Is a Disney World vacation worth it anymore?

billyjobobb

Mouseketeer
I know there are alot of people asking if the Halloween party, dinner at such and such, etc is worth it, but we just got home and I'm starting to wonder if the whole thing is worth it anymore or if we should branch out?

I was set to buy in to DVC..... now I'm wondering what the value is of going back at all......

It used to be that I gladly allowed Disney to overcharge me. Now I am feeling like Disney has their hands in my pockets grabbing money. They no longer feel the need to entice me to spend money, they find ways to take it.

Want to fully experience Halloween? They have an up charge experience for that! Want into the Halloween party early? Join DVC! it only cost $16,000!

Lines too long? There's a great up charge event that has small crowds!

Didn't get that fastpass you really wanted? Stay at the resort and pay high room rates and you can get it!

need water to deal with the 100 degree day? $3.50 will get you a single bottle of water!

Wanna bring a car? There's a parking fee at the resort now!

How long until Disney imports the idea that if you pay more money you can get extra fastpasses?

Then add in that we went to the Disney outlet and if you want to park there you can either circle for hours or pay for the "premium" parking.

Got your eye on a few pins? One is passholder only, one requires that you have the Disney Visa and the other requires that you spend $100 and join D23......

Branch out! :)

I think we will still go to get our yearly “Disney fix” but we will be minimizing our spending and time spent there.

It sounds like it's a "no" for you. BUT, there's a great big world out there with plenty of places to experience.

I know there are alot of people asking if the Halloween party, dinner at such and such, etc is worth it, but we just got home and I'm starting to wonder if the whole thing is worth it anymore or if we should branch out?

I was set to buy in to DVC..... now I'm wondering what the value is of going back at all......

It used to be that I gladly allowed Disney to overcharge me. Now I am feeling like Disney has their hands in my pockets grabbing money. They no longer feel the need to entice me to spend money, they find ways to take it.

Want to fully experience Halloween? They have an up charge experience for that! Want into the Halloween party early? Join DVC! it only cost $16,000!

Lines too long? There's a great up charge event that has small crowds!

Didn't get that fastpass you really wanted? Stay at the resort and pay high room rates and you can get it!

need water to deal with the 100 degree day? $3.50 will get you a single bottle of water!

Wanna bring a car? There's a parking fee at the resort now!

How long until Disney imports the idea that if you pay more money you can get extra fastpasses?

Then add in that we went to the Disney outlet and if you want to park there you can either circle for hours or pay for the "premium" parking.

Got your eye on a few pins? One is passholder only, one requires that you have the Disney Visa and the other requires that you spend $100 and join D23......

It's still worth it to me, but I don't generally pay for any extras. I'm happy to use the bus, get free counter service water, rope drop popular rides if I don't get a fp, and stay at a value resort. :)

Free dining is still a draw for us each summer. If and when that goes away, we'll most likely start to cut back.

While Disney has gotten more expensive so has everyplace else... Do I agree with the pricing NO.. some things bug me.. In the same respect I just don't use those things.. no one says you have to buy water you can get a free cup of ice water or bring your own... for items that require a membership... that is nothing new anywhere Disney is just catching up... I can go on and on with things I do not like... I remember when Ohana was 12 bucks and they begged you to go and the food was far better than now.. Tickets well I will not go there.. but 12 years ago you could buy a 10 day non expiring park hopper with options for a little over 350 the expiring ones were less... But Disney does offer a unique experience has great crowd control which all other places lack including universal.... There are plenty of other places to explore and value is found by a beholder... Some will pay 20 bucks for a mickey bar and it will be the best things since sliced bread.. to others it is an ice cream bar they can elsewhere for a dollar....
Check out cruises which is another of my value (I enjoy them) vacations and not Disney but I do enjoy them as well... they will get you the middle of the ocean and fleece ya..... it was way different years ago

Disney makes you a captive audience and it's not like you can easily skip alot of the expenses. Eat before hitting the park but then there is still the fact you'll be there for 10 hours.....

bring in water and how long will that last? If it's over 100 degrees with the heat index, we're easily talking a bottle of water an hour. Yes, there is free water at the counter service restaurants, but those aren't always convenient and you gotta stand in line.....

10 days of being charged an extra $2 per bottle of water and we're talking $200... Spending $350 for bottled water? insane.

I still put money on the idea that Disney will monetize Star Wars. Wanna go from 8 to 10? that will be $100. Want to stay late for 2 hours? $150! Don't want to pay the extra? Just want to pay $125? You and 50,000 of your friends can stand in line for either the millennium Falcon attraction or the battle escape. The line will be so long that it will take all day.

Halloween party too crowded? go for a second time! Want a guaranteed spot for the fireworks? A dessert party is right for you!

Rising costs are inevitable, sure and i have no qualms with a company wanting to make a healthy profit - but rising the costs WHILE CUTTING SERVICES AND VALUE is unconscionable. Used to be all the resorts had nightly turn down service with chocolates and a character card wishing you good night. Now they've practically tripled the rack rates, got rid of the chocolates, the nightly character cards and the turn down service and they consider it a hassle if you want your room cleaned daily - in fact they'll happily give you a few Disney Dollars if you forego housekeeping!

Oh and now we'll charge you for parking your car at our resorts at night.

Yet the crowds just keep getting bigger. It's like a game. Did the price increase lower attendance? No? In fact, the crowds increased? Great! Let's raise the prices again and see what happens. And again. And again. It will keep happening until people stop coming. I'm glad we are Florida resident passholders and can at least skip the hotels and most meals.

bring in water and how long will that last? If it's over 100 degrees with the heat index, we're easily talking a bottle of water an hour. Yes, there is free water at the counter service restaurants, but those aren't always convenient and you gotta stand in line.....

Actually, you can just go right up to the counter and ask for water. I find it easy and convenient. We go in August and quite often they have prefilled cups ready to go.

10 days of being charged an extra $2 per bottle of water and we're talking $200... Spending $350 for bottled water? insane.

If you are lining up anyways, why not just ask for the free water? I guess for me, water is just not something I'm ever going to pay for, so the fact that the price went up, doesn't bother me.

We already go other places and thoroughly enjoy them. We still go to Disney, though not as often.
We've always been frugal by nature, so the extras - hard ticket venues - have never even tempted us.

We do stay onsite - FW - in our motor home and even though sites are expensive, we eat it.
We are not huge eaters so the cost of food does not bother us.(I do not cook on vacation there).

We call our motor home our 'DVC' but it is our 'home' on any trip we want to take, not limited to Disney, or it's whims.

Actually, you can just go right up to the counter and ask for water. I find it easy and convenient. We go in August and quite often they have prefilled cups ready to go.

If you are lining up anyways, why not just ask for the free water? I guess for me, water is just not something I'm ever going to pay for, so the fact that the price went up, doesn't bother me.

food and wine booths don't have free water. It is only table service restaurants. You have to know where those are, and most new visitors don't even know they can get free water there without buying anything.

food and wine booths don't have free water. It is only table service restaurants. You have to know where those are, and most new visitors don't even know they can get free water there without buying anything.
All counter service restaurants have free water, not just table service. Counter service restaurants are located all over the parks.

Disney makes you a captive audience and it's not like you can easily skip alot of the expenses. Eat before hitting the park but then there is still the fact you'll be there for 10 hours.....

I still put money on the idea that Disney will monetize Star Wars. Wanna go from 8 to 10? that will be $100. Want to stay late for 2 hours? $150! Don't want to pay the extra? Just want to pay $125? You and 50,000 of your friends can stand in line for either the millennium Falcon attraction or the battle escape. The line will be so long that it will take all day.
Did they get rid of the bubblers? We either bring a water bottle or refill the bottled water bottle.

Sure, prices have gone up but they’re a business. Prices have risen everywhere too. Nothing wrong with branching out though..

You're not forced to buy a bottled water or eat at the quick service places, you can always bring a sandwich and bottle of water in if you wish.

Yes the prices are getting really high. To high really, earlier today I responded on this subject pointing out our 1st Once And Done trip is 2006 cost me around $6000. Our 6th Once and Done Trip in 2021 will cost me around $25000-27000. It is worth it? Well I know 2 girls age 9 and 18 who say it is worth it. And that what makes me keep going back. They love it and I can actually go there and turn off my phone and make my OCD self have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter