I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Curious what folks do…when you buy trip insurance for a single trip and you need to estimate the value of the trip, do you account for reward flights based on what would have been the approximate cash price? Thanks.
What I've been told previously by the insurance company that issued my single trip policy is that the OOP money to redeposit mile/points is what they would reimburse. But otherwise reward flights don't have a cash value assigned to them. This may differ from one insurance company to another. This issue is definitely one that's a thorn to award redemptions, and if anyone has had to deal with this I'm really interested to hear about their experience. I would definitely use a CSP/CSR to pay for the taxes & fees portion of the award ticket just to have some additional travel protection.

Curious what folks do…when you buy trip insurance for a single trip and you need to estimate the value of the trip, do you account for reward flights based on what would have been the approximate cash price? Thanks.
I only insure the cost of non-refundable items and the cost of re-depositing miles thankfully all the flights we’ve ever booked using miles have been refundable.
For Japan i only insured $2,000 per person, cost of theme park tickets, and the one bullet train that we are buying 21 days in advance. For us the main concern is medical emergency and emergency evacuation. So it really depends on what you want to insure.

What I've been told previously by the insurance company that issued my single trip policy is that the OOP money to redeposit mile/points is what they would reimburse. But otherwise reward flights don't have a cash value assigned to them. This may differ from one insurance company to another. This issue is definitely one that's a thorn to award redemptions, and if anyone has had to deal with this I'm really interested to hear about their experience. I would definitely use a CSP/CSR to pay for the taxes & fees portion of the award ticket just to have some additional travel protection.

I think it's important to consider more than that. Not sure who all was around but @calypso726 was able to use her ins to cover their flights back from Japan when they had to leave early due to a typhoon and they booked rt award flights to start and then bought the return in biz or f. This is part of why I put my coverage more in line with what it could cost in cash but not fully. But what if I do need to get home. Could I do it in economy, sure, do I have to, maybe not.

Also don't rememeber if/what she's said she used for determining her coverage amount. But it's not just cancelling or med emergencies that need to be considered. Not just typhoons but earthquakes that could impact places like Japan.

I just spoke to someone at insuremytrip this week. They won't cover the flights if they are on points (whether or not you want to pay more for the insurance) so we don't include them. I do include things like seat assignment fees (thanks, BA and now AF) and taxes, plus I add in some extra for things I haven't booked yet but I plan to in the future. I find it all quite complicated so I'm definitely not the expert here.

Just approved for the Amex Marriott Biz card through DHs personal Gold increased support offer of an additional 5x grocery. Can’t wait to earn 9x on groceries for the next 3 months. Also added DD as an AU for an extra 5k/$2k spend, which also gets the 9x. So I’ll do the first $2k on her card. Should be able to get a nice stash of MR. Oh and a few Bonvoy points 😜 probably a couple of nights if I’m lucky.

You shouldn’t once there’s a link but it seems broken for some people. U can transfer from my biz cards to my personal cards and DHs CSR.
I cannot get this working anymore. Pain in the butt. I just SM them when I want them to transfer points.

I really hate taxes. The process is so complicated and I honestly never have confidence that I've done it correctly despite my best efforts. I have a K1 (and this year my company filed for an extension so I have to file for an extension--yippee). Then DD had a small college fund that my dad set up as a UMTA. So I have to pay taxes on the capital gains at my tax rate. It's all good. I so appreciate the help with college. But actually doing her taxes is annoying. Because she's 19 not 20 she didn't qualify for free federal filing from TaxAct and I was too lazy to re-do them so I spent > $100 on TaxAct plus $230 on H&R Block for me. Also she worked in VA and GA and I didn't know if I was supposed to allocate the capital gains between the two states but I just decided that since VA was her permanent home, I was doing VA taxes and ignoring GA (small amount of income). Good news is all of the capital gains taxes have been paid for her. Bad news is DS has the same type of account and against my better judgment heads to college (out of state--so glad I paid for both kids to have eight semesters of in state tuition) in the fall so now I can do his taxes for the next two or three years.

I arrived in Brussels without any issue. I really, really love train travel in Europe.

Walked to the Marriott Grand Place, my home for what was supposed to be 3 nights. Turned out to be 1 night — for the first time I think ever I left the hotel and checked into the Dominican, a Marriott Design Hotel. The room was nice, clean, spacious with a separate shower. Perfect it seemed. So I unpacked and headed out to walk around town for a few hours. The location seemed fine, minus the 5 homeless people that lived 5‘ from the main entrance of the hotel. When I got back to the hotel dead tired after dinner, I was in bed ready for sleep when my neighbors in the adjoining room came back for the night. Oh boy. The weren’t loud, but I could hear every.single.word that they spoke. I jumped when they dropped something on the floor. I heard their room phone ring 3 separate times. It was terrible and as I have mentioned before I need a quiet room to sleep. I tried my ear plugs, but they weren’t enough. Then the sirens started every 10 or so minutes. Then crowds from local bars started to get very loud. And on and on. I could.not.sleep because it was way too noisy. I called the front desk but my room phone was broken (had to use my cell phone). I simply asked if I could be moved the next day to a quiet room, but they wouldn’t give me a straight answer.

The next morning I had planned to visit Neuhaus (high-end chocolate Belgian company) factory outlet just outside of town. Before I left I had breakfast at the hotel and it was a free-for-all. Basically fend for yourself because no staff anywhere to be seen and mobs of people. Food was okay, nothing special. I had cereal, fruit and yogurt. Would have liked a cup of decaf but no staff to ask and the machine that guests were supposed to use had a line of 20 people. Glad that I don’t need caffeine in the morning, but if I did I would’ve just gone to a cafe and purchased it rather than line up for 10 or so minutes.

Forgot to mention the hotel only had 1 working elevator (of 3). They have 222 rooms and were sold out the night that I was there. Room service also used this elevator. Couldn’t find any stairs, but not sure if I would‘ve loved climbing up and down 5 flights to get to my room.

Next day when I returned from Neuhaus I asked the front desk if I could move to a quiet room. The CSR responded “we are a city center hotel”, so I asked if that was supposed to mean that they don’t have quiet rooms? They said they didn’t say that. I don’t like to play word games, they either have quiet rooms or they don’t. They said they didn’t know if I could move rooms until guests check-out and that would be after 1:00pm. I didn’t want to wait, so asked what the penalty would be if I left. I know that my sleep is more important than anything else and I could not deal with the attitude (rude) of the front desk. They said no penalty, so I packed up and left. I had gone to see the Dominican on my way back to the Marriott, asked if they had any quiet rooms (they are also in a busy area), they showed me an Exec. Room facing an interior courtyard and agreed to hold it for me.

I love the Dominican. The staff is AMAZING, the location much better (no homeless people living just outside the front door of the hotel) and the breakfast, while busy, is managed so much better. It is just more my vibe. The cost difference is $25/night. I realize that the Marriott is located in a grittier area of city center and can’t believe that the hotel doesn’t do something to make the homeless people move elsewhere — it’s a blight on them for sure.

It’s such a shame about the Marriott because I did like the room — it was newly refurbished and spacious. But I need my sleep and the staff refused to commit to moving me to a quiet room. I should mention that I had called the Marriott ahead of time and messaged them from the train, specifically requesting a quiet room.

Heading to Amsterdam tomorrow. Looking forward to my stay at the College Hotel, part of the Marriott Autograph collection. They have already upgraded me to a junior suite for 4 nights! And yes, I have called and messaged them asking for a quiet room because the front of the hotel faces the tram tracks, which would not work for me. They have assured me that this request has been duly noted and they will be more than happy to provide me with a quiet room.

Just approved for the Amex Marriott Biz card through DHs personal Gold increased support offer of an additional 5x grocery. Can’t wait to earn 9x on groceries for the next 3 months. Also added DD as an AU for an extra 5k/$2k spend, which also gets the 9x. So I’ll do the first $2k on her card. Should be able to get a nice stash of MR. Oh and a few Bonvoy points 😜 probably a couple of nights if I’m lucky.
Wow that's a nice stack, well done! I'm excited for you lol.

Just FYI, the 15 nights from the Biz card showed up in my account within 6 days. I've had 4 paid nights so far this year and I only have to stay 4 more nights to reach Platinum, and 3 of those nights will come from FNCs so I'm on track to reach Plat easily this year. I'm dreaming of a trip to the Maldives next year so free breakfast will come in very handy.

I arrived in Brussels without any issue. I really, really love train travel in Europe.

Walked to the Marriott Grand Place, my home for what was supposed to be 3 nights. Turned out to be 1 night — for the first time I think ever I left the hotel and checked into the Dominican, a Marriott Design Hotel. The room was nice, clean, spacious with a separate shower. Perfect it seemed. So I unpacked and headed out to walk around town for a few hours. The location seemed fine, minus the 5 homeless people that lived 5‘ from the main entrance of the hotel. When I got back to the hotel dead tired after dinner, I was in bed ready for sleep when my neighbors in the adjoining room came back for the night. Oh boy. The weren’t loud, but I could hear every.single.word that they spoke. I jumped when they dropped something on the floor. I heard their room phone ring 3 separate times. It was terrible and as I have mentioned before I need a quiet room to sleep. I tried my ear plugs, but they weren’t enough. Then the sirens started every 10 or so minutes. Then crowds from local bars started to get very loud. And on and on. I could.not.sleep because it was way too noisy. I called the front desk but my room phone was broken (had to use my cell phone). I simply asked if I could be moved the next day to a quiet room, but they wouldn’t give me a straight answer.

The next morning I had planned to visit Neuhaus (high-end chocolate Belgian company) factory outlet just outside of town. Before I left I had breakfast at the hotel and it was a free-for-all. Basically fend for yourself because no staff anywhere to be seen and mobs of people. Food was okay, nothing special. I had cereal, fruit and yogurt. Would have liked a cup of decaf but no staff to ask and the machine that guests were supposed to use had a line of 20 people. Glad that I don’t need caffeine in the morning, but if I did I would’ve just gone to a cafe and purchased it rather than line up for 10 or so minutes.

Forgot to mention the hotel only had 1 working elevator (of 3). They have 222 rooms and were sold out the night that I was there. Room service also used this elevator. Couldn’t find any stairs, but not sure if I would‘ve loved climbing up and down 5 flights to get to my room.

Next day when I returned from Neuhaus I asked the front desk if I could move to a quiet room. The CSR responded “we are a city center hotel”, so I asked if that was supposed to mean that they don’t have quiet rooms? They said they didn’t say that. I don’t like to play word games, they either have quiet rooms or they don’t. They said they didn’t know if I could move rooms until guests check-out and that would be after 1:00pm. I didn’t want to wait, so asked what the penalty would be if I left. I know that my sleep is more important than anything else and I could not deal with the attitude (rude) of the front desk. They said no penalty, so I packed up and left. I had gone to see the Dominican on my way back to the Marriott, asked if they had any quiet rooms (they are also in a busy area), they showed me an Exec. Room facing an interior courtyard and agreed to hold it for me.

I love the Dominican. The staff is AMAZING, the location much better (no homeless people living just outside the front door of the hotel) and the breakfast, while busy, is managed so much better. It is just more my vibe. The cost difference is $25/night. I realize that the Marriott is located in a grittier area of city center and can’t believe that the hotel doesn’t do something to make the homeless people move elsewhere — it’s a blight on them for sure.

It’s such a shame about the Marriott because I did like the room — it was newly refurbished and spacious. But I need my sleep and the staff refused to commit to moving me to a quiet room. I should mention that I had called the Marriott ahead of time and messaged them from the train, specifically requesting a quiet room.

Heading to Amsterdam tomorrow. Looking forward to my stay at the College Hotel, part of the Marriott Autograph collection. They have already upgraded me to a junior suite for 4 nights! And yes, I have called and messaged them asking for a quiet room because the front of the hotel faces the tram tracks, which would not work for me. They have assured me that this request has been duly noted and they will be more than happy to provide me with a quiet room.
Glad you found a better fit. Never been to Amsterdam, arriving Wednesday morning for 2 nights. Was planning to walk everywhere but it looks like we may have some rain, so I am getting up to speed on using the trams. It was so nice last year in London just using our credit cards instead of having to buy an Oyster card and load it. Looks like if we decide to hop on a tram we can buy a ticket once we are on, we'll just see how it goes. The extreme anxiety part of me does not like winging it!

Wow that's a nice stack, well done! I'm excited for you lol.

Just FYI, the 15 nights from the Biz card showed up in my account within 6 days. I've had 4 paid nights so far this year and I only have to stay 4 more nights to reach Platinum, and 3 of those nights will come from FNCs so I'm on track to reach Plat easily this year. I'm dreaming of a trip to the Maldives next year so free breakfast will come in very handy.
Thank you! I was so excited I had to tell someone, and you guys are truly the only people I know who can appreciate this. DH just nods and smiles 😂

I’m glad you mentioned the 15 nights that come with this card. I’ve never been in a position to have meaningful hotel status (other than with the Aspire) so I think I’ll take a closer look.

Glad you found a better fit. Never been to Amsterdam, arriving Wednesday morning for 2 nights. Was planning to walk everywhere but it looks like we may have some rain, so I am getting up to speed on using the trams. It was so nice last year in London just using our credit cards instead of having to buy an Oyster card and load it. Looks like if we decide to hop on a tram we can buy a ticket once we are on, we'll just see how it goes. The extreme anxiety part of me does not like winging it!
Transit is very easy to use in Amsterdam. Between the subway and trams you can get wherever you need to go. I see the rain in the forecast - yuck. I have a ticket for Keukenhof on Wednesday, glad that I have a good umbrella and raincoat. Hope that means less crowds!

Thank you! I was so excited I had to tell someone, and you guys are truly the only people I know who can appreciate this. DH just nods and smiles 😂

I’m glad you mentioned the 15 nights that come with this card. I’ve never been in a position to have meaningful hotel status (other than with the Aspire) so I think I’ll take a closer look.
I travel so much less than most people here. i have a Chase Marriott and an AmEx Marriott biz. From those i get 30 nights a year and Gold status. Don't think I will ever make platinum! And that's OK.

The AF takes about 3-4 months to show up after you PC. If you want to use the 2nd credit Summer 2024 I’d PC around June of ‘23. You can use the first $300 in August ‘23. Then you’d have until at least September ‘24 to use the 2nd $300.

I upgraded mine at the end June 2022, AF posted 9/1/22, my 2023 travel credit is set to reset after my statement closes in August. This is the second time we’ve done it, last time we used DH’s CSR.

Any thoughts about upgrading a Freedom to a CSR after downgrading? I downgraded my CSR to a Freedom last month but am regretting it. Would there be an issue if I upgraded now? I have several Freedom cards and could upgrade a different card than the one I downgraded, if that matters.

I travel so much less than most people here. i have a Chase Marriott and an AmEx Marriott biz. From those i get 30 nights a year and Gold status. Don't think I will ever make platinum! And that's OK.
After 3 years I've lost platinum this year. I'll have 39 nights in May with the 2 (15 night) credits. I doubt I'll make it to 50 this year since my other nights will be booked at Hyatt. But who knows? I might organically manage it later in the year.

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference as I rarely stay at any Marriotts where a significant perk would kick in.

Made an in-branch appt for the chase sapphire preferred offer. I’m under 5/24. Anything else I need to be aware of? I assume this will be relatively painless?

Made an in-branch appt for the chase sapphire preferred offer. I’m under 5/24. Anything else I need to be aware of? I assume this will be relatively painless?

I just took my code in to set up my checking & savings bonus. For some reason, they couldn't verify my identity when I tried to apply online. I had never done an offer in branch, but it was very easy. It did take about 30 minutes, but the banker I worked with was very friendly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter