I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Tell me about how to save on cruising. Specifically looking for spring or summer 2024 leaving Brooklyn (MSC) or Manhattan (Norwegian?) or NJ (RC). Interested in saving using OOP cash or Chase UR or Amex MR. Never cruised before so any information about anything and everything will be helpful. Destination would be bahamas/florida or caribbean for 7 nights.
Honestly, I think leaving out of New York or New Jersey means you spend a lot of time at sea and a lot less time on the actual islands. And if that’s what you’re looking for then cool, but if you want more on-island time I’d suggest looking out of Miami or Port Canaveral, FL

ETA I realize that doesn’t answer your actual question. Sorry about that! I don’t know the answer to that.

Earned a free night reward through the Hilton Biz and its for a weekend night. Fyi for anyone planning on using it based on the any night they were allowing the last couple of years.

I just checked mine and dd's FNC from the Hilton biz and it reads as below. Did yours have specific wording preventing weeknight use? I sure hope they haven't changed the wording because they won't be nearly as useful to me (since I won't be able to use them for 4 consecutive nights).

View attachment 785029

It should be fine to use whenever. They haven't changed the wording since they changed being able to use them whenever. It comes up on r/churning every so often for the same reason. Never read of someone not being able to use them on a weeknight.

Honestly, I think leaving out of New York or New Jersey means you spend a lot of time at sea and a lot less time on the actual islands. And if that’s what you’re looking for then cool, but if you want more on-island time I’d suggest looking out of Miami or Port Canaveral, FL

ETA I realize that doesn’t answer your actual question. Sorry about that! I don’t know the answer to that.
Thanks for the input. Trying to avoid the logistics of managing airfare for 7 people. It’s our first cruise and want to keep it simple, if possible. Time at see on the ship is fine. But I do see your point.

I had a plan for getting us to Japan in J next November and I'm starting to second-guess it. Could those who have been before help me out? Out dates our Nov 16-30, 2024 (the week before and the week of Thanksgiving).

I had decided not to look into ANA and stick with JAL because:
1. Current 30% transfer bonus for MRs to BA Avios.
2. When it's time to book the return flight, we'll be in Italy on vacation and booking ANA seems more complicated, so I figured I should keep it simple.

But it seems ANA would save us a lot in MRs and fees! I wish I could keep it flexible and just see what's available when it's time to book, but by then the current Avios transfer bonus will have ended and our dates are only flexible by like a day. Sigh... thoughts?

Tell me about how to save on cruising. Specifically looking for spring or summer 2024 leaving Brooklyn (MSC) or Manhattan (Norwegian?) or NJ (RC). Interested in saving using OOP cash or Chase UR or Amex MR. Never cruised before so any information about anything and everything will be helpful. Destination would be bahamas/florida or caribbean for 7 nights.
Hi there!

I am planning my family's first cruise right now as well, so I am total noob and locked in with NCL for our plans, but here is what I have found so far as far as savings...

NCL does a thing called "cruise first" where you can buy a "credit" for half-price, one per reservation (NOT per stateroom), of up to $500 if you time it right. Usually they are $300 for $150, but I got the $500/$250 "special." They also have a military discount (1 per reservation,) so H and I did 2 separate reservations and each stateroom got the military discount and 1 cruisefirst certificate. We turned down the "free alcohol" promotion for one stateroom because we won't use it and the "mandatory gratuities" on the "free alcohol" were more expensive than PAYING for the soda package+gratuities for us. The other room will use the booze, so we don't mind paying the gratuities.

If you went with RC, there are discounted gift cards I found for 9% off face value, 1% back on rakuten... I don't have any experience with them, but it seems like a good deal...

I had a plan for getting us to Japan in J next November and I'm starting to second-guess it. Could those who have been before help me out? Out dates our Nov 16-30, 2024 (the week before and the week of Thanksgiving).

2. When it's time to book the return flight, we'll be in Italy on vacation and booking ANA seems more complicated, so I figured I should keep it simple.

But it seems ANA would save us a lot in MRs and fees! I wish I could keep it flexible and just see what's available when it's time to book, but by then the current Avios transfer bonus will have ended and our dates are only flexible by like a day. Sigh... thoughts?

Can't offer much since I booked jal via AA but ana passes the fuel surcharge on so their fees are always higher than booking via a US carrier. If BA does the same then there wouldn't be much difference I would guess. My fees total rt was less than 100 and I think less than 75. The flight back was more but not by a lot.

I think ANA would be harder just because that seems to be how most people I see on reddit book. I don't see as much about jal.

Can't offer much since I booked jal via AA but ana passes the fuel surcharge on so their fees are always higher than booking via a US carrier. If BA does the same then there wouldn't be much difference I would guess. My fees total rt was less than 100 and I think less than 75. The flight back was more but not by a lot.

I think ANA would be harder just because that seems to be how most people I see on reddit book. I don't see as much about jal.
Folks here were having trouble booking JAL via AA because award space was drying up before it hit AA since their schedule is behind. So I had stopped considering it. But yeah, avoiding those fees would be awesome.

ANA would still be less than JAL via Avios because BA charges ~$300 in fees each way, whereas ANA is about that roundtrip.

Cruise compete! Put in your desired cruise info and TAs “bid” on your cruise. Some TAs will book blocks of cruise ship rooms and you’ll get an insane deal. I’ve booked probably 10 cruises through cruise compete on a variety of lines and with a variety of TAs and have saved a TON of money. I will say that the quality of the TAs can vary widely. Some are great, but some are just good for the basics (booking the cruise for you). So I most recommend cruise compete for someone who is fine booking their excursions, etc. on their own.

Quick question -- does one wear nylons to a summer funeral? I have a black dress that barely falls below my knees (hard to find such a thing with my height), so I am worried about too much exposed skin (this is a Jewish funeral -- not orthodox) and dress is supposed to be modest. Have to leave shortly and google hasn't been much help. Help!

Question for those of you who play the game, "Upgrade Freedom to CSR, use travel credit, pay one annual fee, use travel credit #2, downgrade", was your 2nd annual fee 12 months from your first?

We upgraded in May and still haven't seen the first AF hit (most recent statement closed in August). My travel credit resets with my statement closing in June of 2024. I guess I'm curious, if my first AF doesn't hit until September statement, then does that mean I'll have all of next summer to use that second $300 travel credit before I have to downgrade to avoid paying a 2nd AF? Or, will it AF in September 2023 and then short cycle and AF again in June 2024?

I hear ANA is only releasing 1J/1F these days. Is it just 2 of you? Would you want to split up in different cabins or even different flights? I would say stalk at schedule open so you can see for yourself. We need 4 seats, so I've never tried.

If you preemptively transfer to BA for the bonus, do you have a backup plan for them in case things don't work out?

I like Cruise Compete too.

Several years ago, we were on the MSC Seaview and had a Super Family Plus cabin, which was 3 connecting cabins sold for 1 price. It was a good deal compared to booking 3 separate cabins. Not sure if that's still the case, but something to look at if you go with MSC.

There are targeted Amex Offers for NCL and RCCL sometimes. They work for paying down existing bookings, so keep an eye out if you book either of those cruise lines.

If you have an Amex Platinum, there are some extra perks you can get with the Cruise Privileges Program.

I like Cruise Compete too.

Several years ago, we were on the MSC Seaview and had a Super Family Plus cabin, which was 3 connecting cabins sold for 1 price. It was a good deal compared to booking 3 separate cabins. Not sure if that's still the case, but something to look at if you go with MSC.

There are targeted Amex Offers for NCL and RCCL sometimes. They work for paying down existing bookings, so keep an eye out if you book either of those cruise lines.

If you have an Amex Platinum, there are some extra perks you can get with the Cruise Privileges Program.
Thank you! I have been looking at MSC and didn't see the Super Family Plus Cabin or anything similar, but it was not the Seaview. I will look again. I will also look into Cruise Compete. Thanks

Quick question -- does one wear nylons to a summer funeral? I have a black dress that barely falls below my knees (hard to find such a thing with my height), so I am worried about too much exposed skin (this is a Jewish funeral -- not orthodox) and dress is supposed to be modest. Have to leave shortly and google hasn't been much help. Help!

I'm sorry for your loss! Could you wear them, get there early, scope it out and if no one else is, duck into the loo and remove them? That would be my strategy, lol. Again, condolences!

I hear ANA is only releasing 1J/1F these days. Is it just 2 of you? Would you want to split up in different cabins or even different flights? I would say stalk at schedule open so you can see for yourself. We need 4 seats, so I've never tried.

If you preemptively transfer to BA for the bonus, do you have a backup plan for them in case things don't work out?
It is just two of us but we definitely would want to sit together in J, no question there. If they're only releasing 1J these days then that's a no go. I will stalk the schedule this week and see how it goes.

As for a backup plan with BA, I don't a specific use of the points in mind, but there's no shortage of places we want to go! So if you're asking if the points would be lost, definitely not. But Japan might not happen as planned as we wouldn't have rebuilt enough MR stash by then. However, I've seen decent availability on JAL via BA out of several airports that are easy for us to reposition to

It is just two of us but we definitely would want to sit together in J, no question there. If they're only releasing 1J these days then that's a no go. I will stalk the schedule this week and see how it goes.

As for a backup plan with BA, I don't a specific use of the points in mind, but there's no shortage of places we want to go! So if you're asking if the points would be lost, definitely not. But Japan might not happen as planned as we wouldn't have rebuilt enough MR stash by then. However, I've seen decent availability on JAL via BA out of several airports that are easy for us to reposition to

Chances are good that JAL through BA would work out, but release patterns can change. So I would feel nervous about transferring early. I might ultimately end up doing it, but only after thinking through the other ways I might use them and how I would feel if the points were stuck there, etc.

Not quite the same, but reminds me of when I booked JAL before Japan was open. They didn't reopen, so then I had 618k points stuck there. 😓 I knew the risk was there, but the reward was worth it to me. I spent it down as opportunities came up. Now I've used up all of it booking our next Japan trip (had to transfer extra with the bonus). :D

shoes, not sandals are appropriate and make sure shoulders are covered. as long as not a mini skirt you should be fine! can wear black stockings if you'd like.

we don't do flowers, put stones or dirt on grave. food to the family sitting shiva

Question for those of you who play the game, "Upgrade Freedom to CSR, use travel credit, pay one annual fee, use travel credit #2, downgrade", was your 2nd annual fee 12 months from your first?

We upgraded in May and still haven't seen the first AF hit (most recent statement closed in August). My travel credit resets with my statement closing in June of 2024. I guess I'm curious, if my first AF doesn't hit until September statement, then does that mean I'll have all of next summer to use that second $300 travel credit before I have to downgrade to avoid paying a 2nd AF? Or, will it AF in September 2023 and then short cycle and AF again in June 2024?
I upgraded my CSR June 2022, fee posted September, my travel credit already reset (this month), I booked SW flights and already credited for year 2. I’m going to call to downgrade on Monday. I don’t know when I’ll upgrade my CFU, probably not until next month when I need to transfer points to Hyatt.

AARP has gift cards to purchase for cruise lines. Currently they have RCL gift cards at a 10% discount for AARP members. They also have other gift cards for purchase which do not require a paid membership. Not sure if they have had gift cards for MSC or NCL in the past. Using a cc which offers cashback would stack with the AARP purchases.

Others can correct me if I am wrong but if you have/get a Chase Sappire Reserve CC you would earn 3% URs using it to pay for your cruise and then you could use the URs as a statement credit. There is also a $300 annual travel credit which would apply to a cruise payment.

You could also check grocery stores and warehouse stores. Kroger/Harris Teeter offer 4X fuel points on gift cards regularlyl If you have a cc which offers a higher cashback on grocery purchases and they have the gift cards you need in store then you might get a nice return. Target may also have them in store and if you have a Red Card you will get a 5% discount and sometimes you can earn bonus Target Circe rewards including when purchaseing gift cards.

I upgraded my CSR June 2022, fee posted September, my travel credit already reset (this month), I booked SW flights and already credited for year 2. I’m going to call to downgrade on Monday. I don’t know when I’ll upgrade my CFU, probably not until next month when I need to transfer points to Hyatt.
Perfect. Just so I'm clear, has your 2nd AF shown up yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter