• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a mailer for a Chase business checking account today. $300 bonus for $1k deposit maintained for 60 days plus 5 transactions.
Anyone ever do this? Do you need an EIN, legit business, other paperwork? While I don’t have an EIN or business name, I do have a rental property. Also the mailer is in DHs name, could I do it instead? I know it’s in-branch and he would struggle with talking to someone.

Got a mailer for a Chase business checking account today. $300 bonus for $1k deposit maintained for 60 days plus 5 transactions.
Anyone ever do this? Do you need an EIN, legit business, other paperwork? While I don’t have an EIN or business name, I do have a rental property. Also the mailer is in DHs name, could I do it instead? I know it’s in-branch and he would struggle with talking to someone.

i dont think its transferable. Yes, u can go into the bank and open one without EIN or business name. I also did it as the "property manager" of the few i watch over. they just ask you what they would ask you for a credit card app, your business income, your nature of business etc... pretty simple easy questions.

i did however make a mistake and consider bank transfers as one of the 5 transactions... just do 5 debit transactions at a store and u will get the bonus.

Southwest Credit Card - why I'm not cancelling...
So an interesting comment that may matter to some people here. As you may be aware, I like to hoard SW points...I know some others like to as well. I currently have over 500k SW RR points, the VAST majority of which are in my account.

I've mentioned this before, but I consider my SW points as part of my emergency fund*. I know that seems a little goofy, but here me out... IF you have a SW credit card you can redeem SW points at 1cpp for many gift cards, including Amazon, Target and Walmart. In the event of a job loss or if we went without income for some period of time, I could quickly convert my RRs into thousands of dollars that could support my family with basic necessities and groceries. IF you don't have a SW credit card, I believe many (all?) the gift card redemptions are at a lesser rate.
*of course we also have an actual emergency fund so this would be a pretty extreme example, but I like knowing I have an option to cash out at a decent rate if necessary.

I was starting to think about whether I'd cancel my SW cards as AFs will roll around soon. For this reason above, I will be sure to keep at least 1 of them active (and of course the annual bonus points largely offset the fee too and I'll definitely try hard for a waived AF via retention). Just some food for thought! :)

truth be told, is why i ask... :P

edit: i also forgot, i think 5/24 applies to BOA cards too.
Yeah - BoA has their own special set of rules that they seem to apply selectively. They used to be a prime churning opportunity but anymore, I can't even keep up with their anti-churning efforts and rules. I'm sorta glad they don't have any of the major cards I'm interested in.

Yeah - BoA has their own special set of rules that they seem to apply selectively. They used to be a prime churning opportunity but anymore, I can't even keep up with their anti-churning efforts and rules. I'm sorta glad they don't have any of the major cards I'm interested in.

alaska card is the only card id be interested in...
maybe amtrak... but meh.

Got DH's Rose Gold card. It's not too pink, lol. Used Grubhub pickup for lunch at work. Spent $12.50. If the 20% off dining applies, then lunch was "free". :) Went through Ibotta for 4% cashback. Any other stacking opportunities without having to create a new account?

For the airline incidentals credit - since it's a new card, can I put off picking an airline? I may end up having to buy a gift card and sell it. Did a cursory look, looks like Southwest GCs get the best price?

SW GCs are currently flooded. advised not go get SW cards currently.
DL cards will be flooded coming in 2 months, buy now and sell now.
AA cards are still pretty stable and in my opinion the safest route.

Just to add to this, you have until the end of January every year to select your airline, but Amex’s chat reps will usually help you select one even later in the year if you haven’t selected one, or even change your selection if you haven’t used any of that year’s credit.

SW and AA are preferable selections because you can buy a single GC up to $250 (the Aspire credit amount, or a single $100 on the Gold, or a single $200 on the Plats) vs. $50 GCs for Delta, and the airline fee credit will reimburse. This makes SW and AA easier to resell and redeem.

Some recent DPs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/aei28d/comment/edpeli4?st=JQYEDZNW&sh=fa4ff3fd

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...200-100-reimbursement-reports-aa-only-95.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...rsement-reports-wn-fl-southwest-only-104.html

But as @Albort said, the SW GC resale market is flooded, and I have no reason to doubt it. From a resell perspective, SW GCs often go on sale directly from authorized resellers like PPDG and Gyft, usually for 10% off, whereas AA GCs rarely go on sale. SW flyers generally are more budget minded too. All of which makes pricing SW GCs for resell more competitive.

Ok, well, disregard on my earlier comments about PNC Growth. I don't know what zip code the website was using when I first saw that rate, but it wasn't mine! Which is weird since I don't have PNC banks anywhere near me. Oh well.

But as @Albort said, the SW GC resale market is flooded, and I have no reason to doubt it. From a resell perspective, SW GCs often go on sale directly from authorized resellers like PPDG and Gyft, usually for 10% off, whereas AA GCs rarely go on sale. SW flyers generally are more budget minded too. All of which makes pricing SW GCs for resell more competitive.

actually its cuz of this --> https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bjs-wholesale-club-giftcards-on-sale-hotels-com-southwest-more-5/
"Update 10/28/18: We erroneously stated there was a limit of three gift cards that could be purchased. This is not accurate, no limit is enforced. Additionally it has been confirmed that these deals can be purchased with the current free membership."

i know ppl who bought $10k+ just to sell. went from 87 --> 83% of value. currently.
but what u said can also be true too.

edit: also worth noting, the google pixel deal, there will be a lot of ppl with SW and Delta cards to see when they complete their side of the deal with Google... $800 travel credit in SW, Hotels.com and Delta will be released to the masses.

Happy (very) belated New Year's everyone! While we're on the topic of SW...I have a sort-of-MS question!

I'm getting antsy about my SW CP spend since I really want to go ahead and book LA flights for early May now that I'm back from vacation (first cruise ever. It was great and I'm hoping to talk DH into a Cozumel trip eventually!).

I have until about 2/9 to meet the spend for the Biz and 3/10 for the Priority. I seem recall someone (@SouthFayetteFan?) mentioning a trick where you can book the expensive refundable SW flights to meet MSR and then cancel the flights to get your money back, but the spend still counts? Is that terribly un-kosher and does that look bad to Chase? As of September-ish I know that refunded charges still counted towards the spend but I want to lay looooooooow.

I'd try the PNC funding trick except that I want to save it for if I try the modified double dip in late Feb/March. Unless you can open more than two accounts with PNC and fund them with CCs? Is that possible?

I did this back in September. It was a royal PITA and I have a legit business. I had to produce a Fictitious Name document (which also required that I place an ad in a local paper and keep proof) because I don't have an EIN. I tried to open it as a sole proprietorship but they wouldn't allow that (I can't recall the reason *edited to add I recall now -- it's because my business is in my maiden name and all my legal docs are in my married name*). I did all the paperwork because I needed the account anyways, but I wouldn't do it just for the bonus. My bonus (which was $200.00) posted in December. The banker also submitted all the paperwork for the CIP which was approved almost immediately (they needed a day to review the business paperwork).

I did a bank bonus with 5th 3rd in the summer. Easiest ever -- open an account, deposit $500.00, keep it there for 90 days and get $250.00. I withdrew the funds and closed the account after about 120 days without a problem

Last edited:
Pleasant surprise. Was checking my bank balances and noticed I had more money in savings than I thought I should, turns out it was from a referral. Not sure who since I posted it on dischurners but also on DOC which is probably where it came from since I posted pretty early. It's for BECU which is Boeing's credit union so not many on here would qualify for membership.

Happy (very) belated New Year's everyone! While we're on the topic of SW...I have a sort-of-MS question!

I'm getting antsy about my SW CP spend since I really want to go ahead and book LA flights for early May now that I'm back from vacation (first cruise ever. It was great and I'm hoping to talk DH into a Cozumel trip eventually!).

I have until about 2/9 to meet the spend for the Biz and 3/10 for the Priority. I seem recall someone (@SouthFayetteFan?) mentioning a trick where you can book the expensive refundable SW flights to meet MSR and then cancel the flights to get your money back, but the spend still counts? Is that terribly un-kosher and does that look bad to Chase? As of September-ish I know that refunded charges still counted towards the spend but I want to lay looooooooow.

I'd try the PNC funding trick except that I want to save it for if I try the modified double dip in late Feb/March. Unless you can open more than two accounts with PNC and fund them with CCs? Is that possible?
To the best of my knowledge I have posted about the refundable SW trick for 2 uses:
  • Using your $300 Travel Credit on CSR quickly before downgrading
  • Earning the remaining pts needed to attain a CP if you fall short (i.e. if you did a 40k personal and 60k biz and you were 5k SW Pts short) so you purchase refundable flights on your SW card to earn 2x SW pts.
In the CSR instance I’d be sure to “re-spend” the money after getting the refund. In the SW instance you could wait until your Anniversary points post which would offset the neg pts balance sitting on your card.

Yours would be a third and distinctly different instance (that would also work). I would not necessarily recommend buying refundable SW flights to hit the MSR...but you could do it, just make sure you cancel long after the period is up and spend money to offset the credit then vs asking for a check. In your scenario I’d probably look to buy gift cards (either to grocery or stores you frequent OR VGCs) or prepay bills instead.

Oh cool! When did you get your first AA Biz? Are you planning to do the 95 day plan? :) You might be our guinea pig for this whole thing haha.
Not quite that fast. Lol I got it in July. Need to finish CIC spend for DH. Then that one is up next. Also want SW Biz (for DH) but need to pace myself. If I had put cruise balance on CIC I’d be done with MSR but I had to go CSR for more points.

We don’t fly AA. Their routes have never been the most convenient or cheapest for where we travel. Using AA miles for Disney is intriguing, but my wife would kill me if I was opening up AA cards every few months in addition to whatever else I still want from Chase and Amex, not to mention eventually BofA and Barclays. I’m going to drop back under 5/24 in March and I’ve got some “business” with Chase and don’t want the grAAvy train to get in the way of that. And I’ll be shocked if the grAAvy train is still taking riders when I’m ready to say bye to Chase.

i dont think its transferable. Yes, u can go into the bank and open one without EIN or business name. I also did it as the "property manager" of the few i watch over. they just ask you what they would ask you for a credit card app, your business income, your nature of business etc... pretty simple easy questions.

i did however make a mistake and consider bank transfers as one of the 5 transactions... just do 5 debit transactions at a store and u will get the bonus.
The card that says “Bring to your local branch” has an offer code but not DHs name. Only the outside of the mailer has his name so I thought it might work.

I did this back in September. It was a royal PITA and I have a legit business. I had to produce a Fictitious Name document (which also required that I place an ad in a local paper and keep proof) because I don't have an EIN. I tried to open it as a sole proprietorship but they wouldn't allow that (I can't recall the reason). I did all the paperwork because I needed the account anyways, but I wouldn't do it just for the bonus. My bonus (which was $200.00) posted in December. The banker also submitted all the paperwork for the CIP which was approved almost immediately (they needed a day to review the business paperwork).

I did a bank bonus with 5th 3rd in the summer. Easiest ever -- open an account, deposit $500.00, keep it there for 90 days and get $250.00. I withdrew the funds and closed the account after about 120 days without a problem
Already did the 5th3rd but that would be a hard nope if Chase asked me for all that. I don’t need the account and we have our personal banking at Chase so no need to muddy that.

Is that the same one that is part of the 'marriott village' that @calypso726 has mentioned? I am willing to consider that one for our F&N cert if I cannot come up with another option.

No the Marriott village is a Sprinhill Suites, Fairfield Inn and Courtyard near-ish to Disney Springs

The hotels we stay at in Marriott Village are the ones @CyndiLouWho mentioned above. I think two of them include free breakfast and one was renovated more recently but we stay at any of the three. If our DVC wait list for Saturday on Valentine's weekend doesn't come through we will be trying out a new (to us) Marriott property at 35K. It is the Orlando World Center Marriott on World Center Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter