• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think you’d be pushing it. I’d do a double dip now...Then SW biz in Dec and SW personal in January maybe just to stretch it out a bit.

I think you’d be fine with the double dip now and going for the CP in December

I agree with @SouthFayetteFan. It's been 3 months since your CIP. If you do a CSR+CSP double dip now, late-November is 3 months later.

You won't be double dipping the SW Biz and SW Plus/Premier anyway because for the biz, remember the 0/30 rule; and for the personal, the one SW (personal) card rule doesn't apply to the SW Biz card, so you'd only double dip 2 personals to get around that rule. @SouthFayetteFan's suggestion to do the SW Biz in December and SW personal in January is sound, because for the CP it doesn't matter when you apply, you just need the bonuses from both cards to post in 2019.

Thanks all for the advice.

One other question though. I'm working towards a WDW trip in April 2020. So if I use the CSR to book it for the 1.5 redemption, say in July 2019, can I then cancel /product change the card in August 2019, before taking the trip, to avoid a second year of the AF? My other option is to convince reluctant DH to either double dip himself or at least get the CSR, so we'll have it during the WDW trip.

I would be using ur points to make the reservation. just didn't know how that works if we need to cancel the reservation or if the price drops to get a refund of points.
I’ve made one reservation so far...when looking at the hotels you have to make sure you book the refundable rooms since some are non refundable. If the price drops you have to cancel and rebook...at least online..not sure if you call to have them adjust

Last edited:

One other question though. I'm working towards a WDW trip in April 2020. So if I use the CSR to book it for the 1.5 redemption, say in July 2019, can I then cancel /product change the card in August 2019, before taking the trip, to avoid a second year of the AF? My other option is to convince reluctant DH to either double dip himself or at least get the CSR, so we'll have it during the WDW trip.

Cancelling the card I’m not sure about..so I’ll let others answer......my husband is also a reluctant P2...he’s fine with whatever card I apply for in his name..but he will not make any phone calls ...so I totally understand....i

I’ve made one reservation so far...when looking at the hotels you have to make sure you book the refundable rooms since some are non refundable. If the price drops you have to cancel and rebook...at lest online..not sure if you call to have them adjust
my question is how does it work if you no longer have the csr after booking. Kinda want to book the room now since its not too bad of a price but plan to have dh get the csr in oct before mine is up for the year. I could transfer the points to dh cip but would rather use the csr to book it. I have enough points to cover it but if it drops I want points back. just don't know how they do that if I don't have the card anymore

can someone check my link for csp? When I click it its saying something about not current offer redirecting. If its not a valid link anymore how can I create a new one? its been a while since I did the links. thanks

Ok, so I'm guessing you are aware that you can book Disney rooms and tickets through Chase to get the 1.5 cpp rate from the CSR and that's why you got it. That's a good start. As we discussed earlier you can transfer points from your UR earnings card(s) to your DH's CSR to get the most out of that. Since you're not up for the double dip, unfortunately referrals from DH wouldn't be helpful in getting a CSP. In this case you can only generate a link for the CSR and not a product family. However, you may be able to get support from others in your various travel groups just as you may have supported someone in your FI group. So still worth checking the app to generate a link from DH's card.

If you're booking a package you can work it so that you can delay paying with your points until final payment to give you more time to amass points. If doing it separate you can still book the room through the portal and then get tickets later, per your current plan. I'd check discount ticket sites to compare getting the discount and then cashing out points to reimburse some (from whatever programs you have) vs. buying tickets through Chase at face value from Disney but using the 1.5 cpp discount from whatever UR points you may have at that point.

As for your question on getting the Disney visa card, counter intuitively, our advice will most times say no :) It's not a great earnings card so mostly we'd recommend going for better earning cards first. The real value in a Disney card is the perks and the 0% financing for 6 months on vacation packages or cruises (and a few other select bookings). The no fee version only earns 1% everywhere unless they run their rare promotions. The $49 fee version gets you 2% back on grocery and Disney purchases, 1% everywhere else and a perk for cashing out points to cover airfare, which you wouldn't use. They both earn Disney rewards dollars that can only be spent on Disney products. So even the Freedom Unlimited card has a better earning rate at 1.5% and since it's a UR earning card you can transfer those points to the CSR if that works into your timeline. If all you want it for are the perks(like discounts and special photos), then you can look at opening a Chase checking account and get the Disney debit card. Has all the same perks as the Visa except for the financing but doesn't use one of the 5/24 slots. Plus, if you're eligible for the checking account, most times you can get a cash bonus for opening it either the same or better than the bonus for the credit card. Chase banking account are not in every state, but if you can swing it can be the best of both worlds. If not, then I don't think Disney is subject to the 5/24 rules so you could still pick it up later. (someone will fact check me on that one, but I'm pretty sure :) )

In addition to cash or points credit cards for paying for some spending money, have you looked into bank account bonuses yet? Like I mentioned for Chase, there are a number of banks that provide sign up bonuses for opening accounts. It's considered interest, so it's taxable income, but can be worthwhile to generate some cash for doing things you may need anyway - like opening the Chase account for the debit card. If the bank isn't a good fit or the regular terms aren't as good as the promotional terms, you can always close the account later after all the terms are met. I feel it's a little more involved, but if you have some money you can float around it can get you more return than the current HYS or CD rates.

It is a lot to take in and work out, but fire away with questions and we'll try to help you out with your Disney plans.

This is awesome! Thanks! I'm too old for Reddit. :rotfl2:

my question is how does it work if you no longer have the csr after booking. Kinda want to book the room now since its not too bad of a price but plan to have dh get the csr in oct before mine is up for the year. I could transfer the points to dh cip but would rather use the csr to book it. I have enough points to cover it but if it drops I want points back. just don't know how they do that if I don't have the card anymore

Not sure what would happen to the points if you book with your CSR...then later after you cancelled the card wanted to cancel the reservation...hopefully someone with more experience than I can help.

This is awesome! Thanks! I'm too old for Reddit. :rotfl2:

Well, that's the nice thing about the DISchurners reddit group, it's a private group only for members of the DIS (so it's not out in public) and is basically a repository of things we can't do or discuss through the DIS. There's restrictions on how travel agents are discussed, and evidently even a "group who must not be named", and since Chase is technically a travel agency we stored some info about all that there. Along with the "support" links we've mentioned, since again, that's a no-no on the DIS as well.

The rest of Reddit is exhausting :) but we're mostly a reference page for all the good tips members of the thread here pick up as we plan trips.

I’d guess if you product change that would be fine. (As long as you don’t plan to alter that reservation at all after booking it). This is purely a guess though.

My first (and last) mortgage payment went through on Plastiq with the CIP to Wells Fargo. All the chips were against this working (VISA/obvious mortgage lender) but with the helpful Plastiq guide on dischurners it went through and it was smooth as butter for 3x.... once. And then that beautifulness died a quick death because where the internet giveth, the internet taketh away.

Thanks guys for helping with my Plastiq questions. At least I got one 200$ 3x charge through (shrug). Today my 2000$ tuition went through at 1x and while sad, it's still helpful for MSR. So still thank you!

can someone check my link for csp? When I click it its saying something about not current offer redirecting. If its not a valid link anymore how can I create a new one? its been a while since I did the links. thanks

It should still work, as long as it redirects to a valid offer it's supposed to still track. But if you want to generate a new one, in the app select the 3 dots on your card and from the menu select the refer option. I hit the invite button, rather than the email button, and it will generate a link to share. Or from the website, I search for the general "support" a friend page and go through there. I used to see most options in my Offers page, but somehow after applying for CIC they mixed my business and personal info together (despite my not using anything the same aside from SSN) so now I only get business offers there. :sad2: Thanks but no thanks Chase, I don't need a POS payments processing terminal for my Disney card... sigh...

I’d guess if you product change that would be fine. (As long as you don’t plan to alter that reservation at all after booking it). This is purely a guess though.

I think I'm just going to go for it and plan on convincing DH to get a CSR (maybe a CSP too!) in late spring/early summer 2019. Then we can use his to book the trip. I'm hoping to use the points at the last possible minute by booking with Disney and paying the deposit then transferring to Chase and paying the remainder with URs closer to trip time. So it would be better to not have to worry about keeping my card.
I've been pricing out our vacation and hoping to cover as much as we can for my parents to come with us, I need to acquire a lot of URs! :mickeyjum

I think I'm just going to go for it and plan on convincing DH to get a CSR (maybe a CSP too!) in late spring/early summer 2019. Then we can use his to book the trip. I'm hoping to use the points at the last possible minute by booking with Disney and paying the deposit then transferring to Chase and paying the remainder with URs closer to trip time. So it would be better to not have to worry about keeping my card.
I've been pricing out our vacation and hoping to cover as much as we can for my parents to come with us, I need to acquire a lot of URs! :mickeyjum

Have you applied for the CIP..you get 80,000UR times 2 that’s a lot of URs for your trip

FWIW I was able to book the Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa in Dubai for 5 nights. Marriott wasn't able to do it and they had to get me with an SPG person to make the booking. They were charging 67.5K per night with 5th night free, not the 60K that the current cat 7's are supposed to go for at this time. I wasn't going to quibble. Depending on our work calendars we may keep this reservation or move it to a later date. I wanted to see what would happen with trying to book an all suite, all inclusive property.

Have you applied for the CIP..you get 80,000UR times 2 that’s a lot of URs for your trip
Thanks, I did get the CIP and already got the bonus! And then I got DH to get one too, which gives me hope that I can convince him again to get more if they're spaced out enough. With 3 kids and grandparents, planing to stay deluxe with park hoppers and the dining plan for a week I'm trying to get as many URs as they'll give me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter