I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double checking: has anyone bought Disney gift cards online at BJs using their Chase Freedom? It seems some cards are at an 8% discount online but I didn’t see them that cheap in store. Just wanted to be sure that I would still be eligible for the 5% bonus categories with Chase Freedom if buying online...
Thanks for the heads up about the 8% off!

CC application fail - not unfreezing equifax. Oops. Called Chase and it's all ok now, but a pain and I was worried they'd look and notice the DD a few months ago and say no. They said it should show up in 1-2 weeks. Fail #2 - not reminding DH to ask them to expedite it until he was off the phone. So now we will wait. Sharing so someone can learn from our mistakes.

Hello All!

TOTAL newbie here (as evidenced by generic profile pic!)....but a long time lurker across many of these threads.
After MUCH reading, I'm excited to try this hobby. But, would love some guidance, given the ever changing nature of the game. And, you guys always seem so nice to the new folks.

Would love a starting point given what I've got on my desk at the moment, so here goes!

I am currently 0/24
Holding one (*gasp*) Visa for too many years to count

Credit score in the 800s
Not against business cards

Reluctant P2--though I'm hoping to convince as this goes along

Am sitting on the coveted 100K Amex Plat mailer--it expires mid November, was thinking I could attempt the triple dip credit if I timed it correctly? (I understand this only works if I don't plan to KEEP it)

Was originally considering the CSR, but given I'm starting at 0 URs, maybe need to save that for redemption down the road and start with CSP, especially as the referrals come into play?
Not interested in the Southwest offers for now. They just aren't the best airline for the airports near me....too many stops to get where we need to go!
Would like to focus on travel abroad--either Europe, or further, but not opposed to other trips, either. No hurry to plan the trip. I get that it takes time to accumulate points. Prob not until mid 2020 at least.

What seems to be the best strategy for maximizing my 5/24 slots, given the Amex Plat thrown in there?
CSP now
Amex Plat
CIP
?
?

I'm hopeful to throw a referral to P2 as the MSRs allow.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much!

:welcome:

0/24 is a great place to be. Due to the mailer and you being at 0/24 I am going to concur with @platamama who pretty much gave the same advice I was about to write. Normally, most of us would advocate for the Chase cards first. But, since you've got the credit card world at your feet and you were mailed an Amex unicorn then make sue you get the unicorn. If the meeting MSR isn't an issue then get the CIP first and the Amex Platicorn just before the mailer expires. If you don't plan to keep the Amex Plat long term do make certain you keep the Amex BBP to keep the points alive when you cancel the Plat.

You are in a fairly decent spot if you aren't planing for a trip until mid 2020. My advice has and always will be plan two years out. Give yourself one year to accumulate the points you will need. You want them in place when you book which should be close to one year out. This is especially true if you are looking to secure business or first class to Europe. Once you have variable points (Chase UR, Amex MR) in place, you may want to focus on specific airline miles. If your closest airline happens to be a hub then it would be prudent to focus on that airline. We have some Delta hostages on the thread and I'm an AA hostage, we also have a few United fans so you've got the legacy airlines covered when it comes to the advice part for international travel.

***ETA: I just saw that your mailer expires in November. To do a triple dip you need to apply in December.

Welcome to the thread! :flower1:

You are in a great position to rack up some serious points/miles!

If I were in your shoes I would definitely take that 100K Plat mailer, that is one that many here yearn for.

As @palhockeymomof2 (eta: and @tink1970) suggests, getting the CIP should be high on your priority list. Then, if you're ok with business cards, I would recommend getting those at a rate commiserate with your spending ability (CIC, CIU, any AMEX biz cards) before taking on personal cards. With Chase you need 30 days in between applications though most here are going to recommend spreading those applications out at 3-4 months intervals. That's where the AMEX biz cards really help with filling in the gaps between Chase applications.

Here's one suggestion for cards, in order:
AMEX Plat 100K
CIP
AMEX Blue Business Plus (self refer from your Plat)
CIC
[evaluate airlines, hotels that are in the areas you're interested in visiting to determine what points you want to build up]
AMEX Business (Hilton? SPG? Delta?)
CIU
CSP

Any questions, lots of people on here to help.

Totally agree!

Last edited:

Now to decide about my R-C and MB Amex Plat...

I'll let you know how it goes with the Schwab. My anniversary date on it is next month.

I’m debating what to do with my MB Plat. It’ll auto-convert to a vanilla Plat on 1/11/19. Amex has given cardmembers the option to close it before then, but I’m not going to and risk a bonus clawback. Its anniversary comes up in April, so I probably have until May to pay the second year AF or cancel and get a refund, and lots of time to think.

The idea was to cancel it and apply for the Schwab Plat for the possible cashout. But realistically, I won’t be cashing out anytime soon as I’d prefer to transfer the points to an airline partner. So the only reason I’d get the Schwab Plat is for the 60k MR welcome bonus and FOMO over rumors that Amex may one day deny Plat applications/bonuses for having or having had another flavor of Plat. That, and the fact that you can now self-refer and universally refer makes the vanilla Plat so much more valuable with its 15k MR referral bonus, whereas the co-branded Plats (Ameriprise, MB, Schwab, MS) don’t have the ability to refer or self-refer.

ETA: The Biz Plat and BBP also have the ability to universally refer and self-refer for 15k MR per approval, but the 55k MR annual cap is a bit of a limit (giving each card 3 “full” referral bonuses a year). I don’t have the BBP yet, so I guess I could use one of the vanilla Plat’s 15k MR self-referrals to open up a BBP, then close the vanilla Plat, without really losing a card with the ability to self-refer for 15k MR.

Last edited:

I am not quite done with the BGR and the personal Gold (is it PGR?) has not yet even came yet but plotting next MR move. I am having Platinum envy! Assuming you don’t know if you will keep/cancel a Plat it sounds like best time to get it is December 1. Is that right? So you can easily triple dip the credit?

Far from being a chosen one given a unicorn I will probably just have to settle for a self referral and the 60k offer or need to call and see if I can get an offer on the Biz. Just wondering when I should start my operation get an Amex Platinum campaign...

I am not quite done with the BGR and the personal Gold (is it PGR?) has not yet even came yet but plotting next MR move. I am having Platinum envy! Assuming you don’t know if you will keep/cancel a Plat it sounds like best time to get it is December 1. Is that right? So you can easily triple dip the credit?

Far from being a chosen one given a unicorn I will probably just have to settle for a self referral and the 60k offer or need to call and see if I can get an offer on the Biz. Just wondering when I should start my operation get an Amex Platinum campaign...

December is best, but folks were triple dipping their Thanksgiving Plats, so it’s possible to time a triple dip for the latter half of November. The first year AF posts at the end of the first month’s statement, and the second year AF appears on the 13th statement. You have 30 days from the close of the statement on which the (second year) AF posts to cancel the card for a full refund.

Two of my Amex personal cards opened this year had their first month’s statement close 25-26 days after approval. However, I’ve read first statements can close anywhere from a week to four weeks after approval, so there’s a small risk of the first statement closing too early, which would have the effect of the 13th statement closing too early to do the third dip. I believe you can ask Amex to change the statement date, but that’s not something I’ve ever had to worry about.

Since you have some control over the timing, because as far as you know you’re not targeted for the 100k MR Plat, applying in December is the safest move. Don’t settle for the 60k MR offer on the Plat. You can pretty easily pull the 75k MR offer in incognito mode, or if you have an Amex card from which you can self-refer yourself for the Platinum at 60k MR with a 15k MR referral bonus then that has the same net bonus too.

They really need to anticipate demand better. C’mon Amex, get it together. Still waiting for my SPG Lux Card and I upgraded a month ago.

Yes I am still waiting for my Lux too. Seeing as the AF posted today with the statement close I am a little annoyed. And then of course even more annoyed now that it sounds like I might not get the personal gold before I leave for WDW next Monday. I thought giving it 2 weeks for the card to arrive was enough time! If I had thought I wouldn’t get it I would have waited and applied after we got home.

The churning struggle is real. :)

Thanks @Lain for the response on the Plat. I will try to resist until a decent offer. You guys all just love them so much much though it is hard.

This may not be of interest since it has to do with the business cards, but I will share how we got into the MR ecosystem in case anyone might benefit. DH started getting targeted Amex mailers about ~9 months after setting up a business - he applied for an EIN (free), and filed some registration form with the Sect. of State ($10). It was 1099 work for a former employer, so it was really more of a "business" that he did for a couple of weeks. But he got a 75K/$5K BGR mailer last December, and then in March got a tiered 100K-150K/$10K-$20K Amex Biz Plat mailer. Since those were mailed to his business name, it makes sense to me that those were steps that put him on Amex's business radar.

He has since gotten targeted bonus spending offers like 20K/$5K BGR, and 25K/$5K Biz Plat. I don't know why :confused3. I was surprised and happy to see that meeting spend by buying prepaid MCGCs at Staples with the 10% Amex offer on his BGR still got him the 20K bonus even with L3 reporting. Apparently it's just a no-no for meeting initial signup bonus MSR? (Or maybe they will claw it back? :()

I don't get any special mailers like that. It was lucky for me that @Lain shared about calling in for the 100K/$10K Biz Plat offer this summer, and self referring from that to other Amex biz cards. That's how I got into the Amex MR game, the Biz Plat is my first MR earning card. I just got the Amex Gold, and I think the next Amex card is going to be the BBP.

Yes I am still waiting for my Lux too. Seeing as the AF posted today with the statement close I am a little annoyed. And then of course even more annoyed now that it sounds like I might not get the personal gold before I leave for WDW next Monday. I thought giving it 2 weeks for the card to arrive was enough time! If I had thought I wouldn’t get it I would have waited and applied after we got home.

i asked amex about that when i was seeing if they would expedite my BBP. they told me to expect it around first week of Nov.

I’m debating what to do with my MB Plat. It’ll auto-convert to a vanilla Plat on 1/11/19. Amex has given cardmembers the option to close it before then, but I’m not going to and risk a bonus clawback. Its anniversary comes up in April, so I probably have until May to pay the second year AF or cancel and get a refund, and lots of time to think.

The idea was to cancel it and apply for the Schwab Plat for the possible cashout. But realistically, I won’t be cashing out anytime soon as I’d prefer to transfer the points to an airline partner. So the only reason I’d get the Schwab Plat is for the 60k MR welcome bonus and FOMO over rumors that Amex may one day deny Plat applications/bonuses for having or having had another flavor of Plat. That, and the fact that you can now self-refer and universally refer makes the vanilla Plat so much more valuable with its 15k MR referral bonus, whereas the co-branded Plats (Ameriprise, MB, Schwab, MS) don’t have the ability to refer or self-refer.

ETA: The Biz Plat and BBP also have the ability to universally refer and self-refer for 15k MR per approval, but the 55k MR annual cap is a bit of a limit (giving each card 3 “full” referral bonuses a year). I don’t have the BBP yet, so I guess I could use one of the vanilla Plat’s 15k MR self-referrals to open up a BBP, then close the vanilla Plat, without really losing a card with the ability to self-refer for 15k MR.

I was never going to cash out with Schwab since I value miles/points far more than cash. IIRC I picked up the Schwab due to the timing and convenience of making the MSR and figured I likely wouldn't be able to triple dip. If I am unable to secure a mailer or offer for the business plat without the lifetime language then I will have DH refer me or I will self refer in December. I'm kicking myself for cancelling the blasted thing out of spite when the points back went from 50% to 35%. Although I have no intention of cancelling the Biz Plat once I have another one, getting the airline credit in December and again in January will make the AF slightly more palatable. The plan for next year is for me to keep the personal and a business plat and have DH and a few family members as AUs. I was offered a bonus for 4 AUs on my Plat and took it since I was going to be doing that anyhow, so why not get and extra 20K MR in the process. Then when DH's AF on his personal plat comes due, he can cancel or PC to the green card assuming he doesn't get another spectacular retention offer.

The BBP is a keeper and gets all my non category bonus spend now when I'm not trying to meet an MSR.

I hear you about the FOMO. If I can get away with it on the MSR, I'm looking at the Ameriprise Plat next for a triple dip.

Wait for the unicorn to appear. You will only get to see it once. You may not get the unicorn with a triple dip but you can certainly get it and double dip. The extra 40K MR is worth more than the extra airline credit. The only reason IMO to settle for a 60K on a personal plat is when you have already taken advantage a 100K Amex Platicorn and cancelled, then received an offer for 60K without the lifetime bonus language. Patience young grasshopper :D (yes, I'm dating myself here) wait for the unicorn.

Last edited:
Hot as can be too! So glad I'm here tho!

We'll be there Nov 2. Starting out at Poly for one night (request from daughter - I guess for some nostalgia as we used to be Poly concierge regulars before DVC.) Then on to a one bedroom at BWV. I'm hoping it gets considerably cooler there in the next 2 weeks as I've gotten in the habit of booking for food and wine as close to the end as I can safely book 11 months out.

We have been having a cold snap in Nashville too. It is already gray and wet and cold.
Last week we were pushing 90/record highs. Then it was suddenly 50s. It hasn't stopped raining since the outer bands of Michael came through last week. Gosh I hate it here. :sad2: I don't know how I will make it through the winter. At least I have Destin to look forward to tomorrow and DCL in December.
ETA: oh and charleston for thanksgiving. Now there is something to perk me up!

Okay - you sound like me when cooler/cold weather starts - I just want to go somewhere warm until Spring. I've already booked starting 2nd week in January and will stay almost 2 weeks in Florida, returning for the last week of January and some family birthdays,etc. Then, I'm going back in February for another 2 weeks but have made no arrangements yet. Mostly because I will play it by ear and decide based on weather predictions in my area when to bug out, lol! I may even land in Charleston for a few days and definitely in Hilton Head. Lots of cheap weekly condos there in February.

Unfortunately, all I have on the travel docket is Houston in Nov

At least it should be warm. I actually want to go back to South Texas some day just to eat some barbecue and great gulf shrimp.

It could be if you'd take a little side trip 90 miles down Hwy 6 to Aggieland.

I might head in the opposite direction and hit the beach/shore in Galveston for a night if it were me. I did attend one memorable Texas A and I (but no A and M) game before I left South Texas in the early 80ties and that was the Navy game where Darryl Green had just been drafted to the Redskins. He ran the field to cheers that probably could be heard in Corpus. His first year in Washington and I got to return from my exile as well that year but later that year ended up in Newport, RI.

my MIL will be trying to order a vegetarian meal because she "doesn't want us to spend money on her." I'd rather tell her it's already paid for and just to order the filet mignon.

Congrats on booking this trip! I always look at the vegetarian options as I eat only small amounts of meat though I'm not a vegetarian per se. Can't bring myself to pay $30 for a meal that is called 'cauliflower steak'. Yikes! I'd actually prefer to spend the premium for the real filet and just take 3/4 home for leftovers. Somebody usually eats before I get to it, and having DVC we always have some sort of fridge. I find it's often best for me to order a couple of pricy appetizers and dessert than a main meal. Something like a flatbread app will just about fill me after half and then I have no desire for a main course, so its either/or most meals. So mostly I order soup and an app with some kind of meat or fish on it. I find too much food overwhelming, especially as I get older.

Just got finished talking to a younger co-worker about the SW CP. He and his GF fly them frequently so they could really make use of it. He currently has a Premier that he upgrade a bit ago from the Plus that he had for 5-6 years. So we are working on his strategy to get CP for 19-20. He is a legit side business with an EIN so he is in good shape to make it happen between closing his existing card and getting the Biz. I hope he actually follows through.

Just got finished talking to a younger co-worker about the SW CP. He and his GF fly them frequently so they could really make use of it. He currently has a Premier that he upgrade a bit ago from the Plus that he had for 5-6 years. So we are working on his strategy to get CP for 19-20. He is a legit side business with an EIN so he is in good shape to make it happen between closing his existing card and getting the Biz. I hope he actually follows through.

You are at work already? I sure don't miss those early mornings leaving my house at o dark thirty!

Great job on helping him to get started on the SW strategy! I'm finding a lot of younger people are sort of reluctant because of what I call credit card fear. I think it is probably a healthy fear for most because it is oh so easy to get caught up in over spending with credit cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter