I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as many of you know SW opens flights for November on 5-31. I was wondering if it is wise to get the early bird boarding. I will have a 10,7,3 year kids. All first time flying and on SW. I don’t really mind spending the money cause the fights are free with points. Any thoughts would be great.
I personally wouldn’t spend the extra money. Family boarding allows your immediate family. No more than two adults and all the kids. We typically can find 5 seats together (the entire row or two rows back to back) around the wings and back by the time we get on the plane with family boarding. As long as you don’t need specific rows I’d just use family boarding.

In line for my flight home I think. Came back to the gate area to a line at my gate so I figured I might as well get in it :rotfl:

We had fun, no issues though a couple things that are funny now I'll share later. I'll put a review of both hotels and then Paris, DLP and the transportation we used in the review thread because I want to share all my useful info.

I am ready to be home, not being a foodie makes eating her a bit more challenging though we had good meals. Most of the food at DLP was only edible. Makes me look forward to wdw qs, even a meatball sub at pizza Rizzo :rotfl:I liked the one before the refurb.

I'm trying to catch up from sometime on Thursday when I last posted. Congrats to all the new cardholders and @wendow daughter graduating and anything else exciting that happened that I missed. I only kept up with the rumors and news post cause it's not as fast :bitelip:

ETA get to use global entry for the first time, yay! Can anyone give a crash course I can read when I get to Iceland in 3.5 hours? I have cookies, chocolate and souvenirs. I'm not used to having to do the customs form from anywhere but Canada and not when GE. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Is there a chart or list that shows all the hotels and where their points/rewards can be transferred or used at?

I know do many chains say you can use them at these hotels but I can’t remember what hotel is with what hotel group. Thanks for your help trying to decide where DH should stay next.

I just recently received two email offers. One is a Hilton Honors Amex (it says the new Hilton Honors card). Earn 75,000 bonus points and silver status after you spend $1000 in 3 months. 7x on Hilton Hotels. 5x on U.S. restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations and 3x all other eligible purchases. The other is Marriott Rewards earn 100,000 bonus points if you spend $5000 in the first 3 months $95 AF

Should I open one of these next?

Is there a chart or list that shows all the hotels and where their points/rewards can be transferred or used at?

I know do many chains say you can use them at these hotels but I can’t remember what hotel is with what hotel group. Thanks for your help trying to decide where DH should stay next.

I found this website that lists the world's top six hotel brands and lists hotels within each group. I hope this will help.

https://www.socialtables.com/blog/hotels/guide-worlds-top-hotel-brands-properties/

In line for my flight home I think. Came back to the gate area to a line at my gate so I figured I might as well get in it :rotfl:

We had fun, no issues though a couple things that are funny now I'll share later. I'll put a review of both hotels and then Paris, DLP and the transportation we used in the review thread because I want to share all my useful info.

I am ready to be home, not being a foodie makes eating her a bit more challenging though we had good meals. Most of the food at DLP was only edible. Makes me look forward to wdw qs, even a meatball sub at pizza Rizzo :rotfl:I liked the one before the refurb.

I'm trying to catch up from sometime on Thursday when I last posted. Congrats to all the new cardholders and @wendow daughter graduating and anything else exciting that happened that I missed. I only kept up with the rumors and news post cause it's not as fast :bitelip:

ETA get to use global entry for the first time, yay! Can anyone give a crash course I can read when I get to Iceland in 3.5 hours? I have cookies, chocolate and souvenirs. I'm not used to having to do the customs form from anywhere but Canada and not when GE. Thank you!!
At BWI, those who have GE go off to the right as you enter the customs area. There are kiosks where you’ll scan your passport, answer the questions, it takes a picture and print out a slip that you’ll take to the customs agent. You grab your bags an exit to the right. They don’t make you put your bags through the baggage check machines. It is super quick and we have typically been the only family in the GE area.

If you have your GE card with you, you won’t need it at all since it is connected to your passport.

My sister and brother in law are all set for their 20th anniversary trip to Bali! They are using Spg points to fly on Qatar metal. They are also using their spg points to stay at a Starwood luxury collection property and were upgraded to a suite.

We used awardhacker to map out best routes/cheapest amount of miles needed. She is now a believer in the theory of what points and miles can do!

My sister and brother in law are all set for their 20th anniversary trip to Bali! They are using Spg points to fly on Qatar metal. They are also using their spg points to stay at a Starwood luxury collection property and were upgraded to a suite.

We used awardhacker to map out best routes/cheapest amount of miles needed. She is now a believer in the theory of what points and miles can do!

I see referrals in your future.

I just recently received two email offers. One is a Hilton Honors Amex (it says the new Hilton Honors card). Earn 75,000 bonus points and silver status after you spend $1000 in 3 months. 7x on Hilton Hotels. 5x on U.S. restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations and 3x all other eligible purchases. The other is Marriott Rewards earn 100,000 bonus points if you spend $5000 in the first 3 months $95 AF

Should I open one of these next?

Really this is going to come down to where do you think you want to stay (which brand)? Have you checked around yet?

That said, the AmEx Hilton is a new card, they just released their new line of cards in Jan. The 75k is an increased offer that came out in the last week or two on the no AF card. So it doesn't seem bad, BUT if you do a dummy booking on the Hilton site you can get the same offer plus a $50 statement credit - so if you decide to go for it I'd go the dummy booking route.
Also the thing to think about with AmEx is they tend to include lifetime language restrictions with their sign up bonuses. You may be familiar, but it basically says that if you have earned a bonus ever on a particular card you're not eligible for it again if you open the same card again. So conventional thoughts have been to go for the highest offer you can find since that's all you may get. Since the cards just came out this year there's no real historical data on increases to know if it'd go any higher if you wait. IMO only, realistically with the no AF card not sure how much higher they'd give with only a 1k spend requirement.
And if you decide to really get into Hilton, check out the rest of the line. Since you have business cards already, Hilton also has a business card with an increased sign up offer right now. It's got a $95 AF but 125k points for 5k in 3 months, Gold status, and Priority Pass visits and the increased Hilton points earnings... plus won't add to your 5/24 status. :) But have to decide if you're not going to use any of it until next year is it worth buying points and status (by paying the AF)? If you say yes then this one is also available through the dummy booking with the $50 statement credit.

The Marriott one is a new card, just came out 5/3 and @Albort pointed out a rumor that the 100k offer may be ending July 2, so if you want it may want to try for it in the new few weeks. If I were you I'd be going for the Marriott card since you (or someone in your household) has the 30k SPG you can combine with. Plus the free night you'd get next year on your anniversary you may be able to save some points on the trip. Then again, I'm eyeing it up for the same reasons so, if you can make the spend, I'd get it regardless of the Hilton decision. :) When the program changes in Aug you can use the new Marriott points to transfer to airline partners like you can now with SPG. 60k Marriott will get you 25k on most airlines with the new transfer rates. Can look into that for your flights as well.

I have no skin in either game, but if you felt so inclined, there are support links on the DISchurners reddit group for some of the cards I mentioned. And no offense meant to folks with support links, but if you go for the Hilton I'd do the dummy booking instead for the $50. (even if I had skin in the game I'd tell you to do the dummy booking too :laughing:) Marriott is the same offer everywhere I believe.

Yeesh, I come back from two days at a horse show and catch up and @Lain and @wendow have new pictures and @SouthFayetteFan is now Robin Hood and I don't know what's happening!!

My horse and I had a great show, winning our class! Additional highlights included the horse show taking credit cards for my entries, which is almost unheard of for horse shows!
That's a pretty awesome weekend, congratulations! That deserves a little dance party I think:banana: :cheer2: :dogdance:

I have a question re the 'new' hilton card at 75k offer.... this is different from the 'old' hilton honors cards? DH and I both have that card. Since I'm dipping more into Hilton lately,I'm curious about what I can qualify for(haven't even started spend for hilton biz!) I don't want to go thru all the spend only to not qualify for a bonus....and that marriott offer looks so good....I WISH I qualified, but My guess is I have to be under 5/24 to get that so I didn't even open the email (they sent it to me, but I don't think I qualify,what is that?) I'd like to expand some Marriot and/or Hilton options soon,since most avenues for me are closed for a while, but I like having hotel points to use when desired.... I feel like I know the 5/24 rule, but then there a ---/12 rule for amex that's got me confused also. Got to do more reading now.

If you don't belong to Costco yet, you'll have to decide if you want a regular membership ($60) or an executive membership ($120). Last September, Costco started giving executive members 2% back on Travel purchases (previously it was only 2% on qualifying Costco purchases, excluding those made with the Travel department). So if your cruise will cost more than $3000, you'll do better with the executive membership.

ETA: I don't know how that would work with a transferred reservation though...
Costco gives the same discount whether you book with them or with DCL then transfer.

That is awesome redemption. Way to convert them!

@Lain oh no where'd you go? There's some guy with a new ship in your slip :)
I don't recall any other avatar as you for as long as I remember "knowing" you. This may take some getting used to...

Same guy, same boat. Even same artist. Love the Jolly Roger!

But more so, Peter Pan is my favorite classic ride and I love Eyvind Earle's work on Peter Pan, as well as Sleeping Beauty and Lady and the Tramp. We caught an exhibition of his work last year at the Walt Disney Family Museum; been obsessing over his color palette since.

@miztressuz when are you putting up an avatar, or do you prefer to remain a mystery? And @wendow, loving the new avatar with that beautiful smile!

@miztressuz beat me to it ;)

Noticed some familiar, yet not so familiar faces @Lain (“avatars”, but @wendow is a pretty face!) cropping up! Seems like a few making some seasonal changes :magnify:

Wonder if @SouthFayetteFan will emerge from this weekend and shock us with a change from his longstanding green helmet :P
The helmet will remain a stronghold. LOL! It is a perfect representation of my name and allegiance :) Plus, I don’t like change, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter