I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get 2x on my spg card for buying points? I have the regular one.... thanks for letting me know...I have to decide on keeping this one or not....it's a tough one for me!

I figure I break even on the AF just by utilizing AMEX Offers, so I keep mine even if I don't put a lot of spend on it. It's the only way to earn Starpoints outside of staying at their properties (or buying them!), and with the transfer ability to Marriott (for as long as that lasts) it's even better than the Marriott card in earning Marriott Rewards points.

Do you need to have a card for a certain amount of time before it's eligible for chase pay? My csr says it's not eligible but I just got it last week so I thpught that might be it.

FM has a post on how to buy these through points.com. It worked fine for me back in July.

In the more recent post about the SPG sale, one commenter said that he did not get 2x SPG points for paying with his SPG Biz card...

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2017/11/03/buy-marriott-points-2/

very strange. I bought it with spg biz. will report back. when I bought it with my spg personal, it did give me 2x . all blogger post about it says it does. if I don't get it, I'm def gonna demand it.... ;)

Do you need to have a card for a certain amount of time before it's eligible for chase pay? My csr says it's not eligible but I just got it last week so I thpught that might be it.
Yes I think it's 10 days or two weeks.

A little off topic (sorry) but I know you guys will be supportive...2 really strange interactions in the last few days tied to this hobby.

1) We went to Disney in Jan, Boston in May (sister wedding), Captiva in July, VirgBeach in Aug, Universal in Nov this year. Obviously using points to cover pretty much everything... So one of my coworkers asked if we're going back to Disney in Jan. and I said yes and another coworker butts in and says "Psht must be nice to travel all the time....Some of us don't have that luxury." Now mind you, this coworker and I have the same job (certainly similar pay), and my wife doesn't work so we aren't exactly rich. What they do have is a Mercedes SUV vs my Honda Civic...all about choices people. I'm not going to judge what you spend your time or money on. BUT I've always said you can have ANYTHING you want, just not EVERYTHING you want, we just have different priorities, please don't judge me for that. ALSO that's not even pointing out the fact that we obviously work very hard on this hobby too in order to do travel for free, anybody could do it if they just tried.

2) Some of you may be aware that in addition to being obsessed with Disney and Credit Cards I also run in the "early retirement/FIRE" community too. I was at lunch with a friend the other day and they were complaining about work and how terrible it is at their job. So I said, yea sometimes it's frustrating, that's why I want to save up and have the ability to work less and travel more in my 40's and 50's, maybe even cut back to 3-4 days. They proceeded to tell me how that's so irresponsible and to stop working or cut back would be ridiculous. Apparently according to them, I should keep working and donate money to charities or something. That burns me up...I don't judge how anybody spends their money EVER but I wanted to say...maybe you should stop eating out so much, quit the $5 lattes and sell your expensive car and house and donate to charity. Or maybe you should get a second job since you waste so much money so that you can give that money to charity...Ahhhh :furious: I have intentionally chosen to live an inexpensive lifestyle in an effort to save about 50% of my income. I've "deprived" myself of so-called luxuries because of this being my goal and I'm fine with it. I guess I won't be talking money with this friend anymore...

Sorry, just a small rant but it made me feel better to type it out haha!

In the Ultimate Rewards tab, there is a separate category under Rewards Activity for the Shop through Chase. I am expecting quite a few between shopping at Macy's and Kohls, I think I have almost enough for a one-way flight.
Thanks! I found it and it says $2.80 earned, which fits with what I got and it was the first time I went through Chase.
A little off topic (sorry) but I know you guys will be supportive...2 really strange interactions in the last few days tied to this hobby.

1) We went to Disney in Jan, Boston in May (sister wedding), Captiva in July, VirgBeach in Aug, Universal in Nov this year. Obviously using points to cover pretty much everything... So one of my coworkers asked if we're going back to Disney in Jan. and I said yes and another coworker butts in and says "Psht must be nice to travel all the time....Some of us don't have that luxury." Now mind you, this coworker and I have the same job (certainly similar pay), and my wife doesn't work so we aren't exactly rich. What they do have is a Mercedes SUV vs my Honda Civic...all about choices people. I'm not going to judge what you spend your time or money on. BUT I've always said you can have ANYTHING you want, just not EVERYTHING you want, we just have different priorities, please don't judge me for that. ALSO that's not even pointing out the fact that we obviously work very hard on this hobby too in order to do travel for free, anybody could do it if they just tried.

2) Some of you may be aware that in addition to being obsessed with Disney and Credit Cards I also run in the "early retirement/FIRE" community too. I was at lunch with a friend the other day and they were complaining about work and how terrible it is at their job. So I said, yea sometimes it's frustrating, that's why I want to save up and have the ability to work less and travel more in my 40's and 50's, maybe even cut back to 3-4 days. They proceeded to tell me how that's so irresponsible and to stop working or cut back would be ridiculous. Apparently according to them, I should keep working and donate money to charities or something. That burns me up...I don't judge how anybody spends their money EVER but I wanted to say...maybe you should stop eating out so much, quit the $5 lattes and sell your expensive car and house and donate to charity. Or maybe you should get a second job since you waste so much money so that you can give that money to charity...Ahhhh :furious: I have intentionally chosen to live an inexpensive lifestyle in an effort to save about 50% of my income. I've "deprived" myself of so-called luxuries because of this being my goal and I'm fine with it. I guess I won't be talking money with this friend anymore...

I hang out on another forum about FIRE, and read these kind of stories everyday. Helps me feel sensible. As you say, everyone has different priorities! Don't judge someone for that! Unless they complain... then I feel a bit judgmental... I'm firmly in the camp of Do whatever you want, but they were your choices so don't act like someone made you do it, so when they say things like that then I want to say things like you want to say! :)

Also, what the heck with the charities thing? What is it here in the US, it seems like everyone expects everyone to work a million hours a week and work forever. I work for a company that was bought by a large company 15ish years ago. We remained the same brand and the large company who owns many brands is headquartered in Europe. We're getting restricted on hours starting in January - can only work 72 a week and only 12 days in a row. When we were being told that, a comment was made by management like, "Well [large company] is in Europe, and they have different ideas over there" Like not working 84 hours a week is so crazy :confused3 This was also said by someone who doesn't work 56-84 hours a week when the business is open on weekends.

I would also like to be at a point someday where I could work less and travel more, and am working hard with DH to set ourselves up for a good financial future. To me, CCs are just extending my budget, allowing me to do more than I could otherwise. For example, DH and I had picked a honeymoon budget planning on WDW, that was a week shorter than we ended up doing. Plus when I added up the cost of a DVC rental thinking maybe we could stay somewhere a little nicer than our typical Econolodge type place, a studio at BWV was basically the whole budget. We ended up spending basically all of our original budget... but spent it on nice restaurants, souvenirs, and experiences instead of deluxe hotels/airfare thanks to CCs! And while we saved cash for the wedding and honeymoon, we also put all of our extra income into paying off our student loans, which are now gone! :cheer2: Which is how I'm justifying that we're going to WDW to see the Christmas decorations next month... :scratchin

Are you on the MMM forums? I'm over there too, but don't post a whole lot :)

But yes, I feel your pain. I'm not precisely on the early retirement track (I'm fortunate to really and truly love my job!), but MMM has opened my eyes to frugality and consumerism. I'm definitely not at the level of many people, but I find myself making more conscious decisions about what I choose to buy and how I choose to live.

I take some crap from coworkers for going to Disney so much. I do make a bit more than some because I have more than 20 years in our profession, but it is not much more. One coworker is in tons of debt & admits to never paying a bill until she gets a "red" notice. The coworker who makes the same as I do is also likely in debt, due to her shopping tendencies and entitled feelings. She "deserves" a new car, new clothes every week, and any thing else she feels she needs. She is single and complains she is poverty level. Sorry, she is far from it and that is insulting to people in our company who actually raise a family on $10/hr when she makes at least 3x that. No we're not getting rich, but it is no where near poverty. Yet I'm the one criticized for my vacation choices when all my bills are paid and only debt is mortgage

Do gift cards count toward the spend on Chase cards?
Just need a few small ones but want to be sure to hit the required amount for the bonus.

Thanks all for making me feel a little better that I'm not crazy...or if I am at least I'm crazy in a good way!

I hang out on another forum about FIRE, and read these kind of stories everyday. Helps me feel sensible....To me, CCs are just extending my budget, allowing me to do more than I could otherwise....
Completely agree, The CCs pay for our travel and the bank bonuses increase our savings rate, that's my theory!

Are you on the MMM forums? I'm over there too, but don't post a whole lot :)...I'm not precisely on the early retirement track (I'm fortunate to really and truly love my job!), but MMM has opened my eyes to frugality and consumerism. I'm definitely not at the level of many people, but I find myself making more conscious decisions about what I choose to buy and how I choose to live.
MMM is how I got my start in FIRE which happened to coincide with when started churning. FIRE was interesting for me because I found out I was already doing it without realizing it, now I just had a goal in mind! I don't really post on any FIRE related forums though, just a lurker/reader. The answers to me are usually focused and clear and its hard to add value unless you're first to answer/comment IMO.

...The coworker who makes the same as I do is also likely in debt, due to her shopping tendencies and entitled feelings. She "deserves" a new car, new clothes every week, and any thing else she feels she needs. She is single and complains she is poverty level. Sorry, she is far from it...
I am so there with you!! Not to sound judgey...but I am kinda tired of families with household incomes in excess of $80k (in the Pittsburgh area) talking about how tough it is. They are so out of touch it's crazy, meanwhile we keep plugging away spending about $35k-$45k each year, lol.

EDIT: also want to just say that I have no problem with somebody who wants to have an expensive house, car, spend all their money etc. Just please don't complain how good I have it going on a handful of trips each year. For most families it just comes down to choices, some families just make their choices unintentionally and don't want to accept the consequences.

also want to just say that I have no problem with somebody who wants to have an expensive house, car, spend all their money etc. Just please don't complain how good I have it going on a handful of trips each year. For most families it just comes down to choices, some families just make their choices unintentionally and don't want to accept the consequences.
This is the perfect way to put this, and exactly what I was trying to say :)

In case anyone else was bummed cause they did not have the Google Express offer on any of your Amex cards, I ended up getting it on the classic site...as well as a few other offers I can use that do not show up on the new site...
https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/logon/us/action?request_type=LogonHandler&Face=en_US&DestPage=https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/acctmgmt/us/myaccountsummary.do?request_type=authreg_acctAccountSummary&Face=en_US&pageView=janus&omnlogin=us_homepage_myca

Is this eligible for gift card purchases?

I am so there with you!! Not to sound judgey...but I am kinda tired of families with household incomes in excess of $80k (in the Pittsburgh area) talking about how tough it is. They are so out of touch it's crazy, meanwhile we keep plugging away spending about $35k-$45k each year, lol.
This particular coworker I do judge, because she is always complaining and then saying I have it easy because I have a husband and he pays for stuff. My husband is in sales, his salary has decreased just about every year for over 5 years but I can't convince him to look elsewhere. We have had quite a run of bad luck in the past few years including a basement that flooded twice, me breaking my knee, car totaled, insurance changing to $4k deductible. I just broke my arm 3 weeks ago. Every time I turn around, it's another unexpected expenditure. I'm churning credit cards to vacation and spend time with my kid while trying to save for theses crazy unexpected costs. My coworker is out shopping, for herself, every weekend and eats out every meal that's not at work.

Are you on the MMM forums? I'm over there too, but don't post a whole lot :)

But yes, I feel your pain. I'm not precisely on the early retirement track (I'm fortunate to really and truly love my job!), but MMM has opened my eyes to frugality and consumerism. I'm definitely not at the level of many people, but I find myself making more conscious decisions about what I choose to buy and how I choose to live.

I'm there too, I mostly read

Would someone be so kind as to post a link or PM me with a link to where I can find these FIRE and MMM forums? Thank you kindly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter