I'll have Coffee With My Monorail - The TR (Update: March 7, 2015)

PopArtGal

Mushu's Best Gal Pal
Hello everyone.

I'm back and finally ready to start my TR.

So here we go.

Let's first start with an introduction in case you didn't follow me from my PTR.

My name is Christy and I'm 31 years old.

Been a Disney fan since I was 2. Why is that? Well my parents wanted to visit Walt Disney World and I went along for the ride.

We are frequent July visitors. Because of my job (as a teacher) it is the most sensible choice.

Here is this trip's info:

Dates: July 14 to 24

Disney's Contemporary Resort - Bay Lake View (12th floor)

9 days tickets with park hoppers.

I went with my mom and dad. We always go to Walt Disney World together. But as the years go, let's just say they are coming for me hehe.

July 14 - The Judgemental Customs Officer

After a big 3 hours of sleep, I woke up at 1:45am. I had set my alarm clock for 2:30am, but when I woke up a half hour before, I decided against trying to fall back to sleep.

I slowly pulled back the covers, went to see if my cat (Timon) wanted to come back into the house (he did not) and went to take a bath.

After the bath and getting dressed was done, I was the first one ready. Ok, I always am. But there’s a reason for this: we have two bathrooms and there’s three people in the house. I always volunteer to go first
We were set up to leave the house around 4am, so since I was ready, I sat down on my bed and read a bit.

Also decided to take a selfie. Afterall I was excited hehe

Around 3:45am our ride arrived. As I we were putting the suitcases in the car, Timon peaked around. He slowly made his way into the house, making his mama really happy. I’d rather he be inside the house when we leave.

By the way, don’t worry about Timon too much. The neighbours across the street were set to come at least twice a day to take care of him. They have a cat too, so we do the same for them when they leave for a few days.

Around 5am, we were at the airport. Our check-in with the flight company went really fast. I had already printed the boarding passes at home, so all there was to do was get our bags labels printed and leave them at the drop-off.

Security was a breeze too, nothing to report there.

Then came the obligatory declaration to customs. We filled out our papers, then proceeded to the customs agent. A very unpleasant interaction.

Agent: Are you over 18?
Me: yes
Agent: You should be by yourself
Me: Oh ok
Agent: How are you related?
Me: I’m their daughter
Agent: Do you live with them?
Me: Yes
*Agent looks at me*
Agent: You do?
Me: yes
Agent: Where are you going?
Me: Florida
Agent: Where exactly?
Me: Disneyworld
Agent: Disneyworld?
Me: Yes

So she went on to ask exactly how old I was. Who was paying for the trip. Why were they bringing me to Disneyworld and not Hawaii. What do we all do for work. Why do we go to Disney every year? Blah blah blah.
As we left, she looked at me, gave me a look of disgust and rolled her eyes.

Humm what? I do not need to be judged by you lady. You don’t know my life. You don’t know why I moved back with my parents. What gives you the right to give me these looks and judge me.

And by the way, I did not imagine that. My parents noticed it too. Let’s just say this left a very bad taste in my mouth.

The flight was uneventful. We tried out a new division of Air Canada. I just hated that for the price we paid we didn’t have tv screens. You had to either bring an ipad/iphone and download their players or rent an ipad for 10$. I had my computer with me and watched a bit of frozen and some real housewives I had downloaded. I also read a bit. We had magazines and I had Chelsea Handler's new book "Uganda Be Kidding Me".

We landed 10 minutes earlier.

Our gate was on the other side of the airport. Not on the side where we normally land. It was a bit confusing at first, but I managed to get us to the DME buses pretty fast.

We got on a bus almost right away, and the bus was almost full. So it was a bit of pixie dust. Woohoo! We didn’t have to wait long before we were on our way. We first stopped at the Wilderness Lodge, then it was our time: Contemporary Resort. We were pretty happy to be the second stop since we normally are the last stop after Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

We were greeted right away by a cm with an ipad who called the Atrium club to tell them we were on our way.

When we got to the 12th floor, we were greeted by another CM. We love the Atrium club but feel like the check-in is a bit too long. But that may be just us. We were told we had some pixie dust in our pockets since our room was ready. We were lead to our room and thanks to our awesome friend and travel agent photomom, we had the room we wanted. We had requested a room at the end of the hall and not on the same side as Chef Mickey’s. We got room 4824, which is the last room at the end of the hall. We are close to Bay Lake, and at night we can see the movie from our room (from movies under the stars). Also, if we open our room door, and look through the tower windows we can see the castle and the fireworks. Not bad considering we are on the Bay Lake side.

This lovely was waiting for us in the room

This is the view from the balcony

And this is the view from the hall

Yikes, that customs officer!
Glad your journey was uneventful and you got the room you wanted! Great view!

Hi Christy, joining in.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you had that experience with the customs agent.

I've heard about this situation of having to rent iPad's. On my recent WestJet flight to Ontario we did have screens, but I read that some planes don't yet have them installed, so they go that route. They should just let everyone use them for free. I bet the CM that greeted you at the Contemporary didn't have to rent his iPad.

The Contemporary is a dream resort for me dating back to my childhood. I'm actually considering 1 or 2 nights on my offsite September trip (not likely, but I'm thinking about it).

Yikes, that customs officer!
Glad your journey was uneventful and you got the room you wanted! Great view!

I love looking at Bay Lake. Even though the MK side has a view of the castle, we didn't really like seeing the parking lot as much hehe

Plus on that side, we can actually use the balconies in the afternoon.

Hi Christy, joining in.

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you had that experience with the customs agent.

I've heard about this situation of having to rent iPad's. On my recent WestJet flight to Ontario we did have screens, but I read that some planes don't yet have them installed, so they go that route. They should just let everyone use them for free. I bet the CM that greeted you at the Contemporary didn't have to rent his iPad.

The Contemporary is a dream resort for me dating back to my childhood. I'm actually considering 1 or 2 nights on my offsite September trip (not likely, but I'm thinking about it).

Hey there! Welcome!

Yes, I think it's stupid that we have to rent ipads. They are supporting apple since the player cannot be downloaded on other devices and you'd think that with technology and everything, you'd be able to have it included in the price.

I would definetely go at least 2 nights at the CR. If the tower isn't in your budget you can always look at the garden building.

I'm here!!! Sorry it took so long for me to subscribe!

I totally would've said some choice words to that Customs Officer. I understand why you couldn't say anything, but upon arriving back home, I would've written a letter and mailed it to her boss. I am a firm believer that situations like that should be reported. It is NOT right to treat someone like that. She should've asked the general questions and moved on...the rest of that was none of her business and did not relate to your trip or being allowed to cross thru customs. So sad for you that it happened!

The room views are awesome!!!!!!! :) I'm so happy that I was able to help you get the room you wanted!! It was absolutely no problem! If you ever need anything, you know you can ask :) That's what friends are for!

I just love that balcony picture you posted!! I would've sat out there with a coffee every morning! Lovely!!!

I agree with the MK views having too much of a parking lot view. I noticed that in some other TR's and in my parents pictures from a few years ago when they stayed at the CR. I know a lot of people prefer it so I'm glad there are options at Disney for all of us :)

Cannot wait to read more!!

Joining in. WOW she loved her job, I would have asked her if this was protocol. Because it doesn't sound it.

I’m in!!

How I didn’t notice you’re also from Canada til now surprises me!! Ugh, customs….I never have problems going into the states but OH MAN clearing back into Calgary is a TOTAL WITCH! One time we crossed over in Vancouver & explained we were at auditions and they just let us through, but practically every time I cross into Calgary they pull me aside to search my stuff & question me…

That’s an awesome view!! The room looks lovely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter