Invisible Disabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing you may already know this, but you need to ask for "stroller as a wheelchair" permission. There are a number of threads around here about taking a wheelchair through the queues, boarding procedure etc, which you might find useful. If you have any more questions, just ask, someone here will likely know the answer.

Have a wonderful time :goodvibes

I'm guessing you may already know this, but you need to ask for "stroller as a wheelchair" permission. There are a number of threads around here about taking a wheelchair through the queues, boarding procedure etc, which you might find useful. If you have any more questions, just ask, someone here will likely know the answer.

Have a wonderful time :goodvibes

I didn't know that. Is that different from a GAC card?

Deb

I didn't know that. Is that different from a GAC card?

Deb
That's what I was talking about.
There is a 'message' that can be stamped onto the GAC (Guest Assistance Card) that says "treat stroller as a wheelchair", which means you can bring the stroller into lines/buildings with you where strollers are not usually allowed.
They had been experimenting with using a sticker or tag that goes onto the stroller. That way, the CMs can see easily that you need the stroller to be treated as a wheelchair. They were using those the last time we went (late December) instead of a GAC.

Another note: You don't need to know what stamp/message you need on the GAC. When you tell the Cms in Guest Relations what needs you have, they will figure out the correct stamp to use.
If you find that stamp doesn't provide the help you need, you can go back to Guest Relations with your GAC and explain what further needs you have.

In your case, if you tell them that you need to have the stroller with you in line, the CMs will give you either a GAC with "stroller as wheelchair" stamp or a sticker that allows that.

Wow - read the op and the first few pages and wanted to say hi.

My sil used a GAC thanks to the great advice here. The past two times we visited together and it was a wonderful help but we did encounter some difficult and unhelpful CM's unfortunately. FTR, both our DH's (brothers!) don't really enjoy the parks but we do as of course do our kids so we leave them at home and do a trip together once a year. It helps that she lives close by:)

Anyway, my SIL has MS and for the most part is very healthy, (Thank God) and as far as MS goes she has been lucky so far. As of now she only needs to keep a close watch on her body temp as she can't regulate it well, if she gets to warm she can't cool down and visa versa. So she got a GAC that simply lets her wait in the shade. It made the difference between taking her kids 3 and 5 to WDW or not. Most of the time we were able to do what we wanted by using FP and rider swap (for the 3yo) and a few other times she did use the GAC card.

We did have a couple of issues - the CM at Dumbo wanted more information than she was willing to give and would not honor the GAC. He also assumed it was for my nephew who is a crazy normal 5yo!. We ended up sending her into the Pinocchio restaurant to cool off and wait and I waited the line with the kids for Dumbo. I tried to text her to come out when we were boarding so she could at least watch and take pictures but she didn't get a signal. The kids were happy but she felt as if she had missed out :(

We did get some snarky comments but most CM's were kind and helpful. I am so dishartened to read what the CM at the Monorial said to you OP though.

I am still thankful that WDW issues the GAC so everyone can enjoy the magic. Lets hope that it isn't taken advantage of by those who don't need it so that the CM's get "soured" or worse.

TJ

I am 23, I look perfectly healthy (a bit underweight but that is due to multiple disabilities) I often have to rent an ECV to make it through the parks. I can walk one, but then will not move from bed for the next 3 days and will have knees that look like I have 3 kneecaps.

This is from the Ehlers-Danlos foundation (one of my illnesses) and it sums it up pretty well. It was distributed to all my teachers throughout school and really helped with understanding.

http://www.ednf.org/abouteds/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=153&Itemid=49

ETA: I could use an ECV for every day use, but I am too stubborn and refuse to do it just yet, though it is coming down to that very quickly.

I went to the parks for my 20th birthday earlier this month. I have chronic fatigue syndrome & fibromyalgia, both invisible disabilities. The doctors are also searching for other things, because it does not seem they have found everything for different reasons. I have to be in a wheelchair for any theme park, I find that an ECV is too tiring and hurts me to do all the steering, braking, etc. Normally, the CM are nice to me, some a bit distant or not so nice because I look so young and don't seem to be sick. When I am with my family they are generally nicer, with my friends they are not as nice. This last trip though...I got a LOT of stares and rude comments from the CM's, and the guests. It was really upsetting, as my whole life has been turned upside down and I can no longer perform many tasks that others take for granted. I had been bedridden up to the point of going out for my birthday after coming home from taking exams (i'm a college sophomore). I was just upset to find that the mentality of the CM's had changed and that if my mom hadn't been right there to give them her best "mom" look then I am sure that a few of them would not have let me use the wheelchair entrance (waiting in line, even in a wheelchair is very exhausting for me). There were some very nice CM's in a few places though, like the one in the bakery on main street when I wanted a cupcake and the CM working seemed to sense I wasn't having a great time and really went out of her way to wish me a happy birthday and make me feel happy again. I never said anything or showed displeasure but I hated when the CM would look over my head and ask my parents what I wanted or if I could do this, or ignore me completely. I have never had that bad an experience there, and I love Disney and go all the time. Sorry if that didn't make complete sense, I realize I may have jumped topics in this.

I understand exactly what you are saying and my heart goes out to you. When I say I understand that is because I have Severe Fibromyalgia and Thoratic Outlet Syndrome and my DD is 20 also and has Severe Fibromyalgia. The doctors can't believe my DD is even functioning and going to college. I think I made her stubborn and always made her keep going even if it was too hard. I said if you give up you may never be able to do things again. I am the same way. I do many things that I should not do, but the alternative is to not be able to do what I want to do. I just keep fighting.

Keep fighting no matter how hard it gets.

We live close to Orlando and go to the parks very frequently, but lately the CM's are either nice or down right rude. I do not hessitate to report them when they treat us badly. There is absolutely not reason to act that way. I would love to work for Disney and train their employees on Invisible Disabilites. They should walk in our shoes for 1 day. I would wish on them what we have, but I would not wish that on anyone.

I am exactly the same way with stubborness. That is why I have kept going to college, because I know if I take time off then I will probably be worse later on, not better and will be unable to do this again. My doctors can't believe it either, especially as the pain nearly doubles daily sometimes.

My sister used to work for Disney, in training positions. My brother-in-law still does, I have spoken to him about it and he is trying to get some things done about it, though it's hard because he's not really in the position needed for that. But yeah...I'm entirely frustrated with everybody I meet now, just from parking in handicapped and getting glares or comments and just everything is so annoying some days. But thanks, I feel a bit better.

I've reported MANY cm's I had one outright ask me what my disability was...5 mins later I was at guest relations talking to the attractions manager for that park. I was LIVID, the manager was amazing his DD has disabilities and so he understood completely. I wanted nothing, just for them to be aware, and recieved nothing so it worked out well. Though I did later find out that, that CM was fired.

I also was told I would never make it through high school, let alone college, and I am now studying for my GRE's so I can go to grad school. Granted I will never have a full time job, and am on permanent disability, but I can at least learn a skill I enjoy to make what little work I do enjoyable and challenging.

I hate it when people talk to my mother or her boyfriend, just because I don't always walk so well (Ehlers-Danlos, JRA, and severe Fibromyalgia paired with peripheral neuropathy and a few other things) does not mean I cannot answer, speak, or think for myself. Regardless of illness or perhaps in spite of it (I was really angsty through school due to having to quit sports, gym, stairs, etc) I graduated with the highest GPA in my class, the highest SAT score in my class and the only one from my school with a full scholarship to the school of their choice.

Just because I can't walk, please don't assume I cannot speak. I hate the glares, but I am getting used to them (who knew a chihuahua could be an amazing service dog?) My favorite is when I have people stop and ask me "How would your grandparents feel about you using their h andicapped parking placard?"

I highly recommend stopping by guest relations or writing an email about poor cast member comments.

One particular trip I got several bad cm's in a row at MK.
So when we got back I wrote a email disney.

A couple months after the fact, I got a call. It was several years ago, but at least someone on the other end listened and wanted to know what happened.

Its not fun hearing crappy comments. Try your best to ignore them the best you can, and enjoy your time at Disney.

I also have chronic fatigue syndrome & fibromyalgia. My knees are in bad shape too and that makes it even harder to walk.
The pain is sometimes more that I can take, and I lay in bed and wonder when it will stop. Going to WDW is my happy place, Where I can put the pain out of my mind for a while.
I have a ECV that helps me get around the parks, and I am happy to have it. When home I use it when we go to places with a lot of walking. I get some very odd comments from people and try to just smile. I am always surprised that people say some weird things to me as if I am using the ECV for fun..
Deb

I'm surprised that no one on this thread has flamed the actual cheaters. Just like the people who sneak 8 family members into single room at the All Stars, there are people who think it's very clever to try to get a GAC when they don't need one. Lots of people look at those with invisible disabilities with a jaded eye because they remember an acquaintance telling them how they "beat the system." (I personally have known several people with handicapped parking stickers who admit that they use the parking even when the disabled person is not with them...or even after the disabled person has passed away!)

Disney can't control their guests' attitudes, but on the CM level, the policy should be once a GAC is issued, no questions asked!

Just like the people who sneak 8 family members into single room at the All Stars

Goodness me, that must be uncomfortable! But if the only way to get to go to Disney is to put up with that cramped a room, then I say let them have the magic, it's no skin off my nose. Maybe I'm just a sentimental fool, but if I am, I'm a happy fool.

I've never seen or heard of anyone cheat the system, but I can't tell who is and isn't cheating. If there are people who do cheat, I would rather they stopped doing so, but there's nothing I can do about it so I try not to let it bother me. I'm not having a go at the above poster, and I do see your point, but I'm going with the 'grant me the strength to change what I can, and the grace to accept what I cannot' line of thinking.

I'm just glad that Disney helps everyone to have a piece of the fairy dust, regardless of any challenges we may have in day to day life:goodvibes .

i personally think the "cheaters" should have to live a day in our shoes! i think they should have to actually spend the day in a manual chair and learn all the things they can't do the way they normally do. park in a normal space (cause sometimes the handicapped spaces are full), go grocery shopping (not being able to reach the top shelves), have to wait for the handicapped bathroom stall, things like that... i bet cheating becomes a lot less fun.

Goodness me, that must be uncomfortable! But if the only way to get to go to Disney is to put up with that cramped a room, then I say let them have the magic, it's no skin off my nose. Maybe I'm just a sentimental fool, but if I am, I'm a happy fool.

I've never seen or heard of anyone cheat the system, but I can't tell who is and isn't cheating. If there are people who do cheat, I would rather they stopped doing so, but there's nothing I can do about it so I try not to let it bother me. I'm not having a go at the above poster, and I do see your point, but I'm going with the 'grant me the strength to change what I can, and the grace to accept what I cannot' line of thinking.

I'm just glad that Disney helps everyone to have a piece of the fairy dust, regardless of any challenges we may have in day to day life:goodvibes .
I agree with you.
I can't tell who is cheating. I obviously don't like it, but it is one of those 'grant me the strength to change what I can, and the grace to accept what I cannot' type things.

I agree with you.
I can't tell who is cheating. I obviously don't like it, but it is one of those 'grant me the strength to change what I can, and the grace to accept what I cannot' type things.

You know, I keep reading or hearing tales about cheaters but I've yet to actually see one myself.

Now my disability is very visible (thanks to multiple joint contractures due to JRA) so I rarely get an eyelash batted at me. In fact, I usually get the opposite response of pity, praise or just plain shock to see what I can do. I'm also a very open and sociable person, independently mobile with the aid of my power wheelchair. That all helps me turn most situations into a positive.

But I admit I have seen a bit of a prejudice backlash from this cheater mythos. I've heard the gripes from mom's carrying their toddlers and wanting to know why I was allowed to bring my wheelchair inside when she had to park her stroller. (Um lady, because I couldn't walk inside otherwise?) And a CM or too has been a bit more hardliner on me when there were grumpy non-disabled patrons around.

Is it the widespread parking permit abuse that has everyone more suspicious? Yes, that is something I encounter everyday. Ironically, though I qualify for the permits and have them, since I got my driver's license I've found I rarely use the parking. Why? Because I have an accessible van with a passenger-side entry ramp. Most of the time my van accessible spot is taken by a car or the hatchmarks allowing me egress are filled with shopping cars or a vehicle half over them. So I end up parking in the farthest reaches of a lot where I'm least likely to be blocked in or out of my vehicle.

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but I am going to ask anyways.

My local target...has lik 12 handicapped spots, great right? OK not so much...EVERY single one of them has a Van Acessable sign on it. WTH am I supposed to do? NOT park in handicapped cuz I don't have a van? I hate taking the spaces from the van...but since every Handicapped space is acessable...it makes no sense.

What exactly is the proper etiquette in this situation?

You know, I keep reading or hearing tales about cheaters but I've yet to actually see one myself.

Now my disability is very visible (thanks to multiple joint contractures due to JRA) so I rarely get an eyelash batted at me. In fact, I usually get the opposite response of pity, praise or just plain shock to see what I can do. I'm also a very open and sociable person, independently mobile with the aid of my power wheelchair. That all helps me turn most situations into a positive.

But I admit I have seen a bit of a prejudice backlash from this cheater mythos. I've heard the gripes from mom's carrying their toddlers and wanting to know why I was allowed to bring my wheelchair inside when she had to park her stroller. (Um lady, because I couldn't walk inside otherwise?) And a CM or too has been a bit more hardliner on me when there were grumpy non-disabled patrons around.

Is it the widespread parking permit abuse that has everyone more suspicious? Yes, that is something I encounter everyday. Ironically, though I qualify for the permits and have them, since I got my driver's license I've found I rarely use the parking. Why? Because I have an accessible van with a passenger-side entry ramp. Most of the time my van accessible spot is taken by a car or the hatchmarks allowing me egress are filled with shopping cars or a vehicle half over them. So I end up parking in the farthest reaches of a lot where I'm least likely to be blocked in or out of my vehicle.
I agree with you about WDW.
Because of the 'cheater mythos' (good term!) and the 'if I think that someone with a disability might have an advantage, I want it too' attitudes, people at WDW look at anyone with a disability or using a wheelchair/ECV or GAC as a cheater. We have had some really rude experiences from other guests over the years and it seems like people are becoming more overt about it.
I also think you might be right about the reports of handicapped parking abuse - TV stations do stories about it during 'sweeps weeks' all the time as if it is fast breaking news. That does tend to make everyone look at people using those spots or anything they think might be an advantage with a great deal of suspicion.

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but I am going to ask anyways.

My local target...has lik 12 handicapped spots, great right? OK not so much...EVERY single one of them has a Van Acessable sign on it. WTH am I supposed to do? NOT park in handicapped cuz I don't have a van? I hate taking the spaces from the van...but since every Handicapped space is acessable...it makes no sense.

What exactly is the proper etiquette in this situation?
I don't think you should get flamed. You are asking a perfectly reasonable question and if you have a handicapped parking spot, you have a right to park in one if it is available.
What we have noticed is that van accessible spaces usually come in 2 sizes. The spaces themselves might look the same size, but the cross-hatched access space next to them are usually different sizes. If they all say "van accessible" and you have a choice of where to park, park in one of the spots with a smaller space next to it.

Another big problem that we see is people parking into the cross hatched space (not usually parking totally in it, but parking with their vehicle extending into it). I think because they don't need it themselves, they tend to think of it as part of 'their' parking spot and not really important.

People aslo put their carts in that crosshatched area. I can see that some might not feel they can take it all the way to the parking cart corrale, but at least if they leave it in another area, the parking spots and crosshatched area won't be blocked (like Targets around here have a wide walkway in front of the parking spots where it could be left close to the sign where it would not prevent someone from parking).
I usually try to gather up all the carts I can from the handicapped parking area when I put my own cart away or at least gather them all together in one place out tof the way if there are too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter