If you had to choose a moderate...

Ursula J

Mouseketeer
Planning a trip for next year. I've been saving and hoped to stay at Yacht or WL but honestly these PRICES are NUTS. I can't get my head around how much they've gone up in a short time (last visit June 21). So! If you'd had your heart set on deluxe life but had to go with a moderate, which one? Are there ways you can make a moderate feel more luxurious (room types, etc.)? We're not planning on having a car. I don't mind the skyliner but I don't love it either.

Our favorite mod is Coronado Springs . . .

I agree that the cost of actually staying at a Disney resort is getting out of hand, I mean, it's nuts!

We just stayed at POFQ for a weekend getaway and without any discounts, it was expensive!

We are staying at the Dolphin in October and the Swan in April, for the same price as a moderate. That might be something to check out. Being able to walk to Epcot and HS is a plus . . .

Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs is, in my opinion, the closest you will find to a deluxe at moderate prices. There are several dining options, interior corridors, beautiful grounds, and an impressive lobby. I stayed there my last two trips because I had a hard time justifying deluxe prices when I was traveling solo. There is only bus transportation to the parks, but I have, thus far, had good experiences there with the Disney transportation and the resort doesn’t seem to be too far from any of the parks.

Coronado Springs, it is beautiful. You could stay in the tower but frankly for what you spend on that, most of the time you could stay in Swan/Dolphin. You have to do the math because it doesn't always work out. Those are my two go tos. I haven't stayed in the tower yet.

Personally, I hate the moderates (I would much rather stay at Pop Century if we can't go Deluxe). It's the multiple bus stops that kill me. With that said, in terms of rooms, Gran Destino Tower is going to feel the most Deluxe. Coronado Springs overall will have the most Deluxe-like amenities because of the convention center. I prefer POFQ because it's only one bus stop, plus beignets.

Others have already said this, but Swan/Dolphin is really you're best bet. Cost is typically comparable (if not less-expensive) to a moderate, but rooms are nicer, you're walkable to 2 parks, and have all the typical Deluxe amenities.

I have stayed in POR and CSR. I loved them both but I would probably check Swan/Dolphin for the proximity with Epcot and HS and the deluxe resort perks (only extended evening but I read a lot of good things about those).

The Skyliner is the game changer and that's why we love CBR. The pool, Sebastians & Banana Cabana are all great, and you can walk to 2 Skyliner stations.

Coronado Springs is the most "deluxe" feeling of the moderates, IMO. I think aside from the skyline CBR is going to let you down. I don't love the theming of POFQ, but if you like Nola, then that's another decent one. I think the food offerings have gone downhill at POR, but it's my second favorite still of the mods.

Keep in mind CBR does not have elevators in the building, in case you’re schlepping a stroller around or have anyone in your group with mobility issues. PO Riverside only has an elevator in 1 building. Just something to keep in mind.

Check Swolphin prices. We generally find prices there as attractive as moderates, convenient to EPCOT and DHS, and you get EEH with deluxe status.

Among the moderates, POFQ is best for us. Amazingly quiet, single bus stop (though some buses do the POR loop). Quick bus run to EPCOT and MK. Cool boat ride to the Springs.

CSR is nice, but not a fan of Gran Destino--too "hotely" for us.

CSR Tower felt very much like a Deluxe to me. The rooms are new and well appointed and the tower decor is beautiful. We also liked the proximity to the food court and Three Bridges was very good. The buses didn't bother me there and we splurged on lyft/uber a few times. As PP's have noted, I would also price out Swan/Dolphin (we prefer Swan)

Planning a trip for next year. I've been saving and hoped to stay at Yacht or WL but honestly these PRICES are NUTS. I can't get my head around how much they've gone up in a short time (last visit June 21). So! If you'd had your heart set on deluxe life but had to go with a moderate, which one? Are there ways you can make a moderate feel more luxurious (room types, etc.)? We're not planning on having a car. I don't mind the skyliner but I don't love it either.
Rent DVC points, if you can find them. That gets you into a Deluxe Resort at a Moderate Resort price.

For example, Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) is the easiest to book. Let's say you can find points at $20/point. A week in a Standard View Studio next summer is 102 points, which works out to $291 per night.

Coronado Springs Resort (CSR) is the least expensive Moderate Rate. A week next July in CSR costs $2,116 with tax, or $302 per night.

Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) feels a lot like Wilderness Lodge. It's a bit tougher to book than SSR but a Standard View Studio is only 100 points for a week next summer. That gets you into a Deluxe Resort with a Wilderness Lodge feel but at a Moderate Resort price.

Last edited:
Rent DVC points, if you can find them. That gets you into a Deluxe Resort at a Moderate Resort price.

For example, Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) is the easiest to book. Let's say you can find points at $20/point. A week in a Standard View Studio next summer is 102 points, which works out to $291 per night.

Coronado Springs Resort (CSR) is the least expensive Moderate Rate. A week next July in CSR costs $2,116 with tax, or $302 per night.

Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) feels a lot like Wilderness Lodge. It's a bit tougher to book than SSR but a Standard View Studio is only 100 points for a week next summer. That gets you into a Deluxe Resort with a Wilderness Lodge feel but at a Moderate Resort price.
I've always been nervous to try this because of the cancellation policies! But maybe I'll put in a request at DVC Rental and see what I can get. Good idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter