I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question isn't directed at you but is based off your info. I know if you have a Chase checking account you can get the disney debit card that works for the character spot photo. Does it also work for discounts or do you have to have the actual credit card for the visa offers like discounts and early booking?

Yeah, the debit gets all the same vacation perks as the credit. I think the early booking may be credit holders only, but pretty much everything else vacation wise is the same for debit holders. (same shopping/dining/tours/experience discounts, photo spot, broadway packages, etc)

and tagging @SG131 if you're interested. If you're not already a Chase bank account holder, they have bank bonuses for opening the checking account and you'd get the debit card included. It's a $200 bonus right now but it's frequently $300 which would beat the credit card offer, if you were eligible for the checking account. I like DoC's write up: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-500-checking-savings-bonus-publicly-available-branch/
and wait, apparently the $300 is back in certain areas :) Glad I checked for the link.

So, I’ve never been to this side of the disboards before, but you guys seem to be full of good advice. I was recently planning to get a Disney Visa card, back when they were running the $100 of rewards promotion for the regular card. But I realized I could get more if a friend referred me, so I waited on someone only to find out months later that their card is ineligible. Now the promo is $50 if I sign up on my own. Is there a point to doing it now or are the chase offers cyclical in which case I should wait it out a few months for a better deal? I’m still trying to see if I know anyone else with the card, but I don’t think I do.

This question isn't directed at you but is based off your info. I know if you have a Chase checking account you can get the disney debit card that works for the character spot photo. Does it also work for discounts or do you have to have the actual credit card for the visa offers like discounts and early booking?

Yeah, the debit gets all the same vacation perks as the credit. I think the early booking may be credit holders only, but pretty much everything else vacation wise is the same for debit holders. (same shopping/dining/tours/experience discounts, photo spot, broadway packages, etc)

and tagging @SG131 if you're interested. If you're not already a Chase bank account holder, they have bank bonuses for opening the checking account and you'd get the debit card included. It's a $200 bonus right now but it's frequently $300 which would beat the credit card offer, if you were eligible for the checking account. I like DoC's write up: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-500-checking-savings-bonus-publicly-available-branch/
and wait, apparently the $300 is back in certain areas :) Glad I checked for the link.

I'm posting photos of the info that accompanies the Visa Debit Card that I got when I opened a Chase checking account a couple months ago ($300 bonus! Woohoo!) and picked a Disney themed debit card. Note: you won't get this if you pick a plain Visa debit card for your checking account!

upload_2018-6-20_13-18-51.png

upload_2018-6-20_13-20-10.png

@platamama is this one for specific states or anything? I am ready for my next bank bonus. Seems like I remember chase being state specific. Or maybe required DD or something. Off to research...

I’m checking in while the kids are napping. We’ve been in Hilton Head and it is so beautiful here. It’s our second time here and we’re already trying to figure out when we can come back. I love that with CC points that we’ll be able to return sooner rather than later. We’re also putting a decent chunk towards the MSR on DH’s Hilton biz with all of the dining out.

And my sister called the Chase status line today and her CIP is approved!

When I bought 2x $100 VGCs from Safeway yesterday, the cashier shook her head disapprovingly and said, "So you saved what $3, $4? Was that worth it when you're going to be paying all those fees?" I had no idea what she was talking about. I said, "I bought $200 for $196.90, so yeah I'm pretty happy." I didn't even mention that I was getting 5% cash back in UR, worth 50% more towards travel when I move them to my CSR. And what fees? We pay off our credit bill every month and never leave money on GCs for very long.

:confused3
Oh my, I would have stuttered through an “uhh...” at the time but the I would have spent the car ride home thinking of all the (absolutely pointless) quips I could have delivered in return- my slow brain saves me from my big mouth!

I've had a few cashiers be confused and think something was wrong, and a few say oh that's a good idea... if were making small talk about the gift cards and I mention I just use them myself when they see they're a couple bucks off. But that is a really strange reaction!
There’s an old lady that always checks us out at Staples & when they had the no fee VGC promo she rang it up and then very happily exclaimed to me “Hey, look! There are no fees on it right now!” It was really cute, she was just so happy at that deal.

I'm posting photos of the info that accompanies the Visa Debit Card that I got when I opened a Chase checking account a couple months ago ($300 bonus! Woohoo!) and picked a Disney themed debit card. Note: you won't get this if you pick a plain Visa debit card for your checking account!

View attachment 331248

View attachment 331249

And here's the debit web link: https://disneydebit.com/
(I probably should have found that earlier ;))

I did not know there were different debit options! When hubby opened his I'm pretty sure the lady at the branch only gave him the Disney options to pick from for the card design. I just assumed folks that didn't have the Disney debit opened their accounts before it was a mainstream thing. Always learning :)

Right now the no fee card by referral is a $200 statement credit after you spend $500. I just read it off my account. The actual reward dollars come from spending on the credit card and I think you need a certain amount to put them on a rewards card, maybe $20.

@speedyfishy was telling you about the possibility of some other cards which might have larger bonuses for a higher spend. Sounds like you have some time to get more than just $200 of credit since your trip isn't until December.

You are right about have earned $20 if it’s a new card...my daughters is new and she tried to order a rewards card, but they said she has to have $20 in rewards

Over the years of having a SW CP, I'd refined my approach to booking tickets. I would buy for myself, then wait and see if prices changed and get to a point where I was happy with the fare before booking the CP ticket because it's been difficult to get point refunds in the past if I had a CP attached to my booking (first I had to cancel the CP, then change my fare, then add the CP back on and the website just was not very good about that, I'd get errors all the time). Well, I just got burned by that game plan.

I redeemed RRs on 5/31 when the calendar covering the holidays came out for tickets to Costa Rica for DH and me over Thanksgiving week, figuring I'd add DD as my companion later on. When I got back from our Italy trip, I went to add DD...and the flight is sold out on the returning leg, all fares are sold out. :guilty: Ugh.

I keep checking back to see if by chance someone has canceled, but so far not lucky on that front.

So on to Plan B: I used AAnytime miles (no SAAvers available) to book one-way tickets for the way back for us and I have that reservation on hold for 5 days. In the meantime I'll keep hoping someone cancels on Southwest. I guess I was fortunate in that I never did find a J class award ticket to get to Italy, because now I still have the miles in my account to cover the Costa Rica return leg!

I'll be getting around 2.4 cpm value out of those AA miles. Currently there's a AA mile sale where if you buy the maximum, you end up buying them for 1.55 cpm and it's really tempting me right now. But I'm pretty sure DH would not be happy with me.

Lesson I've learned: if it's a holiday travel time, get the award tickets as soon as you can. And have a Plan B.
I liked your post because it's a good reminder, not because I in any way like that this happened to you. :(

I’m checking in while the kids are napping. We’ve been in Hilton Head and it is so beautiful here. It’s our second time here and we’re already trying to figure out when we can come back. I love that with CC points that we’ll be able to return sooner rather than later. We’re also putting a decent chunk towards the MSR on DH’s Hilton biz with all of the dining out.

And my sister called the Chase status line today and her CIP is approved!
:banana::dogdance::cool1::dogdance::banana:

Yea approvals! And jealous of Hilton Head :)

View attachment 331248

View attachment 331249

That's super helpful to know. It can help stay below 5/24 if you can open the bank account and use the debit instead.

@platamama is this one for specific states or anything? I am ready for my next bank bonus. Seems like I remember chase being state specific. Or maybe required DD or something. Off to research...

I think @miztressuz posted the same link as this https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-500-checking-savings-bonus-publicly-available-branch/

It looks like YMMV on whether or not Chase needs to be in your state, there are DPs that show the results are mixed. It does require a direct deposit but no minimum for the amount. I used an $10 ACH push from my Wells Fargo checking account as well as a <$10 deposit from TopCashBack, and I'm not sure which of those two triggered the bonus.

And here's the debit web link: https://disneydebit.com/
(I probably should have found that earlier ;))

I did not know there were different debit options! When hubby opened his I'm pretty sure the lady at the branch only gave him the Disney options to pick from for the card design. I just assumed folks that didn't have the Disney debit opened their accounts before it was a mainstream thing. Always learning :)
When I opened my account, I had the Disney Visa and CSR, so the banker was like did you know we have disney debit cards too??

So now I have both castles in my wallet :)

Over the years of having a SW CP, I'd refined my approach to booking tickets. I would buy for myself, then wait and see if prices changed and get to a point where I was happy with the fare before booking the CP ticket because it's been difficult to get point refunds in the past if I had a CP attached to my booking (first I had to cancel the CP, then change my fare, then add the CP back on and the website just was not very good about that, I'd get errors all the time). Well, I just got burned by that game plan.

I redeemed RRs on 5/31 when the calendar covering the holidays came out for tickets to Costa Rica for DH and me over Thanksgiving week, figuring I'd add DD as my companion later on. When I got back from our Italy trip, I went to add DD...and the flight is sold out on the returning leg, all fares are sold out. :guilty: Ugh.

I keep checking back to see if by chance someone has canceled, but so far not lucky on that front.

So on to Plan B: I used AAnytime miles (no SAAvers available) to book one-way tickets for the way back for us and I have that reservation on hold for 5 days. In the meantime I'll keep hoping someone cancels on Southwest. I guess I was fortunate in that I never did find a J class award ticket to get to Italy, because now I still have the miles in my account to cover the Costa Rica return leg!

I'll be getting around 2.4 cpm value out of those AA miles. Currently there's a AA mile sale where if you buy the maximum, you end up buying them for 1.55 cpm and it's really tempting me right now. But I'm pretty sure DH would not be happy with me.

Lesson I've learned: if it's a holiday travel time, get the award tickets as soon as you can. And have a Plan B.

Ugh..hope your able to catch a cancellation....I’ve done the same thing waiting to add my companion...will have to watch the flights more closely

My friends are not all the most trustworthy or financially responsible. It’s really not worth being out money for a few extra points, but I’m jealous of the people that get to do it.
Thank goodness my friends today pay me back! We had one friend last year of college though that never paid anyone back, I just thought she forgot- apparently we all thought the same. Someone mentioned at the end of year she still owed them like $100 but they felt weird asking the friend and then we all thought for a minute and I knew she owed me like $20, and another friend spoke up and then another friend spoke up (heck, I went home and told my roommate who went, hey she still owes me too!). Secure in the knowledge she owed all of us money we all went ahead and contacted her on our own and while she did finally pay us she made all of us feel like slime for wanting our money. If we hadn’t been going seperate ways (and been mostly unemployed, debt ridden college seniors) I don’t think any of us would have been willing to bug her for the money. Some people you just cannot trust to pay you back and no one wants to hound a friend for money!

I think @miztressuz posted the same link as this https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-500-checking-savings-bonus-publicly-available-branch/

It looks like YMMV on whether or not Chase needs to be in your state, there are DPs that show the results are mixed. It does require a direct deposit but no minimum for the amount. I used an $10 ACH push from my Wells Fargo checking account as well as a <$10 deposit from TopCashBack, and I'm not sure which of those two triggered the bonus.
I tried to do the Chase online, and was rejected because they are not in my state.

Yuck! DH stays at a Hilton once a week for work, and he can't use his personal Hilton card. He gets the points, but it would be so much sweeter to be getting more with his own card.

Tell him he can be embarrassed in economy while you fly in first class because you only earned enough points to pay for one premium ticket. :tongue:

Lol good idea....

When I opened my account, I had the Disney Visa and CSR, so the banker was like did you know we have disney debit cards too??

So now I have both castles in my wallet :)

Funny you say that, we had castles too so hubby said he picked the group shot for the debit so there's no mix up :)

(which is why I think he only had Disney design options, because when it showed up as Disney I asked him something about picking the Disney over the regular debit and he said he picked that one because the castle might get confusing. So I let it go and just assumed they took a page from Oprah and everyone got a Disney debit with a checking account now :laughing:)

I used to have a castle but they discontinued my design (you mean they won't keep making the 50th anniversary picture forever? darn) and I wasn't using it much so I didn't really mind it was the grey Mickey default one. But now they discontinued that one too so I wonder what I'll get next :laughing: Hopefully they have a nice castle again by then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter