• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Search of My Body - Not the One I Ate, VOL 7! Princesses? Nope, just us Goddesses!

6.5 miles, done. It wasn't great, but it's in the books.

And OMG, LIZ!!!

So, I was 5 miles in and I was DONE. I had just resigned myself that I would walk the last 1.5 miles home when what came on my iPod??? Tubthumping! I flew that last mile. It was my fastest mile of the run!

If I didn't know it before, I do now...it is totally the perfect theme song for me! Totally. And thank GOD I was on a somewhat deserted stretch of road because not only did it inspire me to run, but I was doing these Rocky-style boxing punches while running. Highly embarrassing, I'm sure! :lmao::rotfl2:

Later on I will post more pics. Selfishly, I simply enjoy posting pics of NYC. And secondly, it's a lovely reminder that the city can touch hearts instantly. There is no place like it. Beyond vibrant.

I was thinking about one of our tour guides today. Obviously many talked about 9/11 and showed us where the devastation travelled to - which areas were shut off for months - about the church that was untouched around the devastation.

But it was one guide that truly touched my heart. He happened to be a network news producer who worked as a guide on the weekends. His words were tough to hear. Honestly, I felt like doubling over in the bus. He vividly explained what his brother had gone through. He was there that day. Worked there. Lost most of his coworkers because they instantly ran out - not knowing what was awaiting them - and were killed by fuel. He told us what he saw - which I won't repeat here because honestly it's beyond words.

But what struck me was the mental health aspect. That was his point. He spoke passionately that there was a whole group of people that have not been looked after. The ones who were there and survived. The PTSD that lives.

You see his brother was *fine*. He lived. And he was *fine* not for hours or days. But for over a year. And then one day - a day - a day no different from the others - he went into work - sat at his desk and suddenly broke. Mentally broke. Some trigger? Who knows. But his brain just went.

And it made me think about the horror of that day and the aftermath for so many. I cried when he spoke.

But it also made me think - and get angry - about how we all can't seem to deal with the brain as just another body part that might get sick like any other body part. Genetically or because of some trauma. Can get sick and can get well. Mental health isn't heart disease or diabetes or cancer to the world. For so many it is just weakness or even worse it "shhhhhh". And that limits our ability to help.

I hope to be fortunate to visit such a beautiful city again and again and again. I've never thought about winning the lottery - it's just not my thing - Jean obsesses enough for both of us :sad2:. But I'll tell you that scrumptious city makes me dream. :lovestruc It just has that power, doesn't it? :love:

:lovestruc to you Liz.

And thank GOD I was on a somewhat deserted stretch of road because not only did it inspire me to run, but I was doing these Rocky-style boxing punches while running. Highly embarrassing, I'm sure! :lmao::rotfl2:

Love it!!!!:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

One day you all might see my interval routine in a gym and you'll be mortified at some of the things I do in a public space. :laughing:

And guess what? I simply won't give a sh!t. :rotfl2:

I signed back up for the BL. Sighing. Don't know what to think. I love success - and it will help with my success for sure but I haven't made peace with the bloody scale.

Paula and Liz try to teach me but obviously I'm a crappy student. :lmao:

So Fridays you will get a weigh in. :cool2:

I signed back up for the BL. Sighing. Don't know what to think. I love success - and it will help with my success for sure but I haven't made peace with the bloody scale.

Lisa - You are not a crappy student. We all learn at our own pace. Look at how long it has taken me to start to grasp the concept that food will not solve my problems. I am still working on that one. One step at a time right?

Um, Lisa? A crappy student? You?

Let's see...

--You have lost 80-some-odd pounds
--Learned to do kick-a$$ workouts in the gym
--Have made HUGE leaps in self-esteem
--Continue to amaze me as you learn (and love) who you are!

Word.

Walked 20 minutes with Ace. Tracking is good.

Waiting for call from Docs still and did not want to miss it on a treadmill. It is about 80 degrees out and soupy humid!

Will walk again tonight with Dan and Ace. If I split the 40 minute walks into 2 segments is it just as effective as walking a one stretch 40 minute? I know my endurance sucks right now and do not want to sabatoge my commitment so thinking segments that are more manigable for now is what I need to do and work up to longer walks.

Plus it gets this nutzo dog 2 walks to burn off his energy! He holds the leash in his mouth while he walks next to me and he is totally fine. Heals, no tugging etc. If I let him walk and do not give him enough leash to clamp a section in his yapper, he then acts like a complete rotten dog. Pulls, tries to run ahead etc. So down the street we go, side by side, equal control.

The garbage guys actually stopped and laughed at us. They asked who was walking who?

I said we were involved in a healthy relationship after 7 months of therapy. I had to let him think he had equal power like any male! :lmao:

Look at how long it has taken me to start to grasp the concept that food will not solve my problems.

Helllllllo! Where was I when that memo went out? Oh yeah, probably couldn't see it with all the carb crumbs flying in my face! :lmao:

Seriously though - great post Paula and you are a Rock Star! :worship:

Lisa - You are not a crappy student. We all learn at our own pace. Look at how long it has taken me to start to grasp the concept that food will not solve my problems. I am still working on that one. One step at a time right?

Um, Lisa? A crappy student? You?

Let's see...

--You have lost 80-some-odd pounds
--Learned to do kick-a$$ workouts in the gym
--Have made HUGE leaps in self-esteem
--Continue to amaze me as you learn (and love) who you are!

Word.

Okay. Word. Heard. Learned.

First - I wasn't talking in general. I was talking about how I can not see a scale number without freaking. So I would like to be Paula or Liz on that one.

Second - I own my success. But it's not 80 plus anymore. It 's now 60. Gained back some.

Third - Erika you would scare the living daylights out of me if I was your student. :lmao::lovestruc

Thanks for your lovely words - both of you. Really.

I just yearn not to see the scale as a reflection of who I am. Cause that is warped.

I know, eh? Paula. Paula. Paula. No pressure.:lmao:;) Inspiration.

You can do this Lisa. I know you can. Screw the scale and do it for you and how you feel when you are on. Besides, don't make me get my angry eyes out and have to come up there and make you do inchworms. I know, I'll kidnap Jesse and make him kick your butt. :rotfl2:

Seriously, I am convinced one of you is paying him to torture me right now. These two workouts a day thing are just plain killing me. I slept right through my alarm yesterday. So loving the fact that today is my rest day! Loving It! :goodvibes

I can't believe no one asked about his yet!!!!

Kelly, what, pray tell, is your "fascinator?" I think there must be a translation issue, cause I've never gotten MY Fascinator trapped in the bathroom door. Have you Nancy?

:scared1: Oh My! My Fascinator is a headdress/hair thingy! :lmao: I got it trapped in the bathroom door when I was coming out, lucky I was wearing it or it would have been my head! :rotfl:

You rock. End of.

So, here are a couple of pictures from Ladies Day (actually, they are both from before we set off!

Me and my fabulous niece Lyla:

Races2009001.jpg

Me and the girls in our finest!:

Races2009004.jpg

6.5 miles, done. It wasn't great, but it's in the books.

And OMG, LIZ!!!

So, I was 5 miles in and I was DONE. I had just resigned myself that I would walk the last 1.5 miles home when what came on my iPod??? Tubthumping! I flew that last mile. It was my fastest mile of the run!

If I didn't know it before, I do now...it is totally the perfect theme song for me! Totally. And thank GOD I was on a somewhat deserted stretch of road because not only did it inspire me to run, but I was doing these Rocky-style boxing punches while running. Highly embarrassing, I'm sure! :lmao::rotfl2:

:rotfl: Wonder if we can see you run on google earth or some such device. Kat?

I said we were involved in a healthy relationship after 7 months of therapy. I had to let him think he had equal power like any male! :lmao:

:rotfl:

Oh God Erika - just saw your EDIT reason. Love it!:lmao::rotfl::lmao:

Don't encourage her!

Lisa=You rock. End of.

Word!!!

Me and the girls in our finest!:

Races2009004.jpg

Ohhlala - fancy ladies!!!!

Liz ~ yes, our schools do talk about it. They have a Patriot Week that leads up to it.

September 11th. They had a moment of silence at work this morning. In 2001 I had just started grad school and somewhere getting the oil changed in my car, and some guy came into the waiting area and was talking about a plane hitting the world trade center. I figured it was some small plane, and could not believe it when they turned the news on in waiting area.

LisaV--forgot to say this before, LOVED all your NYC pics! and the pics of you with LIZ!!

Kelly--You look fantastic!!

Erika--Awesome job on the LR! I am so scared for my long runs these days. :eek: I've got one this weekend.

Ronda--Like E said, I am in for the Mickey! :eek:

Kat--Have fun!! We are booked for the Dolphin next saturday night, so hopefully we can meet up for a drink or two or three.

All is going well here. The job itself is good. I am not adjusting incredibly well to third shift, but it is just for another couple weeks for training. I am actually working 130a-10am which is weird! although starting next wednesday I will be working a more traditional third shift, 10p-630am. I am keeping up with my running schedule and eating has been good. I actually lost about 6 pounds this week. But most of that was water weight of course. At least I am about back to where I started earlier this summer though.

I have 2 weddings next summer, one of which I am matron of honor in, so that will definitely be a long term goal for keeping myself on track. MUST look good in pictures!!

9/11 - I'm not sobbing, which is vast improvement of previous years.

I understand that all too well. You've all heard my families story - so f*ing horrible. But Liz - something finally occurred to me today. You were saying how Em wouldn't ever have the memory, and it made me think of my own kids. The one I always associate 9/11 with is Becca - she had broken her wrist over the Labor Day weekend, and had to go to the Dr. to get her permanant cast on Tues 9/11.....BUT...the biggest impact had to have been on Seth. You see, he was in 5th grade....and that is the year that he wrote the story about my brother (Lt. Commander, US Navy) being his hero...and it's been since then that we knew he was heading for a military career. And 8 years later....They are having a special "echo taps" ceremony at 11:00 tonight in rememberance....

I have to tell you, it's good to be back here. After taking the summer off and floundering, I'm feeling strong.

WOOT! :woohoo:

I can't believe no one asked about his yet!!!!

Kelly, what, pray tell, is your "fascinator?" I think there must be a translation issue, cause I've never gotten MY Fascinator trapped in the bathroom door. Have you Nancy?

:rotfl2: I was wondering...just hadn't gotten there yet!

NO dating till 16! That's the rules.

DITTO! Not even an option before that.

One day you all might see my interval routine in a gym and you'll be mortified at some of the things I do in a public space. :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

All is going well here. The job itself is good. I am not adjusting incredibly well to third shift, but it is just for another couple weeks for training.

I give you a lot of credit. Me and 3rd shift are not something that would get along very well :rolleyes1 Congrats on both your loss and your ability to keep up with your running. You are truly a goddess in my book! :cheer2:

Steph - So good to have you back! Miss you!

Dawn - FUNNY about the dog walking. Congrats on the loss....keep up the good work :thumbsup2

Kelly - nice pictures! Glad you had fun

Hope everyone has a great, healthy, active weekend!

OH! I got so wrapped up in the memories of 9/11 that I completely forgot!

Did you see? Princess-In-Training gear. Now available from Disney! princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter