In Training: Marathon Weekend 2015 (Dopey Challenge)! **COMPLETE**

Love that Minnie outfit! She's one of my favorite- partially because it's easy to put together a really nice running costume for her! Definitely lol'd at your comment about dying in black but looking good doing it.

My 10k outfit almost matches your marathon one! I am going for the headband ears, but NO WAY could I stand them for the marathon! Sweaty band looks like a much better idea - but I've never yet found a headband that stays put :furious:

Wow. I didn't realize these race reports were out here!

Ariel484, it's pretty amazing how you've kept this thread up! Your enthusiasm about the races and Disney is contagious! :)

Kudos and props for all of your running accomplishments!!! :thumbsup2

No, he says sheepishly. Turns out to be a good thing. My wife went and said it was an awful class with a very poor instructor and she's glad she hadn't dragged me to it. Sometimes being lazy is the right call. :lmao:

This has happened to me before with yoga teacher substitutes! You know it's bad when your regular yoga teacher apologizes (or gives warning...) to the class when the other teacher was or is going to be the sub. :rolleyes:

An awesome grand finale of an outfit for the marathon. I love that you are doing a Minnie tribute. With your avatar, I always think of you and Minnie as a pair. ;) ::MinnieMo

I'm hoping that weather forecast cools off a bit. That first marathon year I was planning to wear a black tank and then changed out to a lightweight white one at the last minute with the forecast.

No, he says sheepishly. Turns out to be a good thing. My wife went and said it was an awful class with a very poor instructor and she's glad she hadn't dragged me to it. Sometimes being lazy is the right call.
Ugh! Well that's not good. Laziness saves the day! :thumbsup2
You might be a bit uncomfortable if it's warm and humid. But on the plus side, you'll look sharp for your pre-race pictures!
My favorite part of this is how you clarified that the pre-race pictures will be good - not the ones during the race!! :rotfl2: Too true!
Love that Minnie outfit! She's one of my favorite- partially because it's easy to put together a really nice running costume for her! Definitely lol'd at your comment about dying in black but looking good doing it.
Totally agree! :thumbsup2 I already had the top and the skirt, just needed the SweatyBand.
My 10k outfit almost matches your marathon one! I am going for the headband ears, but NO WAY could I stand them for the marathon! Sweaty band looks like a much better idea - but I've never yet found a headband that stays put
Yeah I have a feeling that Minnie is a popular one! :goodvibes Seriously, maybe I just have a weirdly gigantic head, but I head a headache for the rest of the day after wearing the ears for the Jingle Jungle 5K. Lesson learned there!

The SweatyBands definitely stay put. Cannot recommend them highly enough...I wore SweatyBands for my previous 2 marathons along with most all of my other races that they are awesome. Pricey, but awesome.
Wow. I didn't realize these race reports were out here!
Yeah, it probably would have made more sense to post this in the WISH section...oops! :blush:
Ariel484, it's pretty amazing how you've kept this thread up! Your enthusiasm about the races and Disney is contagious!
Thanks! :goodvibes Glad the enthusiasm is showing through...now that I'm just over a week away from flying down to WDW (!!) my excitement levels are starting to reach critical mass! :eek:
Kudos and props for all of your running accomplishments!!!
Thank you!! :yay:
An awesome grand finale of an outfit for the marathon. I love that you are doing a Minnie tribute. With your avatar, I always think of you and Minnie as a pair.
Thanks! And yeah...Minnie is my bud, for sure. :hug:
I'm hoping that weather forecast cools off a bit. That first marathon year I was planning to wear a black tank and then changed out to a lightweight white one at the last minute with the forecast.
And you SWEATED PINK! :teeth:

Honestly, after Wine & Dine, the potential for precipitation of any kind is what I am most worried about. Of course, cooler and less humid is always preferred...really, I just demand perfect weather. Is that too much to ask? :)

2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - The Outfit Okay, the grand finale of the weekend! Although for anyone that's been reading this pre-trip report since the beginning, this may not come as much of a surprise since I have mentioned this outfit before. :) Early this year I had a Dopey-inspired outfit ready to go for the marathon - the green Love 48.6 RawThreads equilibrium top with a plain purple SparkleSkirt. At first I thought it was perfect, but as time went on, I just wasn't feeling it. Partly because I figured out that the RawThreads tanks just don't work for me, and partly because...I don't know, I just wasn't feeling it. :confused: Also, I'm pretty sure that green tank would have shown the sweat like crazy and would have looked awful by the end of the race. And then I figured out that the RT shirts don't really breathe or wick moisture super well (man, I'm really going to be dying in my RT shirt during the half, aren't I?! :crazy2:) AND they chafe my arms, so that sealed the deal. I really love RT shirts for everyday wear - for races, they aren't my favorite. As time went on, another contender emerged, and I actually ended up selling both the tank and the skirt I'd originally planned on wearing (the SweatyBand survived my running clothes purge and I still use it regularly - it's part of my 10K outfit)...so there's no turning back now! I present...my topless/classic Minnie-inspired outfit for the marathon! First, an absolutely perfect SweatyBand - the Lil Bow Peep (the one on the left): I thought about wearing a pair of ears (specifically the black, sequined ears with red bow or the black ears with the red and white polka-dotted bow sold in the parks), but after the headache I got from wearing ears for the Jingle Jungle 5K, there's just no way I can stand it for the marathon. Plus, the SweatyBand option is cheaper than buying a new pair of ears and I have gotten, and I will get a decent amount of use out of it. Going much simpler with the top - just a plain ol', tried and true black Nike dri-fit top. And finally...a SparkleSkirt, natch. The RedMiniTech! And I can't forget my pink Brooks Adrenalines. I guess if I was really dedicated I'd attached yellow felt on them or something to make them look like Minnie's shoes. Meh...I'm too lazy for that. So this is the outfit that dethroned the Dopey-inspired outfit I had all ready to go at the beginning of this year. I just love Minnie (obviously since she's my avatar!) - wearing this outfit for the 10K seems too obvious, and it seems somewhat appropriate to represent Mickey's true love during the Mickey-themed marathon. :love: The big problem with this outfit? Wearing a black top out in the Florida sun. I may be cursing myself for this one in a few weeks. But at least I'll look cute doing it! :upsidedow Continued in Next Post

So cute! I'm going as Minnie for the Full also, and have worried a little bit about the black tank being too hot. Oh well, I guess we'll see. ;) It will be my birthday, so my husband ironed "Birthday Girl" on the front and a cupcake with 35 on the back. Haven't decided what to wear on my head yet.

PS, Im on episode 6 of Serial and loving it! It keeps my brain busy and makes the miles fly by! I'm trying to ration the episodes now so that I have a couple left for marathon day. :D

Shannon, how expensive are Sweaty Bands actually? :scared1:

I spent $12 on a Lulu Lemon headband once and... Well, we just don't talk about that now :rotfl2: (thank goodness I got it in FL - they are nearly double that at home)

I'm deliberately ignoring the weather forecasts....

So cute! I'm going as Minnie for the Full also, and have worried a little bit about the black tank being too hot. Oh well, I guess we'll see. ;) It will be my birthday, so my husband ironed "Birthday Girl" on the front and a cupcake with 35 on the back. Haven't decided what to wear on my head yet.
Ha! Another Minnie! :) That was awesome of your husband to jazz up your shirt for you. :goodvibes
PS, Im on episode 6 of Serial and loving it! It keeps my brain busy and makes the miles fly by! I'm trying to ration the episodes now so that I have a couple left for marathon day. :D
YES!! And have you seen that Jay has been doing interviews lately? I cannot get enough of this stuff! I've even considered listening to the whole thing again...
Shannon, how expensive are Sweaty Bands actually? :scared1:

I spent $12 on a Lulu Lemon headband once and... Well, we just don't talk about that now :rotfl2: (thank goodness I got it in FL - they are nearly double that at home)
A wee bit pricey! www.sweatybands.com They'll be at the expo and when they were at Wine & Dine they did have some kind of special pricing - I forget what it was but it involved buying 3 and getting the 4th at a discount or something. I remember not being impressed with whatever the deal was, and I already have quite a few SweatyBands, so I didn't take advantage of it. :confused3

I've never tried the Lululemon headbands - I had one in my hand and was ready to purchase a little over a year ago, but didn't because I remembered DUH, I already have SweatyBands - so I can't say firsthand that SweatyBands are better than the Lulu ones.
I'm deliberately ignoring the weather forecasts....
I'm starting to look a little more now that we're actually getting closer...even though I know it'll continue to change!! :faint:

Love all the costumes! For Black Friday I bought my first rawthreads shirts and they are cute to wear, but based on your experiences, I'm not even going to try wearing them for a run. I'm just going to be a Mouseketeer- using the blue sparklesjirt with the pleats and ribbon and a white tech shirt I'll iron my name in. I'm usually all about the over the top costumes for Disney races, but for the marathon I just want to be in normal running clothes. I'm kind of freaking out about getting this race done :scared:
I love the marathon sweaty band. I'm bummed because I know by the time I get to the expo Saturday everything will be gone. Oh well. Better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all, right?
I can't believe that for how long we all have been reading this training report that it's almost done. Then we will get to read the trip report! :cheer2:

Love all the costumes! For Black Friday I bought my first rawthreads shirts and they are cute to wear, but based on your experiences, I'm not even going to try wearing them for a run.
I'm sure they work for some people, just not me!

I'm telling you...after those Black Friday prices I feel like I can never pay full price for one of those shirts again!!
I'm just going to be a Mouseketeer- using the blue sparklesjirt with the pleats and ribbon and a white tech shirt I'll iron my name in. I'm usually all about the over the top costumes for Disney races, but for the marathon I just want to be in normal running clothes. I'm kind of freaking out about getting this race done
That outfit sounds adorable!! I'm with you on maximum comfort for the marathon - I'm sure you will do GREAT!! :)
I love the marathon sweaty band. I'm bummed because I know by the time I get to the expo Saturday everything will be gone. Oh well. Better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all, right?
I'm really, really hoping they will re-stock stuff from day to day. I'm preparing myself for the possibility that I'll want to go back on Thursday to get a second chance at whatever I miss on Wednesday...:faint:
I can't believe that for how long we all have been reading this training report that it's almost done. Then we will get to read the trip report!
:teeth: You know it!!

Week 8 of Dopey Challenge Training
Monday, December 29, 2014 - Sunday, January 4, 2015

15 miles completed
202.65 miles completed in Dopey Challenge training so far
841.26 miles completed in 2014
131.1 completed in December 2014

Monday, December 29: 4-mile treadmill run

Last night I was thinking about how my 3 taper runs have gone so far...overall I would say they have been good, but not great. I was definitely expecting this decrease in mileage to feel awesome and easy, but mostly I’ve been feeling stiff and like my legs are heavy. So I did a little research and found that the heavy legs feeling is very common when tapering for a marathon, along with having phantom pains pop up (which I would also say is happening...I felt like I had a weird knot in my calf all last week, and just this morning it’s started to go away). I feel like I must have felt like this when I trained for marathon weekends 2012 and 2013, but I guess I just don’t remember since it’s been a few years. At any rate, I was VERY relieved to read that it’s normal not to feel great during taper (which I had been expecting mentally, but not physically)...and now I find myself getting super excited for race weekend!

Something helping that excitement...this YouTube video that my friend found on Facebook. It’s about 14 minutes long and goes through the marathon course. I believe it’s from 2013 (especially since it features the awful Mile 20 “Spectacular”)...no matter how closely I looked I did not see myself in the video. Sadness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8aXaFeb28&app=desktop

Seriously obsessed with this video right now. I watched it twice yesterday and I’m sure I’ll watch it again more than once this week. It gives me goosebumps!

Anyway...got off on a tangent there. In my taper research I found that it’s recommended to stop cross training during this time...which means no more Core class for me until I return home from WDW. I’m more than okay with this. I really like Core class but I’m starting to get into that paranoid pre-race mindset where I’m hyper aware of any possible thing that could get me injured or sick. Core definitely falls in that first category. The article I’m referencing did say yoga was okay up until race week, so I’m signed up for 2 classes later this week. We’ll see if I actually go to them!

I have to shift my schedule around a bit this week, and since I axed Core this morning I decided to get my 4-mile treadmill run out of the way. The first 2 miles felt like my other taper runs have been feeling - I was stiff and sort of struggling. Finally, FINALLY, the last 2 miles actually felt good. Mentally I wasn’t super into it by then, but physically I definitely felt better. Now that the run has been over for a few hours I feel pretty good. I stuck to 3/1 intervals today with the run intervals at a 10:20/mile pace and the walk intervals at about an 18:00/mile pace. Total time for this run was 46:07, about an 11:31/mile pace.

What else, what else...oh! I started packing yesterday! :upsidedow Not gonna lie, I started laying out my race outfits a week or two ago (or maybe before that…) - mostly so that I wouldn’t end up doing crazy last-minute laundry, but also because I’m JUST TOO EXCITED. My current plan is to take a smaller rolling suitcase as a carry-on along with my camera bag - in that suitcase I have packed my 5K and 10K outfits, and I’ll have my running shoes in there as well. My larger suitcase (which will be checked) will have my half and marathon outfits, along with all of my other crap, including throwaway clothes - how convenient! I’ll throw them away and have room for all that merch I want to buy! :teeth: I am a chronic over-packer so I’m hoping that I can fit everything in that I want to take with me. At least I won’t have to pack as many *normal* clothes, what with the 6 race shirts I’ll be getting at the expo...

Again, no pictures from this week, and I’m scraping the bottom of the barrel for my Disney pictures...so let’s look at some race bling! Because it is ALL about the bling, and Disney race bling is just so, so awesome. Here’s my 2011 Princess Half Marathon medal!
IMG_2198.JPG

Tuesday, December 30: 3-mile treadmill run

Stick a fork in 2014 (running-wise), because it’s DONE!

Let me tell you, when my alarm went off this morning I was SO not into it. After snoozing 5 times (a habit I need to break) I finally dragged myself out of bed and to the gym. And I’m so glad I did, because this run was actually pretty good! I finally didn’t feel any of the stiffness I have been experiencing this past week. I do have a wee bit of soreness in the top of my left calf from time to time, so that’s something I’m going to watch closely, for sure.

For this run I stuck to 5.8 MPH (10:20/mile pace) for the running intervals and 3.3 MPH (18:00/mile or something) for my 1-minute walk intervals. I did two 5-minute running intervals, two 4:30 running intervals, and then two 4-minute running intervals. After a walk break I had to run for another minute or so to get to 3 miles. Total time for this run was 33:40, about 11:13/mile pace. Just two training runs left!! :yay:

That leaves me at 131.1 miles in December 2014, and 841ish miles for the year. I guess that’s not too bad for 3 weeks with zero running (1 week in Disney right at the beginning of the year, 1 week with bronchitis and an ear infection after the Royal Family 5K, and 1 week injured in the fall). Plus 2 more injury weeks followed by taking all of October to try to slowly building back up to where I was pre-injury.

Over the past few years I’ve had it in the back of my head that it would be cool to run 1,000 miles over the course of the year - a very common goal I’ve read about others achieving - but I never “officially” set that goal, and I’m really glad I didn’t this year. Just too many ups and downs for me, and I would have really hated to have finished 2014 feeling like I “failed” by not running 1,000 miles. Even though the injury I had in the fall really stands out to me, 2014 was really not a bad running year for me - I feel like I got my mojo back after being pretty burned out in 2013, I set PRs in 4 distances (5K, 5 miles, 10K and 10 miles) and I signed up for the Dopey Challenge. Not too shabby!

Goals for 2015? Not sure yet. One of my big goals for 2014 was to get my half marathon time under 2:10...if I couldn’t do that I would have been more than happy with breaking my half marathon PR of 2:13:32. But anyone who’s been reading this thread knows how that went. I definitely think I have sub-2:10 in me - I KNOW I am capable of breaking my now 2-year-old half marathon PR - but I’m a little nervous to try again after what happened this year, so for now, I’m trying to just focus on getting fast again. I feel like I made some speed gains this year before getting injured derailed me, so I’d like to get back to where I was before September of this year.

And of course I CANNOT forget the big goal - surviving Dopey (aka step 1 of going Coast to Coast in 2015)! Duh. Isn’t that what this thread is all about anyway?! :upsidedow

More race bling! This time from the 2012 WDW Marathon!
IMG_5451.JPG

Wednesday, December 31: Rest Day

Hooray for sleeping in! And boy did I need it. I had a HORRIBLE night of sleep on Sunday night - no marathon nightmares since the first one last week, I just have trouble falling asleep on Sundays. Never fails. Monday night was better, just went to bed a little too late. It all caught up to me last night when, around 9:30, I suddenly felt like I’d been hit by a truck. I was afraid I was getting sick :eek: but I think it was just lack of sleep catching up to me. I got a pretty solid almost 8 hours last night and I do feel better, but I’m going to try to be smarter about getting enough sleep over the next few days.

Because just around this time 1 week from now, I will be BOARDING A PLANE TO DISNEY. SQUUEEEEEEE!

The race bling series continues, this time with my medallion and medals from 2013’s WDW Marathon Weekend!
edited-0573.jpg

Thursday, January 1: 8-mile run
Weather: sunny, 28 degrees and windy

Happy 2015!!

Last long run of training is done! Just one run left!

The run itself felt REALLY good, for the most part - I stuck to 4:1 intervals and that worked well for me today. Other than a little knee tweaky-ness around the half way mark, I felt great - almost springy. Yeehaw!

The second half of this out-and-back felt decidedly less springy, I think because I was running with the 20MPH on my way out. Different story running back home! :eek: I had a headache for the rest of the day due to the wind, I think, but overall I’m happy with how it went - 1:27:53 for the run, a 10:59/mile pace.

Race bling...my finisher medallion from the first time I ran/slogged my way through the Castaway Cay 5K (September 2013).
IMG_1060.jpg

Friday, January 2: Warm Yoga Flow

Crowded class today! Nothing earth shattering to say about it, but I’m glad I went and it felt good. :)

Packing update: I decided not to bring my DSLR on this trip and just rely on my phone for pictures. I brought my DSLR for Wine & Dine and only used it to take pictures of the room - the rest of the pictures from that weekend are from my phone or my point-and-shoot. I'm actually pretty relieved by this decision - my camera bag is pretty heavy and lugging that and my rolling suitcase through the airport was just NOT appealing!

Today’s race bling is a special double-shot! First, 2013’s Jingle Jungle 5K finisher medallion...
WnDEdit-118.jpg

...followed by my finisher medal from the 2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon!
WnDEdit-263.jpg

Saturday, January 3: Rest Day

Busy day today - “Christmas” with the in-laws, so I made sure to shuffle my schedule so my day would be free! :santa:

2014 Cinderella Royal Family 5K Finisher medallion...love how they worked SpaceShip Earth into this medallion!
IMG_0327.jpg

Sunday, January 4: Hot Yoga Flow

Two yoga classes in a week! Look at that!

I said above I didn’t have any hard running-related goals for 2015, beyond gaining back some of the speed I had earlier this year...but I would like to get to yoga more regularly and make that my main form of cross training. Specifically I’d like to try to consistently make it to 2 classes per week, and eventually get strong enough to make my way into power yoga classes. We’ll see!

And with that…

3 days until Disney (including today)
2 days of work left
1 short run

Almost time to gooooooo!

Closing out the race bling for this week...my most recent set. The 2014 Jingle Jungle 5K finisher medallion (complete with ears and a lovely concrete backdrop)...
15886241080_6d62fd3136.jpg

...and the spinner from Splash & Dash 2014.
15886586288_309792058a.jpg

Continued in Next Post

I love all the bling pictures!! Great motivation. I'm glad you posted that video. I've watched it a couple of times already too. :thumbsup2 It's hard to believe in just one week it will all be over.

Sounds like you had a good final full week of training. I've loved tagging along on your training report. Now on to the races!!! :banana:

You are definitely kicking butt training! The WDW Marathon will be my first marathon and ever since my last long run (20 miler on Dec. 20th) I have had NO motivation to do anything! I'm just ready for this to be over and I am officially mentally and physically over it! Brought my running clothes to do some short runs this week during lunch break but I have definitely fallen off the wagon. Hoping the last 2ish weeks won't hurt me too much for the actual race.

Love all the bling pics, especially the W&D spinner! What a beauty! I definitely need to do that race!

I am ON the airplane right now, MagicBand on, waiting to takeoff, and will be in Orlando in a few hours!!! Woo-hoo! It's finally here! Good luck to you!!!

Good luck this week, Shannon. I am heading down tomorrow evening and so not ready for this race. Too many issues to recount but I am looking forward to getting it started and over with!! Looks like you are all set for the races. Lets hope the current Sunday weather changes for the better. One thing to count on in January (in Florida) is the unpredictability of the weather!

I love all the bling pictures!! Great motivation. I'm glad you posted that video. I've watched it a couple of times already too. :thumbsup2 It's hard to believe in just one week it will all be over.
He also has videos for the 5K, 10K and half, so I watched ALL of them multiple times yesterday. :goodvibes
Sounds like you had a good final full week of training. I've loved tagging along on your training report. Now on to the races!!! :banana:
I think so! Just hoping not to roll an ankle power-walking through MCO on my way to the Magical Express area on Wednesday. :)

THANK YOU for following along the entire time! I really appreciate it! :hug:
You are definitely kicking butt training! The WDW Marathon will be my first marathon and ever since my last long run (20 miler on Dec. 20th) I have had NO motivation to do anything! I'm just ready for this to be over and I am officially mentally and physically over it! Brought my running clothes to do some short runs this week during lunch break but I have definitely fallen off the wagon. Hoping the last 2ish weeks won't hurt me too much for the actual race.
Thank you!! :)

Congrats on tackling your first marathon! It's really an incredible experience - nothing like it. Disney Magic will pull you through. :) Good luck and have fun!
Love all the bling pics, especially the W&D spinner! What a beauty! I definitely need to do that race!

I am ON the airplane right now, MagicBand on, waiting to takeoff, and will be in Orlando in a few hours!!! Woo-hoo! It's finally here! Good luck to you!!!
AHHHH so jealous! Of course you probably cannot read this now if you're on the plane...:) Have fun and good luck!!
Good luck this week, Shannon. I am heading down tomorrow evening and so not ready for this race. Too many issues to recount but I am looking forward to getting it started and over with!! Looks like you are all set for the races. Lets hope the current Sunday weather changes for the better. One thing to count on in January (in Florida) is the unpredictability of the weather!
Thank you!! So sorry to hear about the issues that popped up for you. :( But I know you will do awesomely!! Good luck! :)

With you on the weather forecast. But after Wine & Dine I'll just be happy if it stays DRY!! :eek:

Love all those bling pictures! I especially like that picture of your Jingle Jungle bib with the medal and mouse ears- cute!

I'm having some phantom pains during my taper as well. Just strange things that have never bothered me before. Nothings persisted which I'm taking as a good sign. Hearing the same things from you makes me feel even better, lol!

Safe travels to race weekend! Can't believe its finally here!! :banana:

Love all those bling pictures! I especially like that picture of your Jingle Jungle bib with the medal and mouse ears- cute!
Thanks Emily!! :goodvibes
I'm having some phantom pains during my taper as well. Just strange things that have never bothered me before. Nothings persisted which I'm taking as a good sign. Hearing the same things from you makes me feel even better, lol!
Aren't the phantoms pains the weirdest thing? Soooo unsettling. I totally know what you mean, reading that article that it's normal totally turned my mood around for the better!
Safe travels to race weekend! Can't believe its finally here!! :banana:
Thanks, you too! Good luck and have fun! :)

So I did a little research and found that the heavy legs feeling is very common when tapering for a marathon, along with having phantom pains pop up (which I would also say is happening...I felt like I had a weird knot in my calf all last week, and just this morning it’s started to go away).

That's exactly how my pain started! Except it never went away, and the pain started transforming into all kinds of other pains :confused3 I spent like 3 days massaging and heating my leg until I realized it was not normal muscle cramps/tightness and I started trying rest and ice instead. I don't think it's a stress fracture, although some of the systems are there, but I do have this fear of my leg snapping in half :scared1:. I'm risking it anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter