Is Disney possible for us? (multiple moderate to severe invisible disabilities)

If you mean ' included' on dining reservations in parks....I would say yes. You must provide a meal for a KNO sitter after 6 hours, however if your family is dining and you won't have the sitter for a full 6 hour window you aren't required to pay for a meal. Personally I would feel awkward though if you needed help in a restaurant, so sitter came in to help but she wasn't invited to eat with you.
However, if you mean including the sitter on your resort reservation, no, you do not need to include her in your count. She is a ' visitor' at the resort. Be advised the sitter will not help in water activities...no baths, no pools or even pool areas.
We use kids nite out often, have always had great experiences with them. I hope this answers your question, but if you have any others about Kids nite out, I'm more than happy to answer! Hope trip planning goes well, that's part of the fun :)
I was thinking of the DAS request with a group of 7, but I am SO glad you explained these! Do you know how they handle Fort Wilderness? Will they stay in our camper and go into the campground activities if I left one there with them while taking another into the park?

I was thinking of the DAS request with a group of 7, but I am SO glad you explained these! Do you know how they handle Fort Wilderness? Will they stay in our camper and go into the campground activities if I left one there with them while taking another into the park?

We haven't stayed at FW, but I do believe they will come to your camper. As far as activities, they will take them to any activity that you request as long as it does not include any water play. They will feed them, sunscreen etc. They will also give text updates as often as you request.

The official cut off for das is 6 but very often they will allow more depending on circumstances. They will likely allow one extra but no way to know until you get there. But it sounds like your group may qualify for more than one das, so you can put some people on one das and the rest on another

I'm trying to figure out the multi-quote feature to more efficiently thank and respond to everyone. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I click the +Quote button, I get a header notice that the message was added to the multi-quote, I hit the reply button, and then only the last post quoted shows up in the reply.

I'm trying to figure out the multi-quote feature to more efficiently thank and respond to everyone. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I click the +Quote button, I get a header notice that the message was added to the multi-quote, I hit the reply button, and then only the last post quoted shows up in the reply.
Hit the + quote to the post you want to quote then go all the way down to where you see the empty box where you would tap inside to write a replay at the bottom of this is an “insert quote box tap this to insert the quote you have just tapped

Attachments

• 9444AEAB-F689-45D3-AEC1-6556B6670380.jpeg
    9444AEAB-F689-45D3-AEC1-6556B6670380.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3

“insert quote box tap this to insert the quote you have just tapped
Now we're trucking! Thank you!!

Thank you!! I read your thread, watched three videos on the Whill Ci, watched a few more on various travel chairs, a couple on using wheelchairs in Disney World, and looked up my insurance benefits. I do have experience using a power chair so I am confidant that between doctors, therapists, and rentals we can figure that all out. I'll follow up if the process brings any questions. Thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction!

While there is a company that makes an ECV with "towable" trailers, and even an additional towable seat as accessories, Disney World (and most public venues in the US) don't allow anything to be towed behind a personal mobility device, including ice chests. Disney World has a clearly stated rule of one person per device (or as we put it at our house, "one seat, one butt"). As you will see at WDW, it is for safety reasons.
Thanks! I found the 2015 EasyStroll which connects a stroller to the front, which is far safer than towing behind where you cannot see or control what's going on but they don't seem to have ever gone into production. There's a real need to support independent parenthood and a shame we haven't put the effort into doing so yet. But that doesn't change the reality of Disney for us so I'll focus on what's currently possible...

We are a family of 3 with moderate/severe physical and invisible disabilities and we are going to make it work.
We have planned for about 3 years before the trip. Done small scale practice runs at regional theme parks. YouTube videos to assist those of us with anxiety/on the spectrum and gleaned a ton of information from these boards.
Some of our strategies:
Booking rooms we want/need in advance (will do same for adr and FP)
We are planning on daily afternoon break of at least 4 hours and 10 hours between getting home one night and leaving next morning. We have two 1/2 water park days and 2 resort days.
We became very familiar with what resort does/does not have. Will have grocery and Amazon delivery to supplement what we need.
Rented medical supplies/mobility device.
Going to book non -stop flights and utilize TSA cares services.
YouTube, for planning, getting people to know what to expect of rides/food.
Physical conditioning: getting ourselves in top (for us) condition.
We are using a service to make a personalized plan for park days.
We will ask about a wheelchair tag and DAS when we arrive our first day.

We wanted to be pampered and are opting for using Disney transportation. I’d rather not worry about a rental. We are also going to do the dining plan. It works for our situation.

I found that for our family a lot of information was going to be read and use what applies in our particular mixed situation. I found videos to be the most helpful because oftentimes it was a fluke that the information I needed was there ( saw a dad handle two toddlers and a double stroller on the bus and that was one of my biggest anxieties until I saw this person do it), a post here finally helped us answer if our custom wheelchair was too wide for the resort room door ( it was). So we rented. We elected not to bring any extra people because we do us just fine day to day and in all our practices the personality mix of adding another person, even one without special needs, was too much on all of us, we had a better time going at a slower pace. But ymmv.

FWIW, we looked long and hard at Fort Wilderness and if we had the $ to do a cabin, car and golf cart rental I would have gone for it in a heartbeat. With a family of 6 people you would be limited somewhat if you all wanted to stay in 1 room.
Super helpful! I think there is a disability-friendly amusement park in the region. We haven't been to any parks in about 5 years so I will look into that for practice runs. I also mentioned your video idea to the teen who thought it worth trying out.

21 Questions: Are there any text-based media you'd recommend for my husband? Is the service you're using familiar with disability accommodations and needs? If so, would you mind mentioning it or PMing me? I feel like really knowledgeable advice could be indispensable for us while generic plans would make things worse.

There *are* things that Disney World does that can benefit you and your family. For example, they have a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag that will allow you to put your two littlest ones into a stroller, and it will be treated like a wheelchair everywhere (except on actual rides - then the kids will have to ride like everyone else).

They have the DAS system (there is a lot more info on that here - look at the first page of the DISabilites forum for a "pinned" post about the DAS) which may, or may not be helpful to you and your family.

Disney World has different types of Handicapped Accessible rooms at each Resort.

But, if your personal RV is more comfortable - and familiar - for your family, then that is where you should stay. :)

There are First Aid stations in every Park if you need one. You can find them on every map at Disney World, and they are open until just before fireworks every night.

You won't find any "scams" here, and unless you are trying to cheat the system somehow (and I don't think you are) then you will be fine. The folks in this corner of the DIS try to give out current, realistic advice. We don't talk about "Pixie Dust" (when a Disney Cast member "magically" makes something happen for your or your family on a one-time, surprise basis) because that sets an inappropriate expectation for you; not everyone gets "Pixie Dusted". We tell the truth, and we will all do everything we can to help you. The DISboards, in general, are a great place to get realistic information about every aspect of your WDW vacation.
I am so grateful for all this! I'll be coming back to re-read after I figure out the size and scope of the park and a typical visit to then see how we would need to modify for our needs and if that's possible. Thank you!

I by no means have experience with severe disabilities, my DS has a chronic disorder which can be disabling...but he isn't disabled. With that said, if you want to do this, then it probably can be done. I would suggest two things......one, plan for a three hour park window then rest of the day free. Two, call kidsnite out...they are sitters for hire, but will accompany you into parks as well. They do have sitters that are trained/ capable of handling special needs. You would need to call them and ask about specifics. They are a bit pricey....but may be a huge help to your family. I wish you well whatever you decide to do!
Thank you so much, Steph! :lovestruc

I will reiterate a bit of what others have said, but, hopefully add some useful tips. I would definitely consider either a monorail resort or an Epcot area resort and would pick the area based on which parks you plan on visiting the most.

I would definitely ask for the DAS at guest services at your first park and make your 3 FP+ per day prior to arriving. I would schedule your first FP+ for the time you think you can realistically get to the park. If it's in the afternoon, it's ok. My DS11 can really only handle half days in the parks and we typically do our 3 FP+, 1 DAS ride and then he is done. I can, sometimes, keep him in longer if the time is spent doing very leisurely things, (having a snack, looking in shops, etc.) but he just can't handle the lines and crowds for very long.
Super helpful! I don't understand the different resorts and fastpass stuff yet but I will in time and will re-read. What does your typical schedule look like? Are you breaking up your group to take turns, hiring sitters a lot, or something else?

We use kids nite out often, have always had great experiences with them. I hope this answers your question, but if you have any others about Kids nite out, I'm more than happy to answer! Hope trip planning goes well, that's part of the fun :)
Thank you! Do you know if I legit hire the Kids Night Out sitter to be a parents' helper for only one child, would I get charged for the presence of the other two children even though the helper didn't assist with them? I might need to call but that seems like it could be a fairly common question so I thought I'd ask.

As fair as forth wilderness goes you can get a spot but it can be hard, ( I would try as fair out as you can maybe go next year February- early march Monday - Friday as park days if you can)
Along with all the other good advice I would consider going at a cooler time. I live here and the fall is still HOT and gets people grumpy after a few hours.
Thank you both! What months tend to be less humid?

Now we're trucking! Thank you!!

Thank you!! I read your thread, watched three videos on the Whill Ci, watched a few more on various travel chairs, a couple on using wheelchairs in Disney World, and looked up my insurance benefits. I do have experience using a power chair so I am confidant that between doctors, therapists, and rentals we can figure that all out. I'll follow up if the process brings any questions. Thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction!

Thanks! I found the 2015 EasyStroll which connects a stroller to the front, which is far safer than towing behind where you cannot see or control what's going on but they don't seem to have ever gone into production. There's a real need to support independent parenthood and a shame we haven't put the effort into doing so yet. But that doesn't change the reality of Disney for us so I'll focus on what's currently possible...

Super helpful! I think there is a disability-friendly amusement park in the region. We haven't been to any parks in about 5 years so I will look into that for practice runs. I also mentioned your video idea to the teen who thought it worth trying out.

21 Questions: Are there any text-based media you'd recommend for my husband? Is the service you're using familiar with disability accommodations and needs? If so, would you mind mentioning it or PMing me? I feel like really knowledgeable advice could be indispensable for us while generic plans would make things worse.

I am so grateful for all this! I'll be coming back

Thank you! Do you know if I legit hire the Kids Night Out sitter to be a parents' helper for only one child, would I get charged for the presence of the other two children even though the helper didn't assist with them? I might need to call but that seems like it could be a fairly common question so I thought I'd ask.

Thank you both! What months tend to be less humid?

You will only pay for the child that you ask them to help with. Very easy, but you will also need to pay for the kids nite out sitter's park ticket if they are a helper in the park versus staying at the resort to watch the child. I've used kids nite out sitter's many trips, but only taken them into the park once now. I feel like it was a bit harder that way to be honest. My DD1 only still wanted to be with me, I had brought her into park so I could do bigger rides with DS10... Bit found myself still doing all the changing, feeding etc because it was easier...then she screamed the two rides we walked away to do. It has been easier for us to leave her at the resort.

Last edited:
you might want to look into doing a VIP tour ( Disney dose offer this and it is very pricey) but out side people do this too. Most have 6 hour minimal but it would give you an extra hand while at the park most have a good idea of how the park traffic flow they can sit with a child too short to ride help push the stroller be a runner for food

There's a real need to support independent parenthood
There is a need - but such a setup would likely exceed Disney's size restrictions.
you might want to look into doing a VIP tour ( Disney dose offer this and it is very pricey)
As of this morning (when I was looking for information on the group tours), Private VIP Tour starts at $425 an hour, minimum six hours, over six hours you pay for the guide's meal.

There is a need - but such a setup would likely exceed Disney's size restrictions.

As of this morning (when I was looking for information on the group tours), Private VIP Tour starts at $425 an hour, minimum six hours, over six hours you pay for the guide's meal.
Did not say it was cheep and I think thst is Disney you quoted at 625 Disney ones ( and Mickey picks up there food) out side ones while they can not do everything Disney tour guide can do they can still offer a helping hand.

I’ve found this site to have good information about using a wheelchair at Disney.
http://www.rollingwiththemagicblog.com/start-here/
Bookmarked and started reading. Thanks!

You will only pay for the child that you ask them to help with. Very easy, but you will also need to pay for the kids nite out sitter's park ticket if they are a helper in the park versus staying at the resort to watch the child. I've used kids nite out sitter's many trips, but only taken them into the park once now. I feel like it was a bit harder that way to be honest. My DD1 only still wanted to be with me, I had brought her into park so I could do bigger rides with DS10... Bit found myself still doing all the changing, feeding etc because it was easier...then she screamed the two rides we walked away to do. It has been easier for us to leave her at the resort.
I seem to recall Disneyland's child care options having people who already have a season pass and the child care people could take them into the kiddie sections of the park, or something like that. I don't know because I didn't use it. Is anything like that available in Florida or do they only stay with you? I'd expect to have the same experiences as you.

Thank you for looking that up and sharing it! Does that include the day's tickets or just the guide? Us plus paying for a helper's tickets might make that a competitive option for one day if it includes tickets.

Bookmarked and started reading. Thanks!

I seem to recall Disneyland's child care options having people who already have a season pass and the child care people could take them into the kiddie sections of the park, or something like that. I don't know because I didn't use it. Is anything like that available in Florida or do they only stay with you? I'd expect to have the same experiences as you.

Thank you for looking that up and sharing it! Does that include the day's tickets or just the guide? Us plus paying for a helper's tickets might make that a competitive option for one day if it includes tickets.

Unfortunately, no :( the kids nite out sitter's according to the line you call aren't supposed to use their annual pass even if they have one.....not sure why. I can tell you that I have had only one sitter that actually had an annual pass....you won't know until they get there and then they won't have brought it with them ( evidently they aren't supposed to use it while working) even if they do have one.....maybe someone else will know the reason why?If you need a sitter multiple days you can ask for the same sitter though. You are also HIGHLY encouraged to tip the sitter each day.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no :( the kids nite out sitter's according to the line you call aren't supposed to use their annual pass even if they have one.....not sure why. I can tell you that I have had only one sitter that actually had an annual pass....you won't know until they get there and then they won't have brought it with them ( evidently they aren't supposed to use it while working) even if they do have one.....maybe someone else will know the reason why?If you need a sitter multiple days you can ask for the same sitter though. You are also HIGHLY encouraged to tip the sitter each day.
Thanks! What's a typical tip percentage/amount for them?

Thanks! What's a typical tip percentage/amount for them?
I normally only book the minimum 4 hours, but am generally back within 2.5 hours. I am still charged for the 4 hours plus I give a $20 tip. I believe they are $18 an hour 4 hour minimum... Plus $10 transportation fee.

I know.... outrageous pricing, but they are really good. I had never left my DS or DD with anyone before ( no sitters/ daycare and we homeschool.) It was really hard for us to leave DD1 the first time....DH left a nanny cam in the room. The sitter was amazing!

We are a family of 3 with moderate/severe physical and invisible disabilities and we are going to make it work.
We have planned for about 3 years before the trip.
Some of our strategies:
Booking rooms we want/need in advance (will do same for adr and FP)

When you say booking rooms in advance, do you mean booking rooms extremely early to get the rooms you need? Just an FYI for others reading these posts - Disney is not the place to go without a resort reservation if you want to stay onsite! No one should just show up at one of the resorts and ask if a room is available :) We did that twice, many, many years ago. We drive down and showed up one day early for our reservation. The first time we got lucky and they had a room, then second time, no rooms available except one that cost 3X more than what we were paying for the rest of our trip. So getting rooms, ADRs and FP+ booked as early as possible is a must for a smooth trip, IMO.

For sure I would hire someone to go with you, there are many services that offer it (Extra Hands, Theme Park Nannies, Fairy Godmothers). Also watch lots of youtube videos with the kids so they know what to expect on the rides, the lines, etc. Can any of your therapists help make some social stories for different situations the kids might have difficulty with? I like the idea of you being able to escape to your own space in the campground, that also means you can split up and maybe have some one on one time with the kids who are able to manage more time in the parks...

Also the option of having a day or two when you don't go into the parks. There's plenty of "Disney magic" for all ages to soak up without a park ticket. We enjoy taking the monorail all the way around the resort loop, and hanging out at all of the monorail resorts. Most of the Disney resorts have time guide of activities like outdoor movies or kids dance parties. At Fort Wilderness, they have a campfire sing-along with Chip and Dale, as well as the Tri-Circle-D Ranch where you can visit the horses and watch a blacksmith, or pay to take a wagon/buggy/pony ride.

Some resorts (play Contemporary and Grand Floridian are the ones that spring to mind) have restaurants where costumed characters come around and visit your table. They're mostly buffets, which can have their own challenges for people with disabilities, and they're not the cheapest meals on-site, but it can be a great way for kids to meet characters without having to get a FastPass or stand in line.

Just riding the monorail and the various boats that run from resorts can be fun and relaxing.

there are several places outside of the parks where you can watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks show and the electrical water pageant;

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter