If you have any questions regarding Sea World | Discovery Cove

SeaWorldOrlando

Earning My Ears
Hello,
If you have any questions regarding Sea World or Discovery Cove please do not hesitate to ask me at all.
I visit the park weekly, and have for the past 5 years.
If you have any questions regarding promos, the actual animals, park history, rumors, and more; then I can answer it all!
Grazi, Ciao

Visiting the park for the first time in many years in three weeks, I have two boys 14,9 and only have one day to see the park. What are the the must sees and where should we have lunch?

Any planning help would be appreciated

I would love to hear about the new areas of Sea world. Also have you done the dinner with Shamu? If so how was it?

THanks so much!

Originally posted by corky805
I would love to hear about the new areas of Sea world. Also have you done the dinner with Shamu? If so how was it?

THanks so much!

Hey Corky,
The new area of Sea World, "The Waterfront" opened on May 23rd and features a 5 acre Mediterranean Style Village, it features 3 specific areas, "High Street", "Harbor Square", and "Tower Island." I do have a slide show that I managed to pile up quickly that I can send you or anyone else who is interested via e-mail attachment.
This is only Phase 1 of the Waterfront, Phase 2 of the Waterfront begins construction soon and already is gated off. They eventually will put a Waterfront style theme all the way around the lake.

Dine With Shamu opened a year ago, and it is a covered, facility that runs pool-side along the back "Shamu: Close Up, (G)" Pool.
Unfortunately it took away 85% of the attraction away and only leaves underwater viewing left to guests. Though the Dinner Show is really interesting. It's a totally different atmosphere then the Shamu Adventure Show, and educates guests on those "Trainer-Only" Facts. The food was much better then an average buffet, and the show is much in-depth, informative, and interesting then the Shamu Show. You also see them much more closer, you're literally eating Dinner next to an Orca Whale, the only thing separating you, is a few rocks. An "Awesome!!" Photo Opportunity, though the show is "Best!" viewed at a pool-side table if you know what I mean.
I highly recommend you to reserve your table a day in advance to make sure you get a pool-side table, though if you are lucky you can reserve your spot once you enter the park, but most likely it won't be a pool-side table. Tables 1-25 are pool-side tables, and table 26 and up are all secondary pool-side tables (which means you have a row of tables sitting between you and the orcas.
They give you one complimentary glass of Wine If I remember right, and complimentary bottomless Ice Tea, Pink Lemonade, Milks, Hot Chocolate, Pepsi Product Sodas, and offer alcohol at an additional price I believe. I can get you a menu if you like.
-Jas

Originally posted by Barry Hom
Since you visit so often, how do you keep each visit fresh? Do you ever feel bored?

Hey Barry,
It's actually something I've wanted to do since I was or whatever, training marine mammals so it's good experience, and I love the animals, as corny as it sounds I've made relationships with the orcas that when I come to an underwater viewing window or such, they'll come right over to me right away. It's like a big pet elephant. But these guys are so incredibly smart, most people have no clue.
I'm no "Save-The-Whale" person, but I do like Orca Whales and other marine-mammals and do look forward to having a career with them soon.
Over the years I've made many friendships with the trainers, and other park frequenters; so it's always fun to hang out with another person who comes to the park often as well.
-Jas

Originally posted by DeeInMS
Visiting the park for the first time in many years in three weeks, I have two boys 14,9 and only have one day to see the park. What are the the must sees and where should we have lunch?

Any planning help would be appreciated

To make it really simple I'll make you a list.

"The Shamu Adventure Show"
"The Key West Dolphin Fest"
"Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" (Sea Lion Show)
"Pet's Ahoy!" (Pet Show, obviously)
"Odyssea" (New Aquatic-Cirque Du Soleil Style Show, Opening in July)
"Kraken Roller Coaster" *(If you or your boys like coasters)
"Journey to Atlantis" (*watercoasters)
"Wild Arctic" (Simulation Ride-or Non-Simulation Ride; Exhibits Polar Bears, Beluga Whales, and Arctic Walruses)
"Dolphin Cove" (Dolphin Feeder|Petting Pool"

and if you are staying till the night you should see:
"Shamu Rocks America" (Night Show)
"Fireworks at the Waterfront"

You might want to eat at the 'Smokey Creek Grill' which is a little bit lower in price and serves mostly BBQ Chicken, Ribs, Baby Back, Rolls, Corn, and such. $8-$12

Or the Sea Fire Inn, or Voyagers Wood Fired Pizza which are both located in the Waterfront Area. Prices are more in the $9-$14 range.

Sea Fire Inn is a Gourmet Burger, Coconut Shrimp, Salads, Sandwiches, Tropical Chicken, and Home-Baked Desserts.

Voyagers Wood Fired Pizza
Has a delicious Gourmet Wood Fired Pizza, Smoked Chicken, Pasta Dishes, Sandwiches, Grilled Salmon, Salads, and Home-Baked Desserts.

I can send you a map front and back via e-mail or snail mail. It gives descriptions of all the restaurants, shows, and attractions. Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

What's the bar like at the bottom of the sky tower?
Is it open yet?
Do they have Happy Hour?
I'm trying to get an idea of how relaxing it is, and what the view is like.
The next time I visit, I plan on having a couple drinks there, then going for a pizza.

How nice of you to offer your expertise! My family is visiting SW and DC in August (I just paid the balance today!) and I was wondering if you had any tips for getting an early swim with the dolphins. I know we should try to get there early, but how early? Any other tips? We were going back and forth about spending the big bucks for this, but decided to go for it. My kids are 13 and 15 and it's just a matter of time before they'll be too cool for mom and dad;)

Just wondering if they are still doing the Cirque De Le Mer show? It is one of our favorites. Also, do you have an idea when Odyssea will start their shows? We will be making our 7th trip in a month or so.
Thanks.

Originally posted by fb309
Just wondering if they are still doing the Cirque De Le Mer show? It is one of our favorites. Also, do you have an idea when Odyssea will start their shows? We will be making our 7th trip in a month or so.
Thanks.

Hello,
The Cirque de la Mer Show is no longer running shutting down after a 5 1/2 year long run. The show was run by Cesar Aedo and family, but unfortunately the show was taken away due to the fact it did not bring in enough guests over the last few months. Though it has to be one of Orlando's greatest Theme Park shows ever, and it's a pity it has been taken down. But no softy's when money is the issue, and it's always the issue here in Orlando.
The new show will start as soon as the Stage Remodeling Project is finishes, and it all depends when in July it opens according to that given fact. I do believe they still sell the Cirque de la Mer Soundtrack in titled " Flight of the Condor " still in the Ocean Treasures shop right across from the Nautilus Theater, I highly recommend in buying the CD, It has some great music!
-Jas

Originally posted by TimeforMe
How nice of you to offer your expertise! My family is visiting SW and DC in August (I just paid the balance today!) and I was wondering if you had any tips for getting an early swim with the dolphins. I know we should try to get there early, but how early? Any other tips? We were going back and forth about spending the big bucks for this, but decided to go for it. My kids are 13 and 15 and it's just a matter of time before they'll be too cool for mom and dad;)

Hey,
It's absolutely my pleasure.
The best tip I can recommend in getting an 'early swim' is to call in as soon as you can and notify them on your reservation and date and request the time of swim you want and most likely they will have that available. Your luck is high, because not too many people have a requested time in when they want to swim, so it should be easy for you to get your desirable time.
I believe if you really want it bad you can request what dolphin you want to swim with, but I'm not sure it really matters in your case.
I can assure you that you and your husband shall be the coolest parents on the block and your children will brag about you two to their friends after this vacation, :c).
I hope you have a great and safe trip!

-Jas

Originally posted by robvia
What's the bar like at the bottom of the sky tower?
Is it open yet?
Do they have Happy Hour?
I'm trying to get an idea of how relaxing it is, and what the view is like.
The next time I visit, I plan on having a couple drinks there, then going for a pizza.

Glad you asked,

The 'SandBar' is sort of a little out-door café with umbrellas and little tables that circle amongst the old fort that wraps around the base of the sky tower. I don't believe there is a Happy Hour, but I will check on that for you. I'll also get you a menu of the drinks and chic snacks they have. It's really relaxing up at the SandBar and the view and atmosphere is nice in my opinion. It's a 'sit, sip, slouch' atmosphere, very relaxing; and in the evening there is musical entertainment.

The actual sky tower it self should open this week, if not early next week. They are working on last-minutes exterior capsule touchups. Enjoy your visit.

-Jas

It's great that you answer all of these questions. We were there last in Nov of 2001. looks like a lot has changed. Is it stil possible to see the whole park in one day? I always found this to be anice relaxing change of pace from the crazy rush at disney. do they still give you a 2nd day free?? thanks

JAS

This is absolutely great that you are doing this.

My question is about Discovery Cove. Because of the price, I was only able to sign my wife and my 13 year old daughter up for the Trainer for the day (Wed, Aug 20). It costs about $400 per person for an 8 hour day. You know how many times a child changes their mind, but for the last 5 years, my daughter has been telling us that she wants to be a Vet when she grows up so we figured why not spend the big bucks and see if this is what she really likes.

Anyway, I think that you know my questions. Have you ever been to discovery cove?

Is it worth the $400?

Any inside information I should know about, like what to bring, what not to bring, where to go, and where not to go?

When should they get there and how should they get there?
We do have a rental car.

Anything else you can tell me?

Thank you very very much.

Eric Miller
Allentown, PA

Originally posted by SeaWorldOrlando
Hello,
If you have any questions regarding Sea World or Discovery Cove please do not hesitate to ask me at all.
I visit the park weekly, and have for the past 5 years.
If you have any questions regarding promos, the actual animals, park history, rumors, and more; then I can answer it all!
Grazi, Ciao

Do you know of a Web site location that might have a map of Sea World that's easier to read than the "artist's rendering" that is currently available on SW-O's Web site?

I'm looking at the drawing and I cannot get a feel for who's where and what's what. The last time we were at SW-O was in 1997 and it looks like much has changed.

Originally posted by Camping Griswalds
It's great that you answer all of these questions. We were there last in Nov of 2001. looks like a lot has changed. Is it stil possible to see the whole park in one day? I always found this to be anice relaxing change of pace from the crazy rush at disney. do they still give you a 2nd day free?? thanks

Hey Thanks,
In my opinion you could see the park in one day in a really rushed schedule if you were on an uncrowded day in winter.
But for the best possible trip and to relax some from that busy Vaca Schedule, then why not and use the other 50% of your ticket. Yes, I’m glad to tell you they still have the 2nd Day Free Deal, just remember to get it lol.

-Jas

Originally posted by millerglass
JAS

My question is about Discovery Cove. Because of the price, I was only able to sign my wife and my 13 year old daughter up for the Trainer for the day (Wed, Aug 20). It costs about $400 per person for an 8 hour day. You know how many times a child changes their mind, but for the last 5 years, my daughter has been telling us that she wants to be a Vet when she grows up so we figured why not spend the big bucks and see if this is what she really likes.

Anyway, I think that you know my questions. Have you ever been to discovery cove?

Is it worth the $400?

Any inside information I should know about, like what to bring, what not to bring, where to go, and where not to go?

We do have a rental car.

Eric Miller
Allentown, PA

Hey Eric,
It’s my pleasure.
Yes I’ve been to Discovery Cove in the opening month, but I do keep updated with everything going on there. I plan on going back there this month.
Well just bring a bathing suit and a bag.
They provide you towels great food and drinks, and of course you’ve already paid the big fee that takes care of it all.
You can request your wetsuit along with your bathing suit if you prefer to wear that instead and they do require you to wear a wetsuit vest even if you decide not to wear a wetsuit for safety reasons. The wetsuits they let you use in the winter are full wetsuits, and the ones that are provided for you in the summer are ‘Shorties’ (Short Sleeves and Short Leggings)
The food is pretty great and is unlimited from what I last checked but I’ll double check on that for you.
They also give you a complimentary photo as well, but you must pay for additional photos and I will get you the price list for that. They have a full service gift shop and they provide you with complimentary fins, goggles, and snorkels (you get to keep the snorkel). The showers contain bathrooms and lockers as well; of course that is where you get your towels and shampoo as well.
I can send you a brochure and map if you like, and let me know if you have any more questions. Be sure to check out the website at www.discoverycove.com if you have not already. When you reserved for your place you were probably told about this but just in case I want to let you know that your Discovery Cove ticket entitles you to a 7 Consecutive Day Pass to Sea World.
I strongly believe that the TFAD Program that your daughter will be taking part in will definitely show her what it is truly like to work with animals, and then she can see if she truly wants this job (which I do believe she will, working with animals is one of the most rewarding fields to work in.

-Jas

Originally posted by EmporerZurg
Do you know of a Web site location that might have a map of Sea World that's easier to read than the "artist's rendering" that is currently available on SW-O's Web site?

I'm looking at the drawing and I cannot get a feel for who's where and what's what. The last time we were at SW-O was in 1997 and it looks like much has changed.

Hello,
I have a map that I can either mail to you or e-mail to you.
Unfortunately Sea World does not have a very good nor a very up-to-date map available on it’s site.

-Jas

Originally posted by millerglass
JAS

Is it worth the $400?

We do have a rental car.

Eric Miller
Allentown, PA

Yes, it is worth it.. no, I'm not the OP, but I can tell you it is amazing.

Not only the swim, part, but the value that is added on. The parking is included, locker fees included, lunch included, snorkel, mask included, seven free days at Sea World included, complimentary photo included. You don't pay extra for the food to feed the beeds in the aviary either.

We went Aug 2001, and it was amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter