If you drove from one end of your town/city to the other end how many miles would you travel?

according to the internet, the area of the municipality that I live in is about 35 square miles. There is no city or town, it's mostly rural with some suburban housing plans speckled here and there. I'm not good at math so whatever the diameter of 35 square miles is.

My town is 4 square miles, but we are right in the middle of a huge metroplex. So a small town in the middle of a big city.

I live in a community about 3 miles long and maybe a mile deep? It is an island. Whole island tip to tip is 33 miles and widest part is 4 miles.

Probably 60 miles or so at the widest point. It’s the largest city in area in the Lower 48.

Ooooh, ooooh, I know......and I didn't need to see your screen name for a clue.

according to the internet, the area of the municipality that I live in is about 35 square miles. There is no city or town, it's mostly rural with some suburban housing plans speckled here and there. I'm not good at math so whatever the diameter of 35 square miles is.

Diameter is about 6.68 miles if your municipality was a circle of 35 square miles.

I live in an unincorporated area and there are no defined boundaries of my so-called town. My whole state is only about 12 miles wide at its northern part.

North end of my town to the south end is 1 mile.

East end to west end is probably just a little under a mile.

It’s a very small town.

The "town" associated with my address (which you cannot even get to from my house without driving through a different town first) is about 1/2 mile across on the main highway through the city limits - if that.

Less than a mile all the way around. It's basically just a neighborhood. I can comfortably walk anywhere I want to go in town.

Just curious what it means to live in an unincorporated area?
To be incorporated means to be within the borders of a city.
Unincorporated means you are outside the borders of a city.
Really doesn't mean a lot, just means that instead of the city providing services (police, fire, city council) the county does (sheriff, fire, board of supervisors).
The population of Sacramento County is much larger than any of the cities in Sacramento County, and many of the cities pay the county to provide services to them (the jail, the dump).
I know we get new people here at work, often from the east coast, and the concept of an unincorporated area is foreign to them. And they can't understand why we have so many "communities" in the county that don't have their own police and fire and garbage service.

I'm not sure. I would say probably 50 or so from the far edge to the far edge. I drive 21 miles to get to work and my house and my work are neither right at the edge of the city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter