In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa, I hope things get figured out quickly.

Have you gotten your 12ks box yet? I have not received mine and UPS still has it listed as ”shipment ready for UPS”. I figured our boxes will be near each other since we are in the same area, but I’m going to be really bummed if I don’t get it before we leave for Christmas next week

You are going through so much right now. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I hope that he gets the help that he needs to get better - and soon! ❤️

The cookies look amazing (and delicious!). The squirrel is super funny. And congrats on your 12Ks of Christmas!

I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa, I hope things get figured out quickly.

Have you gotten your 12ks box yet? I have not received mine and UPS still has it listed as ”shipment ready for UPS”. I figured our boxes will be near each other since we are in the same area, but I’m going to be really bummed if I don’t get it before we leave for Christmas next week
I checked my UPS and it just got to them today, and they estimate I’ll have it on Wednesday.

I checked my UPS and it just got to them today, and they estimate I’ll have it on Wednesday.
Dang, mine are not at UPS yet. Well I’m glad you’re at least getting yours shortly, hopefully it will bring a bright spot to a tough couple of days/weeks for you.

I'm late catching up, but hope your Grandpa's doctor's are able to figure out what's wrong soon, if they haven't already got him all sorted out.

10 Days Until: Disneyland Half Weekend

So…it’s been a while huh?

My grandpa ended up staying in the hospital until Saturday of the week I thought he’d be out on Wednesday of in my last post. My aunt ended up coming to stay at our house several days earlier than expected (with her annoying dog) and didn’t leave until Christmas Day. My 2 cousins and their families came for Christmas on 12/16, one stayed overnight, one drove home and came back again the next day. Then my mother arrived on 12/22 and stayed until the 30th. My life has been incredibly stressful and insane. Also, I got food poisoning from something I ate on 12/23, so I spent all of Christmas Eve absolutely miserable and had to miss the celebration at my great-aunt’s house.

Rundown of the runs I managed to finish:
12/13: 5.05 miles in 1:07:58
12/14: 5.00 miles in 1:08:00
12/19: 6.50 miles in 1:29:32
12/22: 10.05 miles in 2:14:27
12/28: 2.40 miles in 29:16

2023 Recap
610.78 miles run in 136 hours 41 minutes 31 seconds. Slightly more than 50 miles less than 2022, so that was disappointing. I’m not even going to tally up the miles on the stationary bike because I know they’re WAY down from 2022.

What’s coming next…
I’m going to do my best to survive Disneyland. I should be fine, based on the fact that I haven’t really had any trouble with my 10 milers. And a half is only 5K more than that, and we do 5Ks in our sleep, right?

* I’ve got the Goldy’s Run 10 miler on April 7 (I had an 8 mile run on the schedule anyway, so what’s a couple extra miles?) It starts outside the U of M Gopher’s hockey arena and ends in the Gopher football stadium on 50 yard line (or maybe in the end zone, I don’t remember which)

* Springtime Surprise Challenge—yay for C2C medal, even if they are a bit underwhelming

* The Race for the Kids 10 miler on August 17 (again, I had a 7 or 8 mile run scheduled anyway)—this one starts and ends in Gold Medal Park in Minneapolis. I like this spot because there’s a nice parking ramp just a block away

* Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10 Miler—I got early registration at 2023 pricing because of this year’s cancellation, so I jumped on it. They have the option to upgrade to Loony when registration opens this spring, but I’m not doing it. Cathedral Hill is evil, and Loony means running up it twice in the same morning, whereas the 10 miler only goes down it. Plus, that weekend only calls for a 5 miler on Saturday and I’m not trying to mess with the training load too badly

* Wine & Dine 2024–how can I resist the lure of spending Halloween in Disney World?? I’m totally hitting up the Halloween night party in MK and rolling right into the 5K—sleep is for the weak 🤣🤣

* Dopey 2025–this scares me a little, especially considering how well (or, you know, NOT) training went in December this year, but I’m going to do it anyway. I took Hal Higdon’s novice marathon plan and rejiggered all the runs so I get the same mileage that the plan calls for each week, but distributed throughout the week so my long runs don’t exceed 3 hours. I also moved the Wednesday runs to Saturday so I get used to back-to-back long runs (and because I frequently have stuff to do after work on Wednesdays)

Some holiday memories:
I got new Goodrs from my grandma
D9C8FCDE-08E9-4833-B61A-530BB03063E3.jpg

My cats got a tunnel from Santa and love to play hide-and-pounce
BAC604E8-375D-4E50-8957-CD2293EE63BD.jpg

My grandparents
2A99F17F-447B-4C3F-A120-F5271928456E.jpg

My aunt and my grandpa
AAC14461-FBC8-4316-AF1A-2CB77482554D.jpg

My mother and my grandpa
3B2B15AE-0443-44B2-B28A-12EB84B6ED64.jpg

My younger cousin’s 2 youngest kids
612BBA86-BB93-4AFE-9AEB-9F17D415F6E6.jpg

Lucy decided to observe some of the guests from a safe place on top of the mantle
36BAD817-9949-4333-AE48-A1939B588B60.jpg

I saw a white squirrel on one of my runs (this is 1 of 2 that live in my area, but they’re not related, unless squirrels travel almost a mile as the crow flies to mate)
3A979800-D26A-4B8E-B085-0858EDBD60FA.jpg

I had to pick up my mother at the airport at the crack of dawn and saw this owl as I was leaving my neighborhood. 99% sure this is a barred owl, since I know we have several in the area and it doesn’t look like any of the other larger species of owl in our region
DB1E2A4E-BE9D-4C11-848B-420795C54007.jpg

My grandpa ended up staying in the hospital until Saturday of the week I thought he’d be out on Wednesday of in my last post. My aunt ended up coming to stay at our house several days earlier than expected (with her annoying dog) and didn’t leave until Christmas Day. My 2 cousins and their families came for Christmas on 12/16, one stayed overnight, one drove home and came back again the next day. Then my mother arrived on 12/22 and stayed until the 30th. My life has been incredibly stressful and insane. Also, I got food poisoning from something I ate on 12/23, so I spent all of Christmas Eve absolutely miserable and had to miss the celebration at my great-aunt’s house.
I really hope your grandpa is doing better now. And +1 for @avondale - you've got way more patience that I do!
2023 Recap
610.78 miles run in 136 hours 41 minutes 31 seconds. Slightly more than 50 miles less than 2022, so that was disappointing. I’m not even going to tally up the miles on the stationary bike because I know they’re WAY down from 2022.
What's 50 miles among friends. That's like 1 mile a week. 610 miles is an awesome achievement for the year! Plus, that was last year now. Let's look to the future :dogdance:

I'm also really glad that I'm not the only one who has like the whole year of races scheduled already. I've been working on mine since Saturday 🤣

I really hope your grandpa is doing better now.
He is and he isn’t. He’s well enough to be home, but they haven’t fixed the bleed yet. It’s in a spot that can only be reached with a particular procedure which is A) only done on an outpatient basis (but is still at the same hospital he was in) and B) only done by one particular doctor and C) super in-demand, so the soonest he could get in is January 29. So he’s getting blood drawn twice a week to make sure he doesn’t need another transfusion. It’s honestly all a bit stupid.

You are a saint for managing so many guests staying at your place, even if they are family. No wonder you were stressed out!
Yeah, I was really happy when we finally got rid of the last guest. Especially since my aunt is a smoker and my mother is a vaper. My aunt goes outside to smoke, but it clings to her of course. My mother agreed to not vape in the same room as my grandpa, but I wasn’t worthy of the same consideration 🙄🙄 so between the two of them, I got a lot of sinus irritation for two and a half weeks

Disneyland Half Weekend—Part 1

January 9, 2024

My grandma and I got all our stuff packed up on Tuesday night, after I got back from picking my uncle up from the airport so he could stay with my grandpa while we were gone. I decided to only bring 2 pair of running shoes (and 2 pair of park shoes, which are retired running shoes and can be used for a race if needed) so my bags were much easier to pack, and didn’t get as heavy as usual.
A6C2A086-4F7B-4391-8D42-11AC245DBF56.jpg

January 10, 2024

We managed to get up and out of the house on time and made it through security with no problem, and then it took forever to leave, I think we ended up being an hour late out of MSP. Luckily, the plane that we were supposed to take from STL got delayed and they ended up needing our MSP plane to fly us to LGB, so there was no way we could miss our connection 😄

We made it to Long Beach, got our bags, and got a cab. One frighteningly fast cab ride later, and we arrived at Castle Inn and Suites. Our rooms were ready, and we were quite happy with them. Slightly less so when it was time to sleep, because the outside wall was not very soundproof (but the walls between the rooms were VERY soundproof—my grandma keeps the tv loud and I couldn’t hear it all) and I could hear all the traffic noise from Harbor and Katella.

After we got settled in, we headed over to Disneyland Park. Like an idiot, I thought 60-something degrees would feel warmer, and I had been melting in the airport and hotel room in my spirit jersey, so I chose to wear a t-shirt. This resulted in getting a new sweatshirt before we left the park 😂😂

We got a picture at the DL entrance, but it never showed up in my photopass account, and I’m too lazy to contact them to find it; we just got a new picture there on a different day. Once we tapped in, I booked our first LL (Buzz) and we grabbed hot dogs for dinner. After Buzz, we did Star Tours, and then wandered back towards Galaxy’s Edge because I grabbed a LL for Smuggler’s Run. We got to be pilots, and my grandma was really bad at it 😄😄

Like @DopeyBadger , I found it weird to navigate at DL, because it’s similar, but also different from Magic Kingdom. We got our next LL for Haunted Mansion, which was fun, but irritating because it kept stopping, and we also got stopped in boring spots, like facing the wall right before the dining room. Eventually, we stopped for a long time just before the hitchhiking ghosts, and then the lights came on and we had to wait forever to be evacuated the extra 20 steps from the exit. We used our free LL for Runaway Railway…which broke down just before we were going to board 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ We were pretty well done in for the day, and I still hadn’t found a sweatshirt, so I was shivering. We used our new free LL on Buzz because we were going past it and I hate to waste a free LL (or a chance to play Buzz). We stopped over at Walgreens before we went back to our rooms to get some snacks and sodas for breakfast.

January 11, 2024

I was registered for yoga, and had several layers and my thermal leggings to try to stay warm, but I got almost no sleep Wednesday night because I woke up every hour because I was uncomfortable. I should know bette than to try to sleep normally (on my side) in hotel beds—they’re never soft enough. Needless to say, when my alarm went off for yoga, I chose to try for more sleep instead. I hate wasting the money, but with the race mornings coming up, I was going to need whatever sleep I could get. When I found out later that it rained a bit during yoga, I was even happier that I had skipped out.

Once we were awake and ready to go, we headed over to tap into DCA so I could start making LLs while we did the whole expo thing.

Look at us, all awake and stuff 😁
D7D26BC9-2579-4BDD-8778-13B18A0AD482.jpg

I dropped my grandma at the coffee shop at the hotel while I went looking for the CrD platinum entrance. Several confused employees later, I found the right spot and got in line. I eventually got into the merch area, got all the things I was looking for, which was harder than it should’ve been since they didn’t have the medal pins for the Half placed yet(?) and the medal pins for the C2C were in a bin that I had to stand on tiptoe to see into. Signage would’ve been helpful, rD! Then I had to try to find the platinum bin/shirt pickup spot, and the CM I chose to ask was slightly clueless. I kept changing my search term until we hit on one that rang a bell for her, and then I had to kind of lean in and read her map upside down and I finally got pointed in the right direction. I got my stuff, and some free treats, and met up with my grandma to hang out until the non-rD expo opened.

I feel like they could’ve opened that a tiny bit early like they do at WDW, just to ease the congestion. The poor CM blocking the door was about to get trampled. Finally, at 10 on the dot, they let us in. I got some new Goodrs (the addiction is real—is this what I’ve been missing all these years of not being able to buy normal sunglasses??), some new Pandora charms, including the Stitch-on-the-Tower-of-Terror charm my grandparents wanted to get me for Christmas, but couldn’t because it’s a park-exclusive.

We headed back to DCA, shoved all my loot into a big locker (my grandma is a genius for thinking of this, I was going to go all the way back to the hotel), and got on with our park day. Our first LL was for Mission: Breakout—my grandma’s first time on any kind of sudden drop ride 😬😬

You can ignore the way she’s crushing my hand and the look of terror on her face, she loved it
2069648A-9634-4A2C-BCB1-19E98F459663.jpg

We wandered through the shops in Avengers Campus, and headed to Cars Land for lunch at Flo’s. We saw Lightning McQueen on our way back to AC for our Web Slingers LL.
750304D0-3641-4075-B215-AA487585D9D8.jpg

We also ran into Ms Marvel and got our pictures with her.
89BF8DE2-133C-4D99-8B4B-8BD99D4D5499.jpg

I kicked my grandma’s butt at WebSlingers, which is only fair, since I’ve done it before (she was Blue, I was Red) but we both got beat by Purple
88A376F6-E1B0-4CBE-8F33-F736C66B745E.jpg

After WebSlingers, we headed over for a LL on Incredicoaster. My grandma wasn’t the biggest fan of this one, but she enjoyed meeting Mr Incredible and Elastigirl.
C96C4262-DAF9-4952-9A98-368A1255EE9C.jpg

On our way to Pixar Pier, we hit the PhotoPass stop and got this nice shot
IMG_6707.jpeg

We wandered along Pixar Pier, while I tried (and failed) to find another Lightning Lane for us. We grabbed some pictures with the statues outside Emotional Whirlwind.
DDEC3A7F-3C46-4DA2-9FDB-C75DB71878DD.jpg

And ran into Pluto near Soarin’
20E8630C-3647-4D79-8DB7-D51C866E1D1E.jpg

We hopped over to Disneyland Park to get ice cream at Gibson Girl, and I was extremely disappointed! They failed to clean their ice cream scoop before they did my cone, so there was a ton of strawberry ice cream all mixed into my cookie dough ice cream. Good thing I just think strawberry is disgusting, not that I’m allergic to it. Even though this was only 4pm or so, we decided to call it a day because the multiple early mornings were catching up with us, and I needed to get up super early for the 5K.

Last edited:
Getting evacuated from Haunted Mansion is on my bucket list, but getting evacuated so close to the exit would be so disappointing.

And the merch area at the expo seemed so random! Pins in different places, and not very well labeled. It was such a small space but I had to wander a lot to find what I wanted.

Your grandma looks like she's having so much fun! Impressed with her going on Guardians and Incredicoaster.

We also ran into Ms Marvel and got our pictures with her.
This is fantastic! What a unique character to have a picture with. Was she fun to talk with?
On our way to Pixar Pier, we hit the PhotoPass stop and got this nice shot
This is a classic shot! Like, you should frame it and put it on the wall forever.
Getting evacuated from Haunted Mansion is on my bucket list
@superchime This has got to be one of the most Disney-ish bucket list items I've ever heard of! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter