I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have the Priority Pass with my CSR. We fly out of the small airport in MSP so there is nothing there to use it on. Am I understanding that the Priority Lounges are not easy to get to when flying Southwest. I think I can take me plus 2 others and then just pay for the 4th - If that works out correct? Never been in a lounge before so would kind of be cool. Is the MCO one worth it - or too much hassle to get too?

I would say that it's worth it, if you have never been to a lounge before. The food is more like cold finger food (small sandwiches) and soup rather than a full meal. Me and SO always hit up the bar as they have a decent beer selection and the service is great. A big part of the lounge for me is having a comfortable place to sit that's much quieter than the terminal. The Club at MCO can also be really crowded sometimes. You can kind of see the inside of the lounge before you enter so that may also be a deciding factor of whether to pay for the 4th guest or not.

There is also a chance you will have you go through TSA again to get back to the SW terminal since they block access to the monorail transfer randomly. When me and SO went last month, we could transfer from terminal to terminal with no problems. When we went in January, we had to go back through TSA again. I would just plan around an hour or so just in case (if you have Pre-check or not).

Welcome @Fischstick - I just wanted to say how much I love a post that starts 'Total newbie here' and then talks about 'triple dipping' the Amex credit. :D You certainly have been doing your reading. Instant respect.

If you can meet the MSR - I would maybe suggest applying for Amex Plat and CIP or CSP or CSR on the same day. However, you may want to tread carefully beyond that - with only one credit card - you may have what they call a 'thin credit profile' and obtaining too much new credit too quickly may make lenders wary. Of course, if you have a history containing Mortgages and other loans then this may be less of a concern.

Good luck with your apps and welcome to the party. :welcome:
Hee hee.....maybe should've said total newbie to the forum? Ha! Yes, I've done a BUNCH of reading........

Oh gosh, I have to keep up with another forum?!? I'm not on Reddit. But thank you, I will check it out.

You are awesome. I hadn't really thought about the % fees and putting payments on it. I will look into those options as well. Hopefully we won't owe any federal income taxes this year.

I have not canceled the Premier VISA. I didn't realize I couldn't have 2 personal. I thought I couldn't have been accepted for 5 in a 2 yr period. Guess I need to go back and analyze everything with a fine tooth comb.

The 2 personal SW card rule is new this year...prior to that you could have two...so you’d have to cancel the one you currently have to apply for another personal...you mentioned in a later post maybe only getting 1 CP....if your husband does not have a SW personal card...you could just have him get the CP

Worked like a charm yesterday. So I guess what we could do is buy a giftcard in store using Walmart Pay linked to Chase Pay linked to a CF and then go outside to the Murphy gas station to get the 5% for gas this quarter.
You have a way to make chase pay instore work? Or do you have a diff phone, other than apple?

Welcome to the thread! :flower1:

You are in a great position to rack up some serious points/miles!

If I were in your shoes I would definitely take that 100K Plat mailer, that is one that many here yearn for.

As @palhockeymomof2 (eta: and @tink1970) suggests, getting the CIP should be high on your priority list. Then, if you're ok with business cards, I would recommend getting those at a rate commiserate with your spending ability (CIC, CIU, any AMEX biz cards) before taking on personal cards. With Chase you need 30 days in between applications though most here are going to recommend spreading those applications out at 3-4 months intervals. That's where the AMEX biz cards really help with filling in the gaps between Chase applications.

Here's one suggestion for cards, in order:
AMEX Plat 100K
CIP
AMEX Blue Business Plus (self refer from your Plat)
CIC
[evaluate airlines, hotels that are in the areas you're interested in visiting to determine what points you want to build up]
AMEX Business (Hilton? SPG? Delta?)
CIU
CSP

Any questions, lots of people on here to help.

You see? THIS is why I finally jumped in! I had never even considered doing the CIP first. Thanks!

Yep, same. Roads were fine thankfully but when it gets that cold, visions of moving to FL start dancing in my head lol. I was ready to pack the house up, go without a job and not worry about how schooling would work for the kids. Just get me out of the cold!!!

LOL! I saw the word "snow" and shuddered! This isn't where I tell you we went to the beach yesterday and it was crowded, right? :laughing:

On the card front, DD's rose gold AU arrived today whoo hoo AND I cancelled my citi ty prestige. I told the rep (who did nothing as in Not A Thing to dissuade me) that their website and IT were horrible and I didn't want to pay $450/year for a card I can't use because it's impossible to use the benefits and nearly impossible to pay my card (note-I have the app on my phone but he didn't need to know that!). Feels good to get rid of it- if I had ever used the 4th night free I might have a different opinion but now I'm happy to have one less AF looming. Now to decide about my R-C and MB Amex Plat...

If you haven't seen the GC thread and are interested, Staples.com has Happy Guy GCs for $51.99 (shipping fee), but 10% off currently. So they are $46.79 for $50, and I ordered two to hopefully trigger the RMN offer of $5 back on $80+. If it works (and you have AMEX 10% offer left - d'oh!) it's $84.22 for $100 in GCs + $5 from RMN = about 19.8% off.

I may give this a go. I could actually use them for Home Depot since I am always doing projects around the house. 20% off a brick accent wall in my DH/boys' man cave would be nice.

Last edited:
Yep, same. Roads were fine thankfully but when it gets that cold, visions of moving to FL start dancing in my head lol. I was ready to pack the house up, go without a job and not worry about how schooling would work for the kids. Just get me out of the cold!!!
We have been having a cold snap in Nashville too. It is already gray and wet and cold.
Last week we were pushing 90/record highs. Then it was suddenly 50s. It hasn't stopped raining since the outer bands of Michael came through last week. Gosh I hate it here. :sad2: I don't know how I will make it through the winter. At least I have Destin to look forward to tomorrow and DCL in December.
ETA: oh and charleston for thanksgiving. Now there is something to perk me up!

We have been having a cold snap in Nashville too. It is already gray and wet and cold.
Last week we were pushing 90/record highs. Then it was suddenly 50s. It hasn't stopped raining since the outer bands of Michael came through last week. Gosh I hate it here. :sad2: I don't know how I will make it through the winter. At least I have Destin to look forward to tomorrow and DCL in December.
ETA: oh and charleston for thanksgiving. Now there is something to perk me up!

That would all give me hope too! Unfortunately, all I have on the travel docket is Houston in Nov lol. Not quite as fun and exciting sounding :(

I just realized, reading along here, that we’ve never even thought about there being a lounge at MCO. It’s likely because we get there as late as possible and our plane is usually boarding or about to board as we reach the gate. Still odd though, since we are always researching lounges before we travel. Thanks for the info!

The 2 personal SW card rule is new this year...prior to that you could have two...so you’d have to cancel the one you currently have to apply for another personal...you mentioned in a later post maybe only getting 1 CP....if your husband does not have a SW personal card...you could just have him get the CP

He's an AU on mine tho. That would count as him having one, right?

To our new friends joining us here...

First off, WELCOME! You will find our group to be very kind and our advice to be lucrative!

I want to invite you all to join DISchurners. This is our private Reddit group where we keep track of some of our best tips. We also have threads where you can use support links of a fellow DISer when signing up for a new card. This is a great way to thank somebody for taking the time to give you advice. You can also share your support links there as well.

If you want to join, just send me a PM here on the DIS (or Lain or Albort). If you are new and not able to send a PM yet just say something on this thread.

Double checking: has anyone bought Disney gift cards online at BJs using their Chase Freedom? It seems some cards are at an 8% discount online but I didn’t see them that cheap in store. Just wanted to be sure that I would still be eligible for the 5% bonus categories with Chase Freedom if buying online...

Double checking: has anyone bought Disney gift cards online at BJs using their Chase Freedom? It seems some cards are at an 8% discount online but I didn’t see them that cheap in store. Just wanted to be sure that I would still be eligible for the 5% bonus categories with Chase Freedom if buying online...

Yep, buying online counts on the Freedom, go for it :)

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. There’s a LOT here, so I wanted to take some time to unpack this. I’ll start out with getting more Ultimate Rewards (“UR”) points first --

First, as you know, Chase has a so-called 5/24 rule, which restricts many of their cards with lucrative signup bonuses (including all of Chase’s Ultimate Rewards-earning cards) from approval if you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months. See Chase 5/24 Rule Explained In Detail – Everything You Need To Know. Because of this, it is generally recommended for someone starting out to focus on Chase’s cards that are subject to the 5/24 rule first, before those 5 slots are taken up by cards from other issuers that may not have such strict rules and therefore may still be available after you are at or past 5/24.

The issue is, a lot of your and DH’s most recent credit cards are actually store cards, which may or may not count against the 5/24 rule. Store cards will count against the 5/24 rule if the card can be used outside of that store. If the store card is a Visa, MasterCard, Amex, etc., that can be accepted anywhere cards on those networks are accepted, it will count against 5/24. See Do store cards count towards the limit?. Specifically to your situation, it looks like you have Lowe’s, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, and Justice store cards. I tried looking these up, and it appears Best Buy’s card is on the Visa network, TJ Maxx’s card is a Mastercard, Lowe’s card can only be used at Lowe’s, and the Justice card can only be used at Justice. So Best Buy and TJ Maxx would count, and Lowe’s and Justice shouldn’t count. However, the Lowe’s card still appears on your and your husband’s credit reports, and the Justice card appears on your report. If you’re applying for a Chase credit card, Chase will pull your credit report and see the Lowe’s and Justice card on it. Chase’s automated system may go ahead and count the Lowe’s and Justice card as credit cards opened in the past 24 months. Although they shouldn’t count, the computer doesn’t know how to make that distinction, and if Lowe’s or Justice is the card that puts you at 5/24 and is the reason you’re denied a Chase card that’s subject to the 5/24 rule, then you’ll need to call Chase’s reconsideration line (“recon”) to speak with a human rep and try to get them to disregard the Lowe’s and/or Justice card when counting your */24.

With authorized user (“AU”) cards, they generally count because they appear on your credit report and Chase’s algorithm will just view it as another card opened in the past 24 months. There are some exceptions to this. An AU on a business credit card (or an “employee” card), does not count unless the business card is reported on the credit report, and business credit cards are typically not reported on personal credit reports. And for you, because you think the Lowe’s card on your credit report may be an AU of DH’s Lowe’s card, it may not count if the Lowe’s card doesn’t count. But again, if Chase’s computer does count the Lowe’s card in its initial review, and that puts you or DH at or over 5/24, then you’ll have to call recon and try to convince a human rep to disregard the Lowe’s card. See Authorized Users & Reconsideration.

Generally, we recommend don’t sign up for store cards or adding a spouse (and potential Player 2) as an AU. Store cards usually give paltry savings that you can match with a good promotion, gift carding, and shopping portals, or stacking some combination of these tricks. And since AUs generally count as if the authorized user opened the card itself, but without the bonus, it makes more sense for the other user to open up the card him-/herself for the bonus, and even better if you can refer the other user to that card for a referral bonus to yourself.

So where does that leave you and DH?

It looks like you’re 4/24, but you could possibly be as low as 2/24 if you have to recon.

DH looks like he’s at 4/24, but could possibly be as low as 3/24 if he can get that Lowe’s card disregarded on recon.

Regardless, even at 4/24, you both have 1 clear slot left with which to apply for a Chase card.

You mentioned you have an INK card, and that it was the CIP. Are you sure it’s the Chase Ink Preferred, and not Chase Ink Plus? When did you get this card (must’ve been in the past 2 years, because I believe the CIP was released in October 2017).

I think the first move with DH’s 1 certain slot is for you to refer DH to the CIP. The CIP has a 80k UR signup bonus (+20k UR to you if you refer DH), after a $5k minimum spending requirement (“MSR”) in 3 months. Generate a referral link from your CIP, copy and paste it into an incognito window or another browser, and have DH apply with a side hustle he may have. The CIP (and all Ink cards) are subject to the 5/24 rule, meaning you have to be under 5/24 to apply, but they don’t add to the */24 count because the Ink cards are not reported to your personal credit report. So while DH is nominally 4/24, he still qualifies for the CIP, and being approved for the CIP won’t take up his “last” slot. This would get you 20k UR from the referral bonus if he’s approved, and the signup bonus on the CIP is 80k UR for DH. Chase allows transferring UR points between different UR-earning cards (Freedoms, Sapphires, and Inks), and combining points between people in the same household. So DH can eventually pool his points with you. (It’s a good idea to transfer all UR points into a single pool whenever the statement for each UR-earning card closes, because there are rumors that Chase is looking at restricting UR transfers and pooling.)

Along the same lines, you should use your “last” clear slot to apply for another one of Chase’s Ink cards. Again, Chase also offers the Chase Ink Cash (“CIC”) and Chase Ink Unlimited (“CIU”), which each have 50k UR signup bonuses after spending $3k MSR in 3 months. You have to be under 5/24 to apply, but they don’t add to the */24 count because the Ink cards are not reported to your personal credit report.

If you want to go over the different benefits of the Ink cards, beyond their signup bonuses, let us know.

You mentioned that you both have Sapphires – Is that the Chase Sapphire Preferred (“CSP”) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (“CSR”)? Last summer, Chase implemented a so-called “one Sapphire card” rule that will deny your application for a Sapphire product if you currently hold another Sapphire card or received a signup bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months. See Chase Updates the Terms to Indicate Sapphire Family Limitation. In August, Chase changed the rule again and extended the limit to one signup bonus from any Sapphire card to every 48 months. See Chase Sapphire Cards New 48-Month Signup Bonus Limitation (Instead of 24 Months). If you or DH received a bonus on your Sapphire cards more than 48 months ago, then it’s possible you could get another signup bonus from the CSP or CSR.

Don’t cancel your Sapphire cards! The age of these cards will generally help your credit scores. You can product change (“PC” aka downgrade) them to no fee Chase Freedom Unlimited (“CFU”) or Chase Freedom (“CF”) cards (even if you already currently hold a CF card. If you or DH received a bonus on your Sapphire cards more than 48 months ago, PCing your Sapphire card to a CF/CFU card would get you around that part of the one Sapphire card limitation because you’d no longer have a Sapphire card.

There’s a lot here to digest, and I know it must sound like a foreign language to you. We’ll get you up to speed. If you can reply and clarify some things, that’ll help! And I’ll post more thoughts later, when I can find some time. DO NOT RUSH anything. Because you and DH are at a precarious spot, being possibly at 4/24, you don’t want to make any mistakes. The more detail and precision with card names and dates, and plans and goals generally, the better we can tailor our replies. Although there’s some time sensitivity in this hobby and with a lot of credit card offers, and rules can change suddenly, nothing major is likely to happen if you wait a day.

In the meantime, do you have a reddit account? If not, you can create one and message me, @SouthFayetteFan, or @Albort, and we’ll get you invited to DISchurners.
Sorry it took a while to get back to you. There’s a LOT here, so I wanted to take some time to unpack this. I’ll start out with getting more Ultimate Rewards (“UR”) points first --

First, as you know, Chase has a so-called 5/24 rule, which restricts many of their cards with lucrative signup bonuses (including all of Chase’s Ultimate Rewards-earning cards) from approval if you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months. See Chase 5/24 Rule Explained In Detail – Everything You Need To Know. Because of this, it is generally recommended for someone starting out to focus on Chase’s cards that are subject to the 5/24 rule first, before those 5 slots are taken up by cards from other issuers that may not have such strict rules and therefore may still be available after you are at or past 5/24.

The issue is, a lot of your and DH’s most recent credit cards are actually store cards, which may or may not count against the 5/24 rule. Store cards will count against the 5/24 rule if the card can be used outside of that store. If the store card is a Visa, MasterCard, Amex, etc., that can be accepted anywhere cards on those networks are accepted, it will count against 5/24. See Do store cards count towards the limit?. Specifically to your situation, it looks like you have Lowe’s, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, and Justice store cards. I tried looking these up, and it appears Best Buy’s card is on the Visa network, TJ Maxx’s card is a Mastercard, Lowe’s card can only be used at Lowe’s, and the Justice card can only be used at Justice. So Best Buy and TJ Maxx would count, and Lowe’s and Justice shouldn’t count. However, the Lowe’s card still appears on your and your husband’s credit reports, and the Justice card appears on your report. If you’re applying for a Chase credit card, Chase will pull your credit report and see the Lowe’s and Justice card on it. Chase’s automated system may go ahead and count the Lowe’s and Justice card as credit cards opened in the past 24 months. Although they shouldn’t count, the computer doesn’t know how to make that distinction, and if Lowe’s or Justice is the card that puts you at 5/24 and is the reason you’re denied a Chase card that’s subject to the 5/24 rule, then you’ll need to call Chase’s reconsideration line (“recon”) to speak with a human rep and try to get them to disregard the Lowe’s and/or Justice card when counting your */24.

With authorized user (“AU”) cards, they generally count because they appear on your credit report and Chase’s algorithm will just view it as another card opened in the past 24 months. There are some exceptions to this. An AU on a business credit card (or an “employee” card), does not count unless the business card is reported on the credit report, and business credit cards are typically not reported on personal credit reports. And for you, because you think the Lowe’s card on your credit report may be an AU of DH’s Lowe’s card, it may not count if the Lowe’s card doesn’t count. But again, if Chase’s computer does count the Lowe’s card in its initial review, and that puts you or DH at or over 5/24, then you’ll have to call recon and try to convince a human rep to disregard the Lowe’s card. See Authorized Users & Reconsideration.

Generally, we recommend don’t sign up for store cards or adding a spouse (and potential Player 2) as an AU. Store cards usually give paltry savings that you can match with a good promotion, gift carding, and shopping portals, or stacking some combination of these tricks. And since AUs generally count as if the authorized user opened the card itself, but without the bonus, it makes more sense for the other user to open up the card him-/herself for the bonus, and even better if you can refer the other user to that card for a referral bonus to yourself.

So where does that leave you and DH?

It looks like you’re 4/24, but you could possibly be as low as 2/24 if you have to recon.

DH looks like he’s at 4/24, but could possibly be as low as 3/24 if he can get that Lowe’s card disregarded on recon.

Regardless, even at 4/24, you both have 1 clear slot left with which to apply for a Chase card.

You mentioned you have an INK card, and that it was the CIP. Are you sure it’s the Chase Ink Preferred, and not Chase Ink Plus? When did you get this card (must’ve been in the past 2 years, because I believe the CIP was released in October 2017).

I think the first move with DH’s 1 certain slot is for you to refer DH to the CIP. The CIP has a 80k UR signup bonus (+20k UR to you if you refer DH), after a $5k minimum spending requirement (“MSR”) in 3 months. Generate a referral link from your CIP, copy and paste it into an incognito window or another browser, and have DH apply with a side hustle he may have. The CIP (and all Ink cards) are subject to the 5/24 rule, meaning you have to be under 5/24 to apply, but they don’t add to the */24 count because the Ink cards are not reported to your personal credit report. So while DH is nominally 4/24, he still qualifies for the CIP, and being approved for the CIP won’t take up his “last” slot. This would get you 20k UR from the referral bonus if he’s approved, and the signup bonus on the CIP is 80k UR for DH. Chase allows transferring UR points between different UR-earning cards (Freedoms, Sapphires, and Inks), and combining points between people in the same household. So DH can eventually pool his points with you. (It’s a good idea to transfer all UR points into a single pool whenever the statement for each UR-earning card closes, because there are rumors that Chase is looking at restricting UR transfers and pooling.)

Along the same lines, you should use your “last” clear slot to apply for another one of Chase’s Ink cards. Again, Chase also offers the Chase Ink Cash (“CIC”) and Chase Ink Unlimited (“CIU”), which each have 50k UR signup bonuses after spending $3k MSR in 3 months. You have to be under 5/24 to apply, but they don’t add to the */24 count because the Ink cards are not reported to your personal credit report.

If you want to go over the different benefits of the Ink cards, beyond their signup bonuses, let us know.

You mentioned that you both have Sapphires – Is that the Chase Sapphire Preferred (“CSP”) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (“CSR”)? Last summer, Chase implemented a so-called “one Sapphire card” rule that will deny your application for a Sapphire product if you currently hold another Sapphire card or received a signup bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months. See Chase Updates the Terms to Indicate Sapphire Family Limitation. In August, Chase changed the rule again and extended the limit to one signup bonus from any Sapphire card to every 48 months. See Chase Sapphire Cards New 48-Month Signup Bonus Limitation (Instead of 24 Months). If you or DH received a bonus on your Sapphire cards more than 48 months ago, then it’s possible you could get another signup bonus from the CSP or CSR.

Don’t cancel your Sapphire cards! The age of these cards will generally help your credit scores. You can product change (“PC” aka downgrade) them to no fee Chase Freedom Unlimited (“CFU”) or Chase Freedom (“CF”) cards (even if you already currently hold a CF card. If you or DH received a bonus on your Sapphire cards more than 48 months ago, PCing your Sapphire card to a CF/CFU card would get you around that part of the one Sapphire card limitation because you’d no longer have a Sapphire card.

There’s a lot here to digest, and I know it must sound like a foreign language to you. We’ll get you up to speed. If you can reply and clarify some things, that’ll help! And I’ll post more thoughts later, when I can find some time. DO NOT RUSH anything. Because you and DH are at a precarious spot, being possibly at 4/24, you don’t want to make any mistakes. The more detail and precision with card names and dates, and plans and goals generally, the better we can tailor our replies. Although there’s some time sensitivity in this hobby and with a lot of credit card offers, and rules can change suddenly, nothing major is likely to happen if you wait a day.

In the meantime, do you have a reddit account? If not, you can create one and message me, @SouthFayetteFan, or @Albort, and we’ll get you invited to DISchurners.

This is super helpful, thank you! DH does not have a side hustle but maybe he should start one! I have two things I could potentially do, any chance I could refer myself?

I will go ahead and create a reddit, thank you! Good advice on converting the Sapphires instead of cancelling!

It could be if you'd take a little side trip 90 miles down Hwy 6 to Aggieland...:rolleyes1
LOL! Just checked and they do have a home game that weekend! Unfortunately, we have family stuff all weekend. I'd much rather hit the road and visit all our old stomping grounds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter