International a Gateway to close 11/27 to 12/17?

Perfect, after moving from AKL due to their Pool being closed, a split stay at BWI and BC now potentially ruined by the IG being closed!

Martin at wdwmagic is saying that the IG will not be completely closed and will remain open to foot traffic. He's been pretty accurate in other insights (in my experience) so my fingers are firmly crossed this is another example of that. ::yes::

ITA! He wouldn’t have said it unless he was confident.

BUT, the fact that he was specific to say “foot traffic” does lead me to believe that the boats will not run. I’m just not convinced that they won’t run at all for the entire time.

Martin at wdwmagic is saying that the IG will not be completely closed and will remain open to foot traffic. He's been pretty accurate in other insights (in my experience) so my fingers are firmly crossed this is another example of that. ::yes::
He is pretty reliable.

Maybe they are working in the water at DHS or Epcot for the Gondola construction.

We are staying at BW 12/16 - 12/20, moving over from GF. What infuriates me the most about this is the lack of any communication from Disney on this. I understand that it is not confirmed that the IG entrance will be closed to foot traffic, but it looks like the boats won't be running during that time. How can Swan and Dolphin guests be notified well in advance of this by the hotel, but Disney guests have to find out on a fan forum? It is this type of thing that has finally made us decide to make this our last trip to WDW. you have to start planning a year in advance, but all of that planning is worthless because they don't communicate planned hours and closures far enough in advance.. Sorry, rant over and hopefully the IG will remain open to guest foot traffic at least.

Whelp, Disney just called to cancel our 12/4 Illuminations Cruise :(
They are refunding us and holding a free dessert party for those impacted, including free admission to Epcot.

bummer that your cruise got cancelled - but at least that seems like decent guest recovery ... hope you are still able to have a great night!

We booked YC specifically to walk to Epcot & HS, so this potential closure is so frustrating. I can handle the boats not running, but a complete IG closure to foot traffic would be horrible. We're there Dec 13-18.

I'm curious if the cable laying is impacting the IG entrance(which has not been confirmed), wouldn't it also impact the walking path from Boardwalk area hotels going to DHS? I am assuming for safety/liability reasons they don't want guests walking under the lines as they are being tightened and inspected at the IG station. The walking path goes right under the DHS stations' cables as well, so I would guess that guests would also have to take a bus to DHS also.

Yeah I’d say the boats are the biggest question at the moment.
I’m very doubtful the boats will be running, but at least both boardwalk and especially yacht and beach are easy walking distance to Epcot.

I guess if the boats don’t run at all on the lagoon it’ll suck because that walk to the studios is a pretty decent hike (20 minutes but not fun I can imagine after a day of park activities)

I'm curious if the cable laying is impacting the IG entrance(which has not been confirmed), wouldn't it also impact the walking path from Boardwalk area hotels going to DHS? I am assuming for safety/liability reasons they don't want guests walking under the lines as they are being tightened and inspected at the IG station. The walking path goes right under the DHS stations' cables as well, so I would guess that guests would also have to take a bus to DHS also.
This is a worry for me too. I'm staying at BWV and was hoping to walk to/from Epcot. I guess if they close the Boardwalk access, we'd have to go all the way around Crescent Lake past the Swolphin, YC/BC, which would be a huge pain! I guess if so, I'd try to request a room close to that pathway.

Argh, this whole thing is so annoying!

If you're leaving after Fantasmic! or SWFW then the walk back to Epcot hotels is far shorter than waiting for the boat. Or it was 3 weeks ago :)

During our very first trip to WDW, (1990 or 91, I think) they ran little trams from the IG to the resorts - like the ones in the parking lots - in fact, the gondola stations is being build right where the tram picked up/dropped people off. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do something like that again....

Last edited:
I’m very doubtful the boats will be running, but at least both boardwalk and especially yacht and beach are easy walking distance to Epcot.

I guess if the boats don’t run at all on the lagoon it’ll suck because that walk to the studios is a pretty decent hike (20 minutes but not fun I can imagine after a day of park activities)
I know I’m a runner but I’ve never found the walk from the Boardwalk area to DHS that bad.

I know I’m a runner but I’ve never found the walk from the Boardwalk area to DHS that bad.
Oh, Ryan, you are also a young guy... some of us are older and have lots of parts that don't quite work the way they used to! Lots of discussion on whether the walk is long or not, or the wait for the boat is better than walking, or all sorts of opinions we may not want to stir up again.... suffice to say, some find the walk long... some don't... some find the wait for the boat better than the walk... some don't.... that topic could hijack this whole thread..... LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter