I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We started with the Performance biz bc it has the higher MSR $5k for 80,000 points. That way it will be harder to accidentally meet MSR in 2021. Then we'll app for the Premier biz with the 3k MSR for 60k points.

Originally I was planning for the second app in mid Dec but I see the support links say expiring Dec 1. Anyone know if the Premier biz bonus is more than usual right now? I'd rather not push the spacing.
Those are the standard SUBs for business cards, they'll be there after 12/1. Only the personal SUBs will change.

Have you considered paying for it with Disney gift cards? Even just buying them at Target with a RedCard will get you 5% off, and there’s lots of other ways to get even better discounts. (Check out the disney gift card to thread!)
Both Sam's and BJs are having a sale on gc's for Black Friday. Raise has 4% off today- but they are sold out of Disney. Before our Disney trips I always amass thousands in Disney gift cards to pay for room, tickets and food. If you do it right and use a shopping portal, you can save between 10 and 15%. That's a way better return than on a CSR at 3% for travel. There are other ways to save- but I think the rules of fight club apply to MS: The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club.

Hi all, I came across this thread about a year ago I think and became intrigued by traveling with points. My wife and I already had Delta AMEX cards, and had taken a couple free flights as a result of msr bonus points along with our daughter. Since joining here, I added a Choice Hotel rewards card last summer that I met my msr while visiting Disneyland for a week, then got a Chase Sapphire to pay kids private school tuition and just hit the msr.

This week, we decided to take a Christmas points trip to Disney World! It won't be all paid with points, but we got 3 flights for 60k total, 20k per person, traveling Sunday Dec 19 - Saturday Dec 25. We weren't super excited about a Christmas day flight home but it's not til 6pm, so figured what the heck, if it saves us 30k points but not going back Sunday, let's do it! We booked Clarion hotel just south of Animal Kingdom. For 6 nights, 72k points. We still have 30k+ points, so might get another 3 nights out of it, thinking Disneyland again next summer. And the Chase Sapphire I have 100k points, which should pay for a little more than half of the park tickets. So our expenses will be less than half the park tickets, rental car and food! We didn't plan until after 60day window passed and Candlelight Packages were released, but was fortunately able to find a random lunch on the 23rd at Biergarten with the package for a 7pm show time, which will be fun. I kinda would have preferred Christmas Eve, but still excited. Also got Hollywood and Vine for Friday night and Tiffins Christmas day. We'll get 6-7 hours in the park on Christmas before our flight, so that should be fun.

I was trying to talk DW into the Christmas party on the 21st, but that unfortunately sold out before we decided, so it was decided for us. We get in too late on the 19th to be able to go that night, so now we're going to 4 parks in 4 days. I don't think we'll want to hit MK after traveling all day Sunday and I don't want to go on party day as I don't think they have the Enchantment show those nights and I'm kinda hoping they continue the tradition of bringing the Christmas party entertainment to the daytime after the last party.

anyway, just wanted to share a churning success story! I think next we'll look at a Marriott card so we can stay at the swan or dolphin next time.

Thanks for sharing your travel hacking success! Love that you scored such great finds over an incredibly expensive time of year.

Disney is so magical at the holidays.

My CFF missing charges finally showed up! Hoping it recognizes my Best Buy purchase since my Best Buy chase offer has since expired.

I'm currently sitting at my car dealership and need to get a bunch of routine maintenance done on my X3. I knew my tires were nearing the end of their life and they told me they would recommend replacing them before the winter. $$$$ flying out the window. Wish I had another SUB to put this on!
My Walgreens showed up too. No credit showing as of yet…

Do you or someone else care to share what "OTA control of your reservation" means?
OTA= Online Travel Agent. Expedia, Hotels.com,Travelocity etc. When a reservation is made through those websites that particular company is now your online travel agent, and in order to make any modifications or cancellations you have to go through that company. You can’t contact the hotel directly for changes to the reservation. You also typically don’t earn any hotel/airline loyalty program rewards with those bookings. You are also subject to the cancellation and refund policies of the OTA and not the hotel/airline. Sometimes these things can make a difference when considering your particular booking.

What's the latest on in-branch offers for CSP? Do they still have the 100K offer? My in-laws finally said they wanted it but now my referral link doesn't show that offer

Hi all, I came across this thread about a year ago I think and became intrigued by traveling with points. My wife and I already had Delta AMEX cards, and had taken a couple free flights as a result of msr bonus points along with our daughter. Since joining here, I added a Choice Hotel rewards card last summer that I met my msr while visiting Disneyland for a week, then got a Chase Sapphire to pay kids private school tuition and just hit the msr.

This week, we decided to take a Christmas points trip to Disney World! It won't be all paid with points, but we got 3 flights for 60k total, 20k per person, traveling Sunday Dec 19 - Saturday Dec 25. We weren't super excited about a Christmas day flight home but it's not til 6pm, so figured what the heck, if it saves us 30k points but not going back Sunday, let's do it! We booked Clarion hotel just south of Animal Kingdom. For 6 nights, 72k points. We still have 30k+ points, so might get another 3 nights out of it, thinking Disneyland again next summer. And the Chase Sapphire I have 100k points, which should pay for a little more than half of the park tickets. So our expenses will be less than half the park tickets, rental car and food! We didn't plan until after 60day window passed and Candlelight Packages were released, but was fortunately able to find a random lunch on the 23rd at Biergarten with the package for a 7pm show time, which will be fun. I kinda would have preferred Christmas Eve, but still excited. Also got Hollywood and Vine for Friday night and Tiffins Christmas day. We'll get 6-7 hours in the park on Christmas before our flight, so that should be fun.

I was trying to talk DW into the Christmas party on the 21st, but that unfortunately sold out before we decided, so it was decided for us. We get in too late on the 19th to be able to go that night, so now we're going to 4 parks in 4 days. I don't think we'll want to hit MK after traveling all day Sunday and I don't want to go on party day as I don't think they have the Enchantment show those nights and I'm kinda hoping they continue the tradition of bringing the Christmas party entertainment to the daytime after the last party.

anyway, just wanted to share a churning success story! I think next we'll look at a Marriott card so we can stay at the swan or dolphin next time.

Have a great trip!

For the Bonvoy cards, the offers are low at the moment, so you'll want to wait until they're back up. There are some convoluted application rules, but if you've never had their cards before, then basically you choose to go down the Chase track with the Boundless, or the Amex track with the Brilliant or Bonvoy biz.

Bonvoy also recently announced that they're getting rid of their award chart and going to dynamic pricing. Who knows what the point value will be in the future. It goes into effect March, though point values will be capped at the peak rate for next year (so that would be 60k for the Swolphin).

AMEX dining credits having issues again this month? Octobers I got the email immediately. I just used 2 of the 3 today for November and got no emails.

What's the latest on in-branch offers for CSP? Do they still have the 100K offer? My in-laws finally said they wanted it but now my referral link doesn't show that offer

It might be worth it to give your branch a call to ask. When I was at Chase on 10/26/2021 the 100K offer was still available and the banker seemed to indicate that they get a heads up (of a few days) if the offer is going away so that they can warn and help their clients. It is also good to schedule an appointment to go in, although, not necessary. Depends on how busy it is when you arrive and if you are willing to wait. Good luck!

I can't remember if all the global entry talk lately was about new or renewal. I had been thinking of signing up for it instead of my nexus, but I woke up to an email from them saying I could renew and realized it expires in May, I thought it was 2023. So I went ahead and renewed for $50 and we'll see how long it takes. Unsure if I have to do an interview as I've read both it's not necessary and that it will be. But it also says it's delayed so I'll continue to get to use it for an additional 24 months past expiration, unless it renews before it expires.

I realize there's no reason to hold both, but I am thinking at some point it would make sense to switch to GE because I have more than one CC that would cover the fee and I don't think I cross the border often enough to not get hassled when using it from previous experience.

I was thinking I'd do GE now too, just so they are both in process in case Canada decides they no longer like me for some reason :rotfl2: How long have applications taken lately? I know I'll have to do an interview for it, but I'm just curious if I'm looking at 4 weeks, 4 months etc.

Okay just making sure do do this all correct before I cancel the CSR.....

1- I can use the $300 travel credit at the grocery store and get that as my travel credit, correct?
2- I have the OG Freedom, If I PC to a CFF I can get a SUB later if I want, correct? What card would you PC to?
3- Could I PC to another OG freedom, in case I want to upgrade my current OG freedom back to a CSR if needed? (and bypass the rumored year, both others have said not true anyways)
4- Does anyone know, can I use the CSR travel protection when traveling non-rev/buddy pass/ZED fare? The fine print doesn't seem to necessarily say no. I know when flying on those tickets, you get reimbursed for the flights, but I'm more thinking if I didn't make a flight (since you're stand by) and I had to get a hotel for the night. So I'd still be using the ticket, but on a flight the next day. I've asked on FB and in my pilot wife groups, mixed answers, LOL.
5- If I PC, the URs transfer to the new card, right? I have the bulk of my URs on my CSR right now. I could always transfer to one of my other cards.

Next up on trying for a retention offer is the CSR and the AAviator. So we'll see.

Ending today- 10% off coupon for gift cards (includes Disney) at Meijer. Clip the digital coupon in the Meijier app. Up to $50 savings (so $500 gc).
I have a $10 off VGC too! Which is nice! Since I'm working on my CIC#2 spend. But it looks like the 10% GC offer is on other GCs. Now the debate is, taking the Disney leap now or not....since I'm not 100% sure we're going to Disney in the spring.

My CFF missing charges finally showed up! Hoping it recognizes my Best Buy purchase since my Best Buy chase offer has since expired.

I'm currently sitting at my car dealership and need to get a bunch of routine maintenance done on my X3. I knew my tires were nearing the end of their life and they told me they would recommend replacing them before the winter. $$$$ flying out the window. Wish I had another SUB to put this on!
I saw an Amex Offer on Goodyear tires. Think it was $50 off of $250. Combine that with the deals that come around from time to time which used to be around $200 off of 4 tires

ETA: the deals like $200 off of 4 tires come as a rebate from the tire dealer/warehouse club (assuming they still offer this occasionally)

Last edited:
4- Does anyone know, can I use the CSR travel protection when traveling non-rev/buddy pass/ZED fare? The fine print doesn't seem to necessarily say no. I know when flying on those tickets, you get reimbursed for the flights, but I'm more thinking if I didn't make a flight (since you're stand by) and I had to get a hotel for the night. So I'd still be using the ticket, but on a flight the next day. I've asked on FB and in my pilot wife groups, mixed answers, LOL.

I would think the fact you are flying standby and not on a confirmed ticket, and there not being enough seats on the plane isn't a covered reason. You aren't delayed because of one of their reasons, you're delayed due to the ticket you have and there not being space. It's a risk you take flying that way and I would just budget for each trip the $ for a room and roll it to the next trip if you don't need it. The other way to look at it, the airline isn't going to put you up for this either as it's not of their doing.

Well I just saw that the Amex Delta Plat Biz has an elevated offer that ends 11/10. Amex has hated me....but I have wanted this card for awhile (I've had the gold and have the gold biz now). I've been given upgrade offers a few times, but I've wanted to get it outright.

I have about $4k more on my CIC spend. And I have the Amex retention offer on the Surpass, plus if I can spend $8k I also get another FNC. So I'm torn on adding another $3k spend to my plate. And I don't know if Amex even likes me.

Does anyone have experience using the companion ticket that comes with it? My friend says it's not a pain to use. Though do you have to wait for the 1st year to get it?

UGH.....do I make the jump? the 90K offer isn't THE highest (looks like it was 95k back in August). But it is a pretty high offer. And Delta miles are good considering the BF prefers to fly Delta, LOL.

I would think the fact you are flying standby and not on a confirmed ticket, and there not being enough seats on the plane isn't a covered reason. You aren't delayed because of one of their reasons, you're delayed due to the ticket you have and there not being space. It's a risk you take flying that way and I would just budget for each trip the $ for a room and roll it to the next trip if you don't need it. The other way to look at it, the airline isn't going to put you up for this either as it's not of their doing.

That does make sense I guess. I was looking at it more as space not available possibly getting the coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter