Invisible Disabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Folks.

This thread is starting to get a bit wild. How about thinking back to the original question and try to keep discussions calm and peaceful. Probably most of us have, or someone in our immediate family has, at least one invisible disability.

Disney tries to help people who need assistance. There are certain laws which limit what can be asked or done. Unfortunately we are not in a perfect world and there are always people who will cheat.

One thing to consider is if steps are taken to prevent any cheating it will tend to make life (and visiting WDW) harder for the rest of us.

Disney can get rid of the GAC as a system, but they cannot get rid of the accommodations it provides. once again, that would be illegal.

Actually I think that Disney can get rid of the accommodations that a GAC provides. For standard ADA access a GAC isn't needed. However for things not normally provided by the ADA the GAC is used. For instance I don't believe the ADA has requirements for providing a shaded or quiet area to wait in instead of a normal line.

I'm not suggesting that Disney should get rid of the GAC. I'm just saying that the GAC is an extra service provided to guests and not required by law.

I'd rather THINK that some people may be 'cheating' than KNOW the people who need assistance cannot get it.

Actually I think that Disney can get rid of the accommodations that a GAC provides. For standard ADA access a GAC isn't needed. However for things not normally provided by the ADA the GAC is used. For instance I don't believe the ADA has requirements for providing a shaded or quiet area to wait in instead of a normal line.

I'm not suggesting that Disney should get rid of the GAC. I'm just saying that the GAC is an extra service provided to guests and not required by law.

what i meant was that Disney cannot get rid of accessibility...

i did not mean to be angry, but being told that people who stand behind the ADA as their means of getting necessary accommodations rather than simply stating their disease or disability, has something to hide was a little offensive...

i would rather have a few people cheat and know that people can get what they need rather than have arguments at guest services!!

My DW suffers from Lupus and Fybromyalgia, and is something i would not wish on my worst enemy.
But she tries to get on with her life as best she can. And to look at her she seems a normal healthy middle aged women [she reads this she will kill me for saying she is middle aged] .
When we where at Disney last year, she said she would not be using a W/C and would do what she could and then back to hotel when things got to much, this was the reason we stayed on site.
Unfortunatley she had to go into hospital for a foot operation prior to our holiday, so she ended up having to use a W/C as she struggled to cope with Crutches. we got a Gac card and never encountered any nasty comments from people or CM, although coming out after the nighttime parade some people trying to push there way to the front of the line for the Monorail nearly fell on her, and they had no respect for people in W/C as there was a few people coming out that night in W/C.

I made NO allegation to anyone in particular. By the way, my child suffers from a chronic fatal , painful and invisible illness....

CM's are getting frustrated with cheaters as I am sure Disney is. One day it will all come to a head and the GAC will be changed on eliminated to some degree.

What can Disney do to curb it, other then ask for proof?

Like I stated earlier, Seaworld just this past November asked me my child's diagnosis. I had no problem telling them. It was done in a private area with no one else around. They given the diagnosis, decided what kind of assistance he required....

Once again this never was aimed at anyone! I spoke in general. ...This is my personal opinion. I too believe that all who need a GAC with legitimate disablities should be given one. It a shame that there are people that ruin it for other and casr doubt on the GAC.

Charleyann

To pretend to steal from Disney, but Disney can't open their months or they can be sued because the ADA states, blah, blah, blah. You know, you couldn't apply for diability benefits without proper documentation.
The same as the disabled parking cards. What would be the reason not to show proof of disability or illness?

Once again, People stand behind this(ADA) " It is illegal for Disney to ask" People use it to their advantage and threaten to sue, whether they are diabled or not. Once again it is usually someone who has something to hide!

Charleyann
I have a handicapped tag for my car as well as my own power wheelchair. I believe that my disbailities are private information and shoould remain just that. Maybe you should take over my body for a few weeks and see how you like to be in constant pain. I don't appreciate your insinuation. Maybe anyone who wants can get in your private business in Canada but in the US it is against the law.

Like I stated earlier, Seaworld just this past November asked me my child's diagnosis. I had no problem telling them. It was done in a private area with no one else around. They given the diagnosis, decided what kind of assistance he required....
Charleyann
Perhaps SeaWorld asked you but they do not ask everyone and you can legally refuse to give them that information. Last summer I was there with my best friend and her family and 3 of us use wheelchairs. We were not asked for a diagnosis and only asked questions that were specific to the rides such as back and neck problems. I was asked my height as I am quite short so that also was a reasonable question. My friend was not asked her diagnosis either nor that of her daughter. The area that we were in was not private at all but at Guest Services with people walking in and out. My pass I was given had a list of rides they felt were safe for me to ride.

I agree with what Cheshire Figment wrote a few posts back.

This thread has gone into a bad place and I think now is a good time to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter