, Amsterdam, Norway, Iceland, and ends in Reykjavík. There are 2 ports in Iceland that we didn't get to on our land trip, so that's perfect.

I was able to get the Amex plat cruise perks added to my booking. It's $200 OBC for balcony and dinner for 2 at Le Bistro. First time using the program since I didn't know how it worked before. You don't have to book with Amex Travel, a TA that's part of the program can do it too. On Cruise Compete, I saw that the agency I was going to book with anyways listed that as something they can do. From what I gathered on the Cruise Critic forum, the entire amount needs to be paid with Amex, but not necessarily a plat. Not too sure about the deposit, I did end up putting it on a plat.
I just saw an Amex offer for $125 off $500 Norwegian Cruise Lines on my cards. Biz Plat, Schwab Plat, BCP. The vanilla Plat (15K MRs) & Gold (15K MRs). Can you use those toward your booking?

ETA - that sounds like a wonderful trip BTW

With @wanderlust7 contacting Concierge (is that what you did too, @Alexle2007 ?), that makes me wonder if Globalists who hit the 60 night milestone (and have Concierge) have access to that level of points advance, but the 30 night Globalists (2020-2021 promo) don't.

I contacted the Hyatt Concierge on Twitter. Anyone can contact them. We are Globalist lite and have no personal concierge.

I think @softballpooh just got an uninformed agent. The chat agents don't seem as knowledgeable as the Twitter team. My experience with the Twitter team has been great during working hours. Weekend response is a little slower and not quite as good.

WWYD? The 16yo is heading to TX to see her other fam (bffs) and probably try and see Harry Styles for the 3rd time <insert eyeroll> over thanksgiving. She's going to fly AA. If she gets stuck down there, she's not going to need trip interruption coverage, as she'll stay with them. And worse case, I'll try to get her on standby w/ Spirit if AA can't get her home.

I have 3 AA cards, and the CSR (which I might be cancelling and churning). Is there any reason to not use one of the AA cards? I'm thinking I'd rather get the AA points, vs the coverage on the CSR. Then again, I could just use my CIC #2 towards the spend too......

I know most like to use CSR/CSP for trip cancellation coverage. If her return got cancelled, and I did use the CSR (and still had it), does that cover a ticket on Delta if needed? I'm sure it would be $$$$$$$ Thanksgiving weekend last minute.

ETA: gotta love her little traveler spirit. She's like mom, there's a flight on Spirit, RT for only $180. It's 8 hours and has a stop. Ummm, sorry sweetie, I'm not about to let my 16yo connect on thanksgiving week. I love my BF and his company, but not about to have her stuck in FL, LOL.

It's hard to say what AA points will be worth once they remove the award chart. I still get great value out of Delta, despite its dynamic pricing. That would be the only reason to hold off on stockpiling more AA; play a wait and see approach. If you still have an MSR to hit and don't care about trip insurance, I'd definitely go with the CIC #2.

Also, GO BLUE, BEAT STATE!

I just saw an Amex offer for $125 off $500 Norwegian Cruise Lines on my cards. Biz Plat, Schwab Plat, BCP. The vanilla Plat (15K MRs) & Gold (15K MRs). Can you use those toward your booking?

ETA - that sounds like a wonderful trip BTW

Thanks for the heads up! It can be used on our existing booking. Unfortunately, I can't find it on any of our cards. 😭 I'm really starting to wonder if we don't get targeted because we've used similar offers for the same cruise line before. We didn't get any of the recent Carnival offers either. DS can be added as AU soon, hopefully his account can be a fresh start.

On the bright side, while checking for it saw that DH got targeted for a 20k pay over time offer! That takes the sting out lol.

I earn and burn slowly. I don't churn, but I put almost all daily spend and bills on various credit cards, depending on which cards earn most points at any given time. I have:

CSP
CFF
CFU (P2's card which we both use)
Disney - hardly use it
Amex Every Day
Discover IT

I use my URs and MRs exclusively for travel. I use the Discover cash back to pay the AF for the CSP. After that, the rest is used exclusively for travel. I had over 100K URS before August. But used about half for a Disney Trip (park tix and spending money - gift cards with PYB when it was for grocery stores). I also used almost all of my MRs and Discover IT cashback for that trip. Now I am in accumulation mode for the next trip. I don't build up my stash as quickly as those that churn, but it adds up over the months. I also don't travel as much as many here do. I have not interest in churning or keeping up with multiple cards, beyond what I already have. So this works for me.

I prefer URs over MRs but use my cards pretty equally, depending on bonus categories. The CFF and Amex are being used the most right now, followed by the CFF.

That's a great question and I'll bite...

I historically am an earn and burn and earn person. I'm a Delta captive so Skymiles seem to just...evaporate (lol). That said, with travel being odd, this year I had a random goal for MRs and recently accomplished that (then immediately transferred to BA, KLM and Delta and of course a chunk of Delta disappeared :rotfl: ).

So, especially since AmEx passes along the tax on domestic carrier miles, I try to never transfer MRs to DL unless I have >165K (since the tax charged is capped at $99-yes, a bit spiteful I'll admit), so I'm perpetually working on having at least 200K in Amex MR at any time (right now it's at a sad, sad 11K).

Skymiles I don't really stockpile unless I know I have a flight to arrange within a few months, but I do like to have enough on hand for an emergency flight to CA (ILs live there and are old) or MA (DD is in school there), so maybe around 50K in either my stash, DH's or DD's (I have access to them all).

United is similar to Delta, although I have a (much larger) stash from cancelled flights in 2020.

URs are definitely valuable and I usually try to keep enough for last minute hotel or flight transfers. Since I have enough United miles, normally I'd transfer them all to Hyatt but right now I'm pretty solid on Hyatt so they're just hanging out in my account (well, except for the PYB I just used on my newest Away carry on, lol).

Marriott-I like to keep around 50-100K for last minute trips, whereas I'm a Hyatt girl who loves Miraval so I like to keep at least 3 nights there in a stash.

I also have a composition notebook with travel dreams and the programs best suited for accomplishing them (usually 2-4 if possible), with an estimate of points/miles necessary. For instance, before I flew to Australia, I knew I wanted to fly in business or first class. At the time it looked like I'd need the following- United-goal of 400K miles, Delta-goal of 1 Million (laughable I know), 500K in MRs via Virgin Australia and American 110-220K miles. With this outline, I was able to pivot away from United and Delta miles to fly to Australia in First Class on Qantas via American miles (220K total 1 way for 2 in first) and then back in Virgin Australia for 253,604 MRs total (390,160 before the 35% biz plat rebate 1 way for 2 in business).

TL;DR-

I balance the juggling act of draining some programs while replenishing others.
I try to keep a minimum of 50-100K in most accounts-I've found that will cover emergencies and then as my travel plans evolve, I can put my energy toward accrual of the program necessary for my next trips.

Paying bills suck! I never carry a balance, (obv) but I've been floating a few cards that have 0% right now. I normally have my due dates/pay dates balanced pretty well, but all these new cards, and MSR, have the balance off. I know eventually it all balances out, and I can move things if needed. I had to pull $1500 from savings, but at least it wasn't really from over spending. It was to cover things like the new dishwasher. They apple watch I "splurged" on. etc. I did get $550 from my parents for my bday this week. They both demanded I spend it on me. So I can tell my dad he bought my watch, LOL.

The good news is, the 0% card I've been floating my divorce on, expires this month. I'm going to pay the remaining balance off. So I will try to keep sending that $200 to savings, since my budget is used to that monthly. And build back up my savings. Or send it to those other 0% cards to pay those off, and then to savings (I like sending to savings, and then just paying off the cards when it expires if need be....I'm not spending on them right now).

Budget car rental is over $100 cheaper for an SUV for our trip next month. We almost always use Alamo. Anyone use Budget? I really like the option to pick my own vechicle( especially since I’m looking to buy a new SUV this year and can pick something on my possible list)
But saving almost $150 for a car we use like 20 minutes a day sounds pretty good.

I almost always use Budget (via costco). Never had issues.

I'm also saving for Ireland 2023. I've got about 400k URs working on another 75k right now. I've mostly been saving my URs for Ireland. I frequently use my AA miles, and my IHG miles. I use Hilton here and there. Using any points does seem to hurt, LOL. I'm sure I'll use some if we do Hawaii next summer, and for sure, for Ireland. And then it'll be working on building them back up!

I will say, my entire attack MIGHT change in a few years. My current "plan" is to possibly retire from teaching in 2024. At that point I would still need to work and I've thought seriously about becoming a FA. If I did that, flights would be "covered" more often than now, LOL. But I'm sure I'd still want to earn hotels, etc.

It's hard to say what AA points will be worth once they remove the award chart. I still get great value out of Delta, despite its dynamic pricing. That would be the only reason to hold off on stockpiling more AA; play a wait and see approach. If you still have an MSR to hit and don't care about trip insurance, I'd definitely go with the CIC #2.

Also, GO BLUE, BEAT STATE!
I'm not drinking Jimbo's Kool-Aid. I'm hoping we get the W, but I'm very apprehensive. I like to use my AA miles to fly into tiny airports in NC. I can't see those flights going too crazy! They were always on the reduced mileage lists, but they got rid of that perk. WAAAHHH! I'm hoping I can still snag them for lower points! That's like my annual solo vacation, LOL.

I'm also saving for Ireland 2023. I've got about 400k URs working on another 75k right now. I've mostly been saving my URs for Ireland. I frequently use my AA miles, and my IHG miles. I use Hilton here and there. Using any points does seem to hurt, LOL. I'm sure I'll use some if we do Hawaii next summer, and for sure, for Ireland. And then it'll be working on building them back up!

From what I can tell, if you're flying from the major US cities on the east coast direct to Dublin, you can get a Aer Lingus regular seat for as little as 26k avios points round trip if it's not peak (peak is 40k RT) and points can be transferred from UR. For awhile I thought I'd like to hoard points and upgrade to Biz class, but for a 6 hour flight, economy should be fine. That would also not put a huge dent in our UR -- and I have been considering the Chase Aer Lingus card for MSR of 5k/3 months for 100k avios. That would cover our flights and leave my UR alone.

I've yet to book any travel thru the UR portal, but there seems to be a fair amount of hotels/B&Bs in Ireland listed. Given our plans, there's no real chain hotels for options (which is fine/lovely). We originally thought we'd want to fly into Shannon based on our plans, but it seems Covid has changed the routes so much and there is some thought that it may never return to the same level of service/routes.

I kind of got 'inspired' to travel hack when we got 2 rooms for 2 nights in NYC in early December via my Marriott points a few years ago. I'm very slow at this so far, but I've definitely made use of a lot of SW rewards as well.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I've got my next moves mapped out, but a big expense we expected this fall did not materialize (not complaining), so that changed some of the plans for SUBs just a bit.

From what I can tell, if you're flying from the major US cities on the east coast direct to Dublin, you can get a Aer Lingus regular seat for as little as 26k avios points round trip if it's not peak (peak is 40k RT) and points can be transferred from UR. For awhile I thought I'd like to hoard points and upgrade to Biz class, but for a 6 hour flight, economy should be fine. That would also not put a huge dent in our UR -- and I have been considering the Chase Aer Lingus card for MSR of 5k/3 months for 100k avios. That would cover our flights and leave my UR alone.

I've yet to book any travel thru the UR portal, but there seems to be a fair amount of hotels/B&Bs in Ireland listed. Given our plans, there's no real chain hotels for options (which is fine/lovely). We originally thought we'd want to fly into Shannon based on our plans, but it seems Covid has changed the routes so much and there is some thought that it may never return to the same level of service/routes.

I kind of got 'inspired' to travel hack when we got 2 rooms for 2 nights in NYC in early December via my Marriott points a few years ago. I'm very slow at this so far, but I've definitely made use of a lot of SW rewards as well.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I've got my next moves mapped out, but a big expense we expected this fall did not materialize (not complaining), so that changed some of the plans for SUBs just a bit.

My 16yo wants business class at a minimum, LOL. She's born on St. Patrick's Day. So this is the big 1-8 in Ireland to celebrate it all. As I've told her, she probably doesn't want to spend her 21st in Ireland w/ her mom, LOL. But I will look into the avios route for sure. I've been slacking on trying to plan all of this! I might have my mom open the Chase card as she's sitting at 2/24, where I am 4/24. And I want to do a MDD at some point. LOL.

I think the Biz is like 50k avios one way? Or at least it was. Nothing is showing but economy when I've sampled 2022 flights to get an idea.

I'm mostly Irish and got married on 3/16 (the 17th didn't work) and have always wanted to go to Ireland. So 2023 will (hopefully) be the year.

A 3/17 birthday would be very fun!!

My 16yo wants business class at a minimum, LOL. She's born on St. Patrick's Day. So this is the big 1-8 in Ireland to celebrate it all. As I've told her, she probably doesn't want to spend her 21st in Ireland w/ her mom, LOL. But I will look into the avios route for sure. I've been slacking on trying to plan all of this! I might have my mom open the Chase card as she's sitting at 2/24, where I am 4/24. And I want to do a MDD at some point. LOL.
My wife has been in Dublin for St. Patrick's Day. She told me it's a much bigger deal in St. Paul, New York and Chicago than it is in Dublin. Of course the drinking age in Ireland is 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter