Invisible Disabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! That target is the only place I ever take a van acessable spot. There is never any parking, I have no idea why, it's never that busy inside. I often won't even use my handicapped parking, as I can often walk, but Target (and wal-mart) are just too much for me.

OK, here's a twist for y'all. My mom is in a WC anytime there is significant walking. I'm not usually needing a WC, unless it's ALOT (like WDW). Sometimes, tho, mom wants to get up and walk a bit. She then just pushes her chair. One time she wanted to walk, and I really needed to sit. So we switched places (it was flat and smooth, so pushing was easy). We got some real glares from people, who I imagine thought we were faking, or at least I was, since anyone who watches mom walk KNOWS she isn't faking! How do you handle something like this. We certainly don't need 2 chairs, but at different times, we both need to use the one chair we have.

TIA

How do you handle the situation. You just ignore the people.
You know you need a break, your mom knows she can walk some. so thats all you need to know.

Just because you rent an ecv or wheel chair does not mean you have
to be sitting in it 24/7 when at WDW.
In fact, if you are mobile at home, you don't want to not use your legs for the length of your vacation. Its the you don't use it you loose it for your leg muscles. You should if your able have your mom walk a little to keep her leg strength that she does have. I'm not talking about having her go crazy and walk more than usual.

I always try to do the walking at safe places and times. Like walking where there aren't crowds, like maybe to and from the bus to your resort room, a stretch where your mom has some energy.
I don't advise walking in crowds after parades and fireworks shows.

I only use an ecv when we are at WDW. I don't use one any where else.
I don't like the wheel chairs because I don't like relying on my DH to push me, I like my independance in deciding which way to face, and not being parked facing a wall. My hubby has no knowledge of what he does when pushing the wheel chair. He's almost dumped me in the RR tracks at least 5 times.

My DH has no need for an ecv, however I need to get up and use my legs because I don't want to loose the muscle I do have in my legs, just so nobody thinks I'm a cheater. So, he gets a break and I walk for a while.
If we are in a spot where we can park the scooter to the side, and do the attractions in that area then leave, that works too.

I think I would have tackled the woman in Walmart. I wouldn't have been able to maintain your composure. That's so horribly rude of her to say that about your child. Hugs.

I am lucky to say we go to WDW alot, living 30 mins away.Many days we just go so my DD can see a prade or watch a show. I have seen a steady decline in how CM's talk to us when we use the GAC. I always let them know at guest services and have been told many times that CM's "feel" so many are abusing the system they just feel very negative about them. My DD disablilities are not invisible and we still hear alot of negative comments.
As for cheaters.. I have had people stop me at WDW explaining "the pass" to me many have been so foolish to explain that all you have to do is tell them a story and they will give it to you. When I lived in NY a "friend " told me how he just tells them that he's had a heart attack and knee operation and they always give him one.
I had a lady one eve explain to me many ways she has figured out how to "beat" disney when it comes to even resorts stays claiming they need a handicapp room plus and extra room for the"caregiver" I was ready to explode :furious: I think my face said it all..

I don't understand. How do you fool Disney and get an extra room for caregiver?
Disney just gives rooms away if you take a caregiver?

I understand there is abuse going on ...holy cow, look on this board. Some of these same issues wouldn't have warranted a GAC just 5 years ago and now everyone and every diagnosis is almost granted a GAC! I think nowthe GAC is just better known and people are using it to their advantage. You have two year olds having meltdown in lines. How do you differantuate between the terrible two's/ three's and meltdowns? Where does disney draw the line?

There are people who definitely are not abusing and then there are the people who could get along without....but threaten to sue, and blah, blah, blah and there are those who are just plain ignorant and abuse! I think these people should be prosecuted. You are if you park in a wheelchair parking lot if you don't have the card....

Prehaps Disney should follow the motor vehicle act in regards to handicapped parking cards...Better yet- Disney fight the system and demand medical documentation. I have a disabled child and I have no problem producing documentation. Those who would fight this most likely have something to hide!

Go ahead and flame!

Charleyann
:mad:

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but I am going to ask anyways.

My local target...has lik 12 handicapped spots, great right? OK not so much...EVERY single one of them has a Van Acessable sign on it. WTH am I supposed to do? NOT park in handicapped cuz I don't have a van? I hate taking the spaces from the van...but since every Handicapped space is acessable...it makes no sense.

What exactly is the proper etiquette in this situation?

I think those signs mean "Van accessible" not "van only".

Just like there was some confusion here once at the local post office about just what the handicapped card really meant. Because it shows a person in a wheelchair, a postal employee thought it meant just for people in wheelchairs, he didn't realize it is just a universal symbol of access (well...you have to put something there as a symbol!)

Or the confusion about handicapped accessible toilets. That doesn't mean handicapped people only can use them, it just means that they are equipped for the handicapped as well.

I really think its ok to park in a van accessible spot without a van, as long as you have a handicapped card, of course! If the only parking spaces say "van accessible" it really doesn't leave you much choice. Of course, if you don't drive a van and there's a choice of spaces, take the space not designated for a van.

Its interesting that disabled people are confused as to what's "right and proper" when using handicapped parking spaces, but so many people without any disability whatsoever have no scruples about parking in a handicapped space. Their attitude is what get me. The only thing I can say is " May God grant you you very own handicapped permit someday"

I don't understand. How do you fool Disney and get an extra room for caregiver?
Disney just gives rooms away if you take a caregiver?

I understand there is abuse going on ...holy cow, look on this board. Some of these same issues wouldn't have warranted a GAC just 5 years ago and now everyone and every diagnosis is almost granted a GAC!
ithe GAC is just better known now and people are using it to their advantage. You have two year old having meltdown in lines. How do you differantuate between the terrible two's/ three's and meltdowns? Where does disney draw the line?

There are people who definitely are not abusing and then there are the people who could get along without....but threaten to sue, and blah, blah, blah and there are those who are plain ignorant and abuse! I think these people should be prosecuted. You are if you park in a wheelchair parking lot if you don;t have the card....

Prehaps Disney should follow the motor vehicle act in regards to handicapped parking cards...Better next Disney fight the system and demand medical documentation. I have a disabled child and I have no problem producing documentation. Those who would fight this most likely have something to hide!

Go ahead and flame!

Charleyann
:mad:

No flames here!

Its just that if Disney started asking for medical documentation they would be in a position of somehow evaluating it. They're not medical personnel, they can't make a determination, puts them in an even more awkward spot. But you know, I do tend to agree with you, we're calling efverything a disability now. Seems its getting stretched a little at times!

No flames here!

Its just that if Disney started asking for medical documentation they would be in a position of somehow evaluating it. They're not medical personnel, they can't make a determination, puts them in an even more awkward spot. But you know, I do tend to agree with you, we're calling efverything a disability now. Seems its getting stretched a little at times!

Leave that for the doctors to decide! Just as the doctors / therapist do for diabled placecards! The Wish Foundation also have the doctor decide if a child is entitled to a wish....Disney could do the same. Draw up a form for doctos to sign....

Charleyann

Here we go again about what is a disability and providing evidence. Judging who is a faker and not.

I am one who currently does not have any evidence of my disability since I am refusing medical treatment in Florida. I am trying to not have any medical treatment for a number of years so that I MIGHT be able to qualify for Health Insurance! I spent much this morning in tears from the great deal of pain I am in. Then to top it off I read about people thinking we should have medical proof to get a GAC. I too live 40 min from Disney and frequent the parks, but usually 2-3 hours is the most I can handle. I don't have a parking plackard (my daughter does and take advantage of it when we are together). How might you say I try to get a GAC if you start with medical documentation?

I make it to work everyday and smile and act like nothing is wrong. Most people would never know what I go through to just make it another day. I want to FLAME those who think their disability is worse or think they deserve more than another. I just wish that we could combine our efforts rather than divide to help each other. I guess I just want the best for EVERYONE!

Thank you for letting me vent

Here we go again about what is a disability and providing evidence. Judging who is a faker and not.

I am one who currently does not have any evidence of my disability since I am refusing medical treatment in Florida. I am trying to not have any medical treatment for a number of years so that I MIGHT be able to qualify for Health Insurance! I spent much this morning in tears from the great deal of pain I am in. Then to top it off I read about people thinking we should have medical proof to get a GAC. I too live 40 min from Disney and frequent the parks, but usually 2-3 hours is the most I can handle. I don't have a parking plackard (my daughter does and take advantage of it when we are together). How might you say I try to get a GAC if you start with medical documentation?

I make it to work everyday and smile and act like nothing is wrong. Most people would never know what I go through to just make it another day. I want to FLAME those who think their disability is worse or think they deserve more than another. I just wish that we could combine our efforts rather than divide to help each other. I guess I just want the best for EVERYONE!

Thank you for letting me vent

What other way to you see that would stop the abuse? If it doesn't end , is Disney going to say enough is enough and do way with the GAC?

I am sorry you are sick and have to pretend to be well in order to gain health insurance! Sorry you have to forgo treatments....but what does that have to do with GAC? I was talking of abuse....At Disney do have to pretend to be well there? Can you be yourself?

I realize too, that disabilities are invisible.....but if you are that bad, then how do you forgo treatments? Is there no insurance for people without in USA?

Charleyann

:confused3

I realize too, that disabilities are invisible.....but if you are that bad, then how do you forgo treatments? Is there no insurance for people without in USA?

Charleyann

:confused3
No there isn't unless you are below the proverty line. If you are working and not on disability and your job doesn't provide insurance it is ALL out of pocket.

It is illegal for Disney to ask under ADA and I hope it stays that way. Disney is a private entity and should not be privy to my personal information.

To pretend to steal from Disney, but Disney can't open their months or they can be sued because the ADA states, blah, blah, blah. You know, you couldn't apply for diability benefits without proper documentation.
The same as the disabled parking cards. What would be the reason not to show proof of disability or illness?

Once again, People stand behind this(ADA) " It is illegal for Disney to ask" People use it to their advantage and threaten to sue, whether they are diabled or not. Once again it is usually someone who has something to hide!

Charleyann

To pretend to steal from Disney, but Disney can't open their months or they can be sued because the ADA states, blah, blah, blah. You know, you couldn't apply for diability benefits without proper documentation.
The same as the disabled parking cards. What would be the reason not to show proof of disability or illness?

Once again, People stand behind this(ADA) " It is illegal for Disney to ask" People use it to their advantage and threaten to sue, whether they are diabled or not. Once again it is usually someone who has something to hide!

Charleyann

:headache:
ok, now i think you are being rude, as well as wrong...

what about those of us waiting for a diagnosis? i am sick, but it is not documented yet. does that mean i am not really sick until it is diagnosed? did you know that lupus and EDS and MS and Parkinsons and many many other diseases can take over twenty years to diagnose? so until you are diagnosed, you have no problems?

what about people who only need help in special circumstances, like me? i do not need daily accommodations but i do need them while travelling...

btw, can you tell me by looking at a piece of paper that says I have EDS and CFS what i need? can you tell me how bad i am? what if you know someone whose EDS is mild, so you assume all people's are mild.

Disney is not a medical entity. They cannot judge what you need, nor is my personal health information any of their business. they would have to train every one of their employees in HIPAA and have many particular things in place to handle even requiring notes from drs. because if a dr discloses a medical condition, that employee needs to know how to handle the knowledge (i.e. what is their responsibility, who can they tell, who can they not tell, what can they ask, etc)

There is a reason it is illegal to make someone prove a disability. It also protects Disney, believe it or not.

honestly, not that many people cheat, and those of us who have do not have documentation are not trying to "hide." It's the Happiest $*&$@# place on earth, people, so lighten up!!!!!!

ok, flame away

KPeveler, NO flames from me because I completely agree.

I live quite well day to day. Some days are harder than others of course but I do better than "function".

Throw me out of my routine and it's a different story.

Going home to see my parents, vacations, even classes cancelled stresses me out. Add the crowds and added sensory input at Disney and I'm not the same person. My reaction to Disney surprised my best friends, and they see me handle stuff all the time. Besides, what doctor would imagine that I could handle a difficult master's program and not be able to handle Disney in the same manner. It wouldn't be based on diagnosis... If I had to show proof of "disability", I'm not sure if I would go back on principle. The CM's already saw me have a panic attack last trip... do they need to see another one, and another one, and another one just from standing in line? Seems kind of silly.

Yes, I do compensate and I'm not looking for help with "everything" at Disney but for those times of the day or moments where my compensation is lacking, some extra help is wonderful for me to continue my trip and enjoy my vacation.

Interesting to note that while Canada has medical insurance for all, :thumbsup2 Canada does not yet have a National Disabilities Act. :confused3
Sure some people "cheat" the system . . . but, not so many that it's worth doing away with the protections of the ADA, particularly around privacy and giving medical info to all sorts of private entities.

i realize i sounded rude, and i apologize if i offended anyone. i was just a little annoyed by some of the accusations!

i before you can say that you think Disney should require proof of disability, you should have to live with an invisible disability, that only requires accommodations in special circumstances.

I was stating my ospinion and stating it would eliminate the dishonest and those taking advantage of Disney . What happens when Disney says enough and pulls the plug on the GAC?.....everyone loses including those who really need the extra assistance.

Seaworld ask me my child diagnosis? It is in the computer now, so the next time all they have to do is look it up.

Again this wasn't aimed at you!

Charleyann

Disney can get rid of the GAC as a system, but they cannot get rid of the accommodations it provides. once again, that would be illegal.

also, do you care if seaworld were to publish your child's diagnosis on a weblog? what if they told a school, or a friend, or a job? do you trust them to keep it private? if i were seaworld, i would not want to know a child's diagnosis, since that is medical information, and if they request information from a dr or some other medical documentation, they would be bound by HIPAA law. that is just not something they want to deal with.

also, what if your diagnosis is something that is hard to understand, or even embarrassing? do you want to announce to a CM with a line of people behind you that you have problems with frequent urination and chronic flatulance??? Do you think a guywants to announce they recently had colon surgery? there are reasons why you are not allowed to ask...

also, how do you prove pain? there is no meter or blood test... or even more difficult, chronic fatigue? you can measure it or prove it, so disney can't make you prove it. because then they get into standards of "how disabled are you". if you only rate a 3 on the pain scale, you get this stamp, but if you rate a 8, then you get two stamps. that just doesnt make sense and isnt practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter